• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can tell a lot about a person by how they refer to Nintendo's ~La Snesse~ (SNES)

Let's focus on the English speaking part of the world where the system was released under one clear distinct name, or so it would seem.

- "Super Nintendo"

Yr7SiVm.jpg

Easy. It's what it says on the box. It's what everyone you knew called it. Say it in a store and they know exactly what you're talking about. This is the correct way.

- "Super N.E.S."

Look, you're not wrong but this was really only said in TV commercials. I have to imagine that in addition to saying Super N.E.S., you probably also say "Game Paks" and take the requisite 15 minute break for every 1 hour of play as instructed in the manual. Also, I'm just gonna lump in "S.N.E.S." people here as well because I don't hear it very often and compared to the final group in this list, you sound like angels.

-"Sness"

You probably guessed it before clicking on the thread but this is the real reason we're here, to deal with this problem. I want to believe that you weren't alive at the time and so you just don't know any better. Like how you bought a used "VHS Player" to play your "VHS's" and you collect "Vinyls". You weren't around at the time when it was common to hear "Super Nintendo" spoken in public and so when you see the shorthand "SNES" written somewhere it's natural to want to sound it out phonetically and then use it in conversation. Well, you're wrong. Stop doing that.

What I really don't understand are the monsters who, despite being old enough to have been there at the time, continue to propagate this filth. "Sness", "Sness", "Sness". I hear your disgusting voices on podcasts and YouTube videos. I never realized how bad it got until the recent news about the mini Super Nintendo. Where before I could see "SNES" in print and think nothing of it, now I hear your nasally voices every time, "SNESSSSSSSS". I'm going nuts.

If you take anything away from this thread it's to no longer say "Sness" and now, don't even use the shorthand SNES. Just say and write "Super Nintendo".

Thank God the Nintendo 64 doesn't have a horrible sounding acronym.

lt519

In my head I say S.N.E.S. but as a kid I specifically remember calling it Super Nintendo. I can't remember the last time I actually said Super Nintendo out loud.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I grew up always saying it as S-N-E-S or just calling it Super Nintendo to folks who wouldnt know what it stood for. I didn't hear anyone call it the "sness" till like a decade later. Its terrible and it should have been stopped before it spread.

Kouriozan

I always said Sness despite being almost 30 years old, that's how people talked about it, at least where I live in France.

Saying S-N-E-S in French just sounds wrong, sorry.

wonaph

Neo Member
There is a 4th way: se-nes (two syllables)
which for some reason is the way I say it out loud and in my own head.

Pizza

I say S.N.E.S. I call the Nintendo Entertainment System the N.E.S. So saying "Super Nintendo" is meaningless to most my casual gaming friends in 2017.

I call "game paks" cartridges or "games" though

Snes is not correct. Neither is Nes. That's the little boy from earthbound. Imagine a monster trying to pronounce N64 phonetically instead of N. Sixty Four. Gives me nightmares

Gattsu25

Banned
I used to say both Super Nintendo and Super N.E.S. but I defaulted to S.N.E.S.

People who say sness are weird to me.

Top Bottom