• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Camera already out, unboxing videos inside

Wurdfurd

Slow news day?

Pretty sure there were camera unboxing videos in other threads. Not to mention they have been readily available for like a week now in some markets.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
hhhhahahah.. My man in the second video is hyped as shit. That's funny.

TriGen

I'm getting one, so it's cool to get a good look at it, because honestly not much has been said or shown regarding the camera. I just committed to it because I would like to use Twitch, so I figured being able to use it like a webcam at the very least made it worth picking-up.

Calibus

Eh I'm not a huge fan of the design. It looks like they were going for a Kinect-like shape. Would have preferred to have seen something a bit more unique. Just personal preference.

satam55

Banned
It's a smart move by Sony to release the PS Eye Camera early along with the Dualshock 4. It'll peak folks interest enough to buy it.

I don't know why it took so long to hit me, but the thing makes me think of a tootsie roll bar.

I think it's supposed to be a custom-shaped USB, so that shouldn't be too hard.
I believe the signal is analog and the analog->digital converter is in the system itself, hence the custom port.

Barsinister

Banned
Bought one yesterday when I picked up Batman Vita. Haven't opened it yet. I stuck it in my closet and am waiting for the big day.

satam55

Banned
How is Sony able to charge ONLY $60 for the camera? I was looking at webcams on Amazon.com and I noticed that a webcam that has the features of the PS4 Camera would definitely cost more than $60.

jaypah

How is Sony able to charge ONLY $60 for the camera? I was looking at webcams on Amazon.com and I noticed that a webcam that has the features of the PS4 Camera would definitely cost more than $60.

Those other companies overcharging? Sony over delivering on value? Aliens?

Finalizer

It's a smart move by Sony to release the PS Eye Camera early along with the Dualshock 4. It'll peek folks interest enough to buy it.

pique.

They had cameras for sale alongside the DS4s at a local Gamestop. The employee I talked to amusingly remarked how there was basically zero interest while some folks were already picking up the controllers, heh.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Eh I'm not a huge fan of the design. It looks like they were going for a Kinect-like shape. Would have preferred to have seen something a bit more unique. Just personal preference.
A "Kinect-like shape" being a rectangle? We're going level accusations of copying solely on the basis of basic geometric patterns now?

In any case it's more likely a case of function determining form more than any intent to copy. Stereoscopic cameras and mic arrays need to be laid out in certain ways to actually be effective.

So is there a magnet on that last panel of the stand or something? No sure I get how it attaches to a TV if not. If so, I could easily get this on the top of my TV. It's tiny and would be pretty inconspicuous.

ckohler

1st Video: Dude doesn't even know what he bought or how it would work.
2nd Video: Dude is way over excited but is funny.
3rd Video: Dude is calm, collected and accurate.

Watch video 3.

Derpcrawler

To be honest I don't understand why would you need camera on launch. Isn't the only game supporting it is PlayRoom? Unless you are twitch streamer, I don't see any way to use the camera until something else comes out that uses it.

Barsinister

Banned
Opened the box just now. The stand has three hinges that bend to hook onto the TV.
On the part where the stand holds the camera, it has some prongs that snap the camera into place.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Jtight's Brother in law: "This nigga over here touching my camera!"

What's the size compared to your common household item?

Top Bottom