• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online gameplay leaked

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Why do these big budget, high-profile MMOs refuse to evolve gameplay all the way into 2013? I look at the video, and I think to myself I never want to play this. I have played shit like this in the past year, and the damn game is free.

That current MMORPGs won't ever look as good as current RPGs.

Age of Conan looked pretty damn good when it came out.

Jira

So is this a sandbox MMO or a theme park one ? Can you walk from one side of the continent to the other without a loading screen in between ? (i'm looking at you...Guild Wars 2...)

Theme park, you can't even exit the first zone unless you do X,Y,Z first. So as much as you dislike GW2 for loading screens, at least the entire game was wide open whenever you wished.

Keep an eye on EQNext if you want a full on sandbox, that's being unveiled on Aug 1st.

putarorex

I know the footage is early beta (or Alpha?) but I'm kinda disappointed. Graphics, combat, and world overall is not so impressive. I was starting to get a bit excited for the game after reading impressions on mmorpg.com.

Perkel

Banned
It's amazing how MMO has basically become a genre. In that I don't think that is what we imagined originally. We imagined it would be a modifier to add onto other genres. Pretty much anything that is considered an RPG has to have the same essential quest design, combat, transportation etc. Is this a net code issue? Have no significant advancements been made in that department for almost 10 years now since WoW? Hell it's been 16 years since Ultima Online.

It is latency problem.

Darryl

Banned
It's amazing how MMO has basically become a genre. In that I don't think that is what we imagined originally. We imagined it would be a modifier to add onto other genres. Pretty much anything that is considered an RPG has to have the same essential quest design, combat, transportation etc. Is this a net code issue? Have no significant advancements been made in that department for almost 10 years now since WoW? Hell it's been 16 years since Ultima Online.

they're huge expensive games so the people doing the funding have to mitigate risk and they do it by pointing to that other successful title and saying we want something like that but leveraging our strengths (with Elder Scrolls, it'll probably be their brand name and home console play). i don't see any technical limitations being the driving factor other than the huge cost. there's been plenty of MMOs that don't fit into these conventions, like Runescape or FFXI.

I must be crazy for thinking this looks pretty good for a MMORPG. If they build on some of the features in the ES series so that they're compatible with online gameplay, then I'm totally in.

I don't think you're crazy. I thought it was kind of fun at PAX, we'll see how things go.

Martian

Why did people want an ES MMO again?
This is what happens, it just doesn't work.

The only interesting part (I think) is that it's the entire continent of Tamriel, although it will probably be dumbed down.

I just hope this doesn't get in the way of a real ES

Blinck

Theme park, you can't even exit the first zone unless you do X,Y,Z first. So as much as you dislike GW2 for loading screens, at least the entire game was wide open whenever you wished.

Keep an eye on EQNext if you want a full on sandbox, that's being unveiled on Aug 1st.

Thanks for the info! Will keep an eye out for EQNext !

Btw, I do dislike GW2 loading screens, but for what it's worth, I really like the game :)

FyreWulff

It's an MMO. MMOs tend to aim for a lower graphics bar to run on more computers and maximize potential players. Plus you have to account for the fact that you want to take those character models, then render hundreds of them (possibly) in an area at once, instead of like.. 10

GenericUser

I just hope the inevitable bombing of this title does not put the future development of single player TES games in danger.

200 - 300 million down the drain might put the company in panic mode.

Sendou

Looks crap but then again isn't that what everyone expected?

I just hope the inevitable bombing of this title does not put the future development of single player TES games in danger.

Of course not. Skyrim was very succesful. This is just one pathetic attempt to ride on that success.

SparkTR

200 - 300 million down the drain might put the company in panic mode.

On the flipside if it's a hit I hope they don't decide TESVI has to have multiplayer features.

pelican

Maybe it's a pre-release build, low-setting, etc.

Of course it is. The game is in Alpha waiting for the closed beta proper to start. Seriously I don't get why people are even commentating on the fidelity of the game during this period of development, especially since we don't know the guy' pc specs.

As for the viability of the game time will tell. It will be interesting to see how Skyrim fans like it considering it is a mmo. I suspect mmo fans may enjoy it more. I think the pvp design is headed by a mythic/doac dude so it may work out ok.

Arken2121

Thank god GW2 exists, it shall save you.

Edit: and to the comment about constant loading screens, the zones in between are fairly large and the world is quite beautiful.

It's an MMO. MMOs tend to aim for a lower graphics bar to run on more computers and maximize potential players. Plus you have to account for the fact that you want to take those character models, then render hundreds of them (possibly) in an area at once, instead of like.. 10

This is what I don't understand about the outcry. I'm not huge into MMOs, but the graphics look about just as good as MMOs look. Was anyone actually expecting Skyrim level of graphical detail?

jersoc

looks what i expected. why is this being created?

mmos these days got to offer something new. theme parks are yawn. the combat also looks pretty bland as well.

pelican

Thanks for the info! Will keep an eye out for EQNext !

Btw, I do dislike GW2 loading screens, but for what it's worth, I really like the game :)

As a mmo fan I have a lot of high hopes for EQnext. EQ2 has a special place in my heart. During its heights the faction based open word pvp was fantastic with proper rivalries, and ad hoc pvp battles. None of this instanced pvp nonsense.

Locke_211

I've never played an MMO before.

Where in the ES world is this set? The deserty country?

And I like the slightly odd rules when making your name - "Must not use the same letter more than twice in a row"

Sethos

Banned
This is what I don't understand about the outcry. I'm not huge into MMOs, but the graphics look about just as good as MMOs look. Was anyone actually expecting Skyrim level of graphical detail?

Because looking good doesn't mean you have to push a billion pixels and have all the latest DirectX 11 effects. Looking good and / or impressive means you have a solid, good looking art style, an animation system that's pleasing on the eyes and an overall atmosphere that captures your attention.

Some generic ass looking world and MMO #3687 that tries that 'realistic' style just doesn't look very appealing. Looks like one of those awful Korean mmos that got a reskin.

This looks well on its way to becoming the "Blank Check" of video games, or at least of MMOs.

Seriously, I googled Bland Movie, and the very first result was the Wikipedia entry for "Blank Check."

Makes me want a single-player Elder Scrolls with all of Tamriel to explore. If I can basically play this game that way... probably not. If nothing else, being an mmo might make it an Elder Scrolls game with a coherent difficulty/loot curve. I'm reaching, I know.

Probably what annoyed me most was 'Skyshards.' What a shitty, generic name for a magic doodad, it could be in any fantasy game ever. I mean, soul gems aren't much better, but at least they're called that because you fucking steal dudes souls and trap them in them.

But hey, you can do crouching eyeball stealth thingie, and run out of stamina every time you run for 5 seconds, sweet Morrowind callback there!

I feel like a game like this might appeal to me more just by being contextualized in a world I know and care about; Azeroth wasn't really a place with any kind of coherent geography or anything until WoW, so again, the whole 'explore all of Tamriel' hook is enough to keep me from dismissing it out of hand.

GrizzNKev

Banned
ahahahahaha

This is a mediocre WoW in a skin cash-in on a popular franchise led by a greedy publisher making terrible decisions.

It doesn't even fucking have Jeremy Soule. The soundtrack is trash. Utter trash. Go watch any of their videos and tell me the music is good.

This game will fail miserably. It will sell ok-ish at launch - less than Tortanic - and go F2P within a year.

Zaventem

Elder_Scrolls.jpg

Looks nothing like an Elder Scrolls game. Maybe they come to their senses and cancel this.. thing.

Good that this is not developed by the actual Elder Scrolls team.

Top Bottom