• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the new MS Surface Pro

I was wondering if the dual protocol pen would support tilt. So if it does that's good news.

Now, hopefully MS N-Trig will be able to get rid of it's diagonal line jaggy issue sometime soon.

Diagonal jitter is a none issue unless you draw retarded slow. If you draw that slow, spend more time practicing drawing faster ffs.

As for tilt, it's no guarantee, but it should be a gen 13 pen and thus should have tilt. *crosses fingers*

antyk

I wish they'd somehow fit a quad-core i5 / i7 in there... I don't care about battery life and I'd get it for music production if they managed to do that.

But I'm afraid it's just an upgrade to Kaby Lake, maybe with a passive cooling like Acer is offering.

I wish they'd somehow fit a quad-core i5 / i7 in there... I don't care about battery life and I'd get it for music production if they managed to do that.

But I'm afraid it's just an upgrade to Kaby Lake with a passive cooling like Acer is offering.

If they do quad core in that form factor, it has to be either Atom (lol) or AMD Ryzen (too early). The thinnest I've seen Intel's 45W quad core "Core" SoC implementation is the VAIO Z Canvas, which is like a pound heavier and noticeably thicker tablet. Even then, VAIO down voltaged the SoC so it's more like 35W.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBKJRxBBGp4

I wonder which features they will include. There has to be a reason why they throw a new Surface Pro on the market, that is aesthetically the same as the SP4.

Futureman

Diagonal jitter is a none issue unless you draw retarded slow. If you draw that slow, spend more time practicing drawing faster ffs.

As for tilt, it's no guarantee, but it should be a gen 13 pen and thus should have tilt. *crosses fingers*

I've probably said this before but... I'm not a professional artist, never will be, it's a fun hobby, and the diagonal jitter when drawing slowly is annoying as hell. Are you saying there is not situation when a trained illustrator has to draw slowly? I just can't see why it wouldn't be a good thing to get rid of the jitter if possible. Not everyone is illustrating with their Surface anyways, so getting rid of that jitter on slow strokes would be ideal.

Pro's are so weird as each one barely upgrades from last unless you bought the shitty m3/dual core one

WRONG. I've had the m3 since launch and love it. It's called buying a computer that fits your needs. Sure it's shitty if you are trying to render 4K video or edit 5 GB Photoshop files, but then you bought the wrong computer...

On the one hand, I really wish they'd have a USB-C port. But the computers at work that use USB-C for docking have been super flakey for me for whatever reason, while my Surface Book and dock have been rock solid. Mixed feelings.

I've probably said this before but... I'm not a professional artist, never will be, it's a fun hobby, and the diagonal jitter when drawing slowly is annoying as hell. Are you saying there is not situation when a trained illustrator has to draw slowly? I just can't see why it wouldn't be a good thing to get rid of the jitter if possible. Not everyone is illustrating with their Surface anyways, so getting rid of that jitter on slow strokes would be ideal.

This isn't paper/canvas/ink/paint etc. You have something called UNDO in digital. It's infinitely better to try to nail the stroke fast and retry over and over than doing it slowly to get it done at first try. You'll get much better lines and do it more efficiently.

Dilemma: I love the sleek aesthetics and minimal design language of trying to make a performance and mobile product like with Surfacebook.

But I hate the high prices, the slow updates, lack of future proofing, and excessive upgrading cost, insulting entry level models. 4GB, 128GB SSD is not okay in 2017.

We need all the developers to make 360 hinges on anything. I want 360 degree hinges on top of other 360 degree hinges. I want convertible layouts on convertible cars. I want transformer flip 2-in-1 convertibles in everything.

We've had these as office laptops for a couple years now. No one uses them because everyone hates the form factor. Personally I find that they do everything they say on the tin, just in the most awkward and plain way possible. It feels like a rock with a kickstand and a plastic beard that's usually easier to take off than carry with you and that you write on with a wet noodle.

Certinty

Really glad I got a SP4 in September now.

Was going to wait for this but if I had I would have been so damn disappointed given the wait.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Dilemma: I love the sleek aesthetics and minimal design language of trying to make a performance and mobile product like with Surfacebook.

But I hate the high prices, the slow updates, lack of future proofing, and excessive upgrading cost, insulting entry level models. 4GB, 128GB SSD is not okay in 2017.
Its plainly obvious that they are premium devices to show OEMs how to make good looking devices that also perform well. There are other options that assauge all your concerns from other manufacturers.

Ummmmm it looks the same as my SP4 :
did you expect it to look different? They changed the form factor slightly from SP3 to SP4, it was extremely unlikely that they would change it again until the 6th revision.

No USB type C in 2017 is a huge error on Microsoft's part.
its really not. I never even heard of it until everyone whinning about other devices not having it.

Micael

Well glad I bought my surface pro 4 8gb 256gb second hand for 760€ (only 3 months of use and with keyboard and pen), because almost considered waiting to see if surface pro 5 was going to be a 2 to 3 kind of change.

My 2008-2009 Alienware MX 11 broke like 3 months ago so I was waiting for this. I'm disappointed it's not future proof with USB-C.

This will push me to buy Surface laptop.

The theory crafting I heard was that it won't be until the Kaby lake successor that you don't need an extra controller to do TB3/usbc stuff, so that's the point at which you'll see a redesign with them.

Panos was saying in an interview a week or two ago that they weren't going to make a "surface pro 5" just for a small spec change, preferring to wait until they felt they had something new enough to warrant a major revision. A SoC change in an identical chassis is disappointing but unsurprising given this attitude.

giga

XPS 13, X1 Carbon, and Yoga all have TB3. Really no reason not to drop mini DP for it. You don't have to give up your regular 3.0 and surface connector, so I'm not sure why people are characterizing it as such.

It's also weird to me people defending the decision because they don't have usb-c connectors or peripherals. What about people who do? External SSDs are also a thing now and usb 3.1 gen 2 speeds actually make them worthwhile.

mandiller

I know it doesn't have it but I kinda wanted a do it all device. Now I'll probably end up buying the laptop for work and iPad mini for couch web browsing. I thought maybe I could do both with surface.

Buy neither of those devices have USB-C.... how does that turn you off the choice of a Surface Pro? You wont get USB-C either way.

lightus

I'm actually relieved it's a "tock" style upgrade. I just bought a SP4 for $200 off a couple weeks ago. I would have felt some buyers remorse if added new functionality.

Concerning the SP4 itself, I love it. This is the first actual tablet I've own and it's been filling my usage needs perfectly. The only sort of weird thing for me is that they chose mini displayport over HDMI. It's not a huge issue but I wonder what their motivation for that is.

Top Bottom