• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

TyrantII

Not on Knack either.

VhX0fTZ.jpg

Adam Boyes said they're looking into it, and there's some inconsistencies on the use of these for launch titles (such as remote play missing)

TyrantII

Isn't "Online play (optional)" and "Offline play enabled" essentially the same thing?

Haha, weird that both exist.

Online Play (optional) seems like it be for vanilla SP/MP split games.

Offline Play Enabled sounds to me like Destiny/Dark Souls/Watchdogs games that seamlessly mix MP into SP but can be completely completed offline.

Either way one of those uses was used wrong there.

I'm surprised Sony hasn't jumped on yet another chance to make MS look worse. Somebody wake up Shu and have him write a tweet about how PS4 doesn't do this

PBY

Banned
I'm surprised Sony hasn't jumped on yet another chance to make MS look worse. Somebody wake up Shu and have him write a tweet about how PS4 doesn't do this

This is pointless. Not everything has to be filtered through the lens of the warz.

Steel

Banned

What's there to jump on? The issue is still unclear.

Edit: That and it would be highly unprofessional to poke at something like this.

Justin

I'm not making assumptions. This is already happening on the 360 and I'm not sure if Sony is doing it as well. You don't think it's wrong for a corporation to take away something you have paid for without taking you to court?

I agree. I was enjoying* MAG until Sony took it offline. It was terrible I could not longer play a game a paid money for.

*this is a lie. I never enjoyed MAG.

railGUN

Banned
Assuming this is just the pre-180 DRM patch still lingering... was this MS's idea of the future? Get banned from Live and loose access to single player games, and the settings on your console? Best case scenario still seems like shit.

I think it's odd how the same person a few hours ago was upset about the wording Sony changed in there new term policies about used games and ownership being taken out of context and generating unwanted attention to going full circle here.

If your going to be that guy who likes leaks and wants to stir up question periods then at least have the same attitude regardless of platform.
Question periods? Can you confirm that either English isn't your first language (which is totally okay and explains your idiosyncratic word choices) or you're Skynet and you're slowly learning English on GAF.

MaulerX

We already know that every XB1 shipped comes with the 24 hr DRM check in. To remove this, it needs the Day One Patch. By virtue of Target's fuck up, people got the system early, and consequently, Microsoft blocked those systems from logging into XBL. The guy confirmed that he could play SP offline (after Ban) just not MP (obviously).

Now 24 hrs later he can no longer play SP offline. Is it so hard to figure out? The update he got initially more than likely was not the Day One Patch. Maybe an update related to the beta testing.

CLEEK

Assuming this is just the pre-180 DRM patch still lingering... was this MS's idea of the future? Get banned from Live and loose access to single player games, and the settings on your console? Best case scenario still seems like shit.

Yeah. There was going to be no offline mode at all. Online always or GTFO. And a ban would have had this effect.

Yes, Microsoft's goal was to ban everybody from ever playing video games ever again. Damn, they were so close...lol. /s

hoos30

I don't think 'imagine' and 'looking into it' will clarify anything lol

Why is it taking Penello so long to say: 'You can play offline with no problem whatsoever, this is just an isolated case because he got his console early and it's an old firmware update.'?

He hasn't though ... Still waiting ...

Because it's the middle of the night....?

Steel

Banned
I've updated the OP. Is that all of the information?

Just missing Alberts actual post In response to killing joke:
The fact that Albert and Major are "looking into it" just confirms to me DRM is alive and well (depending on pubs). Or XBL bans block offline and online play. Either way thats fucking horrible.

It's neither. I just want to confirm before I post anything, it's that simple.

keuja

Looking forward to the first 48 hours after the launch. With the patch downloads, all the offline tests and the hockey moms returning the consoles because “it doesn’t work”, it will be one hell of a ride.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why aren't people raising more of a shit over the fact that Microsoft remotely bricked this guy's console until they feel he should be allowed to use it? Did he acquire the product illegally? Sure, it's before street date, but he still paid for the damn thing, didn't he? Whose to say Microsoft won't use this new power of theirs in other scenarios where they find people doing things they don't approve of?

vdo

I didn't expect that they would keep a DRM option at the game level.

But if this is true, then it makes some earlier suspicions I had more likely to me. Microsoft had decided to remove the DRM months ago and could have already had the DRM patch included in the initial firmware placed on the consoles way back then since there was so much time to go (this decision was before the upclocks, so the consoles were definitely still in the early stages and able to still have a later version of initial firmware installed). Sony also has a day one patch but doesn't require it before the console can be used offline and MS could have done the same thing.

I think that Microsoft wants every console to have to sign in at least once. What their reasons would be, I don't know - they could be completely innocent intentions. But they don't need to hide this want to have every console have an initial connection behind excuses that they could not get this DRM removal and ability to be offline onto the consoles with all the months they had to do it. I guess this would only apply to the initial batch of consoles, unless in the future they do something where every new console has to initially connect just once in the beginning in order to "activate" it. Probably that won't happen, but I still think they like this patch excuse to at least get the initial batch of consoles connecting, maybe so they can get a picture of how many customers are connecting, what connection speeds they have, where they are located geographically, etc.

Do not link me a broad policy.

What is your issue with the policy that you linked? How does it pertain to the discussion at hand.

His issue is that if your console gets banned you cannot go back and download games that you paid for because the ban prevents it. Had you bought a physical copy you could still play your game that you paid for. If you had it loaded on your system you could play it. But all the games you don't have on the hard drive are gone forever. The products you spent money on are taken away from you.

I think this is his point. Along with the fact that they can just lock you out of your own system. As said before what console banning would have been like without the 180 would have been awful. It'd brick your console. You wouldn't have access to any games or features whatsoever

PBY

Banned
Why aren't people raising more of a shit over the fact that Microsoft remotely bricked this guy's console until they feel he should be allowed to use it? Did he acquire the product illegally? Sure, it's before street date, but he still paid for the damn thing, didn't he?

We've been over this. Yes, but they hooked the dude up, he's cool w/ it, etc, etc. They explained what they did and why.

This dude's story has evolved, which leads us to where we're at.

Why aren't people raising more of a shit over the fact that Microsoft remotely bricked this guy's console until they feel he should be allowed to use it? Did he acquire the product illegally? Sure, it's before street date, but he still paid for the damn thing, didn't he?

Yup. Not his fault at all. Target just shipped it to him early. I would've plugged it in too.

Maybe they knew there was still some fucked up stuff going on with the system so they just decided to brick his. I dunno.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
We've been over this. Yes, but they hooked the dude up, he's cool w/ it, etc, etc. They explained what they did and why.

This dude's story has evolved, which leads us to where we're at.

Oh, so he got it from Microsoft, and didn't spend his own money? Did he break some kind of agreement with them or something? Why would they have to ban a console that they gave to him?

Either way, the fact that they have this power and have already shown that they're willing to use it is not comforting.

Top Bottom