• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conker available for use in Project Spark

LastNac

It was tough to be in the actual audience at the show. You could hear people gasp with excitement and sigh with disappointment.

This was a huge punch in the gut.

GoodlifeX

I held a long middle finger up at the screen after the Conker moment. Seriously, who the hell was supposed to be happy about that?

Niwa

I seriously thought that Conker would hijack the Trailer and suprise the fuck out of us with a new Game, and then this? Wow.

Montresor

Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Europe or Asia where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to play Project Spark, nor will they purchase any XB1 games or systems. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and announce a new Conker game for XB1 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I very much doubt, after Seavor was sacked from Rare, that he'd be willing to simply work on a paltry Conker PS pack. It seems to me that MS is finally listening to the right people. I'm sure Ken Lobb has to do as much as Phil Spencer, if not more, with all the right moves they're making in terms of putting their existing IP to good use. This is the first time in years I'm excited about anything Rare.

Well said.

And having played with Project Spark on Windows, it's a joke of a game/tool.

This announcement on top of Ken Lobb coming out and NOT announcing Perfect Dark or Kameo (FFS I thought for sure those elemental icons were Kameo for sure) shows how far out of touch MS really are with their fans.

They announced Phantom Dust. A remake to a game that sold like 70000 copies because they saw it on Twitter a lot. That's not exactly out of touch.

However the way they presented the Conker thing was a let down. They could have said "hey, we put Conker in Project Spark!" And had him show up in a live demo or something.

It did look like an announcement was coming.

Hopefully they bring back more Rare remakes.

manual4

Banned

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Europe or Asia where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to play Project Spark, nor will they purchase any XB1 games or systems. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and announce a new Conker game for XB1 or you can kiss your business goodbye.
lol

Alx

Is it possible for a dedicated fan to remake the entire Conker game on Project Spark?

I don't know much about it, so I don't know if the game works as presented.

I'm not entirely familiar with Conker's content, but Project Spark is a very powerful tool that could recreate most platformer gameplays and environments. Specific things like Mario Sunshine and its mud removal may not be possible, but a character running/jumping/climbing around should be easy enough (especially now that you can create your own animations with kinect).
Project Spark doesn't support multi-level games at the moment though, but it is planned for future updates.

Oh and people are still complaining about the E3 trailer ? Ok it was deceptive and left many people disappointed, but it's not the end of the world.

Never gets old haha. Thumbsup.gif

edit: I feel I should tell people who might not be familiar with this that it's a meme on here :p

I saw two guys highfive the moment Conker showed up. Watching their hands slowly fall down when they realized the announcement wasn't for a full Conker game was too sad.

Well damn...

LastNac

I saw two guys highfive the moment Conker showed up. Watching their hands slowly fall down when they realized the announcement wasn't for a full Conker game was too sad.

I actually see it being quite cool to have a make your own Conker tool set within Project Spark.

Still a huge kick in the nuts though and should never have been announced during the E3 conference.

Vico

SoGood.gif

Ooccoo

I'm still mad. It's been days and I can't get over the fact they just shat on fans that were begging for a new game in the series.

Kampfheld

Banned
As I said before, I am 100% sure we will get a real new Conker this generation.

LpxU7bA.png

And now, I am at 117%.

Hindl

LpxU7bA.png

And now, I am at 117%.

Eh. Until it's announced I'm not assuming anything. It's reminding me of all the teasing Sony has been doing recently (vib-ribbon, crash, etc). Hopefully something comes of that tho, Phil has been doing good things lately

LpxU7bA.png

And now, I am at 117%.

Giving them the assets doesn't stop them from doing anything with him.

But lack of the original talent that made him, disinterest in pursuing anything other than the shooting and driving crowd, and lack of internal studios does.

Phil S.

Banned
I didn't see this live. I read about it hours after, so I wasn't lured into thinking of a new Conker game. Thus, my disappointment wasn't as high as others.

That said, this Project Spark game looks mighty interesting.

Kampfheld

Banned
This non-answer is like asking Microsoft whether a Tiptup game is possible.

lol

What do people expect?

Posting on Twitter and announcing a new game due to a random tweet question?

So far, Phil was always very clever with his tweets. He made various hints about Halo MCC, Horizon 2, Phantom Dust and so on. I am not saying it will happen but ... It will.

jim2011

But lack of the original talent that made him, disinterest in pursuing anything other than the shooting and driving crowd, and lack of internal studios does.

Well they did get the original voice actor back for that announcement didn't they?

Mael

After what they did to Jet Force Gemini, I'm not sure what people expected from a Conker apparition considering Seavor is not on MSFT payroll anymore.
It did nothing to make me want to pay attention to Project Spark that's for sure.

Ooccoo

Conker won't happen.

Chris Seavor is now working at Gory Detail Limited (indie studio)

Robin Beanland I'm not sure.

But most of the talent from Rare already left, so even if we do get Conker it will suck unless you get these two guys on board.

Alx

"Lack of original talent" shouldn't be an issue. It's not like the 90s had the exclusivity on good game creators, and that those who leave can't be replaced.
The genre may be a bigger problem indeed, because you don't see that many action/platformers any more. Or their gameplay changed a lot with time (Assassin's Creed, Crackdown or Infamous are no Conker). Publishers probably consider there's no market big enough for the genre any more. Maybe they're wrong, or maybe not.
As for internal studios... well they outsourced Killer Instinct and the result isn't half bad.

Well they did get the original voice actor back for that announcement didn't they?

You're right, hiring V/O artist is like, 90% of the project done.

EDIT:
"Lack of original talent" shouldn't be an issue. It's not like the 90s had the exclusivity on good game creators, and that those who leave can't be replaced.

Some people think that the Telltale Monkey Island and Sam & Max games are great, but I don't.
They lack the wit of the originals and come off like half-rate fanfics.

I don't trust in 'fans of the original' replicating the original.

shinnn

lol

What do people expect?

So far, Phil was always very clever with his tweets. He made various hints about Halo MCC, Horizon 2, Phantom Dust and so on. I am not saying it will happen but ... It will.
Crackdown.

iceatcs

lol

What do people expect?

He got a lot of twitters from the fans but only reply if it is part of future plan. Simple but effective like you thought he's so clever or some thought Phil doing all the job.

Alx

I don't either. That's why one shouldn't count on "fans", but on people able to bring their own touch to the game, and probably make it better. Or at least make it different (why would we want the same game anyway ?)
Seing a serie as something sacred that should be truthful to the original and only handled by the original creators is the best way to tie their hands.

Silky

Banned

EDIT:

Some people think that the Telltale Monkey Island and Sam & Max games are great, but I don't.

Play Killer Instinct and get back to me.

Mael

Conker is Seavor, without him there's no need to even begin to entertain the idea of making a sequel or anything.
Proof of that is that they actually contacted him to do the voicework because even at MSFT they know that without Seavor Conker is nothing that interesting to begin with.
Better ask for a Banjo sequel or something else entirely, Conker without Seavor is pretty much not Conker.
I'm not speaking about the VA here but the script really and everything about it.

jim2011

EDIT:

Why get him at all for a single announcement?

Ridiculous. For starters, you are in a Project Spark thread.

Anyway, in other news, Rare are now looking for a new Art Director, Lead Services Programmer, and a Principal Rendering Engineer.

Hindle

Banned
It's going to happen.

Seavour used to despise MS and their management. Now that they've had a change, he's doing voice work for the character again? I think Him and Phil have had a good sit down.

Fliesen

Blues Brothers 2000 was fucking awful.

Star Wars Episode 1-3 sucked, while the 2 new Star Trek movies were - while quite 'different' - great fun for me (and my girlfriend!).

in no way am i saying that i think a new Conker game's going to be good or even made, though.

Top Bottom