• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN PUBG Early Access review-in-progress PC = 9.0, Xbox = 5.0

Agree entirely. The game is borderline unplayable. It really takes a patient person to deal with the constant lag, low FPS, and guns that don't actually kill when your sights are clearly right on the person you're shooting.

Agree entirely. The game is borderline unplayable. It really takes a patient person to deal with the constant lag, low FPS, and guns that don't actually kill when your sights are clearly right on the person you're shooting.

The console version is gonna be in for a long haul. I think it will be relatively optimized one day but it’s gonna take awhile.

This game can chug with halfway decent GPUs and i7 processors on PC

petrus91

Scores seems right for XB1 version, it needs some HUGE work technically. Really enjoying the core experience, the controls feels always more and more natural as you play. Really having fun.
For such and early and rushed build, well, I can live with that but on the promise of a complete technical overhaul in the next weeks/months. :)

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The console version is gonna be in for a long haul. I think it will be relatively optimized one day but it’s gonna take awhile.

This game can chug with halfway decent GPUs and i7 processors on PC

This might also contribute to there not being a PS4 version for a very long time or maybe never.

I wonder if the work Microsoft does for the xbox version of PUBG will be carried over to a PS4 version, because the optimization for the jaguars and AMD GPU in Xbox could also help the PS4 version. However I dont imagine Microsoft being to happy about that.

Kimawolf

Yeah the xbox percormance is pathetic. They need to worry less about people stealing their idea and more about how it performs.

autoduelist

This might also contribute to there not being a PS4 version for a very long time or maybe never.

I wonder if the work Microsoft does for the xbox version of PUBG will be carried over to a PS4 version, because the optimization for the jaguars and AMD GPU in Xbox could also help the PS4 version. However I dont imagine Microsoft being to happy about that.

They wouldn't really care if some of the optimizations carry over. That's just how it goes. Late ports often benefit from patches, included dlc, etc. It's part of doing business, not something the involved parties would be happy/unhappy about.

Sosokrates

Are they selling a beta for money?

Technically no, there selling a preview build(or beta or whatever else you call a not finished game) with the full version being included with it.
So you can buy it and now and play now but its not like people are unaware that its not a fully complete game.

They wouldn't really care if some of the optimizations carry over. That's just how it goes. Late ports often benefit from patches, included dlc, etc. It's part of doing business, not something the involved parties would be happy/unhappy about.

IT would be smart for sony/ms to not let devs use there optimizations for competing platforms. In this case if MS do help get PUBG to a stable 30fps and bluehole use the same optimizations for the PS4 version, sony are benifiting from MS money and work.
But now thinking about it bluehole probably have it in contract that any work ms does on PUBG does not entitle MS to anything and bluehole own it.

Sosokrates

Sorry but that's just spin. This is literally the very definition of what a beta is.

Its not a spin,

Game betas dont include the full game in its final incarnation.

My point is IGN are reviewing a preview version, I think it would be better doing an "impressions from game preview" and not a full review yet.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Technically no, there selling a preview build(or beta or whatever else you call a not finished game) with the full version being included with it.
So you can buy it and now and play now but its not like people are unaware that its not a fully complete game.

IT would be smart for sony/ms to not let devs use there optimizations for competing platforms. In this case if MS do help get PUBG to a stable 30fps and bluehole use the same optimizations for the PS4 version, sony are benifiting from MS money and work.
But now thinking about it bluehole probably have it in contract that any work ms does on PUBG does not entitle MS to anything and bluehole own it.

You should exit your bubble, Sony and MS work together just fine. And PUBG runs on Azure, so they don't care anyway.

Sosokrates

You should exit your bubble, Sony and MS work together just fine. And PUBG runs on Azure, so they don't care anyway.

Read the last part of my post.
And what bubble are you talking about. I dont know what you mean with talk like that.

JaxBriggs

Its not a spin,

It is spin. This is a beta, which is being sold at retail.

Beta
Game Preview
Early Access

All the same thing.

Also IGN have posted this as an Early Access Review and I have no problem with that because that's what it is. Steam has been doing this since Early Access began and I have no issue with that either.

Sosokrates

It is spin. This is a beta, which is being sold at retail.

Beta
Game Preview
Early Access

All the same thing.

Yes this PUBG game preview which also includes the full release(I think), should not be treated and reviewed as a fully complete game.

-------
Edit ok I made mistake l, I didnt realize its an in progress early access review. This I think is fine.

J-Rzez

Good on them for doing this. If a dev wants to sell this now to people, you review what you're getting at that time. And i have little faith in this dev to optimize. You had to brute force the PC version for so long, then you had catastrophic lag which impacted hit detection tremendously.

meirl

Banned
Since when are the review score in the title? Or is it because it’s an Xbox console exclusive and the score is not so good? Typical...

Its not a spin,

Game betas dont include the full game in its final incarnation.

My point is IGN are reviewing a preview version, I think it would be better doing an "impressions from game preview" and not a full review yet.
Dude. This game is going to be a "preview build" for years. This is how the game has been since release on PC. This is not like review of a CoD or Battlefield beta.

This is a game they are selling while actively developing with no indication that a "final" build is coming anytime soon.

That is like saying you cant review LoL or Dota 2. These types of games will never have a final build until development ceases and support stops.

Since when are the review score in the title? Or is it because it’s an Xbox console exclusive and the score is not so good? Typical...

Literally every post you've made on NeoGAF is this MS fanbabby bullshit or some anti-Sony jargen. Stop crying over a review score you little manchild.

Sosokrates

Dude. This game is going to be a "preview build" for years. This is how the game has been since release on PC. This is not like review of a CoD or Battlefield beta.

This is a game they are selling while actively developing with no indication that a "final" build is coming anytime soon.

That is like saying you cant review LoL or Dota 2. These types of games will never have a final build until development ceases and support stops.

I commeted later in the thread that what I said was a mistake.

The review seems fair. Hopefully reviews like this light a fire under the ass of the devs and MS to get it polished to a level that is expected for a console release.

I enjoyed watching some streams of it on Mixer the other night but it's clear that it still needs a lot of work.

I commeted later in the thread that what I said was a mistake.
Quoted you but it's mainly just to clear up that the reviews aren't some sort of fanboy shot at the Xbox One. It's just the way it is with the growing number of early access software. Even seeing this on Mobile now with an early access category on the Play Store. I personally don't support it.

Sosokrates

Quoted you but it's mainly just to clear up that the reviews aren't some sort of fanboy shot at the Xbox One. It's just the way it is with the growing number of early access software. Even seeing this on Mobile now with an early access category on the Play Store. I personally don't support it.

Oh right.

Yeah, I dont think these battle royale games are for me, ive played some fortnite battle royale and I can see why people love it. I dont want to invest the time in it plus its seems a very intence game which aint really for me, maybe I return to it with a team or somthing.

I also agree with you that the reviews are not some sort of propaganda against xbox lol.
From watching digital Foundry vids the game is borderline unplayable with the framerate.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some

Considering it’ll be on version 1.0 within a few days on PC, this should be out of preview in 2018 although it will still be getting content updates for years to come.

th4tguy

Why is it so bad on console, isn't UE4 very scalable?

They worked very closely with Epic to help add the necessary features to the engine to allow for a game like this. It's one of the reasons They claim Epic "stole" the work they helped with to make fortnite battle royal mode.
The engine is very scalable but its not perfect. The dev has released a very heavily optimized version of the game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I'm happy with the state of the version running in the xb1x being a rushed port in only a few months and being early access.

I truly believe that the X, and probably even the Pro, should be able to run this at a locked 30 FPS. Might have to come at the cost of some LOD performance or texture streaming.

Base consoles are gonna be hurting though. It takes a pretty beast PC to get this game running super smooth and not look like a butt while doing so

Senua

I truly believe that the X, and probably even the Pro, should be able to run this at a locked 30 FPS. Might have to come at the cost of some LOD performance or texture streaming.

Base consoles are gonna be hurting though. It takes a pretty beast PC to get this game running super smooth and not look like a butt while doing so

I've managed to keep it above 60 at all times on my 3570k, not counting the pre parachute stuff. I can't imagine how shite this must feel at sub 30.

Sosokrates

Huge map with 100 players, it's definitely a CPU heavy game, and the jaguar CPU is rather weak, even by 2012 standards.

fornite battle royale plays quite well, and uses UE4, so it must down to the dev.

Plo

Neo Member
The hell is wrong with people.. Aren't they selling the game? That behaviour is why big publishers take our money for granted

What doest it meter if it says beta on the box, there is no reason not to judge the quality of something you are paying for. How about we apply the logic to some other industry. How about cars....? Oh sorry the autopilot is in beta, you are not supposed to use it this way and get yourself killed, but you are free to test it and tell us what you think!

Damn.

neurophd

Fortnite has a much smaller map and has much less physics calculation going on.
Just tried few rounds of Fortnite and, damn, it runs nicely...but zero soul. If they can get PUBG working that well, it is no contest which is the better game. Since this game is not cross platform it seems like they should have eased up to the full PC experience with a light version with less physics, players, map size.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Just tried few rounds of Fortnite and, damn, it runs nicely...but zero soul. If they can get PUBG working that well, it is no contest which is the better game. Since this game is not cross platform it seems like they should have eased up to the full PC experience with a light version with less physics, players, map size.

See I feel the exact opposite I just cant get going on PUBG but love Fortnite.

Both are very good games and if they ever could get PUBG running as nicely as Fortnite it might be different for me.

neurophd

See I feel the exact opposite I just cant get going on PUBG but love Fortnite.

Both are very good games and if they ever could get PUBG running as nicely as Fortnite it might be different for me.
From my limited exposure to both games, PUBG is more immersive largely due to realistic setting and sound. Traversing the landscape is a joy. I like the execution of Fortnite’s art style, just a little to fantastical for this style game. Also the atmosphere and tension generated by PUBG is amazing. However, Fortnite mechanics are well executed.

DJwest

I'm sure they'll optimise the game and make it run better. Hope they find a way around the CPU restriction,MS is being then after all.

Lol cry more.

entremet

Hyperbole. While very early, the game is fine and I"m playing on an S, not X.

Those parachutes jumps are sure something tho lol.

Well, Microsoft cannot really have their cake and eat it too. If the rumors are correct, and they tried to unsuccessfully buy out the devs completely, and the game isn't a lifetime Xbox Exclusive, the cannot really use their help with the game to say "Well, you cannot sell this on another system unless you start over and remove everything we helped you with or simply not sell it on other consoles at all!"

Microsoft had to know this was coming out on other systems at some point, it was obvious when they couldn't get full console exclusivity. I dont think they are going to be able to use their development help to back door console exclusivity when Bluepoint was pretty clear they didn't want full Xbox exclusivity, or it would be a full Xbox Exclusive.

Top Bottom