• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It can't be ;_;
tumblr_n62hkl2xib1spiuxqo2_250.gif

You managed to find a picture where she looks ugly. I'm impressed.

Xemnas89

Oh my god it's almost here. It's been such a long wait but it'll be good to have this show back again. Still a little sad that Michael Pitt didn't come back but I have hope in the new Mason.

I like how much Fuller communicates with the fanbase, shows his appreciation and interest in what they're saying or doing (i.e., fan art), etc. However, I think it would be best if he didn't lay out the trajectory of the season. These comments can be avoided if you're careful, but I still think there should be radio silence with regards to upcoming arcs, episodes, and new or returning characters. I mean, hasn't Fuller already outlined the broad strokes of this season (i.e., "this batch of episodes is this, and then we do this, and then there's this")? He's also provided a synopsis of the first episode, right?

Some of his comments are vague, of course, but this still strikes me as a bit unusual. I don't recall any other show runner doing something similar. I mean, I can't imagine Vince Gilligan outlining the broad strokes of Season 4 of Breaking Bad, for example.

I think that maybe this is deemed more necessary in the case of a show like Hannibal, as it ostensibly serves to draw in more viewers and consolidate the existing fans, etc. Personally, I prefer the Matthew Weiner mode of showmanship, wherein almost nothing is ever revealed in advance of an episode.

Spectacular OP. Major kudos to all involved.

Just a heads up for UK Hannibal GAF, Sky Living will be showing this June 10. No more long wait as was the case with seasons 1 and 2.

TripOpt55

Caught up on this during the winter. Pretty excited to be able to watch weekly now. Didn't realize it was premiering so soon.

The controller at Sky who put this show on Living deserves a slap.

Why? Should it be on Atlantic where Virgin and BT viewers can't watch? Kill its ratings before an episode even airs?

Living has great US shows. Hannibal and Blacklist are on my sky+.

Camwi

God, I can't fucking wait. Haven't watched any trailers for the new season because the end of season 2 is hype enough for me.

Such a great fucking show.

The poster in the original post is phenomenal, fantastic work there! I'm really excited for the premiere.

SuperCollider said:
However, I think it would be best if he didn't lay out the trajectory of the season. These comments can be avoided if you're careful, but I still think there should be radio silence with regards to upcoming arcs, episodes, and new or returning characters. I mean, hasn't Fuller already outlined the broad strokes of this season (i.e., "this batch of episodes is this, and then we do this, and then there's this")? He's also provided a synopsis of the first episode, right?

Some of his comments are vague, of course, but this still strikes me as a bit unusual. I don't recall any other show runner doing something similar. I mean, I can't imagine Vince Gilligan outlining the broad strokes of Season 4 of Breaking Bad, for example.

I think that maybe this is deemed more necessary in the case of a show like Hannibal, as it ostensibly serves to draw in more viewers and consolidate the existing fans, etc. Personally, I prefer the Matthew Weiner mode of showmanship, wherein almost nothing is ever revealed in advance of an episode.

You are correct in that Fuller's comments are rather unique as far as the 'big' shows go, but Hannibal is an interesting case in that we knew the direction of the show before the very first episode; they would have to go through the Minesota Shrike case, lead to Hannibal being caught, and go through Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, and Hannibal, before concluding on their own terms. While there was always uncertainty on those few seasons before we got to Red Dragon (in whether they would last one, two, or three seasons), and while the show plan has since changed and won't be exactly as the viewer may have thought coming into the show, we have always had a rough idea of the trajectory that the show would go even if we didn't know the minutiae. In comparison to the shows you have mentioned such as Breaking Bad where the most we knew from the beginning is that Walter would have a visible decline (or alternatively would slip into who he always was), or Mad Men where we could have assumed it would cover most of the decade, the viewer is in a much more knowledgeable position and Fuller doesn't have the same luxury.

Part of the draw of Hannibal has always been that we know more or less where it's going to go, and have a rough idea of what's going to happen, but Fuller, aware of the knowledge we have going into the show, is able to subvert expectations, offer surprises by playing on those expectations, and build huge amounts of tension all the while pushing us towards a conclusion we more or less know. Consider, for example, the end of the second season. We knew Hannibal was going to get caught before it began, yet there was still tension and shocks over what actions Will would take, when and how people would find out, what Jack knew, DuMaurier's role, how the Verger's would play into the conclusion, and who would die in the fight. By showing us the confrontation with Jack in the beginning of the first episode, tension built throughout the season, and we wondered what precisely would lead to that situation, only to have the surprise that Hannibal, himself, invited Jack for a confession, and that the context of the fight is far more muddled than we first believed. Without knowing the confrontation would happen, while there is still tension building, it is too a much lesser extent as Will's plan at no point seems to involve a dramatic fight with Hannibal until the first ten minutes of the final episode have passed (so you're only getting ten minutes of dramatically heightened tension when everything goes wrong rather than starting the moment Will resumes his therapy. Most importantly, however, by knowing about the fight (but not when it would happen, which builds tension early on too as it doesn't need to happen in the final episode), and noting Will's absence, Fuller is able to play upon the idea of Will betraying Jack in the latter half of the season much more strongly than he otherwise could have, as we are always considering (while Hannibal is seducing Will and vice versa) why, exactly, Will is absent from the fight, whereas without it a betrayal from Will, while credible, does not have as much evidence that it has happened. We also must consider that we knew that Hannibal would have to be caught at some point in the second season based upon the first if the show were to remain anyway credible (in the context of the show not being dragged out), so why conceal that when we all knew what was coming for no purpose?

Fuller could certainly adopt a Matthew Weiner-level of radio silence if he desired, but it would seem rather pointless because as soon as viewers recognise a character who already exists in the Hannibal universe, we are going to know exactly where he's going with it so it's rather pointless. There is, also, of course what you've mentioned regarding it being a draw for new viewers and consolidating existing fans, but I think for an operatic, surreal show such as Hannibal, having a giddy showrunner who is so overjoyed at the prospect of making and releasing a new season that he starts to let broad details about the season slip, is very fitting, and makes it notable how much of a passion project this is for him (even if, of course, for other showrunners and a guarantee that he won't mess up the material by dragging things out far longer than is feasible (knowing the outline of last season, for example, we knew that Will wouldn't be in the cell for the entire season and thus wouldn't wear out it's welcome).

EDIT: I got kind of carried away; short answer is it's somewhat unusual but it allows him to defy expectations, acknowledge that we aren't stupid and know roughly where things are going to a much more accurate degree than we do in other shows, builds tension, indicates his passion for the project and that he will continue to treat the material with the respect it deserves, entices new viewers while consolidating fans, and is suitable for the type of ushow that it is.

I've been rewatching Season 2 to prepare this week. I've also convinced my Mom to watch the show, but she's all the way back in Season 1. I don't think she'll catch up in time :(

LaneDS

Bah, didn't think the OP would spoil who lives
Jack specifically
since they had been pretty good at not advertising that. Not blaming the OP, which is great, by the way.

Super excited for this to start up again.

Zaph

Bah, didn't think the OP would spoil who lives
Jack specifically
since they had been pretty good at not advertising that. Not blaming the OP, which is great, by the way.

Super excited for this to start up again.

Yeah, it got me too. The Hannibal OT's are a bit of an outlier compared to other ones - because the source material is quite well known and Fuller himself talks freely about almost everything, so it's really easy to be spoiled here. Happened to me a couple times during S2. Best avoided completely if you're sensitive to that.

-griffy-

Banned
Awesome OT TheOddOne, and great art Feran. For posterity/curiosity I went through my post history to find when the OT title was created, and found it on October 14, 2014. The early frontrunner was named the victor in the end. Not bad.

This is also a reminder that we have a small but active Hannibal community here that posts and follows news even during the off season!

Excellent OT! I'm honored :)

Feran, YES!!! It looks great, EXCELLENT work!

On top of all this, found that my $10 HD tuner picks up our local NBC channel and in 1080! I AM SO READY.

I don't recommend reading that synopsis. It basically reveals
that Hannibal will get caught midway through the season, and that Jack will live at least until then. Also that Alana survived the finale, though that's probably been spoiled for everyone at this point.

Regardless, I am hyped as fuck. As someone who adores Michael Mann's Manhunter, I can't wait for this particular take on the story.

Mumei

It's barely more than a week away, and it still feels like forever. >_<

Edit: Oh, and the OP is fantastic. Excellent job to everyone involved. <3

nin1000

Banned
I cant wait ! super hyped for this Season. Besides true detective, this is the most Series i am looking for this year.

Top Bottom