• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

I doubt it, what phone would it come in? I guess I wouldn't be TOO surprised if the iPhone 5 goes with a dual core A15.

I almost would be willing to bet it will. I definitely think the iP5 will be the first. A15 dual core phone. And following that phones from other manu's based on it. MS could time their flagship W8 phones on that. Have them come out and be some of the fastest phones on the market.

PG2G

I almost would be willing to bet it will. I definitely think the iP5 will be the first. A15 dual core phone. And following that phones from other manu's based on it. MS could time their flagship W8 phones on that. Have them come out and be some of the fastest phones on the market.

Qualcomm's Krait/S4 is already A15-like, which is what we'll be getting. I expect Samsung to stick with whatever is in the Galaxy S III until the Galaxy S IV next year. NVIDIA will probably release Tegra 4 early 2013, no idea about T.I.

ChanHuk

Banned
I doubt it, what phone would it come in? I guess I wouldn't be TOO surprised if the iPhone 5 goes with a dual core A15.

Something tells me the iPhone 5 will get the A5x like in the new iPad. It'll just need extra graphics power to larger "retina" display. Then again the A5 is no slouch since iOS is very efficient.

Back on my 4S and noticed how much faster Safari is compared to IE. It's like, LTE never existed.

jedimike

So what are your impressions of the OS so far?

I appreciate the cohesiveness of it and it really does live up to the promise of getting you in and out of the phone much quicker. I have some issues with the browser like resizing the text to fit the screen. Overall, I think it is the best OS on the market. But there are a lot of improvements that can be made. We all know it needs more quality apps and MS should find ways to get developers to make sure the apps on Win phone are up to the quality of other OS's... For example Pulse on android seems two versions ahead of Pulse on Win phone.

I also am a Zune subscriber and have 3 zunes in my family. I bought 3 phones to replace the zunes but can only have one phone on my Zune subscription... So I am a bit pissed a out that. Especially when there isn't Pandora to fill the gap.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My wife can't download Zune pass music on her phone like I can, but she can play any Zune DRM song on her phone once its synced. So she just dloads songs from the marketplace using Zune pass and then syncs them to her phone. But yeah, it would be better if we both had the full Zune Pass privileges.

Also, Samsung just showed what their windows phone 8 will generally look like this fall. Yawn, another all glossy plastic phone and they are still falling behind in camera tech. Good thing HTC has stepped up their game and we have Nokia now, I'm not buying another Samsung phone until they start giving a shit again about design and camera.

hwalker84

My wife can't download Zune pass music on her phone like I can, but she can play any Zune DRM song on her phone once its synced. So she just dloads songs from the marketplace using Zune pass and then syncs them to her phone. But yeah, it would be better if we both had the full Zune Pass privileges.

Also, Samsung just showed what their windows phone 8 will generally look like this fall. Yawn, another all glossy plastic phone and they are still falling behind in camera tech. Good thing HTC has stepped up their game and we have Nokia now, I'm not buying another Samsung phone until they start giving a shit again about design and camera.

Yeah the Samsung GS3 doesn't look great at all from a design standpoint. I absolutely cannot wait to see what HTC and Nokia do with WP8 later this year.

Boston next city to get a Microsoft Store, probably going to have one in every major metro area by the time W8/WP8 hits.

Combined with the 360 rumor which would draw traffic, these stores could be a big difference maker in helping WP8 get off to a good start

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I appreciate the cohesiveness of it and it really does live up to the promise of getting you in and out of the phone much quicker. I have some issues with the browser like resizing the text to fit the screen. Overall, I think it is the best OS on the market. But there are a lot of improvements that can be made. We all know it needs more quality apps and MS should find ways to get developers to make sure the apps on Win phone are up to the quality of other OS's... For example Pulse on android seems two versions ahead of Pulse on Win phone.

I also am a Zune subscriber and have 3 zunes in my family. I bought 3 phones to replace the zunes but can only have one phone on my Zune subscription... So I am a bit pissed a out that. Especially when there isn't Pandora to fill the gap.

Last.FM... It's free on WP unlike Android or iOS cause MS paid for it...

You get free artist radio so it's basically like a free Pandora but without commercials.

So about a week and a half ago I cracked the screen on my Arrive pretty bad. It still worked but obviously didn't look good. I got a new digitizer and my boyfriend installed it last night. Fairly complicated and delicate work. Got it all back together and the screen does not work properly. The bottom third works fairly ok, the middle portion works some of the time and the top portion works almost none of the time. Did we screw up the installation or is it a bad digitizer? Thinking of trying again since its only around $20 for the screen or other option is to buy a new (or used) Arrive. Or go back to an old android phone we have laying around but I know I would really really miss wp7. Any advice?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
So about a week and a half ago I cracked the screen on my Arrive pretty bad. It still worked but obviously didn't look good. I got a new digitizer and my boyfriend installed it last night. Fairly complicated and delicate work. Got it all back together and the screen does not work properly. The bottom third works fairly ok, the middle portion works some of the time and the top portion works almost none of the time. Did we screw up the installation or is it a bad digitizer? Thinking of trying again since its only around $20 for the screen or other option is to buy a new (or used) Arrive. Or go back to an old android phone we have laying around but I know I would really really miss wp7. Any advice?
I don't have any experience with screen replacements. But did you check the user reviews on the site/if they had any.

venne

Nokia sources their screens from Samsung and that's all I really want from the company.

It's funny, because the Omnia 7 had a great design and a pretty good camera as well, iirc. I'd still buy it if it had a pentile free screen.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Question about Zune Pass - Can I download songs using my WP7.5 phone with ten monthly song credits (thereby bypassing PC)?

A couple things:

1. If you don't yet have ZunePass, you won't have the ability to add a plan with free song downloads anymore, that's been taken away in favor of cheaper plans.

2. I can't actually remember if you could spend your credits on the phone itself. I no longer have the 10 credit plan, so my only options are download and buy. I remember trying to use my song credits on the phone last year, but I don't think I was successful, hopefully someone else chimes in that still has the 10 credit plan.

It's funny, because the Omnia 7 had a great design and a pretty good camera as well, iirc. I'd still buy it if it had a pentile free screen.

I had a Focus and I can honestly say pentile didn't bug me at the time, but its one of those things that everyone made a big deal about, then I could see it all the time, and now that I have a pentile-free screen, I don't want to go back to pentile ever. The Super Amoled Plus screens are gorgeous, but I'm going to assume Samsung is having trouble manufacturing them at high resolutions. Either way, when its time for me to get a new phone, I'm going to have some awesome options, Galaxy S3 just won't be one of them.

Firestorm

Anyone have some data saving tips? Thinking of grabbing a Vodafone SIM card and using it to roam on their 25MB a day thing (10 GBP a month) while in Europe. That way I can use it for Facebook messages / WhatsApp or something with people I need to meet up with. Just don't want my data sucked out by anything heavy that might be in the background.

I do like have FB Chat and MSN on normally but don't think that's probably a huge data hog?

Oh and Bing Maps pulls from data right? Can't be accessed offline?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
With the WP dev event in June, what are the odds that MS might have some phone reveals at the E3 presser, which is also in June. It is called entertainment evolved.

Regarding pentile screens, I never really noticed it on the Focus, but I definitely prefer the screen on my 900.

jagowar

With the WP dev event in June, what are the odds that MS might have some phone reveals at the E3 presser, which is also in June. It is called entertainment evolved.

They might show a little of the Apollo integration but only as a sidebar to windows 8 (which I there is a chance the windows 8 gets some demo time at their e3 conference.... windows 8 is a MUCH bigger deal for ms than windows phone). I really expect them to "announce" the xbox functionality in windows 8 at e3.... we really have not seen much from the games hub in the current preview and that is right around the time the new version will hit.

Question about Zune Pass - Can I download songs using my WP7.5 phone with ten monthly song credits (thereby bypassing PC)?

I can use my credits on the phone... when you try to purchase a song it asks if you want to use a credit to buy when it detects you have them available. That said VanMardigan is right in that unless you have an existing zunepass you can't get the ones with song credits anymore. My zunepass is up next month and I think I am going to drop to monthly on the new 9.99 plan.... you think you would really use those credits but I found that most months I forgot to use them (with a zunepass you really don't need to keep music). I am also very interested to see what the new xbox music service will end up being and how it compared to zunepass.... that one to me is very interesting as it will be a multiplatform play which is one of the big flaws of zunepass.

With the WP dev event in June, what are the odds that MS might have some phone reveals at the E3 presser, which is also in June.

Odds are zero. I think there could be info on deeper Xbox Live integration between W8/WP8/Xbox 360 but it's not the place to show off phones.

Commodore

Uuh, what do you guys make of this: Is this picture proof that Apollo will run on the Nokia Lumia 900?

Story was updated because it was pointed out the Lumia has no buttons. If this isn't the 900, what...IS...IT? Fake?

i1DA9.jpg

Also, if we're getting a Galaxy S III as rumored later this year as a WP8 device, after getting a look at it. Gotta go with Van, Samsung's hardware design is quickly becoming very bland to me. Plus they keep going cheapy feeling plastic. Tech specs are nice, but the phone doesn't have a soul.

ISzRb.jpg

GCX

Nokia shareholder meeting in Finland was pretty hilarious yesterday. Stephen Elop had to answer like 3 hours to questions like "who are you really working for?" to "are you secretly trying to run for the next prime minister of Canada?" lol

kehs

Banned
Uuh, what do you guys make of this: Is this picture proof that Apollo will run on the Nokia Lumia 900?

Story was updated because it was pointed out the Lumia has no buttons. If this isn't the 900, what...IS...IT? Fake?

i1DA9.jpg

Also, if we're getting a Galaxy S III as rumored later this year as a WP8 device, after getting a look at it. Gotta go with Van, Samsung's hardware design is quickly becoming very bland to me. Plus they keep going cheapy feeling plastic. Tech specs are nice, but the phone doesn't have a soul.

ISzRb.jpg

Windows 8.

Windows 8 on mobile devices.

/prophet

Firestorm

Anyone have some data saving tips? Thinking of grabbing a Vodafone SIM card and using it to roam on their 25MB a day thing (10 GBP a month) while in Europe. That way I can use it for Facebook messages / WhatsApp or something with people I need to meet up with. Just don't want my data sucked out by anything heavy that might be in the background.

I do like have FB Chat and MSN on normally but don't think that's probably a huge data hog?

Oh and Bing Maps pulls from data right? Can't be accessed offline?

^ halp

Also, does anyone else have a bug on their Facebook app where messages have a line break after every word? o.o

NeOak

^ halp

Also, does anyone else have a bug on their Facebook app where messages have a line break after every word? o.o

There are bunch of potential items that can use up data. Here are some tips:

1. Remember that being on WiFi is only as good as when you have your phone unlocked. When you have your phone locked, I believe the WiFi shuts off to conserve power. I believe that any jobs you have going on, such as email checking, will use your cellular connection. If you want, turn your cellular connection off when you're on WiFi. Settings ==> cellular ==> Data connection

2. Take note of the number of email accounts you are checking/syncing and the interval you are checking them. Go to Settings ==> email & accounts ==> click on the email account ==> observe the "Download new content" time interval. You may want to set this to a longer time setting or even manual.

3. Examine the number of Live tiles you have and the push notifications for them. Some of these check for stuff often.

4. Settings ==> feedback, and turn it off. Note though that I believe there is a bug that will cause it to turn on after the phone is powered off, then on.

5. I always close my Internet Explorer tabs. Some sites do a refresh every such and such minute and I am unclear if this runs in the background even when I don't have I.E. open. So I ensure all my tabs are clear.

6. I have noticed a couple of times the phone told me I was connected to my WiFi, but in reality I wasn't. I was clearly getting 3G speeds instead of WiFi. The issue turned out to be my router, but now I always check to see if I am truly on WiFi through a speed test.

I have 2GB on my data plan. I have three email accounts checking every 15 minutes. I probably spend about an hour a day on Facebook. I have two live tiles pushing data every 15 minutes. I send about four pictures were day on text messaging and about 1000 text messages a month. Per month I was using an average of 400 MB of data.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...et-usage/fda46da0-0b70-4c7c-b08e-8f15219433fb

Also

samsung-i667-windows-phone.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/04/samsung-sgh-i667-mandel-windows-phone-surfaces/

Troll

Banned
Anyone remember Nokias greatest design? Even greater than the Ngage?

Nokia-7600-inside-small.jpg

It's the first phone to take your blood sugar!

Look who's mad.

Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP announced a class action lawsuit on behalf of the purchasers of Nokia Corporation that charges Nokia and its directors with direct violations of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. The firm argued that the hastening of Nokia’s debilitating market share is in direct violation of the terms of the Microsoft merger. In addition, the glitches and issues of the Lumia 900, leading to a temporary period of free devices, is costing Nokia money. The group hopes to recover damages on behalf of purchasers of Nokia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom