• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS America confirms Hotaru no Nikki (htoL#NiQ) this fall, digital only

Toad.T

Banned
Criminal girls gets almost 5 pages. This game is starting on it's way to get 1 full one. They were both announced the same day.

Folks wonder why Japanese devs rarely go out of their comfort zones these days? This is why.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Didn't the Japanese "physical" LE only have a code with it?
From what I'm seeing/hearing, the LE was the only way to get the physical copy, as it was only available on PSN in Japan otherwise. Maybe NIS will have a LE similar on their online store.

Criminal girls gets almost 5 pages. This game is starting on it's way to get 1 full one. They were both announced the same day.

Folks wonder why Japanese devs rarely go out of their comfort zones these days? This is why.
It has more pages because the game's announcement has stirred controversy with members.

& just learned this game got a D rating in Japan (17+). Wonder if the death scenes (which is why the game got that rating) will cause this to be rated M in the US.

kiriin

It had a higher CERO rating due to the depiction of death. Also the overall atmosphere is a lot "darker" despite how adorable Mion might be :p. Glad it getting localized!

Refna

Firefly's diary, I think.

Edit: Beaten by a minute.

Anyway, the game itself looks pretty great. I'm guessing it won't be too big in file size, so maybe I'll download it on my Vita after all.

I forget the exact number but it is around 550Mb.

Takao

Banned
don't worry, i'll get attention by making a thread called " Trailer for the DISGUSTING and VILE htoL#NiQ Vita game" with images of Mion dying.

ss-hikaru

Yaaay! This game looks adorable. And right now, I'm really really glad I made the choice to go full digital with vita >.< Although the Japanese LE looked amazing!

I wonder if it'll be kinda ghost trick-ish? Not really sure what kind of game to compare this to.

Maedhros

Yaaay! This game looks adorable. And right now, I'm really really glad I made the choice to go full digital with vita >.< Although the Japanese LE looked amazing!

I wonder if it'll be kinda ghost trick-ish? Not really sure what kind of game to compare this to.

Ghost Trick and Escape Plan. Something like that.

Yasumi

Banned
don't worry, i'll get attention by making a thread called " Trailer for the DISGUSTING and VILE htoL#NiQ Vita game" with images of Mion dying.

"Video: Horny Loli Gets Crushed By a Giant Piston"
We need all of the controversies. >:D

Shizuka

So no LE period, then? I can't think of a game that was digital only by NIS that got a special LE, even if it was just a code included instead of a physical version.

Exactly, no LE. It'll be like Legasista and Battle Princess of Arcadias.

It had a higher CERO rating due to the depiction of death. Also the overall atmosphere is a lot "darker" despite how adorable Mion might be :p. Glad it getting localized!

Does that mean she get's "Limboed"? The deaths in that game were too gruesome to happen to a kid for me.

kiriin

Does that mean she get's "Limboed"? The deaths in that game were too gruesome to happen to a kid for me.

No.
Not to the extend in the way that Limbo did it. Haven't finish the game but most death scenes aren't graphic in term of violence and gore -mostly end with blood splash screen with Mion fainting. Honestly anything more like Limbo would be way too fucking much.

This is the NISA announcement I'm interested in, but I must admit I don't really know how this game plays, or if Ryouga talking about how it'll punch you in the balls is to indicate extreme difficulty, frustration, or something story-related. I guess I'll keep an eye out!

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Please make a limited edition, I will throw money at it. I don't really want to support sony's memory card scam.

Usobuko

Banned

I don't know, this seems to have better reception.

If the pricing was right and I'm have ample of free time, I might get this.

Tapejara

Shame it's digital only. Still, really glad it's coming. I thought the title translated to Firefly's Diary though? Or am I thinking of something else?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
This is a PSN game by all standards - pricing, length, content.

It's no different than Guacamelee, Dokuro, or anything else you can only get digitally on PSN for the Vita. It just happened that there was an extremely limited physical print in Japan, which sold out so fast that it was essentially unavailable to anyone who didn't preorder. Now it's just a regular PSN game in Japan too.

There should be nothing to get sad about regarding it being digital.

JoeFenix

_500____college-hotelp1diapo1_718.jpg

#

nyquil1.jpg

NIS just tweeted that they'll be releasing a patch for the game that adds analog controls (game was originally touch only). Pretty sure it'll be added for the western release.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Oh it was touch only? Kinda glad I missed the pre-order window before then since I wouldn't have played it at all in that state.

Looks like I gotta buy a bigger memory card.

I've been interested in this game since the first trailer came out. Will buy.

Great news. It's a shame it's digital-only, but beggars can't be choosers and I'm just grateful it's making its way to the West. Hopefully an EU announcement isn't far behind, since the region-free coding of the Vita doesn't help much when it comes to digital releases.

Also, for someone who has played the game, is the soundtrack as amazing as this trailer would suggest?

Tizoc

IIRC the Japanese Version was sold for 3000 Yen on PSN (~30$/~21,50€) so it shouldn' be a full price title.

I guess Diary of the Fireflies

Thanks I forgot what the japanese word for diary is. Hotaru meaning fairy is intersting, thanks for clearing it up!

In the press release of Bandai Namco Italy are mentioned 2 new games, The Awakened Fate Ultimatum and Criminal Girls Invite Only, but there's no mention of Hotaru No Nikki, isn't it coming to Europe? :(
I'm guessing Bamco's involvement is retail distribution? Since Hotaru is download only, they would have nothing to do with it.

Awww yeah, my Japanese copy arrived this arvo.

o8Ul2Sh.jpg

NISA, get on this limited edition physical goodness. The art book is fucking beautiful.

In the press release of Bandai Namco Italy are mentioned 2 new games, The Awakened Fate Ultimatum and Criminal Girls Invite Only, but there's no mention of Hotaru No Nikki, isn't it coming to Europe? :(

http://www.everyeye.it/multi/notizia/bandai-namco-annuncia-due-nuovi-titoli_196853

Wait, Criminal Girls is actually getting a retail release? Awesome news.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm guessing Bamco's involvement is retail distribution? Since Hotaru is download only, they would have nothing to do with it.

Wait, Criminal Girls is actually getting a retail release? Awesome news.

There's no mention at all for the distribution(dd or retail) for both games, it just makes a little summary of the games.

EDIT:
google translated source
https://translate.google.it/transla...ia-due-nuovi-titoli_196853&edit-text=&act=url

Varth

PR confirms predictable "alterations to suit the game for the broader audience" for Criminal Girls. Both in US and EU.

Top Bottom