• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it wrong to get a pet to fight loneliness?

Mesoian

It's fine.

Just make sure your desire to lessen your sense of isolation is stronger than your distaste of picking up shit.

Clean up after your pet.

So many people around here get tiny cat like dogs and just let them run around and shit everywhere...

border

FOSTER FOSTER FOSTER FOSTER

Your local shelters likely have programs where you can take in foster animals for a limited amount of time, then return them. Usually, you will get kittens that are too young to receive spay/neuter surgery. You feed and take care of them for a few weeks until they are old enough to be spayed, then you take them back to the shelter to be adopted by someone else. Less commonly, you can take care of adult cats that have undergone some kind of surgery and need time to heal and recover before they can be adopted.

Not only does this immensely help the shelter by freeing up space in their kennels, but it gives you time to experience owning and caring for an animal. It also lets you take in animals on a trial basis, and see if their personality is a good match for you. If you really like your foster cat, you can always choose to adopt it full time. There's a chance you might be mildly allergic to cats, so it also helps you see if having a cat present in your house persistently will give you sneezes and sniffles.

I am allergic to cats, so I exclusively foster. They don't bother me in limited amounts, but after a cat has been in my house for a few weeks I start to wake up with a stuffy nose every day, and find myself sneezing often. Fostering works out great because by the time my allergies set in, it's time for my kittens to go back and get their forever-home. Work with a No-Kill shelter, because obviously you don't want the pressure of thinking your animal might be euthanized if somebody else doesn't adopted it. Fortunately my entire city is No-Kill, so it's not an issue for me. Kittens are almost inevitably adopted anyway, it's the adult cats who have a hard time finding homes.

FOSTER FOSTER FOSTER FOSTER

fauxtrot

Banned
You sound like a great candidate for a pair of cats. Kittens are work but they're very rewarding, and cats can be home alone much longer than a dog could (12+ hrs alone wouldn't work for a dog's bathroom schedule or attention needs), but a pair of cats that are either kittens or have already bonded will keep each other company while you're working and can do their business in a litter box.

Like someone else said, rescuing adult cats rather than kittens can help you know what you're going to get, personality wise. Pairs are sometimes available from shelters because it's easier to adopt out single cats rather than two that have already bonded.

Expect that some of your stuff will inevitably get scratched, but you can usually find a way to get that to stop by giving them something more preferable to use.

Generally no. As long as you understand that a pet is a lengthy affair. Lonely or not, that cat is going to be there for a good 10-20 years.

Kite

It's a great reason to get a pet, but don't kittens require more time and attention? OP could consider getting an adult or maybe senior cat, they're more stable, their personalities are known and they're pretty ok with being alone while you're at work. Or maybe get two kittens from the same litter so they can keep each other company while you're away.

wedca

Nothing wrong with wanting a pet for companionship.

Being out on a regular basis for 12 hours at a time is certainly something to be concerned about. I'm not sure I'd feel good about leaving a cat or dog alone for that long. Can you get home on lunch breaks? There are some other options to mitigate the issue for dogs, like having a dog walker show up midway through or going to doggie daycare - are there similar options for cats?

Boogie9IGN

I was going through a really rough patch with my gf when I got my dog. He's my best friend and regardless of the reason why I got him, I'm glad every day that I did.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I'm an older guy going back to school and find my place feeling really lonely after a long day of class or clinical. Between friends being married with kids and the oddness that is online dating over 35 I spend a lot of time at home. Now some kittens are going to be available in a few weeks and I was thinking of getting one. I like cats and have owned them before but it was a decade ago. Am I crazy in thinking loneliness is a bad reason to get a pet or is that actually a good reason? Most of my friends get pets to prove they can take care of something before having kids so I guess that's not really any better.

It's perfectly fine. Plenty of research to back it up as being a good thing to boot.

Just don't dress it up and pretend its your kid.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Do it OP. Cats are great. Enjoy school and keep putting yourself out there.

(I'm a "get 2 cats if you're gonna bother with 1" kinda guy but that's all I'll say about that.)

Hastati

Great reason to get a pet! Get more than one! All that matters is that you give them love and care and don't abandon them. Pets are often a mutually dependent relationship (except for terriers and ... Abyssinians) so they are perfect for people who don't like isolaton.

Try to get it from a shelter too, its nice saving a life that may get euthanized otherwise. Dogs are awesome, nothing wrong with getting one as a companion and one thing to remember: while you may love them for 8-15 years, they will love you, unconditionally, for the rest of their life.

typist

It's totally okay to get a pet to fight loneliness. Although the phrasing: "get a pet" is kind of reducing the animal to some kind of object so maybe it would be better to say "find a companion" or something. Only consideration is, if you are lonely, is there someone to take care of the pet when you're busy? If you need to go to work 9-5 or something then don't find a dog unless someone else can keep it company, a cat would be better in that situation as they seem to be more independent and comfortable with solitude

We kept our cat in the bathroom for the first month as a kitten. It was so small I was afraid it would get stuck under the stove or something, or hide under furniture forever. He never had any trouble with it, but he thinks the bathroom is his domain now and must accompany anyone in there.

He's fine with us being gone for long stretches at a time. He usually acts like we're disturbing his slumber when we come home. But it also needs to be counter-balanced with play time.

I will only use wood based cat litter (blue buffalo walnut). I cannot stand the smell of clay litter. It's the masking perfume that gives a house that distinct cat house smell. The litter gets scooped daily or every other day. Once a month the whole thing gets dumped and the box washed out. Keep a little broom and dust pan near the litter box, they always kick some out. I keep a mat just outside the litter box and one more just outside the bathroom door. It usually doesn't get beyond that. But he'll carry food where ever he pleases.

It's hard to tell as a kitten how they'll be, but it's also how you are around them that helps shape their demeanor.

Consider adopting an older cat. Their personalities will be more established; it'll be more clear how good a match they are for you.

This.

Also, an older black cat.

I heard a story a while back that people are still generally superstitious of black cats and thus they tend to be the least adopted. It's a shame.

Novocaine

Nope. I did it and now she's my best friend. Best decision I ever made.

dpQVhU9.jpg

Anticol

Banned
Depends, if it's only one or a few is ok, if you get more than 8 or 10 and avoid contact with other humans could be a signal that something is wrong.

Kadayi

Banned
Don't get just one kitten, get two, that way they've got some companionship when you're not around.

I read "is it wrong to get a pet to fight a lioness" and thought WTF!

OP, especially with cats, you cannot go wrong - they're independent, caring, and love to spend time with you.

I would say get a dog too, but dogs are a little more dependent and you might regret a few stuff.

Nightfall

Imho it's one of the best reasons to get a pet. It'll become your new best friends and you'll both benefit from each others love.

I'd love to get a dog, but since I'm out for about 10 hours a day I couldn't give it half the time and attention it deserved. If I had the time, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

nope. if you're lonely, they can be a lifesaver (for both of you).

They're not a magical cure for loneliness or depression, but they will make you care for something other than yourself, which really, really helps.

As long as you don't neglect it if your loneliness gets filled in another way, like finding a girl or making a new closer friend.

It's not just a tool to fix something.

Matthew23

Depends what you mean by "loneliness" :eek:

I've often thought it wrong to have a child when one finds their life lacking. I don't think the same applies to something that already exists though, especially when there is a chance it will be put down if you don't give it a home.

If I'm a cat I think I would rather have an owner with your mindset over one that didn't give a shit about me.

highrider

Banned
Without my cat Anna, I think my divorce would have been a lot worse. The reasons aren't as important as your capacity to love and care for a pet.

Paracelsus

It's a surrogate, like having kids because you have nothing else going on in your life. To some people it works, to other it doesn't.

Pets are extremely cool and good and you should get one or two or three. I got two cats and they are the best. It owns coming home and having two furry balls being all happy that you are home.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
No, not at all.
They also need you to fight their loneliness and give them a good home.
Pets are awesome. I wish I could have a dog.

Eusis

I'd think if you're rescuing an animal or preventing one from needing to be rescued then if anything it's mutually benefiting you and the pet. So I don't really see any reason not to from a right/wrong perspective. Just make sure you can take care of them.

sirap

No. I've taken in a lot of strays in my home and they're wonderful companions (got 8 males cats now and they're a handful :p). If you're living alone or lonely, having a pet goes a long way in fixing that.

... What reasons do you think people get pets for OP?
My list of reasons people get a pet from best to worse ...

1-Companionship
2-Cat to take care of my mice problem
3-Dog to guard my house (I put this lower as IMO many people who get dogs to guard their homes make them "outside dogs" which is shitty)
-
-
-
-

4-(the worse IMO) A Puppy or Kitten that I don't really want or have time to deal with just for my child too young to take care of shit to play with and push all the care taking on me ... causing unwanted and unneeded stress and resentment/ Something I thought looked cute in passing (a TEA CUP DOG! A PET PIGGY! That lil kitten is sooo cute, gonna post pics of em everyday!) and got as an impulse buy and will likely regret and return-misstreat-give away/ "I think the black doggy goes well with my black sofa!"

Companionship is the BEST reason to get an animal IMO.

Top Bottom