• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel 2 - answers are coming Oct 4th

Kevyt

I ordered mine on the conference day and still not yet shipped! How are some people getting theirs shipped? I guess it depends on your location?

i haven't received a shipped notice but i paid for the express shipping and have a delivery date of 19-20. I'm going on vacation this sunday and this shit is giving me anxiety

and any good cases? i haven't put a case on my phones since my first smartphone 7 years ago. i dunno whats good

Was this ever in doubt? The pixel last year was the same despite all the doom and gloom the android thread constantly talks about. It's not a huge seller but it's easily without a question, the best Android device and that's a fact 💅🏾

It's remains unbothered. No headphone jack and all lol

andthebeatgoeson

Did anyone who ordered a Pixel 2 XL get their shipping confirmation or is it just the standard Pixel 2 getting shipped out?
Got mine. Will be here on Thursday. But i ordered the black because no really blue was available and panda looks tacky. I ordered quickly the day of the conference (got my notification email at 1:32pm) and got the less attractive version (allegedly) but I'll be excited to open it up on Thursday.

Got mine. Will be here on Thursday. But i ordered the black because no really blue was available and panda looks tacky. I ordered quickly the day of the conference (got my notification email at 1:32pm) and got the less attractive version (allegedly) but I'll be excited to open it up on Thursday.

Mine gets here tomorrow. Working from home so I can sign for it

Mrbob

Was this ever in doubt? The pixel last year was the same despite all the doom and gloom the android thread constantly talks about. It's not a huge seller but it's easily without a question, the best Android device and that's a fact 💅🏾

It's remains unbothered. No headphone jack and all lol

It's also one of the few phones that works on Project Fi and I pay like 25 to 30 dollars a month for service. Stock Android plus low monthly recurring fees to use phone and I'll be staying with Google line of phones for a long time.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Shipped! Both the Pixel 2 and the carbon fabric case are arriving on Friday. I can't wait!

Can you post an impression of the fabric case here? I am still hesitating to pull the trigger on that one, since I feel the fabric one might be too large.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I expected nothing less from the reviews. I wish I could just sell my S8+ and get this.
But I don't feel like wasting money atm. I got my S8+ for like $550. But I am genuinely excited for the future of this brand. They really going head to head with iPhone with their custom SOC for camera and neat AI features, this is exactly what most of the android fans want. Best version of Android on highend device from Google themselves.

Charcoal

So some of you may recognize my name from the iPhone X thread, but I did a complete 180 and ordered a 2 XL. After living with a OnePlus 3T and then switching back to a 5S, I just couldn't readjust to Apple's constricting ecosystem.

My house is all Google, so I'm super excited to get my new phone next Wednesday.

manakel

After watching review videos all day long, I think I'm going to go to Verizon tomorrow and play with a Pixel 2 XL. I have an iPhone 7 Plus now, and I'm so tempted to switch to this phone (especially after seeing camera comparison videos with the iPhone 8 Plus).

Waaait how are people getting their Pixels already?! I ordered before the conference was even over and it's not shipping til Nov 15th! Is it because I went with the Oreo one? Or is there a chance it'll ship before the stated ship date?

Kevyt

In fact, less than a day before our review was set to publish, Google dropped major hardware news on us. The Pixel 2 has two SoCs. There's the expected Qualcomm Snapdragon 835, but the Pixel 2 also hides a custom Google-designed SoC called the "Pixel Visual Core." While currently dormant, the SoC packs in eight Google-designed Image Processing Units (IPUs) that will eventually enable the Pixel 2 to process photos faster and more efficiently than ever.

thisisntevenmyfinalform.jpg

Part of me screamed on the inside when I read this on arstechnica.

andthebeatgoeson

Waaait how are people getting their Pixels already?! I ordered before the conference was even over and it's not shipping til Nov 15th! Is it because I went with the Oreo one? Or is there a chance it'll ship before the stated ship date?
Panda is the worse pixel
thisisntevenmyfinalform.jpg

Part of me screamed on the inside when I read this on arstechnica.

Yup, Engadget states the same:

There's actually a new image-processing chip baked into the Pixel 2s -- the Pixel Visual Core -- that Google hasn't activated and didn't tell anyone about. It's an octa-core processor Google designed itself that delivers additional horsepower for imaging and HDR processing. Google says it'll push an update in the coming weeks to fire it up. That Google designed its own mobile chip is surprising enough; even more impressive is that every test photo I've taken that used HDR+ hasn't even touched that extra chipset yet. More important, Google says that third-party camera apps will also be able to shoot with the Pixel 2's HDR+ mode when it activates the chipset in the coming weeks. The ability to shoot improved photos from right inside an app like Instagram is a very strong (not to mention surprising) reason to pick a Pixel over the competition.

Possible to improve the camera? If they keep giving good prices on used phones, i may yearly update.

-GOUKI-

They need to fix the appalling video quality of this phone. Pixel first gen also had this issue as well.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/WqpaMjJ81lc;context-place=topicsearchin/phone-by-google/video$20quality

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Any recommendations for a case? I ordered a white Pixel 2 that won't be arriving for a few weeks, so I have some time to pick one out.

Skux

Reviews are good but it's not a home run. For the price of entry you should be getting the best of hardware and software.

Between this and the LG V30 screen quality I might as well just hold on to my Nexus 5x for another year or until it bootloops...

Kevyt

Yup, Engadget states the same:

Possible to improve the camera? If they keep giving good prices on used phones, i may yearly update.

More than likely. I'm also wondering if this could enable 4k 60 fps recording, though I highly doubt it. Hmm... It seems strange google made its own custom CPU for the camera but didn't talk about it during the conference and isn't enabled yet.

Any recommendations for a case? I ordered a white Pixel 2 that won't be arriving for a few weeks, so I have some time to pick one out.

I would highly recommend this Spigen case because it isn't as expensive as the ones from the google store: http://a.co/2HuL43A

However, I'm getting a wallet case until the one a gaffer linked here comes back in stock: http://a.co/i7Ml11q

I will also get a clear case only because I got a really cool d-brand skin for my pixel:
http://a.co/1molkcx

However if I had to choose one it would be the spigen one. I just can't see myself paying 50+ for a google case unless it's the leather wallet case.

It's also super solid, loved spigen. Got one for my nexus 6p and it was a solid case.

They need to fix the appalling video quality of this phone. Pixel first gen also had this issue as well.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/WqpaMjJ81lc;context-place=topicsearchin/phone-by-google/video$20quality

Most reviews are saying the video quality is really good?

Just got confirmation of my Pixel 2 delivery tomorrow, woohoo! I was a bit worried as i had to cancel then re-order so that EE could apply my discount code but it all seems to be turning out fine. Now i just need to find a case and i'm set, first new phone in nearly 4 years so i'm quite looking forward to it :)

casnix

Can you post an impression of the fabric case here? I am still hesitating to pull the trigger on that one, since I feel the fabric one might be too large.
Yeah, looks like I won't be getting my case until this Monday now for some reason. My phone is still on track for today by the end of the day though.

Just had my Pixel 2 show up at work (for testing/demo purposes) and I gotta say, between the hardware and Android 8 I am very much considering going back to Android.

andthebeatgoeson

Got mine yesterday. Just set it up due to work.

The screen tint is noticable. Mostly on white backgrounds.

I got the black xl. Looks nice. I keep picking it up and not knowing which side is which or having to turn it around. It's weird. I haven't picked up the tactile cues.

It's the first time a transfer remembered my app positions, the number of pages i have, etc. It seems without a hitch but i came from the pixel 1 XL.

Google should have anticipated selling the clear case earlier. I hope i don't drop this thing in a week.

They still don't have their screen protector available.

Jeffrey

Do any retail have the pixel cases? Curious but don't wanna go through the hassle of returning through mail if I don't like.

Having lived with this thing for 24 hours now, I love everything about it except the blue tint. It's less noticeable in bright lighting and on nonwhite backgrounds, but oh boy is it noticeable.

I guess the hardware is disappointingly "standard" otherwise, but it really does feel like a "smart" phone in a way others do not. There are just so many nice touches to how it works and how you interact with it.

I would say the Pixel 2 XL would currently be hands-down the best Android phone if it wasn't for the blemish that is the screen issue. Th screen issue does put it on a level where it has competition IMO. I tried it at the store the other day and everything about the phone feels fantastic aside from the muted colors and the viewing angles.

Unfortunately TMobile doesnt offer this on JOD or else I'd consider jumping from my current Note 8, although my Note is still great.

fauxtrot

Banned
Just got my Pixel 2 (non-XL because I dislike big phones and have no issue w/ the fat bezels)... I'm kinda bummed that the Google brand woven case is more slick than I expected. I was hoping the texture would have a bit more grip.

Can anyone recommend some inexpensive (but not terrible quality) USB-C cables? I am pretty surprised how short the one is that came with the phone and the fact that it is USB-C on both sides, basically rendering the cable useless to me unless I want to specifically plug it in to that wall charger.

I'm also looking for a quality glass screen protector, since the Verizon brand one I got is already coming up around the edges after a day...

TyrantII

Pixel 2 Durability Test! - Scratch and BEND tested

Not really that impressed for the highest end Android (it should be leading the pack), they really messed up with the location of the antenna line as it didn't take much to put a break in the side - also colour (from denim etc) can transfer to the plastic coating (and this is actually listed in the spec sheet).

Yeah. No one else is worried about this?

That looks pretty easy to damage your phone if it's in a pocket and you put pressure on it just right.

REV 09

The fabric cases are gorgeous. My wife has the lighter one with her kinda blue pixel 2 and it looks awesome. I have the charcoal color with my black XL and it's gorgeous too. They fit snugly and don't interrupt the squeeze feature. I'm a little worried about accidentally getting them wet, but i guess that would be my fault. They seem very well made.

LogicStep

The fabric cases are gorgeous. My wife has the lighter one with her kinda blue pixel 2 and it looks awesome. I have the charcoal color with my black XL and it's gorgeous too. They fit snugly and don't interrupt the squeeze feature. I'm a little worried about accidentally getting them wet, but i guess that would be my fault. They seem very well made.
Got any pics? How do you feel about it getting dirty from just handling it overtime?

REV 09

Do any retail have the pixel cases? Curious but don't wanna go through the hassle of returning through mail if I don't like.
Verizon had quite a few. I got mine there.

Got any pics? How do you feel about it getting dirty from just handling it overtime?
sorry no pics right now. I don't think dirt or wear and tear would be too bad. The fibers are tightly woven so i don't see them fraying or wearing down easily. Spilling a colorful liquid would probably not go well...it is fabric after all. We've both been complemented on the cases...it's the first thing people notice.

Top Bottom