• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

Chris R

sJohCIC.png

Just Cause 3
Developer: Avalanche Studios
Publisher: Square Enix
Platforms: PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4
Release Date: December 1st 2015 (Steam version unlocks at MIDNIGHT PST)

Just Cause 3 is the latest addition to the Just Cause series, featuring Rico Rodriguez. This game has Rico returning to his home in the Mediterranean set to overthrown the brutal dictator ruling Medici, with chaos and destruction being two of the best methods to oust General Di Ravello? Liberate towns and take over army bases to help the people of Medici!

Gameplay
Rico returns with an updated grappling hook to take down Di Ravello. The new grappling hook allows Rico to tether multiple objects together, their strength being enough to deform and destroy many of the chaos objects in the world. Rico also brings back his parachute from the previous game, with improvements made to stabilize the parachute when Rico is aiming and shooting.

New features to Just Cause 3 include things like Rico's Wingsuit, the Gear Mod and Rebel Drop systems, along with online leader boards. The Wingsuit allows Rico to glide across Medici with ease, and could be the preferred method of transportation when combined with Rico's grappling hook. The Gear Mod allows the player to enable and disable tweaks to the various game systems that can turn a planted explosive into a rocket for a short duration, or make grenades explode on contact for example. The Rebel Drop system is similar to Just Cause 2's Black Market, but delivers whatever vehicle/weapon/ect requested for free on a timed delay until it can be requested again. Online leader boards are also included allowing you to track and compete against others online in a large variety of categories.

Medici
The island of Medici is broken down into three major regions.

• The Insula Fonte region is home to large swaths of farms and flower fields, but is also home to large and small towns, and under the thumb of Di Ravello's troops.
  • The Insula Dracon region contains Medici's vast oil fields, needed to fuel the large Medici army. This region also hosts historic sites containing classical ruins.
  • The Insula Striate region is the largest in Medici and contains vast veins of Bavarium, an ore that Di Ravello hopes will aid in his dreams to dominate the world. The largest mountain in Medici is also found on Insula Striate.
Here is a link I found to a map of Medici

Downloadable Content
There are three downloadable content packs announce for Just Cause 3 at this point. They are Air, Land and Sea. Each pack promises to contain missions, enemies and new/unique gear related to Land, Air, or Sea. All three packs are also available bundled into one expansion pass that also provides an exclusive wingsuit and parachute skins. More info including release dates will come post game launch.

Links
Just Cause 3 Homepage
Giant Bomb's Just Cause 3 Quicklook
NXGamer's Xbox One in game footage
First hour highlights from the PlayStation 4 version from PlayStation Access

PC Requirements
Minimum Specifications
OS: Vista SP2, Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K, 3.3 Ghz | AMD Phenom II X6 1075T 3 Ghz
Memory: 6GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (2GB) | AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB)

Recommended Specifications
OS: Vista SP2, Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB Ram
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (3GB) | AMD R9 290 (4GB)

Also, sorry if this OP sucks, I've never done a game OT before. PM me with things you'd like to see added. I'll throw the Digital Foundry comparison video in when it's out along with some review quips if people want.

Durden77

So fucking psyched. JC2 was some of the most fun I've ever had a with a game.

It's a real shame hearing about the performance issues, but I'm hoping they will be ironed out at launch or soon after.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yo Avalanche please fix the framerate and general performance on consoles. Otherwise this game is going back to the store :(

"Finally, please take any discussions of the technical failings of the game to a different thread."

Why should we? The game is awesome but the performance is a big issue.

Chris R

Yo Avalanche please fix the framerate and general performance on consoles. Otherwise this game is going back to the store :(

"Finally, please take any discussions of the technical failings of the game to a different thread."

Why should we? The game is awesome but the performance is a big issue.

Performance is a big issue, a big enough issue that it could and should be it's own thread.

Hopefully Avalanche fixes the issues, but in the meantime I'd hate for this thread to fill up with technical talk, drowning out any discussion on the content of the game and the things people are doing in it.

hawk2025

Sorry, that's a little crazy.

It's a fundamental part of the game and if it is impacting people's experience, it should not be relegated to other threads. Of course it belongs in the OT -- the last thing we want is for OTs to try and quash critical opinions IMO.

ron_bato

why should this thread not discuss performance issues? People interested in the game and wanting to receive feedback from the OT should be able to read about performance issues here too.

Heck there's even a performance analysis video in the OP.

I myself am holding off until technical issues are sorted out. This does look fun, but I'd rather wait for the issues to be ironed out.

Chris R

why should this thread not discuss performance issues? People interested in the game and wanting to receive feedback from the OT should be able to read about performance issues here too.

Heck there's even a performance analysis video in the OP.

I myself am holding off until technical issues are sorted out. This does look fun, but I'd rather wait for the issues to be ironed out.

Again, I think the performance issues are IMPORTANT enough to deserve their own thread. But I guess I'm in the minority, I'll go and remove that section and let people have at it. Hopefully by the time I get home from work on Tuesday to play the game Avalanche will have a statement out at least acknowledging the issues with a pledge to fix it :(

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I still remember being super psyched for JC2 when it first came out, excited to play the next installment.

ron_bato

Again, I think the performance issues are IMPORTANT enough to deserve their own thread. But I guess I'm in the minority, I'll go and remove that section and let people have at it. Hopefully by the time I get home from work on Tuesday to play the game Avalanche will have a statement out at least acknowledging the issues with a pledge to fix it :(

Sure. It's important enough to have its own thread, but that doesn't mean it can't or shouldnt be discussed in the OT.

If people want to talk about performance, this shouldn't take away from people who want to discuss other aspects of the game.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Still got my order coming, but I'll be too preoccupid with finals to play it day one. Hopefully some patches come to sort out the big issues. It's hard to imagine that things like 3 minute loading times were seen as acceptable by any measure of Q&A testing.

Still very excited for this. Don't care if the story sucks. Don't mind if the vehicle handling isn't up to GTA5's standards so long as it's better than Just Cause 2's. Don't even mind too much if the gunplay isn't great, so long as the tools for creative combat are there.

Already preloaded on steam, waiting for Tuesday to play it. Hope my 670 holds up.

Yeah, same here. The old 670 is still pulling its weight in well-optimised games like Witcher 3, but seeing how badly the game is performing on consoles has me worried.

Chris R

Yeah, same here. The old 670 is still pulling its weight in well-optimised games like Witcher 3, but seeing how badly the game is performing on consoles has me worried.
Hoping my ssd and 16gb of ram take care of any loading issues. Not expecting ultra, just playable at medium at least. Going to upgrade when the next gen of nvidia cards come out next year for sure though.

danowat

Banned
Still got my order coming, but I'll be too preoccupid with finals to play it day one. Hopefully some patches come to sort out the big issues. It's hard to imagine that things like 3 minute loading times were seen as acceptable by any measure of Q&A testing.

Ship it, we'll fix it later.

Got it preloaded on PC. I am gonna play this at 1440p/60+ hopefully. Game looks like a lot of fun. The wingsuit is a great addition.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Review thread is going to be a bloodbath!

Sad too, because it seems like the core game is great fun by all accounts, it's just this awful tech stuff strangling it at every corner. I'm torn between wanting the game to get pounded on for not having that stuff together and so that hopefully they'll be pressed to fix it sooner rather than later, but I also don't want negative reception to kill the series just as it's blooming.

danowat

Banned
Sad too, because it seems like the core game is great fun by all accounts, it's just this awful tech stuff strangling it at every corner. I'm torn between wanting the game to get pounded on for not having this stuff together--and so that hopefully they'll be pressed to fix it sooner rather than later--but I also don't want negative reception to kill the series just as it's blooming.

I guess it will, again like FO4, depend on how sensitive someone is to these technical issues, now everyone wants the best performing game they can get, but if reviewer A has a great time with the game despite the technical issues, should he/she still mark the game down on them?

I'm thinking yes, but it was clear that this didn't happen with many FO4 reviews.

Nokterian

Oh great there following the US time instead of EU because in just 12 hours it is december 1st in the EU and the time on steam is saying 22 hours until it is unlocked. I hate this so much.

Dommel

Oh great there following the US time instead of EU because in just 12 hours it is december 1st in the EU and the time on steam is saying 22 hours until it is unlocked. I hate this so much.

Also doesn't make much sense to me. Australia is not linked to the US unlock time but the EU is?

Rosur

Pre-loaded last night cant wait to play this tomorrow (PC version).
Hoping I can play High/ Ultra at 60fps any idea what sort of PC specs for this, same as Mad Max?

MMaRsu

Banned
Sad too, because it seems like the core game is great fun by all accounts, it's just this awful tech stuff strangling it at every corner. I'm torn between wanting the game to get pounded on for not having thats stuff together and so that hopefully they'll be pressed to fix it sooner rather than later, but I also don't want negative reception to kill the series just as it's blooming.

Ive played over 70hrs of Fo4 and havent seen terrible fps drops constantly when in combat like in Just Cause 3.

Wait quoted the wrong dude damn

flozuki

Review thread is going to be a bloodbath!

Played it, and I like it a lot. But I have a feeling you are right, the technical side is really wonky but I am positive, that they will somehow fix a lot with the upcoming patches. How well were the earlier entries in the series received? Never played them except a demo on Xbox 360.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm interested to see how many people reviewed it on console versus PC. Square-Enix gave us the option, and since I was up to the task I naturally picked PC so I could crank those bells and whistles. I feel in these cases a majority of people will pick console since it's the easiest.

Can we VPN into Australia and unlock early?

JaseC, what say you?

Negative. Local store says it unlocks in 22 hours. Unless that's wrong.

I hope the unlock time gets adjusted but it's probably PST just because that's where Valve is located.

Pre-loaded last night cant wait to play this tomorrow (PC version).
Hoping I can play High/ Ultra at 60fps any idea what sort of PC specs for this, same as Mad Max?

Recommended GPU for Mad Max was a 3GB 760, JC3 has had that bumped up to a 780.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh wait no, reviews dont go up at midnight. Read the embargo wrong. Lucky I double checked!

MaxiLive

Pre-loaded on Steam!

Can't wait until tomorrow after work to get stuck in, looks like there is even more Choas to be had from the few videos I've seen.

Been a good while since I've played Just Cause as well and the perfect game to go to after the dense Fallout 4 story line.

Top Bottom