• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

Beth Cyra

Im half way through double zeta, but i really want to watch chars counterattack today. Is it safe to watch or should I finish zz first?
It's not things that will happen in Char's That you will be confused on without watching ZZ, so much as you'll ask yourself where are these really huge characters in this universe?

Characters like Haman, Judah, Kamille and several others don't make an apperance or have any explanation as to why they just aren't around in CCA.

It's not things that will happen in Char's That you will be confused on without watching ZZ, so much as you'll ask yourself where are these really huge characters in this universe?

Characters like Haman, Judah, Kamille and several others don't make an apperance or have any explanation as to why they just aren't around in CCA.

I'll just finish zz. Ive come this far watching it in order.

yami4ct

Got my Badger Patriot 105 in the mail today. Wanted to take it slow to make sure I learn everything properly so just put down a base silver on the frame on a yellow on the inner beam frame of the sword that needs to be masked. I'll probably do some WIP photos later today. So far, I'm really happy with the results. Metallics, as people pointed out online, do need to be more carefully thinned and I needed to up the pressure a bit to get them properly working, but I think I got a good base finish still. We'll see how it cures.

To anyone who's looking to get into airbrushing, I 100% would recommend the Patriot 105 as a starter brush. It's decently priced (I got it for $80, but I hear if you keep an eye on amazon you might even be able to get it as low as 60). It's also has a really nice sturdy construction and large parts that are hard to lose, damage or clog. As you get better, you'll probably want to buy a better detail brush but you'll still be able to use it for primers, base and top coats. As someone who tried to learn on a detail brush and had a hard time, this is a much better fit and still has a use even after learning.

P-Bandai HGCE Strike Freedom Gundam DX Edition.

Kind of glad I've been holding off on this kit, this looks like the version to get. The wings admittedly are not as good looking as the RG wings, but I'll take it.

Release Date: October 2017
Price: 4,104 Yen

Accessories:
Wings of Light effect parts x 4
DRAGOON beam effect parts x 8
DRAGOON injection effect parts x 8
Beam rifle x 2
Beam shield x 1
Beam saber x 2
Beam rifle effect parts x 2
Rail cannon effect parts x 2
GunPla stand

HGCE-STRIKE-FREEDOM-GUNDAM-WING-OF-LIGHT-DX%2B%25281%2529.jpg

HGCE-STRIKE-FREEDOM-GUNDAM-WING-OF-LIGHT-DX%2B%25282%2529.jpg

HGCE-STRIKE-FREEDOM-GUNDAM-WING-OF-LIGHT-DX%2B%25283%2529.jpg

HGCE-STRIKE-FREEDOM-GUNDAM-WING-OF-LIGHT-DX%2B%25284%2529.jpg

Are there any other nice Zeon/Neo Zeon MG kits besides the Sazabi and Geara Doga? I've been wanting my first MG to be a Zeon kit...but I find the plain Zaku 2.0 kit a bit boring visually.

The Hamma Hamma kit looks dope it's not a real MG or something?

Are there any other nice Zeon/Neo Zeon MG kits besides the Sazabi and Geara Doga? I've been wanting my first MG to be a Zeon kit...but I find the plain Zaku 2.0 kit a bit boring visually.

Personally fond of the Char's Z'Gok but might be in the minority on that. And yeah the 1/100 series is an odd bunch, its like a strange middle ground of HG and not quite MG, but the kits chosen are oddballs and seems like there is quite a lot of detail. Not exactly sure why they are not MG's to be honest.

Also I would watch all of ZZ, though as everyone will tell you the first 15 episodes or so are ROUGH to sit through and the overall story is all over the place.

Had a craving to grab the HG Gundam Legilis from AGE... really love its design. Should be quick as a HG right?

Sazabi as your first MG is probably not the best idea, haha. Geara Doga's great but a bit on the expensive side.
And as much as I love the 2.0 Zaku, it's a bit of a pain in the rear to sand the individual power cable rings. I keep telling myself never again, but I keep going back.

Maybe the 2.0 Gelgoog? It can be a bit of a brick, but that's the design of the Gelgoog for you. Still a very nice kit with a lot of detail and panel lines. Or if you don't mind an older kit (1999), the old Doms are still pretty solid. I'd favor the regular Dom over the Rick, just because it comes with more junk (and I've never been super keen on the Beam Bazooka). Might be a bit too simple, but nothing some scribing wouldn't fix.

Personally fond of the Char's Z'Gok but might be in the minority on that. And yeah the 1/100 series is an odd bunch, its like a strange middle ground of HG and not quite MG, but the kits chosen are oddballs and seems like there is quite a lot of detail. Not exactly sure why they are not MG's to be honest.
Tbh I like the z'gok it's pretty different.

Sazabi as your first MG is probably not the best idea, haha. Geara Doga's great but a bit on the expensive side.
And as much as I love the 2.0 Zaku, it's a bit of a pain in the rear to sand the individual power cable rings. I keep telling myself never again, but I keep going back.

Maybe the 2.0 Gelgoog? It can be a bit of a brick, but that's the design of the Gelgoog for you. Still a very nice kit with a lot of detail and panel lines. Or if you don't mind an older kit (1999), the old Doms are still pretty solid. I'd favor the regular Dom over the Rick, just because it comes with more junk (and I've never been super keen on the Beam Bazooka). Might be a bit too simple, but nothing some scribing wouldn't fix.
That's the thing about the OYW suits a lot of em look a bit boring 😥😥
But the Stardust Memory Zaku looks cool. The Kampfer too. But I looove the look of post Zeta zeon/Titan suits

The OYW suits might look a bit boring and blocky compared to the newer stuff, but that's the charm. The chunky Okawara art is still Gundam to me.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I wanted more of Zeta/ZZ/Post Zeta Zeon-type suits in proper 1/100 scale, though. Master Grade would be preferable, of course, but the RE/100 line is doing great. Just wish there was more of it. Really looking forward to building the Hamma-Hamma eventually.

muteki

I love the idea behind RE/100 and it including kits we either haven't got in 1/100 before or for forever. That leaves a lot of interesting stuff to choose from. Probably will get a Hamma to go with the new ZZ soon.

Was pretty in for the MG ZZ but remembered it transformed,.. And is the old style of 3 little parts combining. Think imma pass and continue to hope they rework it into a MG OR 1/100 Tryon-3.

Either way started my Providence, got the torso and head done before taking off to Hokkaido for a week. Really wish gunpla tools were allowed on the plane haha, this 4 hours in the airport is gonna be boring.

Paltheos

Alright, I've made the plunge. Re-issues for the P-Bandai PG Unicorn stuff came up for pre-order on samueldecal and genteikits, and I promptly put down $275 for the PG Unicorn Final Battle ver. (standard Unicorn with green psychoframe and 3 shields+gatling guns). Shipping will probably be another $100 on top of it and I'll need to put another $100+ down for the LEDs, but I'll be damned if that glowing, green psychoframe won't be worth it. The real question will be about whether or not to recolor the white armor.

That MB 00 Qan[T] can convert to Quantum Burst mode, including the chest piece coming out.

It looks so good, a shame the price tag doesn't look as good.

Mmmm, blue cheese. I see you're a person of culture, as well.

I'm actually a cheesemonger as my "job". That chunk is special because it's a wedge from Ferndale, WA. Shop that I work in is here in CA, though the owner was stubbornly avoiding WA cheeses until FINALLY one day he picked out that Twin Sisters Creamery that's in the photo. Think he did it on purpose... Goddamn Italians can be stubborn as... but I digress.

Gunpla has been such a stress reliever for me lately. I just start filing and listening/watching the Dodgers. Extremely lovely evenings recently!

Dragoshi1

Built Chinaguy, was fun! She comes with an absolute load of eye stickers though. And her helmet doesn't stay locked on her head, it wobbles a bit. Luckily, it comes off and she's got two different hairbands to wear too, two pairs of glasses too.

The little munchkins there are part of the Desktop Army series, tiny girls with mini-model kit builds, consisting of weapons and armors. I have the dragoon alpha series of them, I need the Beta series to have them all from Dragoon.

(I also put preorders down on the new Super Fumina and Gyanko kits, can't wait for those! I already have the first Super Fumina, and she pales in comparison to these newer girl builds)

Boogiepop

So, just wanted to jump in here and ask: I'm starting to dig into Gundam proper for the first time, and my focus is of course on the various anime and OVAs and movies and the like, but I did get to wondering... what out of the many manga/novel series are actually worth looking into (outside of The Origin, as I already have that, just haven't read it yet)? (And doesn't matter if it's been licensed for English or not, I can read Japanese so I can import).

RangerBAD

So, just wanted to jump in here and ask: I'm starting to dig into Gundam proper for the first time, and my focus is of course on the various anime and OVAs and movies and the like, but I did get to wondering... what out of the many manga/novel series are actually worth looking into (outside of The Origin, as I already have that, just haven't read it yet)? (And doesn't matter if it's been licensed for English or not, I can read Japanese so I can import).

Crossbone Gundam.

Although I said I didn't care for the OYW suits I bought my first MG gunpla...Char's Zaku 2.0 lol

Saw Amazon had it for cheaper and a better selection, but I wanted to support a local business instead.

Anyone here build it before? I hope I'm not in over my head for a first mg build.

yami4ct

The couple manga I really like are Crossbone Gundam (original, go ahead and skip the sequels. They're bad) and Gundam Wing Glory of the Losers which is an Origin style retelling of Wing and quite good, even as someone who hates wing.

Although I said I didn't care for the OYW suits I bought my first MG gunpla...Char's Zaku 2.0 lol

Saw Amazon had it for cheaper and a better selection, but I wanted to support a local business instead.

Anyone here build it before? I hope I'm not in over my head for a first mg build.

I haven't built it myself, but I've seen numerous builds of it. The 2.0 Zaku is a good starter MG. Looks nice just out of box and is decently simple, but still seems fun. Just be careful with the power cables as it's easy to lose all those little plastic beads that make them off and I think take time with the headfin. I believe that fin can have a nasty nub mark if you aren't a tad bit aware with it. Other than that have fun. Here's a reddit post that might help with the cables https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/comments/5mk9pr/wip_mg_zaku_20_cable_tips/

For side story manga there's Thunderbolt, We're Federation Hooligans!!, Katana, The Plot to Assassinate Gihren, and École du Ciel

0083 Rebellion is a retelling of 0083 Stardust Memory with some interesting story and mechanical additions

Beltorchika's Children is a slightly different take on the events of Char's Counterattack and has the Hi-Nu Gundam and Nightingale. It is available as both a novel and manga. I've heard some good things about High Streamer which was Tominio's original novel that would eventually get adapted into CCA

Endless Waltz: The Glory of the Losers is an Origin-esque retelling of Gundam Wing with Katoki designs

yami4ct

I'm really interested to hear how they do the front skirt armor for the RG Unicorn. To my mind, that is the only super fragile part of the transformation. If it's a peg and slot like the MG, that thing is gonna basically be glass. If it's a clip like the PG that should actually work decently well

EDIT: Well, HS has the manual scans up. Looks like it's a slotted track. Interesting. Curious to see how it holds up. Overall, I don't expect this thing to be as fragile as people like to joke. Just going over it, the RG zeta still seems to have the most frail RG award on lock.

EDIT: Well, HS has the manual scans up. Looks like it's a slotted track. Interesting. Curious to see how it holds up. Overall, I don't expect this thing to be as fragile as people like to joke. Just going over it, the RG zeta still seems to have the most frail RG award on lock.

Was I seeing things or did it point out alot of undergates?

Incoming Phenex boyz

yami4ct

Was I seeing things or did it point out alot of undergates?

Incoming Phenex boyz
I didn't look for that but would not shock me. It'd be worth doing just in case they ever wanted to make a phenex. And yeah, they're gonna milk the shit out of the mold. It's clearly an expensive one to engineer so they're of course gonna try and recoup all over. We'll 100% see a banshee. I'm hoping Norn is retail and the kind of silly basic parts are p Bandai add ons. I expect we'll see a FA as long as the RG joints can hold it. Wouldn't surprise me if that is retail too, but easily could be p Bandai. And then of course we'll see green frame versions of both main suit and likely a phenex as well.

Top Bottom