• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 1 PSN account per Vita - Cancel your preorders :(

MightyKAC

Not a huge deal for me.

I'm gonna be the only one playing on mine and if there's a must have import only game for it I'll just buy the physical copy (provided there is one but that's not usually an issue for Japanese games).

Although I do see why this could be a PITA for some if not an out right deal breaker for others.

entremet

That's exactly how the PSP works. No biggie.

I'll get physical copies for imports since it's region free.

Tizoc

What if you can DL Vita stuff on your PS3 then transfer it to the Vita?
For example, you can DL Vita DLC content, connect your Vita to the PS3 and copy to it.
That should be possible right?

Volcynika

For example, you can DL Vita DLC content, connect your Vita to the PS3 and copy to it.

I'm assuming the account used to buy the content has to be activated on the Vita in order to play it.

Corto

That content will be tied to that PS3/PSVita account.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
This is far from the "one" thing that makes the Vita better than the 3DS.

oh dont get me wrong, ill be getting a vita day one, but its still sad that it has some huge bummers they held back till launch, memstick prices, region locking, (ridge racer was my most wanted launchgame :( ), no video out

Durante

I loved pretty much everything about Vita so far (and could deal with the mem prices), but this is a huge blow. It's still not as bad as being fully region locked, but as someone who wanted to go mostly digital on the system it's a huge blow.

I guess it's time to root for the hackers again.

Tizoc

I'm assuming the account used to buy the content has to be activated on the Vita in order to play it.

Hmm is that so? Because I once copied a PSX game I DLed off PSN to my cousin's PSP and it worked fine; he didn't even have the account I bought the PSX game with.

Zaptruder

Banned
Go Gaffers. Do your good work. Rail against the machine until they change their policy.

In the mean time, I'll sit on the sidelines and wait it out.

coopolon

Damn, they are trying to make this thing as a bitter a pill to swallow as possible. It's like they want to give people every possible excuse to not buy it.

Suzzopher

Can I change my Euro PSN account to an American one? As in my profile Suzzopher, could it change region to America? I don't want to rely on SCEE for content going forward and don't want to lose all my friends, trophies and content by going with a new American account.

Deepo

Damn.

This is a deal breaker for me. I was hoping I'd be able to buy games with my US account and play with my EU account for trophies. This, on top of the memory card prices, makes this an easy choice.

Yes, I know, "cancelling my preorder" and all that. But this really isn't the system for me. Shame.

So basically they won't let us buy DLCs, psp games, ps1 ps2(if it comes) and digital from more than 1 region. So much for promoting their store. Looks like people who don't buy digital have 0 problems with playing across regions. Wonder if that means ps4 will also limit you to one account.

Importer solution: buy local stuff in physical form, don't buy any DLC. All your imports have access to the whole store. So this works out for heavy importers but not light importers. Am I getting this right?

The opposite is possible for light importers but then you lose most of the benefits of digital media (no massive shipping fees and delays)

I guess people who game on an account that is not for the region their games are are also screwed if they want to keep friend lists and trophies consistent. Luckily this news doesn't seem to affect me too much except I'll never be able to buy NA DLC or game archives (care meter near 0).

MightyKAC

So if the content is bound by the purchasing account then what reason is there to make consumers jump through hoops just to access another account?

Sony is really asking for this thing to get hacked.

Majine

Banned
I swear every new console/handheld goes through a Good News period and then Bad News period as the launch gets closer.

Yes, but presumably the Vita will work the same way as the PSP did, where only one PS3 account can be associated with the PSP at the same time. So you'd have to restore factory settings to use a different region account on the Vita.

Frankly, it's not a deal-breaker for me, but it is pretty disappointing. I love the fact that with the PS3 I've been able to buy software and DLC from Europe, Japan and the US.

Also, as the Vita is region free, presumably if I bought a US game and played it on my EU account, I wouldn't be able to use any DLC for the game unless I restored factory settings and loaded a US account?

Dunan

This is ridiculous; it's like they're asking the CFW-developer crowd to get a running start.

What was wrong with the PSP log-out-then-log-in system? And will the Vita require a login just to operate? My PSP has never been logged into the PSN.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Thrakier said:
If it's like PSP that won't work. PS3 only copies to PSPs with the same account activated.
Nope.
PS3 force-activates the PSP into whatever account you're copying from, so it makes for an easy way to switch accounts on your PSP if you have one around. But you can also do it on PSP by itself, as long as you don't mind retyping passwords.

The description for Vita suggests you will only be able to change account by a system reset. Personally the most I see as a downside to this is early-access to demos on different stores, spreading purchases across regions is already difficult with all the CreditCard restrictions in place.

Corto

Can I change my Euro PSN account to an American one? As in my profile Suzzopher, could it change region to America? I don't want to rely on SCEE for content going forward and don't want to lose all my friends, trophies and content by going with a new American account.

This is exactly why this is a royal kick in the nuts. Because of Sony implementing the trophies/social/friends system from the start on Vita you pretty much have to stuck with your main account. That if you want to take advantage of all those features. It's not possible for you to migrate your profile to a new region account.

Suzzopher

This is exactly why this is a royal kick in the nuts. Because of Sony implementing the trophies/social/friends system from the start on Vita you pretty much have to stuck with your main account. That if you want to take advantage of all those features. It's not possible for you to migrate your profile to a new region account.

Well looks like I am stuck with Andy King :(

Xater

Also us Europeans are being held captive by the shittier version of PSN thanks to SCEE.

Just so I know if I am keeping score right, and please tell me if I am wrong, but the PSP Vita currently has:

- Locked at 1 account
- Expensive proprietary memory cards
- Low battery life (Under 6 hours for a handheld)
- Capped downloads over 3G
- 3G that requires AT&T
- No free backwards compatibility with PSP disk games
- Doesn't support Video out
- No removable battery

I'm still tempted to pre-order so I am really hopping I'm wrong about some of these assumptions.

Somnid

I swear every new console/handheld goes through a Good News period and then Bad News period as the launch gets closer.

It's true and that's simply because as launch approaches we get more information and that sometimes conflicts with our most ideal usage of the system. There will be a ton of hype when the system releases and somewhere around month 2 or 3 it'll be the butt of all trolling on NeoGaf because it'll lack a good content stream and in the mean time people will make up shit about how certain launch games are actually really good even though no one will care about them after year 1. It's standard for any hardware launch.

This affects me in a big way as someone who has very active US/UK/JPN accounts on PS3 and PSP. I'm planning on buying a Japanese Vita next month, but missing out on the convenience of UK points cards and the UK/US marketplaces is something to consider.

Anyway, I could have sworn a few months ago someone at Sony confirmed that you would be able to have multiple accounts per system.

It's true and that's simply because as launch approaches we get more information and that sometimes conflicts with our most ideal usage of the system. There will be a ton of hype when the system releases and somewhere around month 2 or 3 it'll be the butt of all trolling on NeoGaf because it'll lack a good content stream and in the mean time people will make up shit about how certain launch games are actually really good even though no one will care about them after year 1. It's standard for any hardware launch.

pretty much. remember when people thought that like, EVERY announced Vita game was going to be available at launch? some of it's just silly hype like that, but this is kind of different.

format your system to log into it as someone else? who predicted that nonsense.

Corto

Well looks like I am stuck with Andy King :(

Physical media should be OK, but those crazy japanese games and the sweet, sweet deals on PSN USA are a bit more cumbersome to get now. I think I'll stuck with my PSP USA account because of the better prices though. I don't care of the trophies.

This just kills the Vita vor me :(

The account system on PSP was bad and I was 100% sure that Sony would fix it but this is even worse. Hell, I already created an US account and bought PS1 games just to put them on my Vita :(

I'm sad :(

Varion

Just so I know if I am keeping score right, and please tell me if I am wrong, but the PSP Vita currently has:
[snip]
I'm still tempted to pre-order so I am really hopping I'm wrong about some of these assumptions.
Yep to all the above.

Kyoufu

Old news but yeah, this sucks... I was intending on switching accounts through some means, but I guess we can't...

V_Ben

Banned
Physical media should be OK, but those crazy japanese games and the sweet, sweet deals on PSN USA are a bit more cumbersome to get now. I think I'll stuck with my PSP USA account because of the better prices though. I don't care of the trophies.

I'm glad SCEE got the PS1 imports off the ground before this thing launched... at least things are improving over here :/

Kyoufu

Maybe if we bitch about this enough they'll add multiple account support in a future firmware update..

Right?

...Right?

Corto

hehehe I would bet that everyone that says that this is the same system PSP uses are from USA. Us europeans are the ones that use multi region content the most I bet!

Top Bottom