• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FEBRUARY 2012 Pick-Up Post!! Show Us Your Gaming Goods (Real pics or BAN!)!

Zero148

My first post in a pick-up thread. After the last final for over a month I picked up some entertainment :)

i54yil.jpg

The movies are from amazon.de, RDR a used copy from Gamestop.

FoxSpirit

This time, a more major pickup:

Nubert NuVero 4 High-End Monitors

Top and back-views:

Well, they are rather large for compacts, as full-range 2-way speakers go:

So, how do they sound?? As good as €1100 for a pair can get. Actually, about as good as a passive compact can get. I mean it, this is current end of the line performance for any price.

Top end is about as resolved as a ribbon without any of the ribbon sound, and the radiation characteristic is top notch when you compare horns and ribbons. I still slap my face when Dynaudio dealers insinuated that an Esotar-2 tweeter is just not feasable in a €2500 compact pair. Fuck you, this box has a better silk dome and costs less than half.
Mids are crisp and clean, if not partucularly lush, liquid or transparent but as good as 2-way can get. And that's still veeeery good.
Bass is pretty good from the get go and in a small to medium rooms, if the recording has the right kind of bass, the room will shake. It's no hindrance that Nubert also offers this little Gizmo:

The ATM (Active Tuning Module) extends and linearises the bass response of the chassis down to 40Hz (-3dB). While that's not subwoofer levels, any music besides "I love my subwoofer" tracks will sound deep and tout. Also features two knobs for bass/mid-high manipulation but instead of the normal plateau characteristic you have slopes which means the tonal characteristic of the music does not change when used. Rather, it simply makes highs more brilliant or gentle and makes the bass stronger or weaker. Great for tuning it to your room so small rooms don't get overwhelmed or large rooms don't feel starved. If I want a recording to actually sound darker, well, the Marantz amp still has the classic tone controls to add to this.
Oh yeah, and contrary to the usual mediocre tech used in tone-controls, this one doesn't influence spatial resolution one bit. Thanks for taking this serious, Mister Nubert.

All in all, if you are in the market for high-class compact speakers and don't want or can't place a sub, this is the top candidate. No questions, no contest. Also comes with a hassle-free 4-week return policy. Jaja, die Schwaben :p

Finally, the end of my quest for an actually awesome sounding compact 2-way. *sigh of relieve* :)

JackEtc

Got my Beardo hat in the mail.

0IfyB.jpg

A-fucking-mazing.

I was sweating just from putting it on to take that pic, even though I just came back from getting a hair cut where I have much less hair than I'm used to having in the winter. It is a SUPER warm hat. Can't wait to use it when snowboarding.

John Blade

Got my Club Nintendo 3DS Case in the mail.

DSCN9782.jpg

DSCN9789.jpg

DSCN9790.jpg

Liking the case quite a lot. Will wait till I have enough coins to get another two more case (I need a total of 10 game case to fill up my ds collection).

Also, got myself FLCL DVD (not the recent release)
DSCN9796.jpg

pax217

...Nubert NuVero 4 High-End Monitors...

I will start by admitting my jealousy.

I will continue into the depth of my post by expressing my admiration and appreciation for someone who can bypass the 5.1, 7.1, and "Bose Ultrasound Bar 5000" (or whatever the flavor of the month is) to have nothing more than a pair of accurate monitors.

I will conclude this post by wishing you a long speaker life of happy listening, and hope that whatever amplifier you've got going with them is sufficient.

PS. For God's sake, get yourself some better speaker stands :)

Rich!

Almost brought an AGS-101 (backlit GBA SP) today, then realised the screen had fuckloads of dead pixels. :(

Goddamnit. They're impossible to find here in the UK, and go for silly prices on ebay. sigh

FoxSpirit

I will start by admitting my jealousy.

I will continue into the depth of my post by expressing my admiration and appreciation for someone who can bypass the 5.1, 7.1, and "Bose Ultrasound Bar 5000" (or whatever the flavor of the month is) to have nothing more than a pair of accurate monitors.

I will conclude this post by wishing you a long speaker life of happy listening, and hope that whatever amplifier you've got going with them is sufficient.

PS. For God's sake, get yourself some better speaker stands :)
Haha, yeah, I know, I will have to custom make some, since they need a height way below of what's sold.

Also, stands are completely overpriced and only matter at levels far above what my room can take. Actually, the setup I have now is floaty decoupling and the books provide excellent damping. Only the "Monsters Menace America" game box has to go once I find enough books in my library to rotate out :p

Hellish

Razer mouse bungee that didnt fit my g700 wire so now I am using electrical tape on it as I had to crack it but it works now

6872517397_b5f0f0b399_z.jpg

pax217

Haha, yeah, I know, I will have to custom make some, since they need a height way below of what's sold.

Also, stands are completely overpriced and only matter at levels far above what my room can take. Actually, the setup I have now is floaty decoupling and the books provide excellent damping. Only the "Monsters Menace America" game box has to go once I find enough books in my library to rotate out :p

I actually assumed you did that for the damping purpose, but I can see things are a bit cramped in there. What model BRAVIA is that?

DArw8.jpg

Went downtown to Kinokuniya to pick up the last Tokyo Jihen release ("color bars") and came home to have Uncharted: Golden Abyss and a memory card waiting for me. Now to wait a week for the system :|

Radec

most of my recent pick ups have been for our wedding later this year...photographer, dj, catering ect ect. a lot of money with no physical goods to post pics of. So i'm going to post a pic of my most expensive of the bunch and they are "stock" images but its all of I have damnit lol.

Chapel
2592081001_3008046001_1000_0001.sized.jpg

RavenMathis-3780.jpg

Reception Hall
21_1_picture_271_333333333333.jpg

IMG_2364up.jpg

Best pick-up this month.

Congrats man.

dreamfall

Congrats GodfatherX! That looks so beautiful!!! Big pickup tonight- Jaffe, heart that reversible cover! Getting ready to throwdown in PRIDE!

gzv5f.jpg

Loxley

most of my recent pick ups have been for our wedding later this year...photographer, dj, catering ect ect. a lot of money with no physical goods to post pics of. So i'm going to post a pic of my most expensive of the bunch and they are "stock" images but its all of I have damnit lol.

Chapel
RavenMathis-3780.jpg

Wow, that's a beautiful place to get married. Congratulations!

Sylver

Banned
Finally arrived my Append Nendoroid, it's my second Nendo after Kokonoe Rin, now I have this Append collection:
WvogF.jpg

TommyT

I basically just wanted to have a walkthrough for every (real) Zelda game.

Example: The first two games are included in the Collector's Edition one, so I didn't feel the compulsion to get an individual (and most likely pricey) guide for each one.

My most prized one is the Link's Awakening one, awesome artwork all throughout.

Fair enough. If you ever start getting into ALL guides have fun! You can find some that have retailer specific stuff just like the games.

SCV_signed.jpg

This was sent over to me by my buddy Katsuhiro Harada along with another unsigned PS3 copy & 2 Xbox360 copies. All of the copies switch to English automatically & the 360 ones are region free, score!

Will post more pics later of my other pickups.

Top Bottom