• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyleoty

Neo Member
I'm not sure why you're asking this here, do you want us to convince you to buy the Mass Effect Trilogy? Because it's nothing like The Last of Us. Sure you could probably spend 100 hours playing all 3 games just once, each games last a good 30 hours at least if you do everything, if you want to spend a long time into a franchise.

Yes in one since that I was reading Mass effect stuff to see if I wanted to get into it. Please tell me more about the play style of ME. Can i get the first one on PS3? Or Should I get it for 360, I have both now. Also If any exclusive PS3 Titles from the past that would be good to sink time into.

Thanks again,

i-Lo

I want bionic powers that breaks glass, bends metal and destroys foundations of buiildings.

I want to wreck shit in ME4. :p

After this there is no excuse (esp. given DICE said the pcs were configured to be like xbone):

battlefield_4_destruction_gif_by_gifsandmore-d6dvuml.gif

Ocellatus

Neo Member
Yes in one since that I was reading Mass effect stuff to see if I wanted to get into it. Please tell me more about the play style of ME. Can i get the first one on PS3? Or Should I get it for 360, I have both now. Also If any exclusive PS3 Titles from the past that would be good to sink time into.

Thanks again,

The trilogy is available on PS3 now. Mass Effect 1 is a 3rd person RPG with Shooter Elements and an awesome story. The other 2 are 3rd person shooters with slight RPG elements. Bioware nails the story telling even if the story itself has a few issues.

Trigger

Thanks again,

It was my intention of game suggestions and me stating I finished TLOU was just an Ice Breaker.

Ah, the way I read it I assumed you wanted games in the same vein as TLOUS.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Thanks again,

That depends. Do you like third person shooters? Do you like games having RPG elements? Do you like sci-fi? Do you like games with memorable and likable characters? If the answer is yes to all of them, you'll probably love these games. The ability to transfer your character from one game to another so that some of your decisions are reflected in the next is nice.(Some might argue that these decisions do not matter though, but that's another story and spoilers are unavoidable). These decisions are made in cutscenes where you are given a choice on how to reply or act. ME2 and ME3 even adds the option to interrupt people in the middle of certain cutscenes.

The first game is an unplayable technical mess apparently on 360. And yes its on PS3, although digital only i heard. And some people have a hard time playing it because the gameplay feels a little outdated and unpolished, but everything else is pretty good. It got the best story, atmosphere and soundtrack of the trilogy.

The other 2 games go more into third person shooters games and sacrificing loot and vehicule exploration though, some people treat these 2 games like pieces of shit for some reason, although i would suggest to just ignore these people and judge these games on your own. It's a very polarizing franchise, especially ME2 and ME3. You either love it or hate it.

Each games also have a choice of 6 classes with different powers and abilities. It's not just point and shoot like other third person shooters. These games are best played when you use both your guns and powers.

Tip : Don't play a Soldier for the love of god! Now, you would really be playing a third person shooters with nothing special.

The trilogy is available on PS3 now. Mass Effect 1 is a 3rd person RPG with Shooter Elements and an awesome story. The other 2 are 3rd person shooters with slight RPG elements. Bioware nails the story telling even if the story itself has a few issues.

ME1 was a TPS just as much as ME2/ME3 were, not just "shooter elements". It just had more customization features.

Patryn

It was my intention of game suggestions and me stating I finished TLOU was just an Ice Breaker.

Mass Effect only somewhat resembles TLoU. They're both third person shooters, to an extent, but there's not really a stealth element to Mass Effect. There's also extensive dialogue options and quite a bit of non-combat exploration and sidequests.

Also, FYI, junior members can't start threads.

ME1 was a TPS just as much as ME2/ME3 were, not just "shooter elements". It just had more customization features.

ME1's combat was a bit more numbers driven that ME2 and ME3, which more relied on player skill for aiming purposes.

pixlexic

Banned
In the end the ME series to me is a lot like dragon age . Some times the story is good , sometimes it is not but the battle system is always fun.

ME1's combat was a bit more numbers driven that ME2 and ME3, which more relied on player skill for aiming purposes.

I guess when you dive deep into the mechanics, but overall the experience was still the same as ME2/ME3. Weapons were numbers driven but to a regular player that difference didn't really show through, at least not on normal difficulty...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

To quote Christina Norman: "Lets take the RPG out of the shooter."

Patryn

I guess when you dive deep into the mechanics, but overall the experience was still the same as ME2/ME3. Weapons were numbers driven but to a regular player that difference didn't really show through, at least not on normal difficulty...

I believe what it came down to in ME1 was that you would always hit within the crosshairs, but the higher your skill, the more likely it was that your shot would hit in the middle.

But it definitely wasn't as number driven as something like Alpha Protocol, however.

Kyleoty

Neo Member
Awesome all who posted a reply for me on the type of game ME is. I appreciate it. I may try ME1 out and see if it will grab me. I do like First, 3rd, SciFi and Small amount of RPG so it sounds like the Trilogy will be right up my ally.

Thanks again. Love this site just want to be able to make my own threads. Im also a big Racing game fan and would like to ask a few questions. Prob is a thread reply number thing to get me in good status to post threads.

I must really be missing out on these games. I tried to play Mass Effect 2 about a year ago. I just wasn't impressed and quit after about two hours. The characters have shit for emotion on their face and they have casual conversations as if there isn't this massive gunfight happening right behind them.

No sense of urgency just breaks the immersion

Patryn

Awesome all who posted a reply for me on the type of game ME is. I appreciate it. I may try ME1 out and see if it will grab me. I do like First, 3rd, SciFi and Small amount of RPG so it sounds like the Trilogy will be right up my ally.

Thanks again. Love this site just want to be able to make my own threads. Im also a big Racing game fan and would like to ask a few questions. Prob is a thread reply number thing to get me in good status to post threads.

I highly, highly advise you to read the forum FAQ.

You'll need to have been a member for at least 3 months and I believe have at least 300 posts (although that may have been raised recently) in order to become a regular member and start threads.

Ocellatus

Neo Member

Most people (Me included) feel that ME1 does not truly engage you until you reach the Citadel. So don't give up on eden prime. First mission is not that awesome.

If you can, get the Platinum Hits version of ME1 on 360. Comes with a bonus disc with a dlc and other cool stuff.

KKRT00

To quote Christina Norman: "Lets take the RPG out of the shooter."

And i hated them for that, because combat and loot, which directly impact characters build, was heavily simplified.
Mass Effect 1 systems werent amazing, but they were more tactical. Fighting Krogan or Geth Destroyers were actually challanging and You had to use skills to take them down.
Also You could build Your characters as tanks or supports in ME 1, when even though class skills were more varied in ME 2 and especially ME 3 [like MP], You couldnt.

I really hated global cooldowns for skills ;\, such a consoled design.

Bisnic

And i hated them for that, because combat and loot, which directly impact characters build, was heavily simplified.
Mass Effect 1 systems werent amazing, but they were more tactical. Fighting Krogan or Geth Destroyers were actually challanging and You had to use skills to take them down.
Also You could build Your characters as tanks or supports in ME 1, when even though class skills more varied in ME 2 and especially ME 3 [like MP], You couldnt.

Meh, not really. I just point and shoot at them and take cover when i take too much damage. Just like i do in ME2 and ME3.

Fighting a Geth Destroyer in ME1 sure isnt more tactical than fighting a Banshee in ME3 where you have to run for your life when she gets too close so she doesnt kill you in one hit, dodging her magic spheres with homing capabilities and not waste your powers on her when she has her shield up since they do nothing.

Meh, not really. I just point and shoot at them and take cover when i take too much damage. Just like i do in ME2 and ME3.

Fighting a Geth Destroyer in ME1 sure isnt more tactical than fighting a Banshee in ME3 where you have to run for your life when she gets too close so she doesnt kill you in one hit, dodging her magic spheres with homing capabilities and not waste your powers on her when she has her shield up since they do nothing.

I think the two most difficult enemies to kill in ME series are the the Praetorians and Banshees. Banshees because they are so damn slim and move unpredictably, Preatorians because they scare me and are massive.

The banshees are cool though - stay close enough so she doesnt teleport and not so close so she doesnt homing sphere you or sync kill.

Hence i play cerberus.

i-Lo

Few interesting things-

Great particle effects:

ibczhCKx4UNqw3.gif

Look at the ground light reflection of the rocket:

iLW9KTfEPucod.gif

Hopefully, we'll see both in next ME.

i-Lo

Just a reminder of how ME(3) was supposed to look like on current gen system but due to IQ and low texture resolution it was more miss than hit. I just we get to see high fidelity paired with consistency next gen so that visions of late current gen can be realized fully:

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Also You could build Your characters as tanks or supports in ME 1, when even though class skills were more varied in ME 2 and especially ME 3 [like MP], You couldnt.

It depends a lot on your class, and chosen build. Playing as an infiltrator in ME1 was hardly tactical, as all you had to do was maximise shot damage and cheese through every encounter. And given I mained infiltrator, the difference between ME1 and the sequels was minor. I also don't think it's fair to write off the ME3 multiplayer, which probably has the most tactical variety of the three games, if just because of a greater pool of powers and class variations.

I think the main thing they were going for by "taking the RPG out of the shooter" is minimising the impact of dice rolls and largely arbitrary spreadsheet values in a system of mechanics that primarily operate on direct player interactivity. Number crunching works a whole lot better in a turn based game because the function of the player is to direct commands, and thus the effectiveness of individual commands and their probability of success relies on values and variables.

So in a twist/player driven combat system I do think dice rolls need to be reigned back as they don't serve much purpose other than to put up walls. But I also think they went too far when it came to stripping everything in the combat of customisation and traditional RPGishness, when I instead would have liked them to keep many of the core ideas and refine them.

Like the armour/weapon/enhancement customisation. I wanted to see that stick around in a significant way (more significant than what we got), but finer tuned for the kind of game Mass Effect is. I maintain that the RPG aspect of loot in Mass Effect 1 is transparent, lazy role playing design and by and large fucking rubbish. Like they took a weapon, made a 100 variations with only a 0.1 stat difference between each, and drip fed you them incrementally over the game. It's super fucking lazy carrot-on-a-stick loot design that has a place in games like Diablo (where loot is the focus of the game), but not in a game like Mass Effect. It's the kind of OCD pandering game design that makes MMORPGs so addictive. "Oh my god this weapon has 0.1 damage increase man this RPG is so deep."

Just a reminder of how ME(3) was supposed to look like on current gen system but due to IQ and low texture resolution it was more miss than hit. I just we get to see high fidelity paired with consistency next gen so that visions of late current gen can be realized fully:

I don't think ME3 on PC looks far off those models, except for maybe texture resolution. Those models are still clearly built with the poly/texture ceiling of current generation console hardware. Next gen Mass Effect should look a lot better still. EG: Buckles, chains, and straps are still all just textures. For ME4, they can be geometry.

ME1 has the foundation of a great RPG... It just fails to execute it properly. Like what was mentioned above, loot and stores were poorly done. Random loot with minor stat differences isn't a really great reward when you probably already have the specter weapons. Wrex's personal quest about the family armor should have given you a unique armor set for Wrex. Instead your lucky to come across Krogan armor by opening random containers. Though I did like how there was side quests for the companions like in KotOR and Dragon Age (ME2's were basically the whole game though). There are some really good minor RPG elements in ME1 that don't get noticed a lot. Changing Garrus to be Paragon or Renegade is well known, but you can actually do it Ashley (make her more tolerable of Aliens) and Kaiden ("Hardening" I guess). I really missed the cohesive worlds too. Noveria, Feors, and the Citadel were great, you didn't load into the shooting part and then never see that part of the world after you were done with it like in the sequels. There's other stuff too, like choosing a class specialization (After reaching a certain level and doing a quest) and XP for killing enemies, which I prefer over the system they used in ME2/3/

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think ME1's RPG elements were perfect, but it did some cool things. I wish they expanded on and fixed them instead of dropping them.

KKRT00

It depends a lot on your class, and chosen build. Playing as an infiltrator in ME1 was hardly tactical, as all you had to do was maximise shot damage and cheese through every encounter. And given I mained infiltrator, the difference between ME1 and the sequels was minor. I also don't think it's fair to write off the ME3 multiplayer, which probably has the most tactical variety of the three games, if just because of a greater pool of powers and class variations..
I'm not writing off ME 3 MP tactical combinations, because i love what they did with skills, but i was talking about character building. You can do much more with one character in ME 1 than You can in next games, because of loot.

They should exploit heat mechanics more, more grenades types, more specialized weapons or modules of weapons for different situations, so before a mission in next Mass Effect You had to prepare. For example collect intel about enemies and their characteristics and get proper equipment and classes for the engagement.
And eliminate global cooldowns, because it limits skill combination design on classes.

Bisnic

I'm not writing off ME 3 MP tactical combinations, because i love what they did with skills, but i was talking about character building. You can do much more with one character in ME 1 than You can in next games, because of loot.

They should exploit heat mechanics more, more grenades types, more specialized weapons or modules of weapons for different situations, so before a mission in next Mass Effect You had to prepare. For example collect intel about enemies and their characteristics and get proper equipment and classes for the engagement.
And eliminate global cooldowns, because it limits skill combination design on classes.

Eliminating global cooldown would mean having to rebalance the whole combat they've made with ME2 and ME3. I played with a ME2 mod on PC that completely removes global cooldown, and it made the game ridiculously easy since powers already have short cooldowns(compared to ME1 20-30 secs cooldowns) to begin with. So you can just spam your powers and the ones from your squadmates without needing to use your guns even once.

Are we talking about ME2 or ME3 Collectors here? They're rather different beasts.

ME2. I don't remember them in ME3. Multiplayer only?

Such bastards. The fact that their attack goes through walls is so... ugh. If you're "in cover" it doesn't hit you, but if you're just sitting behind a wall at exactly the same spot, it does. So dumb.

Eliminating global cooldown would mean having to rebalance the whole combat they've made with ME2 and ME3. I played with a ME2 mod on PC that completely removes global cooldown, and it made the game ridiculously easy since powers already have short cooldowns(compared to ME1 20-30 secs cooldowns) to begin with. So you can just spam your powers and the ones from your squadmates without needing to use your guns even once.

The ME1 system with the long cool-downs meant you would fire off your powers, then switch to gnus until they recharged. The way they did it in ME2/3 means you can use them more or less constantly, which is more interesting.

Bisnic

ME2. I don't remember them in ME3. Multiplayer only?

Such bastards. The fact that their attack goes through walls is so... ugh. If you're "in cover" it doesn't hit you, but if you're just sitting behind a wall at exactly the same spot, it does. So dumb.

Yeah, multiplayer only.

If you think Scions and Praetorians were annoying in ME2, be glad you haven't seen them in ME3. They got different abilities and are more deadly. Scions throws a bunch of grenades at you and they can throw them from VERY far away. Not to mention their cannons that can kill you easily. At least it doesn't go through walls. Well... i think the ME3 Praetorian laser beam does. :p

Jack cw

Yeah, multiplayer only.

If you think Scions and Praetorians were annoying in ME2, be glad you haven't seen them in ME3. They got different abilities and are more deadly.
Really? I played through ME3 on insane as infiltrator and just rushed through those enemies. Kai-Leng was the only "tough" fight.
ME2 had some really difficult parts on any class. I had to try some of them at least 20-30 times...

Yeah, multiplayer only.

If you think Scions and Praetorians were annoying in ME2, be glad you haven't seen them in ME3. They got different abilities and are more deadly. Scions throws a bunch of grenades at you and they can throw them from VERY far away. Not to mention their cannons that can kill you easily. At least it doesn't go through walls. Well... i think the ME3 Praetorian laser beam does. :p

Ugh, fucking scions...

Bisnic

Really? I played through ME3 on insane as infiltrator and just rushed through those enemies. Kai-Leng was the only "tough" fight.
ME2 had some really difficult parts on any class. I had to try some of them at least 20-30 times...

Huh... Collectors weren't in the campaign of ME3. They're multiplayer only as i said. And the multiplayer mode is much harder than the campaign. Especially Platinum where they literally throw every races at you.

Jack cw

Huh... Collectors weren't in the campaign of ME3. They're multiplayer only as i said. And the multiplayer mode is much harder than the campaign. Especially Platinum where they literally throw every races at you.
Didnt read the multiplayer part :D You are right then, ME3 Multiplayer is indeed a challenge.

EatChildren

Yeah, they buffed the Collectors for multi to better challenge four players against the horde, and made it so Harbinger could assume direct control and give them even greater buffs. Possessed scions and praetorians are a nightmare.

But, in turn, Collectors became one of my favourite enemies to fight in the multi.

What is there to look forward too? Bioware butchered this series...I knew I would love this series the minute I saw the X05 reveal trailer and I really loved Knights of the Old Republic. I almost bought a 360 for ME alone, read the prequel novel, built an expensive gaming PC, just so I could play ME without technical hiccups. ME2 was cool, but I didn't like the story in ME3 at all. Will this series be cool without the reapers? There was nothing cool going on in the universe of Mass Effect beside the reaper threat.

Bisnic

Yeah, they buffed the Collectors for multi to better challenge four players against the horde, and made it so Harbinger could assume direct control and give them even greater buffs. Possessed scions and praetorians are a nightmare.

But, in turn, Collectors became one of my favourite enemies to fight in the multi.

Collectors wouldnt be so bad if it wasn't for these damn swarms that disable your powers for like 15 seconds. If that happens while you have Praetorians and Scions after your ass, you better hope you or your teammates have a missile launcher ready.

Seeing Possessed Abominations explode never gets old though. So pretty, and dat explosion sound. Always funny when you kill a teammate by accident because you shot a Possessed Abomination near him.

delleps

Neo Member
I just went and picked up ME1. I've never played it, I jumped in at two, and boy is this tough. It's cool meeting all the characters the first time, and the story is good, but so much is done better in 2 that it's kinda hard to play.

I just went and picked up ME1. I've never played it, I jumped in at two, and boy is this tough. It's cool meeting all the characters the first time, and the story is good, but so much is done better in 2 that it's kinda hard to play.

Yea the first is pretty unoptimized on the technical side, but really if you're into the lore and story and love the characters, you'll absolutely love ME1. I cherish the story, lore and characters more than the gameplay to be honest, so the difference in game mechanics doesn't bother me all that much.

i-Lo

What bothers me most about Mass Effect (and space sci-fi games in general) is the lack of focus on "h+". The vision of the fictitious future is still fundamentally rooted to how we exist today and the values we hold as our own to define us as a species in the 21st century.

This is where CDPR's next project comes in and truth be told, realistically prolonged space travel may necessitate evolution of various embedded tech.

I don't think ME3 on PC looks far off those models, except for maybe texture resolution. Those models are still clearly built with the poly/texture ceiling of current generation console hardware. Next gen Mass Effect should look a lot better still. EG: Buckles, chains, and straps are still all just textures. For ME4, they can be geometry.

Indeed, the textures are the most notable discrepancy.

Also, I still think we will still see a lot of normal map usages instead of geometry for the things you mentioned if the game world is expanded or intricately detailed to the point where something else would have to give.

EDIT: Also, they need to bring back the noise filter.

What is there to look forward too? Bioware butchered this series...I knew I would love this series the minute I saw the X05 reveal trailer and I really loved Knights of the Old Republic. I almost bought a 360 for ME alone, read the prequel novel, built an expensive gaming PC, just so I could play ME without technical hiccups. ME2 was cool, but I didn't like the story in ME3 at all. Will this series be cool without the reapers? There was nothing cool going on in the universe of Mass Effect beside the reaper threat.

What? The Reapers were one of the most boring things about the game. I would love a Mass Effect (or BioWare for that matter) title that would just ignore -insert ancient all powerful enemy here- and went for a political story. Or intrigue in general. For example, there are hundreds of megacorporations in the lore, yet they have never been directly explored in the game. The nearest we came to that was the Shadow Broker storyline, and that one was still very basic, because the main story was more important.

EatChildren

What? The Reapers were one of the most boring things about the game. I would love a Mass Effect (or BioWare for that matter) title that would just ignore -insert ancient all powerful enemy here- and went for a political story. Or intrigue in general. For example, there are hundreds of megacorporations in the lore, yet they have never been directly explored in the game. The nearest we came to that was the Shadow Broker storyline, and that one was still very basic, because the main story was more important.

Any story now will have to deal with these themes, doubly so for games set post-ME3. Assuming BioWare's writers aren't the pinnacle of incompetence, writing in yet another Reaper-like galaxy destroying villain. Like, super Reapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom