• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Vigil Games (2005-2013)

Damn it, Kotaku. Twitter isn't a citable source of information

Good luck to the guys at Vigil. I wonder if Inaba is being serious.

Kotaku's translation of Inaba's tweet is heavily misleading. Their translation, "We want to buy Platinum Games on the cheap," makes it seem like Inaba is speaking on behalf of the company.

To me his tweet DEFINITELY feels like more of a personal desire of Inaba's...kind of like he's saying "I want to buy it!" in a joking way.

PG and Darksiders could transform into something more in the future, but this seems like Inaba being silly at the moment. It shouldn't be used as proof for anything, Kotaku.

Then again, it should be common sense not to trust Kotaku around these parts.

Let Vigil port their games to PC?

Considering the outcry over the darksiders 2 pc settings, I don't know if that's a good idea.

Purely selfish but id be happy with tragic and the combat team being folded into platinum and put to work on smaller mobile and psn action titles. Something like bloodrayne but with a deeper combat system.

If they did take up the darksiders IP I'd love that too but only if joe mad was lured back in a consulting role.

scitek

Considering the outcry over the darksiders 2 pc settings, I don't know if that's a good idea.

I know they lacked options, but I'd take Darksiders-level PC ports of Platinum Games' titles. They ran well enough. Regardless, Vigil have PC experience, and Platinum were looking into self-publishing on Steam at one point. They wouldn't need the whole studio to do something like that, either.

ban25

Yeah I thought that until the chapter 11 stuff us all done with its not a closed book. THQ said they're still asking for buyers for vigil until the very end.

Well, they may still find a buyer for the IP, but they can't continue to make payroll for the studio. The longer it goes, more people from Vigil will have moved on (some did so before the bankruptcy apparently), making the IP less valuable.

Tensketch

I know they lacked options, but I'd take Darksiders-level PC ports of Platinum Games' titles. They ran well enough. Regardless, Vigil have PC experience, and Platinum were looking into self-publishing on Steam at one point. They wouldn't need the whole studio to do something like that, either.

I had DS1 and 2 on PC and although they lacked all the graphics options you'd come to expect, it ran pretty damn good. They know what theyre doing.

Also, the idea of playing Madworld in true HD on PC is amazing.

A pc port of vanquish and bayonetta..."pinches himself"

And I'm sure Sega would be open to it long as they didn't have to do the work as they are becoming increasingly pc centric. Vanquish especially on steam is easy money.

alstein

My name is Ben Cureton, and I was the Lead Combat Designer at Vigil Games. I'm sitting at my desk among... what appears to be a warzone. The walls look bare. It's quiet.

P.S. This is no place for a horse.

I remember you from the agsf2 days, sucks you had to lose your job today. Never really knew you were working in the industry. Hope you land on your feet fast.

Jintor

WAMqmkG.jpg

WHAT IS HAPPENING

Orayn

It appears that you found the speculation thread I posted on /v/, but missed the last page of this one where that image was originally posted. :p

Erethian

Platinum already has their internal engine running natively on PC. For development purposes, however.

ezekial45

Banned
You guys need to stop with all this wishing for PG to buy what's left of Vigil and their IPs, you're just hurting yourselves.

iavi

You guys need to stop with all this wishing for PG to buy what's left of Vigil and their IPs, you're just hurting yourselves.

Yeah. Ben and the rest of the combat team do have the talent Platinum could use, though, and I definitely can see a few of them being picked up, if that offer was serious. Barring DmC, DS2 has the best combat out of a western studio.

undecided

Their office was right up the street from mine..drive past it every day and see a lot of their employees at the areas' popular lunch spots.

Definitely sucks for all the guys that don't have jobs, hopefully there will be plenty of welcoming companies around.

Shinta

Banned
Yeah. Ben and the rest of the combat team do have the talent Platinum could use, though, and I definitely can see a few of them being picked up, if that offer was serious. Barring DmC, DS2 has the best combat out of a western studio.

Rocksteady has the best combat out of a western studio (and DmC's combat was mostly handled by Capcom Japan if I'm not mistaken). I've only played the first Darksiders, but it has okay combat. I'm sure they could fit in at Platinum. Pretty cool team up.

Polari

Platinum? I doubt it. I bet the likes of Retro and Junction Point are currently picking through the corpse as we speak though.

Darksiders 2 did poorly, but the first was a pretty big success. "Makes games that nobody wants to buy" is unfair.

If it was a successful franchise then someone would have bought it. No company saw any value in the Darksiders IP. None. that should be proof enough that nobody wants to buy darksiders games.

I am not saying that Platinum or Vigil make/made poor quality games, just that their games don't/didn't sell enough.

Corto

Guys, Platinum doesn't have the money to save a studio. They have the money to hire half a dozen people.

Well. If they had a publisher that financed the project it could happen. This publisher could want to publish the game without the financial onus of maintaining a whole studio afterwards. But then the question is how could that team keep going forward after that game?

Ahasverus

Platinum would become the bestest bestest thing ever if they save the IP.. even more staff from the studio. Gaming gods, let it happen. Please.
If it was a successful franchise then someone would have bought it. No company saw any value in the Darksiders IP. None. that should be proof enough that nobody wants to buy darksiders games.

I am not saying that Platinum or Vigil make/made poor quality games, just that their games don't/didn't sell enough.

The IP is great,and DS2 sold like 800k didn't it? THQ put so many stakes at it and rushed it to no end. That's why it "flopped"

Hell, if they started a Kickstarter for Darksiders 3 co-op PC exclusive with all the bells and whistles, I would pledge a hell of a lot of money.

Platinum would become the bestest bestest thing ever if they save the IP.. even more staff from the studio. Gaming gods, let it happen. Please.

The IP is great,and DS2 sold like 800k didn't it? THQ put so many stakes at it and rushed it to no end. That's why it "flopped"

800,000 sales for a big budget title simply isn't enough. Same with the Platinum games like Vanquish and Bayonetta. They underperform for the budgets they were given.

Ahasverus

Damn, now where will I get to play ideas taken from other games?
Wow I can think of certain medical rectal device that reflects what you sound like.

800,000 sales for a big budget title simply isn't enough. Same with the Platinum games like Vanquish and Bayonetta. They underperform for the budgets they were given.

Ehm nope. Platinum hsa an excellent budget management, that's why they are still a top tier developer after 4 "mediocre selling" games. They turn a profit, they are just fine .

ezekial45

Banned
Rocksteady has the best combat out of a western studio (and DmC's combat was mostly handled by Capcom Japan if I'm not mistaken). I've only played the first Darksiders, but it has okay combat. I'm sure they could fit in at Platinum. Pretty cool team up.

No, DmC's combat was handled by Ninja Thoery. Capcom JPN did supervision, but it was all NT's work.

Ehm nope. Platinum hsa an excellent budget management, that's why they are still a top tier developer after 4 "mediocre selling" games. They turn a profit, they are just fine .

You have access to their financials? Care to share?

I thought I heard them say they needed to sell 2 million to even break even.

Platinum doesn't seem to spend as much on their games, or take as long. But yeah, it's Sega, Konami and Nintendo that pick up the tab for them.

didn't Sega drop them after their initial deal was over, hence Nintendo picking up Bayonetta 2, and the Wonderful 101?

shaowebb

I firmly believe that Platinum Games buying up the talent from the now defunct Vigil is one of the best things that could happen. They seem to share a very similar style to their types of interests in action and I can easily see them fitting in well there. Best of luck to all those at Vigil who lost their jobs in this. I hope you all find a home soon at another studio...you all deserve it.

Cmagus

So much talent and no one picks them up what a shame. Hopefully someone can save them and hopefully they all find jobs soon they are a talented bunch.

didn't Sega drop them after their initial deal was over

Well, the initial deal was MadWorld, Infinite Space, Bayonetta and Vanquish. They then extended the deal to include Anarchy Reigns.

I think dropping Platinum had more to do with SEGA getting wobbly than anything to do with P*'s sales.

Riposte

I firmly believe that Platinum Games buying up the talent from the now defunct Vigil is one of the best things that could happen. They seem to share a very similar style to their types of interests in action and I can easily see them fitting in well there. Best of luck to all those at Vigil who lost their jobs in this. I hope you all find a home soon at another studio...you all deserve it.

Since when is PG in a position to buy a lot of talent, let alone foreign talent?

Top Bottom