• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

Awesome, stuff op!

If I had anything to say it would be to paint back in some shadows around the trim and cuffs of the jacket, like the original textures had. Help that ancient lighting engine a bit.

Great work so far! One thing I'd suggest to keep your scope down and make this something you can eventually tie a bow on and walk away from: focus only on character models and weapon models. Forget the environments. Either that or collaborate with someone to make things manageable. RE4 is a massive game.

I don't know you, but I think setting your sights on retexturing an entire game -- by yourself -- when you don't have lots of free time is setting yourself up for failure. Remember that most modern games often have handfuls of texture artists working 40+ hours a week.
I agree. I've started focusing on just the goal of redoing all the textures from this opening scene (the drive with the Spaniard Police, and the encounter with the first Ganado in the cabin). If I can finish that and I'm still happy with the progress and results, I'll move on.
I think you're doing excellent work. But definitely invest in a drawing tablet, of any kind.
EDIT: I don't know how RE4 models are packed, but does anyone know if it's possible to change them? If so, just throwing a turbosmooth on Leon can go an awful long way to making these retextures look even better. As it is now, even if your work is fantastic, it's limited by the low poly count and in some caes looks worse because it highlights how low-resolution the models are.
I broke down and got a tablet... there's a bit of a learning curve, but so far it's helped with curves and whatnot.

Re: the models, my hope is that once the new Ultimate HD version comes out, that the models will eventually be editable. Then perhaps I can port over these textures onto that version. Either that or someone will figure out how to edit the models for the Dolphin version (I know some such editing is happening with Brawl, but not sure to what extent).
Did you model the new textures on the RE4 airsoft gun?
Not sure what that is, sorry.
Please re-texture his hideous gloves. They were always bad.
This has been the hardest thing to do so far!! So much work and tweaking for minimal, imperfect results. The problem is that Leon's hands and wrists move around and as they do, the textures (two textures here - one of the hand, the other for the wrist) warp and distort, and no always in pleasant ways. Additionally, I couldn't a good reference for what the original artists were really going for, especially with the fingers and the padding on the back of his hand. In some shots (and in the orginal texture) it looks like another thin layer of leather, but on the model it's this thick mass that sticks out from the back of his hand.

So, all of this is to say I can understand why someone wouldn't spend much time on this texture and simply move on. But here's my attempt:

glovecomp01.png

glovecomp02.png

glovecomp03.png

glovecomp04.png

Also, does anyone know why the images would display with really dark contrast in Chrome (not the way they look in Photoshop), while displaying correctly in Internet Explorer?

Crub

Why not borrow textures that are to par from other mods and only work on the ones you feel are lacking? Seems like it would save a lot of time!

Why not borrow textures that are to par from other mods and only work on the ones you feel are lacking? Seems like it would save a lot of time!
I'll definitely do that as I go through. Likely for item pictures, text, things like that.

gblues

Banned
Also, does anyone know why the images would display with really dark contrast in Chrome (not the way they look in Photoshop), while displaying correctly in Internet Explorer?

Probably going through a colorspace conversion when viewed in Chrome. These look fine in Firefox. I'd say browser bug.

Next up, Leon's shoes hahaha... this one was tricky because I ended up having to redraw the texture from scratch due to a texture misalignment between the side view of the shoe and the top-down view. Also did the bottom but didn't capture a shot of it.

I'll try to do a bit more for the next update so there's something more substantial to share, but the shoe took long enough that I figured it was worth a post.

SystemBug

don't be afraid to dirty up clothing textures! Adding some mud and scruff marks on the shoe can greatly improve the look of it by adding some color and visual variation. Same thing with leons jacket.

and with metal, don't be afraid to throw some color into the texture maps. also just like the clothing, don't be afraid to rough it up. It makes sense in the context of the game. I was working on this gun for counter strike source 5 years ago (oh my) but never finished. but I think it should illustrate my point. notice the coloration of blue and red on the gun receiver?

don't be afraid to dirty up clothing textures! Adding some mud and scruff marks on the shoe can greatly improve the look of it by adding some color and visual variation. Same thing with leons jacket.
You're very right... I'll watch some youtube videos on techniques for doing that well and will revise. :)

This is really looking amazing. Keep it up.
Was watching some artwork for Leon and it seems the inside lightining of Leon's jackets has a browny subtle color that you could add inted a greyins white. Maybe that will look better.

Also, and I know this is really difficult, the nails in Leon's hands look too similar to each other now (maybe you need to repeat it for each finger and that's the problem) and is really apparent on the fat finger. The originals were also handrawn which maybe look a little better for this type of model instead of photorealistic nails.
I understand if you can't change that though.

What SystemBug is saying about roughing things up also seems to be the way to go.

Still, good luck with everything! The most important thing is that you are having fun with it.

This is really looking amazing. Keep it up.
Was watching some artwork for Leon and it seems the inside lightining of Leon's jackets has a browny subtle color that you could add inted a greyins white. Maybe that will look better.

Also, and I know this is really difficult, the nails in Leon's hands look too similar to each other now (maybe you need to repeat it for each finger and that's the problem) and is really apparent on the fat finger. The originals were also handrawn which maybe look a little better for this type of model instead of photorealistic nails.
I understand if you can't change that though.

What SystemBug is saying about roughing things up also seems to be the way to go.

Still, good luck with everything! The most important thing is that you are having fun with it.
Unfortunately the texture only has one finger, and that finger texture is applied to all five fingers. :-( I do think the idea of hand-drawing it might yield better results... I'll prolly go back and redo it when this part of the project (this opening sequence of the game) is done.

Thanks for the advice!!

Gonna have to take a break for the rest of the week, so here are some more progression shots. I almost tackled the tree textures tonight but then I realized it's one texture that's used on every single tree in the opening area, so I have to make something that's pretty flexible... Anyway, here's the progress:

I had to return the tablet (I'd borrowed it from a friend) and I'm ready to get my own. I'm thinking about the Intuos Pro Medium. Would this be over-kill? Or would going for the Large version be even better?

SystemBug

I had to return the tablet (I'd borrowed it from a friend) and I'm ready to get my own. I'm thinking about the Intuos Pro Medium. Would this be over-kill? Or would going for the Large version be even better?
I have a medium and it's fine. Before that I used to use a Small Bamboo a few years ago. I used the bamboo when I was still into game modding (texturing) and I had a good experience with it.

The new texturas are great, keep the good work.

I hope they can be used in the pc port...

Thank you! I think they should be able to be ported over - everything I've seen tells me they haven't fundamentally changed the texture approach and they haven't touched / updated the models.

Heh, your fireplace looks better than the Ulitmate HD one. Good jorb!

The planks look a little splotchy, could use some stronger transitions between the colors.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Dude, Crisdecuba!

You are killing it! Great job so far, your textures look totally fab.

I'm really impressed.

The planks look a little splotchy, could use some stronger transitions between the colors.
Thanks for the feedback. I agree the splotchiness makes it look a little bit off. Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by stronger transitions between the colors?

I have a medium and it's fine. Before that I used to use a Small Bamboo a few years ago. I used the bamboo when I was still into game modding (texturing) and I had a good experience with it.
Thanks for this - I ended up going with the medium and I'm really enjoying. :)

Dr.Acula

Banned
Looks sick, will this work in the new RE4?

And lol at all the posts near the top telling op not to do this. Texture packs are the best, Quake, System Shock, STALKER, Skyrim, the list goes on.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

And lol at all the posts near the top telling op not to do this. Texture packs are the best, Quake, System Shock, STALKER, Skyrim, the list goes on.

I don't think they were saying it in malice. Just wanting to be sure the OP knew that making a texture pack on your own takes a lot of time and effort.

I guess some where kind of being dicks about it though yeah

Thanks for the feedback. I agree the splotchiness makes it look a little bit off. Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by stronger transitions between the colors?

Sorry, I'm bad at explaining things, and I'm a beginner with texturing. I mean the differences between the lighter and darker areas around the edges. It looks like it was done with a circular brush with soft edges, kinda giving it a blah, blurry look. Try a rough dry brush, one with hard falloff, it might give a more natural look.

Sorry, I'm bad at explaining things, and I'm a beginner with texturing. I mean the differences between the lighter and darker areas around the edges. It looks like it was done with a circular brush with soft edges, kinda giving it a blah, blurry look. Try a rough dry brush, one with hard falloff, it might give a more natural look.
Thats a good explanation! :) I'm gonna see if I can address that - thanks!

Keikaku

As a diversion I started working on some environmental textures. :)

The textures I'm avoiding are for the faces... feels rather daunting...
Nice job man!

My one piece of advice that I would give is to create some sort of decal texture for the interior of the fireplace or give it some custom textures for the entire interior. The main problem there is that it looks completely unused and soot-free. A fireplace like that in that that old of a cottage in that worn down of a setting should look a bit more used-like it's been "around the block" a little.

I'd also check the glove texture again. That last shot makes it look like it has an issue with either the spec map or some sort of gloss map over it. It looks like the top of the glove is laminated or something. Is it an issue with the lighting?

Good job otherwise! In most cases, I think you've done a good job on making the textures fit in with the environment better than the Ultimate HD versions!

Asiriya

Neo Member
They look really good, I'm impressed that you haven't done this before. I'll agree with the other people mentioning dirtying the clothes up though. Especially the inside of the jacket seems too clean, could do with a cream or a bit of brown. If at the end of the game it's still pearlescent white it will be a bit strange ;)

Was this the game that set the "everything must be brown" trend in games? I loved it at the time, but damn... it's like, brown brown every where, brown brown.... BROWN!

Nzyme32

Don't get me wrong OP, I think it's great that you are passionately working on keeping the game future proofed... but, I'm not entirely sure the textures you are producing are an improvement from my subjective view point.

The textures appear almost smoothed, and much other the character of the original textures are lost. The coat for example loses a lot of its characteristics when the discolourations are wiped out.

This sort of thing can also be seen in the screenshots of the new PC HD edition. Many of the textures have lost their character in a similar way resulting in the HD edition looking somewhat... bland.. or stale... I'm not sure how to describe it.

EDIT - I stand corrected, some of the other textures you have made are a massive improvement!!

UnrealEck

This is an example of a good set of retextures. The reason being, it stays true to the original texture artist's work. I see a lot of textures for games like Skyrim where many of the textures look out of place compared to the original ones. I think this can demonstrate the talent some of the artists that work for these companies have when they have such a consistant look to their textures whereas retexture packs sometimes have many textures that break that consistancy.

Big Set of Responses Incoming... :)

Thanks again for the feedback. I tweaked it a bit - do you think this looks better?
My intent is to port it over to the new PC version, though it's an assumption on my part that it will be possible to mod. :)
My one piece of advice that I would give is to create some sort of decal texture for the interior of the fireplace or give it some custom textures for the entire interior. The main problem there is that it looks completely unused and soot-free. A fireplace like that in that that old of a cottage in that worn down of a setting should look a bit more used-like it's been "around the block" a little.
This is something I've struggled with it seems: How to give things a worn out look while making it subtle / fitting with the original artwork. The only option in this case is to have it be something that's applied to the entire fireplace, since it's just one texture for the entire structure. Any suggestions on how to approach making this look more weathered? Even if it's just general advise, I can run with it.
I'd also check the glove texture again. That last shot makes it look like it has an issue with either the spec map or some sort of gloss map over it. It looks like the top of the glove is laminated or something. Is it an issue with the lighting?
Yeah, it's the lighting that's built into the GCN / Wii versions. On slimy enemies it looks great, but on other things (Leon's jacket, jeans, glove, etc.) it results in a weird glossy effect that I can't eliminate. Once ported to the PC version this wouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the feedback!
They look really good, I'm impressed that you haven't done this before. I'll agree with the other people mentioning dirtying the clothes up though. Especially the inside of the jacket seems too clean, could do with a cream or a bit of brown. If at the end of the game it's still pearlescent white it will be a bit strange ;)
I'll take a crack at it soon. :) Nice thing is the jacket is stolen really early in the game, so I could claim it never had a chance to get dirty. :)
Don't get me wrong OP, I think it's great that you are passionately working on keeping the game future proofed... but, I'm not entirely sure the textures you are producing are an improvement from my subjective view point.

The textures appear almost smoothed, and much other the character of the original textures are lost. The coat for example loses a lot of its characteristics when the discolourations are wiped out.

This sort of thing can also be seen in the screenshots of the new PC HD edition. Many of the textures have lost their character in a similar way resulting in the HD edition looking somewhat... bland.. or stale... I'm not sure how to describe it.

EDIT - I stand corrected, some of the other textures you have made are a massive improvement!!
Hey, thanks for the constructive criticism! I'll take a crack at the discoloration for Leon's jacket, though my instincts tell me to keep it subtle. It's interesting, because in-game, the jacket looks like it has a lot of discoloration, yet in what seem to be official renders, the jacket looks a lot more uniform:
That said, I do think there's some room for improvement.
Are there any other textures you think I should look at again?

SystemBug

Thanks for this - I ended up going with the medium and I'm really enjoying. :)

glad I could help!

If you need any help texturing wise, feel free to PM me. I subscribed to your thread and I'm loving the progress you are making.

The new planks look much better!

Big Set of Responses Incoming... :)

Thanks again for the feedback. I tweaked it a bit - do you think this looks better?

I like it, looks a bit better to me :)

This is something I've struggled with it seems: How to give things a worn out look while making it subtle / fitting with the original artwork. The only option in this case is to have it be something that's applied to the entire fireplace, since it's just one texture for the entire structure. Any suggestions on how to approach making this look more weathered? Even if it's just general advise, I can run with it.

I don't really think there's anything you can do without editing the entire texture, unless if there's some way to edit the object with new material ids (I actually have no idea how RE4's material system works lol). But the closeup is for like five seconds so it doesn't really matter in my opinion.

I've been working hard and decided I might as well make a site to document my efforts. :)

So far I’ve gotten through the opening scene of the game where Leon rides with the Spanish cops (and since they share the same jacket texture, I’ve named each of them “Agente Johnson” in a nod to my favorite movie, Die Hard).

It wasn’t possible to redo everything perfectly, as warping and alignment issues are everywhere, and things that weren’t issues in Standard Def become issues in HD…)

More pics here: http://www.re4hd.com (can't believe the domain wasn't taken. :))

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Do you know if you'll change particle effects as well? Fire?

Looking fantastic so far. Make sure they're compatible with the new version once it releases, so we can easily swap them in if we'd like :)
As soon as it come out on PC, and as soon as it's clear how it's possible to mod textures, I'm porting over the existing progress to that version and will work from that version going forward. :)
Do you know if you'll change particle effects as well? Fire?
I don't think I'll be able to do anything about that. :(

you're doing a good job so far. I'm looking forwards to seeing a new version of the jacket that matches the discolouration in the original game. yours looks a bit too uniform. in small thumbnails the original looks better, and there's no technical reason why that need be the case.

your environmental stuff is spot on so far, much closer in tone to the originals than any other work I've seen, including the upcoming PC release. I hope you can keep going and finally give us something that increases the resolution of the textures without pissing all over the originals. you're definitely on the right track I'd say.

Komo

Banned
Not really a fan of the RE series, but I can always admire a texture overhaul mod!
This looks really great

linko9

Looks amazing man. And playing this in Dolphin is the best way to play it, IMO, so great that these will be compatible with the Wii version (that's still the plan, right?). It will take a really long time, but hopefully you'll keep interest!

Top Bottom