• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

neoism

Feep said:

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.
sinkface.jpg

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
The lack of videos is seriously starting to get old.

Come the fuck on, I want to see more! This game is blowing my mind!

Blizzard

Banned
Jackson is probably busy and doesn't have time to answer everything, but since he answered my last question, maybe he'll see this:

It's been mentioned that you can't use the same words to solve a level again. How many times do you have to play a level before the game "forgets" your first words and you can use them again? Like, maybe 3 times? Also on that note, what if you find a really cool way to beat a level and want to show your friends. Is there a way to play it again with those same words (obviously not getting the same amount of points or whatever)?

Also I keep thinking about this game at random times. Latest thing I want to try: Plumber's helper + bow + rope/bungee cord.

Blizzard said:
Jackson is probably busy and doesn't have time to answer everything, but since he answered my last question, maybe he'll see this:

It's been mentioned that you can't use the same words to solve a level again. How many times do you have to play a level before the game "forgets" your first words and you can use them again? Like, maybe 3 times? Also on that note, what if you find a really cool way to beat a level and want to show your friends. Is there a way to play it again with those same words (obviously not getting the same amount of points or whatever)?

Also I keep thinking about this game at random times. Latest thing I want to try: Plumber's helper + bow + rope/bungee cord.

pretty sure he confirmed it was 3 earlier in the thread

Ashour

Holy crap at this game, I would have to say that this could be a really step forward for gaming even more than Natal and motion controller and it's being made on the DS imagine if it's on an HD console :eek:

I may be exaggerating but that is how I feel right now.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.

:lol :lol

Unbelievable

Eteric Rice

If this game can indeed do everything they say it can, this may be my game of the year.

Look out HD games, the DS is coming for you. :lol

Moz La Punk said:
Hey Jackson, so you're from 5th Cell? Can you confirm, cause I'm very hyped for this game and I also write for one of the biggest videogame websites in the Netherlands. I would love to ask some questions and generate more attention for your game. =)

Click on his tag.

Nice to see thread title change working.

Blizzard said:

He already said that it was 3 times.

Also, more hands-on:
http://www.gamervision.com/gamer/coop/blog/article/e3_09_hands_on_scribblenauts

CEILING CAT CONFIRMED! LONG CAT BEATS ZOMBIES CONFIRMED!

Tobor

So for the level editor, can I set the goal to be really obscure, where only one solution will work? I'm assuming no, since the database is relational.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

Holy fucking shit.

I dont believe you.

It is unpossible. The awesome cannot exist at such high potency.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Edited my OP to get more people interested. Thanks for the title change, mods!

Geez, will people knock it off with the emphasis on internet memes? They put it in as fanservice, but don't expect every retarded and stupid thing created in the cesspools of the Internet to be in it. I don't want to see some idiot bitch and whine later on because some stupid meme combination of badgers and mushrooms didn't start dancing in the game.

bounchfx

Mike M said:
So wait, is that Gamervision article correct in that there're only 10,000 words in the game's dictionary?

remember these are THINGS, not stuff like 'a', 'the', 'artificial', 'boom'

etc

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Mike M said:
So wait, is that Gamervision article correct in that there're only 10,000 words in the game's dictionary?
I believe jackson said "tens of thousands", and seeing how they keep adding more words to the objectnaut (see his post about them currently adding "really obscure dinosaurs") the game might just reach 100,000 before release (though 99,999 would be hella classy)

BorkBork

Mike M said:

I read the article, it looks like 10,000 is just their ballpark figure for impressing the reader. I would imagine there are way more than 10,000 eligible nouns in the English language.

Lyude77

turk128 said:
The answer is Moses, you heathen.

Or Jesus. You'd have to ride Jesus like Master Blaster across thou.
That would be awesome if they let you recreate scenes from the Bible (i.e. Moses + staff (maybe + God) near water = water parted, or Noah + wood = an ark or something). I don't see it happening though because those would be completely worthless categories for everything else. I mean, they could make Noah a builder, but I don't know of much else that would remove water like that (with a staff, anyway). But hey, if Objectnaut worked like that, it would be awesome. :D

Actually, I wonder if you could make Jesus and turn water into wine or something to kill the sharks, and make a wino (or several) to drink it to drain the wine lake.

Mike M

Nick N
EviLore said:
10,000 objects aren't enough now? Madness, people.

Oh shit no, that's not it at all. I'm more just curious as to how close to "absolutely everything is in the game" it actually gets.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Masklinn said:
I believe jackson said "tens of thousands", and seeing how they keep adding more words to the objectnaut (see his post about them currently adding "really obscure dinosaurs") the game might just reach 100,000 before release (though 99,999 would be hella classy)

A snippet from a friend's post on my Facebook profile page in response to the Scribblenauts stuff:

He said there were tens of thousands of words in the game. According to this site:
http://www.desiquintans.com/articles.php?page=nounlist there are about 55,000 nouns (although that includes things that aren't objects (i.e. January). I wonder how close they've got to including them all:
Spleen, Barium, Aglet. If they've got an Aglet in there I'll eat my hat!

55,000 is about what you need I reckon, and that's covering non-object things (although I reckon their removal will be balanced out by the more in detail additions, such as the obscure dinosaurs.)

Also something I didn't know until this post: an aglet is that little plastic nub on the end of your shoelaces. Edumacation!

Mike M

Nick N
SovanJedi said:
A snippet from a friend's post on my Facebook profile page in response to the Scribblenauts stuff:

55,000 is about what you need I reckon, and that's covering non-object things (although I reckon their removal will be balanced out by the more in detail additions, such as the obscure dinosaurs.)

Well that answers that.

Also something I didn't know until this post: an aglet is that little plastic nub on the end of your shoelaces. Edumacation!

Their true purpose is sinister.

BorkBork

dfyb said:
nothing i've seen in videos looks difficult. i hope the game challenges me, or i'll get bored of it before finishing it.

Ah, difficulty. The E3 demo was to get people to wrap their heads around the concept for the most part.

The game itself has over 200 levels. I'm sure they can come up with something to stump people. There's also a merit system to reward interesting solutions. You also can't use the same solutions twice, so replay value is there as well.

I wonder if I can blow up the game by using overly vague homographs.

A combination of nouns only and a system that asks you what you specifically want seemed to be able to take that problem on.

Wollan

This is amazing. How long have they been working on this?

A base set of rules like object behavior, weight, material..etc and whatever other attributes coded to every item and there's 10000+ of them. Then you add time travel and and...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
It's been quoted enough BUT HOLY FUCKING SHITTTTTTTTTTTT. GAME OF THE FOREVER

Wollan said:
This is amazing. How long have they been working on this?

A base set of rules like object behavior, weight, material..etc and whatever other attributes coded to every item and there's 10000+ of them. Then you add time travel and and...
Yeah that's what really stumps me, there must be some kind of trick to it because coding all those relations must seem like hell

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
SovanJedi said:

They have stuff that probably isn't in this list (e.g. the internet memes), so I say they could reach for teh stars.

Top Bottom