• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Heya Gaf,

In the market for some headphones: I'm coming from the initial batch of Beats By Dre Studio headphones - had them for 5 years and surprisingly it still works but its worn out.

Im looking at the B&O H8, H6, or B&W P5 Wireless... what are some good recommendations or experiences?

HiResDes

Heya Gaf,

In the market for some headphones: I'm coming from the initial batch of Beats By Dre Studio headphones - had them for 5 years and surprisingly it still works but its worn out.

Im looking at the B&O H8, H6, or B&W P5 Wireless... what are some good recommendations or experiences?
I'd recommend the Bowers and wilkins p7, V-Moda M100, ADL H118, and the Focal Spirit Classic would be good choices coming from the Beats Studio. I think most wireless active noise cancelling headphones are mediocre sounding. The Beoplay H6 are gonna be so bass light that you'll probably find the sound quality to be quite unexciting coming from the Beats.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, going back to listen to some of my metal albums and the Momentums are not suited for metal at all. Sounds ok, but metal needs the treble to be harsher. Opeth sounds quite lovely on the k551.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
I'd recommend the Bowers and wilkins p7, V-Moda M100, ADL H118, and the Focal Spirit Classic would be good choices coming from the Beats Studio. I think most wireless active noise cancelling headphones are mediocre sounding. The Beoplay H6 are gonna be so bass light that you'll probably find the sound quality to be quite unexciting coming from the Beats.

Great! I'll look into them! I demo'd the H8 at the apple store, they sound great but I've heard issues pertaining to the Bluetooth connect. Plus, they're a bit pricey... By the way, what makes the P7 superior compared to the P5 Wireless/ P5 Series 2?

LegendX48

Hey, just asking again, what are some good headphones within a $100 - $150 range? Looking to replace my Beyerdynamic DTX 350p since the headband broke and would like something similar to their sound.

HiResDes

Hey, just asking again, what are some good headphones within a $100 - $150 range? Looking to replace my Beyerdynamic DTX 350p since the headband broke and would like something similar to their sound.
I think you might like the Creative Aurvana Live 2 or the Beats Solo 2.

HiResDes

Looking into the creative's, a bit weary of seeing that their sound is more V-shaped. Also, wanted to ask one more thing, how are they compared to the V-Moda M80?
The Beyerdynamic are v shaped. M80 are more neural less V-shaped, excellent choice especially because of their durability.

FoxSpirit

Damn this little stack sounds amazing...

DX90 & VorzAmp Pure II+

Thinking of picking a pair of JH Roxanne to go along with this set up. Even though I already got IE800 and SE846's >.<
If the VorzAmp is actually neutral, be aware that it will sound like the O2. Though it is one beautiful piece of engineering. Act according to wallet. If you have, gogogo.
And that IBasso looks mouth-watering, I admit.

But my wallet is currently tightly guarded. I built a small pair of 2-way reference speaker which already got some huge compliments from people with good ears. But... an elite AMT tweeter and a fitting bass will tear a huge hole. In fact, I ponder on settling for an excellent ceramic-compound tweeter, would save me 600 bucks. Decisions, decisions.

Not even feasible to think of a 1k headphone at the moment.

Waikis

dsc_0385ybuv3.jpg

I'm not much of a writer unfortunately, but I can say that the HE1k easily surpasses HD800 and LCD3 imo. I've never liked the audeze's sound as I'm finding it too dark. HD800 on the other hand has that annoying treble spike.

If you are looking for a good middle ground between the HD800 and LCD3 with a good focus on soundstaging, imaging and layering, then HE1K is highly recommended.

dsc_0385ybuv3.jpg

I'm not much of a writer unfortunately, but I can say that the HE1k easily surpasses HD800 and LCD3 imo. I've never liked the audeze's sound as I'm finding it too dark. HD800 on the other hand has that annoying treble spike.

If you are looking for a good middle ground between the HD800 and LCD3 with a good focus on soundstaging, imaging and layering, then HE1K is highly recommended.
What amp were you running?

I'm in NYC right now are these for sale here if you know? $3k?

I hear Hifiman was selling them for closer to $2K actually. My friend was part of a loaner tour and everyone who got a loaner unit could get them with a heavy discount. Might be worth inquiring about depending on how long you're here in the states. You just have to leave a deposit with Hifiman and they ship you the phones I think. The 1K also doesn't really need some crazy amp to drive it. Another friend of mine tried driving it from speaker taps vs. just his O2 and he noted no differencesn

I hear Hifiman was selling them for closer to $2K actually. My friend was part of a loaner tour and everyone who got a loaner unit could get them with a heavy discount. Might be worth inquiring about depending on how long you're here in the states. You just have to leave a deposit with Hifiman and they ship you the phones I think. The 1K also doesn't really need some crazy amp to drive it. Another friend of mine tried driving it from speaker taps vs. just his O2 and he noted no differencesn
I'm in NYC till the 11th. I don't know many shops here so if you know a place I can audition it would be great. I have my ha2 with me and some hi res audio stuff so I'll be able to give it a listen. Just running my travel set at the moment while I'm here (pm3 and ha2)

I'm just as clueless as you in regards to the shops in the area. Try creating a thread in Headfi's General forum asking about headphone shops in NYC and mention that you'd like to audition the 1K. If you like the sound, see if Hifiman still does the discount loaner thing.

Waikis

I sold all of my non-stat gears, so I was running the HE1K through my DP777's output.

Closer to 2k?!?!?!!? where do I sign up? It costs about AU $4000 down here...

I sold all of my non-stat gears, so I was running the HE1K through my DP777's output.

Closer to 2k?!?!?!!? where do I sign up? It costs about AU $4000 down here...

Yeah I was kinda pretty tempted to get a pair for myself but the thing fits me pretty poorly, and I don't really use full sized cans all that much to justify it. And I'm not sure TBH. My friend told me that I could have it for $2,000-ish if I liked it, and when I asked him how, he told me that everyone who got a loaner pair from HifiMan was eligible for a pretty steep discount. It wasn't all that long ago when I met up with him either, so maybe the deal is still valid? I made a post about it like a few pages ago. I'm not sure whether this deal applies overseas though, as he went through HifiMan USA. I could ask him about the details if you want.

Waikis

Yeah I was kinda pretty tempted to get a pair for myself but the thing fits me pretty poorly, and I don't really use full sized cans all that much to justify it. And I'm not sure TBH. My friend told me that I could have it for $2,000-ish if I liked it, and when I asked him how, he told me that everyone who got a loaner pair from HifiMan was eligible for a pretty steep discount. It wasn't all that long ago when I met up with him either, so maybe the deal is still valid? I made a post about it like a few pages ago. I'm not sure whether this deal applies overseas though, as he went through HifiMan USA. I could ask him about the details if you want.

Wouldn't mind grabbing one at that price, let me know if the deal is still valid.

DToneli

Neo Member
Looking into the creative's, a bit weary of seeing that their sound is more V-shaped. Also, wanted to ask one more thing, how are they compared to the V-Moda M80?

Look for Audio Technica M50 and V-Moda LP (150) and LP2 (170) they are an older version of their big brother M-100 (which I own and love). With V-Moda's you can customise the shields(laser engraved or 3D Print)
V-MODA-3D-Printed-Headphones-2.jpg

HiResDes

You have no clue what you're talking about. The M50 are made by a completely different company and don't sound similar at all. The M80 are the older yet smaller sibling to the M100, with the XS being the direct successor of the M80. The LP series sound nothing like the M series, sporting a completely unbalanced sound and bass more akin to the early Beats headphones.

Waikis

Forgot to ask, have you tried listening to Ether as well? I heard the sound is close to HE1k.

DToneli

Neo Member
You have no clue what you're talking about. The M50 are made by a completely different company and don't sound similar at all. The M80 are the older yet smaller sibling to the M100, with the XS being the direct successor of the M80. The LP series sound nothing like the M series, sporting a completely unbalanced sound and bass more akin to the early Beats headphones.

I know, They are made by Audio Technica, I have been a Head-fier for more than a year, so I think I know what I am talking about.

M-80 is more neutral , M100 has more bass , hence LP''s are close to M100.

Duxxy3

I know, They are made by Audio Technica, I have been a Head-fier for more than a year, so I think I know what I am talking about.

I've had a head-fi account for 13 years and I still don't claim to know shit.

HiResDes

LP and LP2 are pretty veiled up top sounding completely different than the somewhat aggressive and bright M100.

Suplexer

I need some secondary headphones to replace my now broken earbuds I use during my commute since there is no way I am taking my HD280s on the bus/train with me.

Lightweight, durable, cheap ($50 max), with a mic.

Any suggestions?

HiResDes

I need some secondary headphones to replace my now broken earbuds I use during my commute since there is no way I am taking my HD280s on the bus/train with me.

Lightweight, durable, cheap ($50 max), with a mic.

Any suggestions?
You specifically want headphones or are in earphones okay?

Willectro

Banned
Pay the extra bit just to be sure and get them from Penon - http://penonaudio.com/xiaomi-piston-3.0

I just broke a set of Klipsch image S4i which I've had for about 2 years or so. I was pretty happy with them as they were fairly comfortable and sounded great listening to anything - rap, metal, electronica, podcasts, etc. I use them mainly on the go and in the office, so I want to avoid any leaking. I'd like to spend under than $100. Are the pistons a good deal or should I spend a bit more and get something better?

HiResDes

I just broke a set of Klipsch image S4i which I've had for about 2 years or so. I was pretty happy with them as they were fairly comfortable and sounded great listening to anything - rap, metal, electronica, podcasts, etc. I use them mainly on the go and in the office, so I want to avoid any leaking. I'd like to spend under than $100. Are the pistons a good deal or should I spend a bit more and get something better?
Maybe the Vsonic VSD5 or if you can't find those the Ostry KC06a.

BeeDog

Is this the topic for asking about in-ear headphones as well? Sorry if not.

I am looking for a good replacement for Audio-Technica ATH-CKS55i, which are pretty much discontinued. I loved the bass in them, while still maintaining decent sound quality at a good price, though they sucked when it comes to longetivity. Another feature I loved about them is that they were not very leaky; I currently have Philips Fidelio S2, and while the sound quality is good, the bass is weak and they leak a lot, which tends to annoy my co-workers.

Can someone here recommend any good substitutes? I pretty much only listen to electronic music (i.e. techno), so bass is the key driver here (though good sound quality is always appreciated). Non-leaky earphones is also a plus. Price range can be ~$100. Thanks in advance.

Pasting from a separate thread --

I'm in the market for new decent headphones or earbuds. Normally I favor the latter form factor as they're easier to carry around and I feel tend to be more immersive; also wearing headphones for a long time makes my ear kind of hurt, but I'd be open to give headphones a try.

This is what I'd be looking for:
-As portable as possible as I'd like to wear them around.
-If possible, that they don't leak a lot of sound (I hate it when people wear super loud headphones).
-Comfy. Comfy.
-Decent design. I've seen some monstrosities around that I could never use.

I was looking into several Bose headphones, as they're famous for their sound, they seem pretty lightweight and have decent, not too flashy design:
-http://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundLink--Ear-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00M58CMYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436349529&sr=8-1&keywords=bose+bluetooth+headphones&pebp=1436349530352&perid=0S4K9Q4MDV45N 7DS3BB0

These seem very similar but in on-ear/around-ear forms. I believe the latter would be more comfy as it wouldn't apply pressure on my ear?
-http://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundLink--Ear-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00M58CMYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436349529&sr=8-1&keywords=bose+bluetooth+headphones&pebp=1436349530352&perid=0S4K9Q4MDV45N 7DS3BB0
-http://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundTrue-Headphones-Around-Ear-Style/dp/B00IUICOR6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436349565&sr=8-1&keywords=bose+around+ear+headphones

Cons of the Bose models are that it seems they don't have much Bass?

In case it helps, this is what I'm using at the moment and I think they sound pretty decent: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/noise-ca...0-ii-precision

Thanks guys!

HiResDes

Is this the topic for asking about in-ear headphones as well? Sorry if not.

I am looking for a good replacement for Audio-Technica ATH-CKS55i, which are pretty much discontinued. I loved the bass in them, while still maintaining decent sound quality at a good price, though they sucked when it comes to longetivity. Another feature I loved about them is that they were not very leaky; I currently have Philips Fidelio S2, and while the sound quality is good, the bass is weak and they leak a lot, which tends to annoy my co-workers.

Can someone here recommend any good substitutes? I pretty much only listen to electronic music (i.e. techno), so bass is the key driver here (though good sound quality is always appreciated). Non-leaky earphones is also a plus. Price range can be ~$100. Thanks in advance.
I don't understand why you wouldn't just get the same earphones if you liked them so much and how you found the bass on the S2 so lacking when it's quite boosted on that earphone. I think you would like the sound signature of the Vsonic VSD5 and the Zero Carbo Basso, but if you're that worried about leakage maybe the ultra sealing Shure SE215 would be a safer bet.

HiResDes

Pasting from a separate thread --

I'm in the market for new decent headphones or earbuds. Normally I favor the latter form factor as they're easier to carry around and I feel tend to be more immersive; also wearing headphones for a long time makes my ear kind of hurt, but I'd be open to give headphones a try.

This is what I'd be looking for:
-As portable as possible as I'd like to wear them around.
-If possible, that they don't leak a lot of sound (I hate it when people wear super loud headphones).
-Comfy. Comfy.
-Decent design. I've seen some monstrosities around that I could never use.

I was looking into several Bose headphones, as they're famous for their sound, they seem pretty lightweight and have decent, not too flashy design:

These seem very similar but in on-ear/around-ear forms. I believe the latter would be more comfy as it wouldn't apply pressure on my ear?
-http://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundTrue-Headphones-Around-Ear-Style/dp/B00IUICOR6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436349565&sr=8-1&keywords=bose+around+ear+headphones

Cons of the Bose models are that it seems they don't have much Bass?

In case it helps, this is what I'm using at the moment and I think they sound pretty decent: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/noise-ca...0-ii-precision

Thanks guys!
If you're a newcomer there's a reason I suggest reading the OP...

Anyway when you say earbuds are talking about earbuds specifically or are in-ears okay?

There's a reason Bose aren't highly regarded in any audiophile community aside from their incredible active noise cancelling technology. Most of them have a large muddy midbass boost, scooped out mids, and either peaky or highly veiled treble. There offerings are all quite comfortable but when it comes to overall sound quality and value they're a fucking joke. Now I'm not sure you're all that concerned about sound quality since it doesn't seem to even be mentioned in your looking for segment and you're into all of these extraneous accessories, characteristics, and features so maybe the headphones you have in mind would be perfect for you. I'm just offering you an explanation on why I don't have recs for you rather than ignoring this type of post like I might have done in the past.

Willectro

Banned
Maybe the Vsonic VSD5 or if you can't find those the Ostry KC06a.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up going to a local audio store and tried the Shure SE215 and Klipsch R6m. Although I thought the Shures sounded a bit better, getting them comfortably in my ears was a challenge each time, so I went with the Klipsch. I really like the bass on the R6's anyways and the fit (for me) feels near custom. Only thing I don't like with the R6's is the cord noise, which seems to be due to the flat cable, but is only an issue at lower volumes.

If you're a newcomer there's a reason I suggest reading the OP...

Anyway when you say earbuds are talking about earbuds specifically or are in-ears okay?

There's a reason Bose aren't highly regarded in any audiophile community aside from their incredible active noise cancelling technology. Most of them have a large muddy midbass boost, scooped out mids, and either peaky or highly veiled treble. There offerings are all quite comfortable but when it comes to overall sound quality and value they're a fucking joke. Now I'm not sure you're all that concerned about sound quality since it doesn't seem to even be mentioned in your looking for segment and you're into all of these extraneous accessories, characteristics, and features so maybe the headphones you have in mind would be perfect for you. I'm just offering you an explanation on why I don't have recs for you rather than ignoring this type of post like I might have done in the past.

Well I assumed the "they must sound good" was a given, though it's true I'm no audiophile. I've checked some of the models recommended in the OP but they seem on the bulky side to me? Not something I would really use on the streets.

BeeDog

I don't understand why you wouldn't just get the same earphones if you liked them so much and how you found the bass on the S2 so lacking when it's quite boosted on that earphone. I think you would like the sound signature of the Vsonic VSD5 and the Zero Carbo Basso, but if you're that worried about leakage maybe the ultra sealing Shure SE215 would be a safer bet.

Because as I initially wrote, they're pretty much discontinued, unless I'm willing to pay like twice the amount compared to when they were readily available. If I do go up to that price range (which is essentially the range I provided in my previous post) I figured I might as well look for more recent models/brands.

Thanks for those suggestions, will check them out!

HiResDes

Because as I initially wrote, they're pretty much discontinued, unless I'm willing to pay like twice the amount compared to when they were readily available. If I do go up to that price range (which is essentially the range I provided in my previous post) I figured I might as well look for more recent models/brands.

Thanks for those suggestions, will check them out!
I'd also add the Ostry KC06a to the rec list.

Well I assumed the "they must sound good" was a given, though it's true I'm no audiophile. I've checked some of the models recommended in the OP but they seem on the bulky side to me? Not something I would really use on the streets.
Firstly, what is your budget?

Then, where will you use these? You mention you don't want leakage so that means closed backed.

Will you be running an amp/dac?

What is your source for this? (hardware)

You gave a lot of information, very little of it relevant.

chaosaeon

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good hard carrying case/shell for travelling. I'd like it to be able to fit any pair I would take, with the biggest possibly being Sony MDR MA900. Are there any under $30 going around ?

My $80 Bose headphones broke, so I went looking for a new pair.

Ended up ordering the Momentums and the Audio Technica ath-mx50s. Thought I'd like the Momentums more, especially b/c they have a microphone feature, but the technica's just sound better. The Momentums just sounded a little washed out - maybe because they weren't totally over the ear like the technica's.

It was a pretty agonizing decision, but I'm glad I went with the ath-mx50s - they're beautiful, sound great, and seem very sturdy.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good hard carrying case/shell for travelling. I'd like it to be able to fit any pair I would take, with the biggest possibly being Sony MDR MA900. Are there any under $30 going around ?
There's loads on amazon. All mine came with a case so I just use them, besides the EL8s which came with a shitty pouch.

chaosaeon

There's loads on amazon. All mine came with a case so I just use them, besides the EL8s which came with a shitty pouch.

I have seen some of the ones on amazon but a lot either have no measurements, or I'm not sure if they'd fit specific dimensions from the pics on the item pages. The Sony set I was talking about have wide rounded cups that might not fit in something that would take a senn598 for example.

Bloodember

I have seen some of the ones on amazon but a lot either have no measurements, or I'm not sure if they'd fit specific dimensions from the pics on the item pages. The Sony set I was talking about have wide rounded cups that might not fit in something that would take a senn598 for example.
Users on head-fi says this will work http://www.amazon.com/Slappa-Sized-HardBody-Headphone-SL-HP-07/dp/B009NE7B06/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1380306177&sr=1-2&keywords=Slappa+case

chaosaeon

Actually while looking at this I saw some related items and came across this one. http://www.amazon.com/Sentey%C2%AE-Universal-Headset-headphones-Carrying-Compartments/dp/B00I4XZ0S2/ref=pd_sim_23_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0RFF1DWR7F43KF1HHHDB
It's a bigger case, higher review rating, and half the cost. Is there something wrong with this one I'm missing or would this do nicely ? Either way, thanks for the link because I'll pick up one of these two cases for sure.

Top Bottom