• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2010)

yonder

scottpilgrim1.jpg

Finally gave this a chance after having heard so much good stuff and I'm glad I did. I raced through it in under an hour and immediately ordered all of the other volumes.

While I'm waiting for those to arrive, I'm gonna start with this one which seems very promising:

51JlMPHmneL.jpg

It's basically a collection of essays on modern science. After looking through the contents (http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/uk-books/images/Contents.pdf) I couldn't resist it.

Sanskrit

afternoon delight said:
6a00c2251eaab08e1d00c2251f696b8e1d-500pi

Dante's Divine Comedy: The Inferno - All the video game talk got me to read it again since it had been a few years. As usual, I was entranced by the narrative and the scenes he describes - unique if anything at all. I don't think it's nearly as dense as others, but I also skip most of the structural/technical aspects of the poetry and focus on the themes/metaphors/etc.

Dude. Where can I buy this? Would be awesome with illustrations :lol

afternoon delight said:
Dante's Divine Comedy: The Inferno - All the video game talk got me to read it again since it had been a few years. As usual, I was entranced by the narrative and the scenes he describes - unique if anything at all. I don't think it's nearly as dense as others, but I also skip most of the structural/technical aspects of the poetry and focus on the themes/metaphors/etc.

Great book, and the game looks like it will at least be a fun God of War knockoff, but the cover of the new edition of the book makes me sad.
DantesInfernoNewCover.jpg

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I recently discovered that Borders has quite a nice selection of hardcover books in their bargain bin that I've been buying with the 33% off coupons.

Finished earlier in the year:
-The Greatest Show on Earth - The Evidence for Evolution by Richard Dawkins
-The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Currently reading:
-Duma Key by Stephen King. (hardcover for $4 at Borders)

Queued:
-The Illustrated Brief History of Time and The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking (hardcover for $10 at Borders :D)
-The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics

eznark

Banned
Just got my nook this week (fucking amazing) and am about a third of the way through Daemon by Daniel Suarez.

It's a goofy plot with goofy gaming ties but it's ok. Nothing great, but I guess I will finish it, kind of interested in seeing how the Daemon tries to take over the world.

Looking for a hard sci-fi book written in the last couple years. Any recommendations?

noah111

Still Alive
I'm actually reading an old book, the 1968 "Chariots of the Gods?";

chariots_of_the_gods.jpg

About half way through, so far it's quite an interesting read imo, sounds like a crazy concept but i'm definitely open to the possibility tbh..

Also just finished reason "Good Guy" by Dean Koontz.. it was pretty good, my sis reads his books and has a ton so I decided to grab one as a time waster.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm incredibly busy with work, but I'm trying to get into this.

oswspt.jpg

Not sure I like the writing style, though I'm not very far.

Alucard said:
What is the premise of these books? Is it essentially about colonization and the challenges associated with settling on a new and uninhabited world?
More or less, yes, but it heavily features the political/sociological aspects related to humanity expanding to another planet. All the different political/environmental agendas that accompany such grand possibilities coinciding with massive problems on Earth, etc. The trilogy spans some two hundred years or so.

I haven't yet read Blue Mars, but the first two are awesome.

SUPPPOSED to be reading
MentalCover-new.jpg

but I didn't pick it up in time at the library so it went to the next person on hold :( (I very very rarely buy books since I usually only read them once and I have a fantastic public library.)

Oh well, should be reading this anyways... (especially considering it cost more than my DSi, sigh)
martini%20book.jpg

Salazar

DJ Enright's An Academic Year, a stylish farce (Greene, Amis) set in Alexandria. Very good. I know Enright as a very fine critic and poet, but this is the first novel of his I've been able to find.

Socreges

Banned
oryxcrake.jpg

Very good. About 1/3 through. Hopefully she starts answering some of my questions soon. It's been one excellent tease so far.

peakish

Managed to finish Dune before February :D Really liked it up until the ending, which wasn't at all bad, just not conclusive enough for my tastes. I guess it's setting itself up for the rest of the trilogy though so nothing wrong with that.

Perhaps it was a bit easy in the way everything always worked out for the main characters, that's probably my mayor complaint about it, I thought the first Foundation parts had better explanations for those things. Still, will pick up the last parts later this spring.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Fiction: Winter in Madrid by C.J. Sansom

Non-fiction: The New Concise History of the Crusades by Thomas F. Madden

FnordChan said:
under_the_dome.jpg

I'm about halfway through Stephen King's Under The Dome and thoroughly enjoying it. Okay, so the main bad guy is pretty over the top, but I'm happy to roll with that. If nothing else, my belief that I should never live in a small town in Maine has been nicely reinforced so far.

FnordChan

Same, not quite half way though.

FiRez

Just finished "The Fountainhead": excellent novel, is probably the 1st time I'm thinking about reading a book more than once.

but for now I just started this one:

3-2.jpg

Chorazin

Just finished reading Tokyo Vice last night, and man was that an awesome book.

Thanks to everyone that recommended it!

bengraven

I went from loving this thread to despising it. Because now my Kindle is loaded up with samples of most of these books. :lol

Current reading:

0575079754.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Top Bottom