• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions 2 |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads, The Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaCow

What does it mean when people put a # sign in front of certain words or combination of them, like "#yolo" or "#beautifulandlovingit" or something like that? I feel old all of a sudden for not knowing this.

It's a twitter thing. It's used to tag twitter posts so people can filter by different topics.

People just do it outside of twitter because of reasons.

Medical question.

When playing football tonight I came out of challenge worse off. I rolled my ankle, I had to walk about 3 minutes from the pitch and then do about 5 minutes driving until I reached home. My ankle has went up like a balloon. A few hours later and I can't put any weight on it. I didn't want wait in the A&E for a number of hour so have opted to wait until tomorrow and visit the minor injuries clinic.

Anyway, if it was broken, would I have been able to walk on and drive on it? I'm assuming it couldn't be that bad if I was able to.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Blu ray question:

Probably a dumb one, but I got my Spartacus blu ray from netflix and it the picture keeps fucking up like this every 10-20 seconds. I assume it's the disc itself but I've been having other issues and want to make sure it's not my blu ray drive or something. Does this look like a faulty disc?

0OWEPOK.jpg

What's the best/cheapest way to watch Breaking Bad? I see it's on Netflix, if I subscribe for a month I should be able to watch all episodes including the new ones right?

You'll need more than a month to watch all the episodes thus far. It is a lot of television, I think it'll be too exhausting to gorge on 54 or whatever episodes Netflix has in 30 days.

I think I did season 2 to up to 4 and it took a quite bit more than a month, its also not as breakneck as say a GoT, there are a lot of slower sections. But if you are sooo inclined ... you probably can, especially if you want to avoid the spoilers for the final 8. It's just really unhealthy, so just make sure you exercise daily and eat healthily =)

Also I recommend staying off any place on the internet if you want to avoid spoilers. Seriously, this one is going to go out with a huge bang.

Symphonia

Banned
My Facebook profile got reported as fake and as such got deleted permanently. I set a new one up last night and it got taken down within hours. Am I doomed to be without Facebook for life? A lot of my overseas contacts are on there.

Caelus

My Facebook profile got reported as fake and as such got deleted permanently. I set a new one up last night and it got taken down within hours. Am I doomed to be without Facebook for life? A lot of my overseas contacts are on there.

If you tried to make a new one and it got taken down, contact Facebook themselves. Why was it reported fake? Do you know who?

My own question:
I have a Sony VAIO laptop with Intel Core i5 "HD Graphics". There's an option in the graphics settings for refresh rate where the max is 60 hz. I change it to that but everytime I restart my computer it goes back to 40 hz. I tried editing the registry but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Man

Is being Agnostic more scientifically sound/driven than being an Atheist?

Being Agnostic you admit to the fact that you don't have all the answers and that you can't currently prove that there is or isn't a higher power. Ergo, if we somehow managed to prove scientifically without a doubt (I have no idea how one would prove magic though...) that there is a higher power then we as Agnostics would accept it.

Atheists believe that there is no higher power (though this does not exclude superior beings).

Leezard

Is being Agnostic more scientifically sound/driven than being an Atheist?

Being Agnostic you admit to the fact that you don't have all the answers and that you can't currently prove that there is or isn't a higher power. Ergo, if we somehow managed to prove scientifically without a doubt (I have no idea how one would prove magic though...) that there is a higher power then we as Agnostics would accept it.

Atheists believe that there is no higher power (though this does not exclude superior beings).

Nay. Atheism is typically lack of belief in a higher power, not the active disbelief in a higher power (though many people do have an active disbelief). For the agnostic part, take a look at this picture:

joedan

Why do hotels and guest houses seem to have a competition to see who could come up with the most novel interface for the hot and cold water in the shower? Always have to spend 5 mins in there trying to figure out whatever fancy interface they come up with every time.

Anyone ever have a smart-key for their car that kept chewing threw batteries? I've had my '09 Altima for about 9-10 months and have replaced the key battery at least four times. The dealership is not helpful and they are good batteries, not cheap junk ordered off Amazon.

nateeasy

Banned
My 360 hardlocks about 80% of the time when I launch Netflix. Seems to always work if I go in a delete the Netflix app and just redownload it every time I use it. Any tips on fixing this.

Dereck

I got mud all over my couch (not the seat cushions), how do I clean the couch? (It's not a leather couch, corduroy).

The mud has dried already.

linko9

RKyC5JA.png

How does this happen and what is it? I searched for "solid state drive" on Amazon, scrolled down, and this message from the Illuminati was there.

Toppot

How does this happen and what is it? I searched for "solid state drive" on Amazon, scrolled down, and this message from the Illuminati was there.

It seems that your browser has skipped, or on the page has broken, a hidden comment. These are put in by web developers to help them, and anyone else working with the code, in understanding what certain parts do or why they are coded a specific way which might not seem apparent at first as a bit of code is a small part of a larger system (especially on a site like Amazon)

http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/htmlcomments.php

Madrin

On a resume, does it look bad to put just one year for a job's dates of employment? I got a job last year that ended the same year, so I'm not sure whether to list the dates of employment in my work history as "2012-2012" or just "2012." The first one looks weird, but the format would be consistent with the other jobs that all span multiple years in the "year-year" format.

MooMoo

On a resume, does it look bad to put just one year for a job's dates of employment? I got a job last year that ended the same year, so I'm not sure whether to list the dates of employment in my work history as "2012-2012" or just "2012." The first one looks weird, but the format would be consistent with the other jobs that all span multiple years in the "year-year" format.
A good alternative for this would be to use 'Season Year - Season Year' or 'Month Year - Month Year' for all your listings. If I had to choose between your two choices though I would just list 2012, even if it is inconsistent with your formatting.

ChuyMasta

I was about to replace my old mercury thermostat with a cooler controller,

but I ran into this problem:

20130826_220133.jpg

How the hell do I wire this? =/

Colors don't match.

Is the blue supposed to be matched with the yellow on the controller?

What about the other 2 cables.....

And to top it off they are not even the same thickness.... I have a bad feeling about this.

Shags

Banned
Is there anyway I can get glasses lenses put into a brand new frame?

Mine would always pop out because I dropped them all the time and I would just pop them back in (it's a bit of a struggle). I'm not sure what type of frame you have, but if they are like the wires I have then you probably have to adjust the screws or something if they don't already fit.

Dereck

Mine would always pop out because I dropped them all the time and I would just pop them back in (it's a bit of a struggle). I'm not sure what type of frame you have, but if they are like the wires I have then you probably have to adjust the screws or something if they don't already fit.
The frame is bent beyond being adjusted. You can adjust the frame, but then over time it bends back to its irregular shape. I'm trying to find replacement frames without having to get new lenses.

demon

Is it just me or have people fallen in love with the word "trope" lately? I swear I'm seeing people using it a lot more than ever now.

Orthodontist GAF, I wore braces for four years and have been on Invasalign retainers for about two years. Well, I lost my top retainer and the gap in my front teeth started coming back. I fear it'll spread to the point where my new retainer, when I go back in for a new one, won't fit without braces again. To countervail this, I put the small rubber bands that go on braces around my front teeth to retain them and pull them back. So far, they've gone back to their original position... But I fear this will possibly damage my teeth. Is it dangerous to do this until I go get my new retainer?

demon

Question about blu-ray players and audio setup. So I am considering getting a real blu-ray player because I am sick of the bullcrap that I have to put up with playing blu-rays on my computer and the shitty blu-ray playing software that came with it.

I was considering this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...ayer/7830129.p?id=1218861011781&skuId=7830129

My issue is, with my current setup the way it is, I think I'd only be able to get the audio to play through my ultra shitty computer monitor speakers, which is no good. The way my audio is set up is I have two speakers and an old subwoofer, and I connect the subwoofer to the laptop via the red/white (RCA?) connecter on the sub to the headphone jack in my laptop. I can't take the cable I have coming out of the subwoofer and plug it into the Digital Out Coaxial jack in the bluray player, can I? If not do I have any easy/cheap options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom