• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2010)

I just finished this:

41DKbqY1yVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Great book. I knew by the time I read the first few pages of the preface that I would like this book. You can tell the writer is kind of a jerk and not necessarily someone you would like in real life, but somehow his asshole attitude throughout gets his point across. Sort of confirmed how I have felt about most business people. Highly recommended.

Just finished Mistborn a few minutes ago. WOW. I'm not usually into crazy magic-using type fantasy and prefer the more realist stuff, but the magic system in here blew me away. I think it helps that it has a sort of logical explanation that has some 'science' basis in that world. The action sequences were phenomenal. After reading some of them, I felt like I just beat a hard boss in a video game.

The writing is really solid and the two main characters, Vin and Kelsier, while both flawed, were very believable and likable. I wish the supporting characters were as fleshed out, but maybe it's good they weren't because the book's already a hefty tome.

The actual plot device was a little overdone (repressed/slaves trying to overthrow repressor), but I was so caught up in the characters and the action, I barely gave it a thought. What I did find odd about this book is that mentally, I think it should be an EPIC book, but everything happens on such a local level (within the crew) that it really isn't one of those spanning-for-years epic books.

Thanks GAF for recommending this to me!

Also, I loved the first cover when I first saw it, but after reading the entire book, I think the second cover is a much better representation without being all "OMG FANTASY BOOK".
vs

Salazar

nakedsushi said:
Also, I loved the first cover when I first saw it, but after reading the entire book, I think the second cover is a much better representation without being all "OMG FANTASY BOOK".

It might better represent the book, but Jon Foster is godlike.

suzu

lastargumentofkings2.jpg

Last Argument Of Kings by Joe Abercrombie (The First Law trilogy)

Liked the first 2 books, hope this one will be good too.

I'm reading this:

guild-wars-ghosts-of-ascalon.jpg

It's surprisingly good. I read about 250 pages in a couple days. Too much that now I have to take a bit of a break. Characters are good and it give you a ton of lore. If you're interested in the game, I would recommend reading the book.

Jarlaxle

nakedsushi said:
But that's the thing. It didn't seem like they became better people at all. Darcy still had his pride, and in the end, Lizzie seemed the same, other than feeling guilty about what she owed Darcy and deciding that he wasn't so bad after all. I didn't feel like any of the characters had any internal growth.

It's been awhile but from what I remember,
doesn't Darcy help Lizzie's sister from the situation with Whickam (I think that was his name) with zero regard or want of thanks when he detests Whickam for what he did to his family and his sister. Doesn't he then go to his friend and tell him to marry Lizzie's other sister because she is what would make him happy and that he shouldn't listen to anyone else and then ultimately, doesn't he marry Lizzie even though her station is way below his and his aunt is appalled by the notion? In the beginning of the novel he is a rich, stuck up, aristocrat who is very attracted to a pretty girl who comes from an awful family which is also not well off. In the end of the novel he is still rich, but he is understanding of others and more tolerant. He embraces that which before he thought detestable and learns a large measure of humility.

I can understand not liking the characters or the book but I'm not sure I can't see how someone can't see the growth in character. To each their own I guess.

X-Frame

Adam Blade said:
Just finished ...

n336195.jpg

What did you think of this? It got great reviews on Amazon and I already have it queued up on my books-to-read list but just wondering if I should bump it up to my next one.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Just Finished:

mockingjay.jpg

What a absolutely terrible way to end this series. The other 2 books were some entertaining fluff but this was just horrendous writing.

I agree. I loved the first 2 books and all the characters A LOT but Mockingjay was definitely not the way I would've liked to see the series end. I almost wish I never read it ..

hamchan

With the arrival of my Kindle I finished up the Dark Tower part 3: The Wastelands.

I'm now 10% into the Girl With the Dragon Tatoo.

FnordChan

catfish said:
not so much on the vampire side though. It can't be shit like twilight though!

I've pimped this before and I'm going to pimp it again: Anno Dracula by Kim Newman. It's about a world where Van Helsing's team failed to kill Dracula, who went on to become Victoria's consort and popularize vampirism in England. Three years later, someone in Whitechapel is killing vampire prostitutes and that's where we step in. It's a fascinating alternate history with a grim horror angle and it's absolutely top notch. A reprint is due out next year, but in the meantime you can score used copies off Amazon for about nine bucks shipped.

FnordChan

It's disappointing Mockingjay supposedly doesn't end well. I just read the other two over the weekend and have Mockingjay arriving tomorrow from Amazon. Guess I'll know for myself how it ends tomorrow.

Jerk

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Just finished Mistborn a few minutes ago. WOW. I'm not usually into crazy magic-using type fantasy and prefer the more realist stuff, but the magic system in here blew me away. I think it helps that it has a sort of logical explanation that has some 'science' basis in that world. The action sequences were phenomenal. After reading some of them, I felt like I just beat a hard boss in a video game.

The writing is really solid and the two main characters, Vin and Kelsier, while both flawed, were very believable and likable. I wish the supporting characters were as fleshed out, but maybe it's good they weren't because the book's already a hefty tome.

The actual plot device was a little overdone (repressed/slaves trying to overthrow repressor), but I was so caught up in the characters and the action, I barely gave it a thought. What I did find odd about this book is that mentally, I think it should be an EPIC book, but everything happens on such a local level (within the crew) that it really isn't one of those spanning-for-years epic books.

Thanks GAF for recommending this to me!

The first is the best book in the series.

It only goes downhill from here (with some exceptions).

Also, his description of the mechanics of his magic eventually start getting annoying.

Lear

Finished
51m7%2BfoPEsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
and
41E7qbtHstL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
yesterday.

I Shall Wear Midnight was very good, though it seemed very dark (not a bad thing, I must stress). Discworld novels are quite often dark, but it's usually in a very tongue-in-cheek humorous whereas here there are moments which are just plain bleak. Not to get all armchair psychologist but it's not difficult to imagine why Pratchett might be taking a darker turn in his writing, what with his health and all.

Not sure what I'm going to be reading next. Will probably make a crack at something from the Booker shortlist, all the while being bitter that my favourite from the longlist didn't make it onto the shortlist.

Jhoan

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. A friend from the gym recommended it to me after he told me it was his favorite book and wanted me to read it so we could discuss it so I bought it last week. I've only read the prologue chapter, but it seems to be pretty good. I haven't read a book in about 2 months though, so it's hard for me to get into them and I'm having a hard time trying to imagine how a Scottish accent would sound like for the main character except that I keep trying to think of Craig Ferguson although that's not the right person.

Angst said:
Currently reading:
5043.jpg

It's pretty long so I expect it will last a while...

Great book. I started it not knowing anything about it and was confused at first because it was my first historical fiction, but really enjoyed it. You'd be surprised how quickly the pages fly in a long book like this one.

I've been watching the series on Netflix Instant Q as it comes out and it's actually not too shabby.

ymmv

Banned
Jerk 2.0 said:
The first is the best book in the series.

It only goes downhill from here (with some exceptions).

Also, his description of the mechanics of his magic eventually start getting annoying.

Nonsense. The other two books are great too. I thought the second book was a bit slow in the middle but it really picked up and it had a great ending. The third book was at the same high level as the first one. Sanderson keeps expanding his magic system and I loved how neatly it all fit in with his plotting and world building. There are a number of small, seemingly insignificant things from the first book that will become hugely important in the third book.

Currently splitting my time between:

2hevlhf.jpg

and

126bqjd.jpg

The former is weird having seen the movie first, and the latter is getting progressively more interesting.

X-Frame said:
I agree. I loved the first 2 books and all the characters A LOT but Mockingjay was definitely not the way I would've liked to see the series end. I almost wish I never read it ..

That's the first thing I thought when I finished. It would probably be better for people to just read the last 2 paragraphs of the book and just consider it a epilogue to Catching Fire.

VGChampion said:
It's disappointing Mockingjay supposedly doesn't end well. I just read the other two over the weekend and have Mockingjay arriving tomorrow from Amazon. Guess I'll know for myself how it ends tomorrow.

Sorry man.

Max

I am not Max
9781857983395.jpg

About halfway through VALIS and I just ordered Time Out of Joint and Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said from the book depository today.

PKD-binge.

511mrsb2EeL._SS500_.jpg

I was reading this, but somehow TOR screwed up the ebook so that chapters 16-23 are from this book instead...

7637851.jpg

I hope Amazon fixes this as soon as possible. -_-

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Jarlaxle said:
It's been awhile but from what I remember,
doesn't Darcy help Lizzie's sister from the situation with Whickam (I think that was his name) with zero regard or want of thanks when he detests Whickam for what he did to his family and his sister. Doesn't he then go to his friend and tell him to marry Lizzie's other sister because she is what would make him happy and that he shouldn't listen to anyone else and then ultimately, doesn't he marry Lizzie even though her station is way below his and his aunt is appalled by the notion? In the beginning of the novel he is a rich, stuck up, aristocrat who is very attracted to a pretty girl who comes from an awful family which is also not well off. In the end of the novel he is still rich, but he is understanding of others and more tolerant. He embraces that which before he thought detestable and learns a large measure of humility.

I can understand not liking the characters or the book but I'm not sure I can't see how someone can't see the growth in character. To each their own I guess.
::edit::

Nevermind what I wrote before, this is more succint and accurate -

I guess the best way to put it is that I didn't feel that there was a growth process so much as a switch getting flipped somewhere in the middle. Everybody acted one way in the beginning, there was a single turning point in the middle, and afterwards everybody basically acted the same as they always had but suddenly looked on each other as the best people on earth.

Finished reading The Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding - I had worried that under the extra weight of having to continue or resolve character back-story plots laid out in Retribution Falls that there wouldn't be room for all the action that made the last book such an entertaining read, but thankfully Chris Wooding has done an exceptional job in crafting another page-turner set in his vivid and unique sci-fi fantasy world of airships and magic. The plot isn't remarkable, but it's the strength of the characters and the world they inhabit combined with the frenetic pace at which Wooding moves the story along that makes both of his books centered around the crew of the Ketty Jay thoroughly enjoyable.

blacklung.jpg

ProudClod said:
First 50 pages were a mess, but I'm REALLY enjoying it now :)

I was the same way with Anathem, for the first 100 or so pages I was debating giving up on the book, but after perceiving I found it to be hugely enjoyable in the end. Fantastic novel.

Bootaaay said:
Finished reading The Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding - I had worried that under the extra weight of having to continue or resolve character back-story plots laid out in Retribution Falls that there wouldn't be room for all the action that made the last book such an entertaining read, but thankfully Chris Wooding has done an exceptional job in crafting another page-turner set in his vivid and unique sci-fi fantasy world of airships and magic. The plot isn't remarkable, but it's the strength of the characters and the world they inhabit combined with the frenetic pace at which Wooding moves the story along that makes both of his books centered around the crew of the Ketty Jay thoroughly enjoyable.

blacklung.jpg

Nice, I have that book in my queue since I really enjoyed the first book.

Duress said:
Just finished House of Leaves. I guess it was okay. I didn't find it scary, maybe I lacked imagination.

Yeah, I felt the same way about it. For all the hype it has about how scary it is, I didn't find it scary at all. I guess the way the book is laid out is weird and quirky, but scary? no.

Started reading The Big Short last night for my office book club:

It's okay for a book on something boring (to me at least). The author has an entertaining way of describing people and I'm sure a lot of the book is sensationalistic, but I guess that's what sells books.

Also read the beginning of Well of Ascension because I couldn't resist. Definitely starts you off in the action, but not sure if I want to commit a large chunk of time reading the massive book.

I've been wanting to start the Vorkosigan Saga books since I want to read some space opera.

According to GR, this is the first book of the series:

but someone else mentioned this as being the first, so not sure which to start:

KingGondo

Banned
Adam Blade said:
I was reading this, but somehow TOR screwed up the ebook so that chapters 16-23 are from this book instead...

7637851.jpg
:lol That sucks.

That tagline, though--it does make you wonder. Which would YOU choose?

the chick

Dresden

nakedsushi said:
According to GR, this is the first book of the series:
[]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51S86PPBW9L._SL500_.jpg[/img]

but someone else mentioned this as being the first, so not sure which to start:
[]http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1180035497l/990090.jpg[/img]
Just start with whatever. Falling Free chronologically is the "first" book in the saga, but it deals with events that don't really relate to the Vorkosigans until one of the last books in the series. Shards of Honor is about the main character's parents, so that's always a good start.

But picking up "Barrayar" might be the best idea.

Mifune

Mehmber
Bootaaay said:
I was the same way with Anathem, for the first 100 or so pages I was debating giving up on the book, but after perceiving I found it to be hugely enjoyable in the end. Fantastic novel.

Strange. I thought the world building in those first 100 pages was absolutely astonishing. I felt like I was learning a new language.

And for me at least, the rest of the book didn't live up to that stunning opening.

Still really liked Anathem overalll, though. Stephenson has done a pretty impressive job of reinventing himself with each new novel.

FnordChan

nakedsushi said:
I've been wanting to start the Vorkosigan Saga books since I want to read some space opera.

According to GR, this is the first book of the series (Shards of Honor) but someone else mentioned this as being the first (Falling Free), so not sure which to start.

The first Vorkosigan book in publication order is Shards of Honor. Falling Free takes place a couple of hundred years before the rest of the books in the series, so while technically first chronologically it's more of a stand alone book.

Normally I recommend folks read series in publication order, and you could certainly do that here, but in the case of the Vorkosigan series you probably want to read them (more or less) by internal chronology. I recently turned a friend of mine onto the books; here's the order she's read them in so far:

1. Shards of Honor
2. Barrayar

(These are available as the omnibus Cordelia's Honor.)

3. The Warrior's Apprentice
4. The Vor Game
5. The Borders of Infinity (containing "The Mountains of Mourning", "Labyrinth", and "The Borders of Infinity".)

(The first two and "The Mountains of Mourning" are included in the second omnibus volume, Young Miles.)

6. Cetaganda
7. Ethan of Athos
8. Falling Free

(The first two and "Labyrinth" are included in the third omnibus, Miles, Mystery & Mayhem. Falling Free, as mentioned above, stands alone completely and can be read at basically any time.)

9. Brothers in Arms
10. Mirror Dance
11. Memory

(The first two and "Borders of Infinity" are included in the fourth omnibus, Miles Errant. Memory is only available as a stand alone book. Brothers in Arms is the point at which you really want to make sure you're reading the series in chronological order.)

Things progress from there. You can see another reading order recommendation here or check out the Wikipedia entry for the Vorkosigan series and just follow the publication order.

tl;dr = Start with Cordelia's Honor (Shards of Honor/Barrayar).

FnordChan

Wow, thanks for the helpful breakdown of the series order, FnordChan and Dresden. I didn't realize it could be that confusing.

After reading Ender's Shadow years ago before reading Ender's Game, I'm super paranoid of not reading series' in the right order.

Vox-Pop said:
Why is Slaughter-house Five so popular? I'm not liking it.

You don't have to like it just because it's well regarded. It can be a polarizing book to some extent (and Vonnegut certainly can), which is what makes it great to me.

I love it for it's storytelling method, interesting characters, the crazy plot, and Vonnegut's perspective on WW2 and the world in general. My favorite book of his is The Sirens of Titan. Maybe you'd like that better, or maybe even less.

What don't you like about it?

The Long Ships.

I came in the thread to recommend this work of manly historical fiction to GAF and was surprised to see that this NYRB publication has such a following here.

Quake1028

FnordChan said:
The first Vorkosigan book in publication order is Shards of Honor. Falling Free takes place a couple of hundred years before the rest of the books in the series, so while technically first chronologically it's more of a stand alone book.

Normally I recommend folks read series in publication order, and you could certainly do that here, but in the case of the Vorkosigan series you probably want to read them (more or less) by internal chronology. I recently turned a friend of mine onto the books; here's the order she's read them in so far:

1. Shards of Honor
2. Barrayar

(These are available as the omnibus Cordelia's Honor.)

3. The Warrior's Apprentice
4. The Vor Game
5. The Borders of Infinity (containing "The Mountains of Mourning", "Labyrinth", and "The Borders of Infinity".)

(The first two and "The Mountains of Mourning" are included in the second omnibus volume, Young Miles.)

6. Cetaganda
7. Ethan of Athos
8. Falling Free

(The first two and "Labyrinth" are included in the third omnibus, Miles, Mystery & Mayhem. Falling Free, as mentioned above, stands alone completely and can be read at basically any time.)

9. Brothers in Arms
10. Mirror Dance
11. Memory

(The first two and "Borders of Infinity" are included in the fourth omnibus, Miles Errant. Memory is only available as a stand alone book. Brothers in Arms is the point at which you really want to make sure you're reading the series in chronological order.)

Things progress from there. You can see another reading order recommendation here or check out the Wikipedia entry for the Vorkosigan series and just follow the publication order.

tl;dr = Start with Cordelia's Honor (Shards of Honor/Barrayar).

FnordChan

All of the Omnibus volumes cheaper here, and available in many formats: http://www.webscription.net/s-13-lois-mcmaster-bujold.aspx

Olorin

farseer-trilogy.jpg

I'm currently rereading the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. I've read it twice before, but I forgot most of it so I've been enjoying it a lot again. Just finished the first book a few days ago. The first few introduction chapters are a bit slow, but once Fitz gets his first assignment, it gets hard to put down. Regal has to be one of the most despicable characters ever, while I just want to hug the Fool.

Easystride said:
51GRR6K34GL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51qxhokQlWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I've been trying to get back into reading, so I picked up these two books from my local library. Finished The Spy Who Came in From the Cold a few days ago. I recently started The Name of the Wind, and I am loving it so far, 200 pages in. After I finish it, I hope to find a good Hitchcock-like mystery/thriller to read, if possible. There is so many books to choose from that I am overwhelmed!
So I'm about to finish The Name of the Wind, and I have absolutely loved it so far. If anyone has a quick suggestion as to what I should read next, I would appreciate it. I would like to pick up another fantasy book, and perhaps a mystery book as well so I don't get burnt out on fantasy.

Coldsnap said:
514lRIhx-DL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-17,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

just started it, seems good.
I read this and enjoyed it.
The interview with Adelstein on Fresh Air was pretty good as well. That's how I found out about it.

9780226060675.gif

I can understand why this is considered a required read for anyone interested in linguistics. Even the things I already know are explained expertly as to make them worth reading about again.

Top Bottom