• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk Ride -- Official Thread

I think it is really unfair that everyone has decided to hate this game without giving it a chance. I had a chance to spend some time with it and really enjoyed it. I think it's a really dynamic way to reinvigorate the storied Tony Hawk franchise, while at the same time broadening its appeal to anyone who has ever wanted to be a skater, or just appreciates skate culture.

I pre-ordered mine at gamestop. They said that they had a ton of pre-orders for the game, and they suggested that people should definitely pre-order their copy if they didn't want to be without the Ride this holiday season as it looks like Activision won't be able to keep up with demand!

You guys should also totally check out DJ Hero, Guitar Hero 5, Band Hero, and Modern Warfare 2 while you're there as well! I was checking those out when I was pre-ordering and they all looked like really awesome games!

daycru

outunderthestars said:
I think it is really unfair that everyone has decided to hate this game without giving it a chance. I had a chance to spend some time with it and really enjoyed it. I think it's a really dynamic way to reinvigorate the storied Tony Hawk franchise, while at the same time broadening its appeal to anyone who has ever wanted to be a skater, or just appreciates skate culture.

I pre-ordered mine at gamestop. They said that they had a ton of pre-orders for the game, and they suggested that people should definitely pre-order their copy if they didn't want to be without the Ride this holiday season as it looks like Activision won't be able to keep up with demand!

You guys should also totally check out DJ Hero, Guitar Hero 5, Band Hero, and Modern Warfare 2 while you're there as well! I was checking those out when I was pre-ordering and they all looked like really awesome games!
Well done :lol

Dead Man

outunderthestars said:

:lol Bolded my favourite bits.

speculawyer said:
I think the appropriate exclamation would be:

Yeeaaaah Boooooiiiii!

I'm leaving that one for the RE: DC official thread.

:]

outunderthestars said:

Outstanding

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
tony-hawk-s-pro-skater-2-52837.378287.jpg

:(

Y2Kev said:
IGN: we can venture a guess that it will be 90/100 and they will be blown away, back to where they were previously blown from
I get the feeling IGN and Activision may have had some sort of falling out, on they last podcast beyond they spent a good deal of time ripping on Activision and their hunger for money, one guy went so far to say that he felt bad buying DJ Hero because it was giving Activision money.

ps. can't wait for Tony Hawk ride, looks awesome. Day 1.

paparazzo

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Being a skateboarder of several years now, I would like for this game to be good, but it won't be. I feel bad for Tony, but at the same time, I want this POS to fail miserably so that Activision either kills the series for good, or does something special with future entries.

Tamanon

Banned
Loved 2, Was alright with Underground, will avoid this like the plague. If I wanted to skateboard on a real board, I'd go outside.

Kevtones

Duckhuntdog said:
You guys know a fledgling studio's future is... riding... on this game?

Who? Buzz Monkey? I've got some friends that work there and they put a lot of thought and hard work into this product (mostly the peripheral). I have no idea if it's any good and I haven't played it but I know they're smart people that deserve better then this shitty thread. Well, keep on trucking internet comedians, may you one day intern for Carlos Mencia.

igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
I get the feeling IGN and Activision may have had some sort of falling out, on they last podcast beyond they spent a good deal of time ripping on Activision and their hunger for money, one guy went so far to say that he felt bad buying DJ Hero because it was giving Activision money.

ps. can't wait for Tony Hawk ride, looks awesome. Day 1.

He's gonna get call from music hub guys asking him to shut the fuck up.

Dead Man

I Push Fat Kids said:
Who? Buzz Monkey? I've got some friends that work there and they put a lot of thought and hard work into this product (mostly the peripheral). I have no idea if it's any good and I haven't played it but I know they're smart people that deserve better then this shitty thread. Well, keep on trucking internet comedians, may you one day intern for Carlos Mencia.
I haven't seen any personal insults at the devs, it's all been direct towards Activision, and the quality of the game itself.

I Push Fat Kids said:

No, Robo Modo.

YagizY

If only they integrated the dj controller and skateboard into one piece of equipment, reducing the amount of plastic devices needed for the game.

Tamanon

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:

Good people work hard on every game.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
B000GA6SUU.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61788297_.jpg
Sequel please.

Also, Tony Hawk's 2X with the THPS3 engine.

If Activision promises me those two things, I'll buy this game.

Chris R

I preferred THPS3 to 3, but just barely. I wouldn't mind having THPS1/2/3 on the THPS 3 game engine with HD graphics and online leaderboards (maybe even some online play, but that would be the last priority).

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
cuyahoga said:
B000GA6SUU.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61788297_.jpg
Sequel please.

Also, Tony Hawk's 2X with the THPS3 engine.

If Activision promises me those two things, I'll buy this game.
That cover is so god damned ugly I can't even bring myself to think that it could be good.

... is it good? :(

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Brobzoid said:
That cover is so god damned ugly I can't even bring myself to think that it could be good.

Yes, yes--I think it's the second-best Tony Hawk game ever, and that the merging of a racing game with the Tony Hawk trick-based gameplay makes for linear course design that's better suited for portable gaming than the traditional Tony Hawk formula. Also, I imagine it's insanely cheap now.

GCX

Brobzoid said:

The DS Tony Hawks made by Vicarious Visions were really good.

Ten-Song

GCX said:
The DS Tony Hawks made by Vicarious Visions were really good.

Word. The first one is still my favorite, but the DS Tony Hawk games ended up being a billion times better than the console versions they were meant to be micro copies of. I used to play American Sk8land online quite a bit way back when.

To be fair, I think Activision is using this quarter do whatever they ever dreamed they maybe couldn't because MW2 could bankroll a game about yachting that comes with an actual yacht. Or a Dethgame that costs $400,000 a copy and chops your hands off and features Toki coming to your house and shaking your stump and saying "Oh, heys, thanks for buying our games okay?"

I don't think they'd be trying this otherwise.

omg rite said:
So fucking good.

What the fuck happened?

This is going to be a fucking bomb of EPIC proportions.

What happened is there was nowhere left to go, really. THPS 2 improved on and perfected everything in the original, and the idea was good enough to squeeze one more sequel out of it before it started to get tired. But after that, to paraphrase Daniel Plainview, those fields were drained; that milkshake was drunk.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
What happened is there was nowhere left to go, really. THPS 2 improved on and perfected everything in the original, and the idea was good enough to squeeze one more sequel out of it before it started to get tired. But after that, to paraphrase Daniel Plainview, those fields were drained; that milkshake was drunk.

All people really want is a game in the same style as the THPS games. As long as something is really good, people often times don't mind it. They might skip out on it for a year but they'll be back to it eventually. But Neversoft just flat out butchered the series. They got to the point where they were adding features in left and right even if they were polished, just so they could have some new bullet points. Near the end they were even delusional about what the game was. But at least that gave us this classic

11h6xrq.gif

MrDaravon

YagizY said:
If only they integrated the dj controller and skateboard into one piece of equipment, reducing the amount of plastic devices needed for the game.

Only a select few can be Ride Heroes.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
SolidSnakex said:
All people really want is a game in the same style as the THPS games. As long as something is really good, people often times don't mind it. They might skip out on it for a year but they'll be back to it eventually. But Neversoft just flat out butchered the series. They got to the point where they were adding features in left and right even if they were polished, just so they could have some new bullet points. Near the end they were even delusional about what the game was. But at least that gave us this classic

11h6xrq.gif
Did that dude actually work on the game? I always thought he was just some guy they found like on the street and they pulled him in to talk about it. For street cred.

Y2Kev said:
Did that dude actually work on the game? I always thought he was just some guy they found like on the street and they pulled him in to talk about it. For street cred.

He's the one of the founders of Neversoft. :lol

Y2Kev said:

That dude runs Neversoft.

Polari

What the fuck? I haven't played a Tony Hawk game since 3 but reading on Wikipedia just now they started introducing a storyline and shit? Sounds like what this series needs isn't a gimmick but just to get back to its roots.

Makes me sad we never got a sequel to Thrasher: Skate and Destroy. That was game ruled, old-school rap soundtrack, actually being a somewhat decent simulation of skateboarding. Is the Skate series more along those lines?

Polari said:
What the fuck? I haven't played a Tony Hawk game since 3 but reading on Wikipedia just now they started introducing a storyline and shit? Sounds like what this series needs isn't a gimmick but just to get back to its roots.

Makes me sad we never got a sequel to Thrasher: Skate and Destroy. That was game ruled, old-school rap soundtrack, actually being a somewhat decent simulation of skateboarding. Is the Skate series more along those lines?

Haven't played Skate, but I think what it had going for it was the different control scheme, using the analog stick to control the board or something like that.

The only Tony Hawk game I really got into was 3, and the thing I loved about it was that it was in no way a simulation of skating. It provided speed, controls that were tight and rewarding to learn, and crazy ass tricks that had nothing to do with the laws of physics.

I'm watching this speed run of THPS3 here: http://speeddemosarchive.com/demo.pl?TonyHawk3_SS_547 and actually thinking about purchasing that game again. There's no way in hell this game would work standing on a damn board, there's too many moves requiring various button combinations. Regardless of reviews, Ride is definitely not going to be for me.

Kevtones

Tamanon said:
Good people work hard on every game.

Well no doubt, it's just this thread is more or less making a mockery of the product before any of them have had a chance to play it (or most of them). Making a legit thread would at least show some respect, after that, do what you want. Haters gonna' hate regardless, I just think making an official thread to trash a game before its release is in poor taste, that's all.

Top Bottom