• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioMutant - Announcement Trailer (from ex-Just Cause/Mad Max Devs)

Tovarisc

A bunch of vehicles and slow meh looking combat. No wonder there were so many cuts during it.

We knew there would be several vehicles so them showing them off isn't particularly big surprise. Also I wouldn't judge combat just yet to be slow and bad because, like you said, a lot fast cuts.

Hopefully we get some raw gameplay from Gamescom.

Edit: words are hard, just ask Trump

whyman

I think it looks good. Some polish is needed. A small team do not have the time to polish just parts of the game for a trailer like AAA studios do. Most games 6 - 12 months from release looks like this. As long as the core mechanics are there and working it will be great! :)

Akainu

We knew there would be several vehicles so them showing them off isn't particularly big surprise.
I actually sort of misread what i quoted and combined my response with another post. The vehicles i have no real problem with.
Also I would judge combat just yet to be slow and bad because, like you said, a lot fast cuts.

As i did. ;p Anywho because they don't really have anything to show but what was there was really unimpressive.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Gameplay trailer sold me tbh. Seems like there'll be a good variety of vehicles and weapons, then there's the whole gene aspect of it all and the design of literally everything.

bunkitz

Oof. Sounded really intriguing, but the gameplay trailer didn't look appealing to me at all. Shame. I hope to have a different opinion the more I see of it, I suppose.

Tecnniqe

Banned
As i did. ;p Anywho because they don't really have anything to show but what was there was really unimpressive.
What's clearly a typo won't make it fit the narrative you got.

Like he said, why judge the entire games combat on fast edited clips? It's not like the 14 man team have a department of media people editing every single frame like the games people seem to compare it with. On the other hand they seem to have a lot of cool ways to deal with combat instead of the super streamlined "we gave you this so you will only use this item".

Tovarisc

So clever, removing my typo correction to make funny.

I personally will keep eye on this title and look for more (raw) gameplay. Art, themes etc. are interesting and fresh in current landscape of games so I hope it's good.

PrimeBeef

I personally will keep eye on this title and look for more (raw) gameplay. Art, themes etc. are interesting and fresh in current landscape of games so I hope it's good.
Rough or not, I will be doing the same. I'd rather support this than most of the regurgitated safe AAA sequelitis BS that's out there.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Rough or not, I will be doing the same. I'd rather support this than most of the regurgitated safe AAA sequelitis BS that's out there.
✓

Also red panda

Pandy

Gameplay looked rough, but definitely in the style of something I'd be interested in. will be keeping an eye on this.

The Rizza

Looks really cool! I like the design of the protagonist. Mad Max was a great surprise. I wonder if they'll build off their Arkham-style combat or make it more free like Darksiders or DMC. Either way, I'm excited for this!

Sygma

Combat seems to totally lack of punch so yeaaaah

Wouldn't give it too many hopes since Mad Max was hot garbage

This game seems to continue European game developers' finest traditions.

-Intriguing world
-Novel mechanics
-All in all, charming as h*eck
-Gameplay little janky at times

Mount & Blade is hailed by my as a finest action rpg of all time. It is really janky and wonky and all but it is really, really charming and full of neat gameplay ideas.

This could be the same, but in a different way.

I liked how those enemies had a healthbar, makes this more RPG than shooter/something similar.

And the lead apparently started as a pen and paper crafter, so it gives confidence that this game will have proper RPG roots.

Akainu

I assumed you removed my typo correction because of 2 minute gap. If you didn't then my bad,
...fine
Like he said, why judge the entire games combat on fast edited clips? It's not like the 14 man team have a department of media people editing every single frame like the games people seem to compare it with. On the other hand they seem to have a lot of cool ways to deal with combat instead of the super streamlined "we gave you this so you will only use this item".
"Entire game." I'm judging what they have decided to show me. For a game that seems to have some kind of kung fu vibe they are failing that. Maybe they should have spent the money on that instead of that crap cg trailer.

luffeN

Played it an hour ago, it is a solid title. Controls are very similar to Darksiders with LB/LT as modifiers for special moves and abilities, normal and weapon attacks etc. I kinda disliked the narrator, not sure why. He was maybe a little too tongue in cheek. More polish and it will be at least above average imo.

Played it an hour ago, it is a solid title. Controls are very similar to Darksiders with LB/LT as modifiers for special moves and abilities, normal and weapon attacks etc. I kinda disliked the narrator, not sure why. He was maybe a little too tongue in cheek. More polish and it will be at least above average imo.

How's the open world scope for the demo? How big is it?

Can you explore everywhere or is it a limited quest session?

Also, how's the animation?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Doesn't look like a red panda.

Code:
[IMG]http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/597820/ss_bd6520370a7e1470c7d7a1d631cfcd75e9b2ff4f.1920x1080.jpg?t=1503380214[/IMG]
[IMG]https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Q9thukApK4jL0QgJs_97wgoGG8Q=/12x0:4907x3263/1200x800/filters:focal(12x0:4907x3263)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49388585/16071828377_85109fdee4_o.0.0.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://images.alphacoders.com/485/485837.jpg[/IMG]

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Code:
[IMG]http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/597820/ss_bd6520370a7e1470c7d7a1d631cfcd75e9b2ff4f.1920x1080.jpg?t=1503380214[/IMG]
[IMG]https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Q9thukApK4jL0QgJs_97wgoGG8Q=/12x0:4907x3263/1200x800/filters:focal(12x0:4907x3263)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49388585/16071828377_85109fdee4_o.0.0.jpg[/IMG]

I knew you would post this pic, look at it's tail, doesn't look like a fluffy red panda tail.

That's face paint. You can customize your little guy with different colors etc.

Sorry Red Panda GAF but this isn't a red panda.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I knew you would post this pic, look at it's tail, doesn't look like a fluffy red panda tail.

That's face paint. You can customize your little guy with different colors etc.

Sorry Red Panda GAF but this isn't a red panda.

Its a mutant. A red panda inspired mutant.

Face and ears are too close in resemblance for it not to have been inspired by the panda.

Fbh

Looks cool but I have to see more.
Hopefully we get some unedited combat gameplay during the week.

The world did look rather empty but mabye it's because they wanted to focus on the nice looking environments.

Look, the concept is great, but that gameplay footage is really rough. It's like they didn't have enough to display. I don't think this game was ready to be shown, and now I'm not sure it will be ready for release next year either...

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Kinda optimistic about it. Looks a bit rough but the setting ("sunny post-apocalyptic") is something I've been waiting for quite a while (HZD kinda scratched the itch too) and with some of the folk apparently involved that made JC and the Mad Max game I can have some faith in the open world qualities of the title.

It looks and sounds a bit like something AA from a previous era, the kinda title you don't see around much anymore in between the polished triple A stuff and the indie scene. Eager to hear more about it.

Maffis

14 People doing all this is super impressive. I just hope the game will offer substance in the gameplay. Just Cause and Mad Max was fun but they both suffer from repetitive gameplay.

I wish the studio all the very best and hope all that hard work pays off. I love new IP, it's what every generation is all about to me, so to see such a small studio making this, I'm rooting for them.

Raven117

I think it looks kinda cool! Something different. Almost a little 90's "tude" throwback mixed with some modern open world.

I can absolutely forgive some of the combat mechanics if they make up for it with other gameplay ideas, world building, story, etc.

Top Bottom