• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA News, Information, & Beta Thread

I heard that they went and cleaned out a bunch of idle accounts which might be played from outside of Korea, so if you try to log back in don't be surprised to be facing a mandatory Account Verification before you can play again. The Chinese RMTs who sold us our accounts back in the day can do this for us but they'll charge us a fee. So you'd be buying another time card and probably paying the Account Verification fee.

With the game launching stateside in 2 months, it seems hardly worth the effort to level another character in K-Tera only to abandon it in a matter of months.

I got my account back and my lv 37 priest is still there.. otherwise I wouldn't even be considering this lol (I used e-mail verification)

How did you pass the verification? Don't they ask for all that Korean crap again, like KSSN and phone number?

You can pass verification via e-mail with your Name, KSSN, ID, and e-mail you have linked to the account. If you don't have the information, you can retrieve it from 3Zoom support if you have your order information. I re-activated but not sure about downloading the client again. Does the OBT client still patch to retail? I found a torrent but someone claimed it didn't patch anymore and the direct Han Game download is slow as fuck.

Let's just be brutally honest here and admit that GAF MMOG guilds tend to just die after the first month, especially in more niche titles. Hell, outside of WoW I can't think of a GAF guild which has survived in any real capacity, even the Rift and SWTOR GAF guilds died horribly after the first month. I'm not going to make the same mistake I made in FFXIV, I will trust nobody to stay with me after the first month or two. Then I won't be sad when people I liked vanish and never return. I'm hoping the few of us who played together in K-Tera will stick around more than a month at the very least.

You should also be aware that if GAF rolls on a PvE server we will most certainly lose Izayoi and Arveene, they are going to a PvP server regardless of what anyone else does. I still remember that it was Izayoi in the very beginning who made that original thread that got a few of us into playing a game entirely in a language none of us could understand on servers on the other side of the Pacific Ocean. I know that I wouldn't have even known about this game much less have been willing to try it if it weren't for him and Arveene more than a year ago now. I will be sad if and when we lose them.

That would definitely be the biggest drawback to deciding against PVP for me since I really enjoy playing with those guys, but I thought they were rolling with NFA or TFT. Was that just for beta? In any event, I'm prepaid for a year and so is androidcandy (Alora, Celty, etc.). I know Robobandit is down for the long term also, so that's a start.

vivin

Let's just be brutally honest here and admit that GAF MMOG guilds tend to just die after the first month, especially in more niche titles. Hell, outside of WoW I can't think of a GAF guild which has survived in any real capacity, even the Rift and SWTOR GAF guilds died horribly after the first month. I'm not going to make the same mistake I made in FFXIV, I will trust nobody to stay with me after the first month or two. Then I won't be sad when people I liked vanish and never return. I'm hoping the few of us who played together in K-Tera will stick around more than a month at the very least.

You should also be aware that if GAF rolls on a PvE server we will most certainly lose Izayoi and Arveene, they are going to a PvP server regardless of what anyone else does. I still remember that it was Izayoi in the very beginning who made that original thread that got a few of us into playing a game entirely in a language none of us could understand on servers on the other side of the Pacific Ocean. I know that I wouldn't have even known about this game much less have been willing to try it if it weren't for him and Arveene more than a year ago now. I will be sad if and when we lose them.

I agree with this, I really dont see how a GAF guild will work on a pvp server. Theres just simply not enough of us.

What about the private chat function? at least that will allow us to join any guild we want, but still keep in contact ingame

You can pass verification via e-mail with your Name, KSSN, ID, and e-mail you have linked to the account. If you don't have the information, you can retrieve it from 3Zoom support if you have your order information. I re-activated but not sure about downloading the client again. Does the OBT client still patch to retail? I found a torrent but someone claimed it didn't patch anymore and the direct Han Game download is slow as fuck.

That would definitely be the biggest drawback to deciding against PVP for me since I really enjoy playing with those guys, but I thought they were rolling with NFA or TFT. Was that just for beta? In any event, I'm prepaid for a year and so is androidcandy (Alora, Celty, etc.). I know Robobandit is down for the long term also, so that's a start.

I let it download overnight and it was pretty much done in the morning..

I've re-upped for a month in K-Tera.. got my priest almost half way to 39.. I had been thinking that the exp rates changed from K-Tera to NA, but that doesn't seem to be the case.. K-Pai at 23 has 275k tnl.. which seems in line with her NA PVP representative.. maybe it just seems faster than I remember because I can actually read everything and there's no trial and error.

Type2

Personally I dont mind going pve or pvp. I know ill will be pvping regardless. I think we should all calm down and see what en masse decides. Dont forget this was a test to see how this type of pvp would affect the game. They seem smart enough about making changes to the korean version better suited to our needs so I say give them a chance. Maybe theyll try new rules each beta until they decide on whats right.

EDarkness

I think this is generally true. It's sad to see the SWTOR Republic guild go to shit. Started out so awesome and active. Now I don't think I've seen more than 10 people on in the last week. :( Not sure what to do about TERA, though. I don't want to play alone like I am on the Japanese servers, but might end up that way, regardless.

Gabe at Penny Arcade posted some impressions from the TERA beta:

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/02/27/tera-beta

It looks like he really enjoyed it and is willing to continue playing some more. His only complaint was about the standard questing system -- a common point of contention that I have been seeing from many western MMO gamers.

Why did you feel this qualifier was necessary?

Just because non-western gamers don't complain about it doesn't make it good game design. They really need to have different starting areas for different races, I would also like to see different quests for different classes but I don't think that's going to happen in any MMO any time soon.

Slacker

I'll be rolling PvP for sure. If there aren't enough of us there to make it worth it, maybe we can all join another public guild together, like the Reddit guild.

My favorite video series on the different Tera classes just got updated with a rundown of the Mystic's abilities. A very good video that possibly just convinced me to roll with a Mystic as my main.

I started watching those last week, and while thorough, the flow of his voice and those random 'poop' noises make that dude annoying as hell.

esserius

Banned
How good is the archer when compared to melee DPS for PvP? I've been curious about this from the start. Seems like they've got a lot of good options.

T.O.P

Banned
So i pre-ordered the Digital vers. on Frogster on Monday

Still no beta key in the mail and i can't even log in on the website, is that normal? :x

Rinoa

Anyone know a good broadcast/record program? I tried one but it ended up costing hella monies and I didn't wanna buy it since I hardly use it.

Rinoa

When I try to stream game source it says "you have to purchase a license" to even use the option... I probably have the most latest version and it does that nowadays.

6JahB.png

anyone know where I can listen/get the TERA soundtrack? Love the music in this game..

So how would one go about getting into the beta now, if it's even possible?

Assuming you don't pre-order the game, which gets you into the rest of the "closed" betas, you just have to keep an eye out for the free key giveaways.
These keys are usually good for a single beta.

Those Tera videos with Bas Rutten are pretty awful, and I doubt that Bas Rutten even knows what he's actually shilling for in them, but Bas Rutten has made some really awesome videos in his time.

Bas Rutten - How to Win a Bar Fight

Watch all the way until the end to learn how to
stab people in the liver

Xyber

When I try to stream game source it says "you have to purchase a license" to even use the option... I probably have the most latest version and it does that nowadays.

6JahB.png

anyone know where I can listen/get the TERA soundtrack? Love the music in this game..

You have to set up a recording area with the free version. Press File > Add screen region. And you have to play the game in windowed mode otherwise you will just stream a black image.

Zeal

Banned
Have they actually implemented any large scale raids into the game yet? Also, does anyone have some nice videos showing the various instances that are in game already?

I have seen both the Witch Castle and Vampiri Manor, and both are mindblowingly beautiful. Oh, and I got a glimpse at somekind of pirate ship instance that looks equally amazing.

Whoever did the graphics for this game needs an award.

Rinoa

Anyone know if NA will get hats/etc on launch?

You have to set up a recording area with the free version. Press File > Add screen region. And you have to play the game in windowed mode otherwise you will just stream a black image.

Thanks, will do this for sure next beta. Plus most peeps play in windowed mode when broadcast since need to read what peeps say at same time.

With CBT2 coming up tomorrow and the high resolution texture pack implemented, I think now is good time to post a configuration guide.

Thanks for posting this. I spent 2 hours working on honing my settings using the KTera client. It was driving me nuts until I realized "Lighting Enrichment" set at 2 was messing up my settings. Things look quite sharp and clear in the distance now, and I've worked out anti-aliasing on the Nvidia side of things.

I'm running GTX 470 SLI and unfortunately there's still a bug where forcing AA in Nvidia Control Panel and turning it off in the game settings results in a regular and very seizure-inducing flicker when running in SLI. For now I'm leaving AA to Application Controlled in NCP and using Lighting Enrichment 2 in game settings to work around this. I hope Nvidia does get around to looking at and optimizing their drivers for Tera before launch, they are certainly aware of it's existence as SLI is now working properly in NA/EU Tera (as long as you only use the in-game AA toggle), where it really wasn't in K-Tera.

I'm running GTX 470 SLI and unfortunately there's still a bug where forcing AA in Nvidia Control Panel and turning it off in the game settings results in a regular and very seizure-inducing flicker when running in SLI. For now I'm leaving AA to Application Controlled in NCP and using Lighting Enrichment 2 in game settings to work around this. I hope Nvidia does get around to looking at and optimizing their drivers for Tera before launch, they are certainly aware of it's existence as SLI is now working properly in NA/EU Tera (as long as you only use the in-game AA toggle), where it really wasn't in K-Tera.

I was using this guide, maybe it will help:

http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/2012/02/tera-online-ini-performance-tweaks.html

But I'm guessing you're already running the latest drivers and tried all the compatibility bits. =/

I was using this guide, maybe it will help:

http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/2012/02/tera-online-ini-performance-tweaks.html

But I'm guessing you're already running the latest drivers and tried all the compatibility bits. =/

He wrote this in his guide:

I ran my game with both GTX460's in SLi, with the default AF2 (alternate frame rendering) setting. AF2 is the optimum setting for almost every game I've played. I've played about 12+ GPU intensive games since I got SLi, and I've never experienced any black flickering or problems, but in TERA I get this super annoying black flicker once every minute or so, as if a single random frame is showing up as a black screen.

This is exactly what I am experiencing. I'm glad that other people have this problem, because that means it's something that's reproducible and Nvidia can hopefully fix it. I've posted to the Nvidia forums about it and I hope someone will respond:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=224117

Scum

Bah! That's no Tank/Off-Tank. ;_;
I never thought there was anything wrong with the Warrior to begin with. Or maybe it was just me...

Technically, Warriors queue as DPS for dungeons...

If Bluehole buffs Warriors too much, they run the risk of making Slayers useless. I guess it's a good thing that I've come to like Berserker over Slayer in the CBTs.

TGMIII

anyone? ç_ç

the costumer service of that site sucks big time

I got my key but it was invalid, caused me to miss CB1. I created a support ticket on http://tera-en.custhelp.com/app/home if you haven't already and just bitch like hell. They previously told me my key was active even though it clearly wasn't since I couldn't log into the beta and I pretty much just acted like a dick in the second ticket and someone got back to me within hours with a CB2 key. They still haven't resolved my key issue but at least I can play.

Frogster really are a fucking joke.

esserius

Banned
Technically, Warriors queue as DPS for dungeons...

If Bluehole buffs Warriors too much, they run the risk of making Slayers useless. I guess it's a good thing that I've come to like Berserker over Slayer in the CBTs.
Yeah, I'm kinda worried about this as well. Still, Warriors don't get anything like Distant Blade as far as I know, and that seems to be one of the Slayer's best abilities for PvP (mostly because it's a great pressure ability, it's not really all that great as far as what's necessary to win i.e. stuns/interrupts).

Rinoa

Warrior definitely suffers from a identity crisis. The speed is like a thief, abilities remind me of a ninja class, yet they want it to also be a sort of tank, but now they're making it stronger?

I also wonder if TERA would get more classes, a Monk type would be nice. An action game begs to have some more hand to hand/martial arts going on.

Warrior definitely suffers from a identity crisis. The speed is like a thief, abilities remind me of a ninja class, yet they want it to also be a sort of tank, but now they're making it stronger?

I also wonder if TERA would get more classes, a Monk type would be nice. An action game begs to have some more hand to hand/martial arts going on.

Monk and Ninja class please!!!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Bah! That's no Tank/Off-Tank. ;_;
I never thought there was anything wrong with the Warrior to begin with. Or maybe it was just me...

There is nothing wrong with warrior. Warrior either goes all tanky or pure dps. There is no middle ground really unless you want to suck. They can off tank minor stuff as pure dps still, they still have a defensive stance * a weaker one* and their moves still reduce damage taken and they have the same dodge moves.

The class is pretty much fine, it's just the baddies making the class look worse than it really is.

If you have any old school wow exp. Think of warlocks.

Scum

There is nothing wrong with warrior. Warrior either goes all tanky or pure dps. There is no middle ground really unless you want to suck. They can off tank minor stuff as pure dps still, they still have a defensive stance * a weaker one* and their moves still reduce damage taken and they have the same dodge moves.

The class is pretty much fine, it's just the baddies making the class look worse than it really is.

If you have any old school wow exp. Think of warlocks.

So, as long as I learn the class well, I should be fine. Awesome. Oh, and my class on WOW was a Warlock. :-D
I think I going to be okay. :p

So, as long as I learn the class well, I should be fine. Awesome. Oh, and my class on WOW was a Warlock. :-D
I think I going to be okay. :p

There's a risk of ending up in the LoL-Huntard or LoL-DeathKnight category if this plays out like other MMORPGs. I.E. the n00b class everyone is terrible with so no one trusts you.

If they do cross-server LFG you should be okay but don't be surprised if people keep passing you up for a Lancer.

Top Bottom