• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Looks like from the reddit conversations that the Annabelle director was told by Mike to come at any time if he wants to do a video. Which I assume they'll do the standard of doing a best of the worst and an interview with him.

Guess the question is if he's enough of a fan to do this or if he realizes it could cloud their opinions on his future films. Well at least Mike, we've seen Jay not give a shit about calling a movie bad even if it's made by a friend.

I kind of hope he does come. I know the district 9/Chappie guy wanted to come too. But he might be too big Hollywood for them. While this guy is a relative newcomer and still down to earth enough.

I don't want them to start inviting every big Hollywood guy who wants to do advertisement for his films. There are millions of YouTube channels for them. This is meant to be more for obscure people.

Looks like from the reddit conversations that the Annabelle director was told by Mike to come at any time if he wants to do a video. Which I assume they'll do the standard of doing a best of the worst and an interview with him.

Guess the question is if he's enough of a fan to do this or if he realizes it could cloud their opinions on his future films. Well at least Mike, we've seen Jay not give a shit about calling a movie bad even if it's made by a friend.

I kind of hope he does come. I know the district 9/Chappie guy wanted to come too. But he might be too big Hollywood for them. While this guy is a relative newcomer and still down to earth enough.

I don't want them to start inviting every big Hollywood guy who wants to do advertisement for his films. There are millions of YouTube channels for them. This is meant to be more for obscure people.
While I wouldn't want there to be a guest on every BotW or HitB episode, I think having more Hollywood-types show up would be fine with me. As long as their episodes are funny and/or insightful. I still really like the Max Landis episodes.

vKF2CX2.png

holy shit, I missed this when my video started lagging.

Fury451

Banned
Man, Jay's story about his Twitter exchange with Sandberg kind of made me feel bad for the dude...but after hearing about how he promoted that competition...yikes.

I'm thinking he didn't know about the details, or if he did he was contractually obligated to participate in the promo regardless.

Blomkamp's career has been on an interesting trajectory, so I don't think he's too big for them. Landis wasn't.

Would be an interesting conversation for sure

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
That contest sounds pretty scammy but I expected as much considering how many lawsuits there are around stealing ideas

Cheerilee

I'm thinking he didn't know about the details, or if he did he was contractually obligated to participate in the promo regardless.

He mentions in the reddit thread that "the point" of the contest, as discussed with him before he agreed to do it (drawn up on paper by the lawyers, after the big ideas were discussed by the non-lawyers), was for them to get a look at some promising young talent, and to give that new talent a shot at making personal connections in the industry, and that hooking up with talented people is worth way more (on all sides) than stealing someone's idea for $50/100. When he saw that bit in the RLM review, he felt sick, and he immediately phoned Warner Bros and demanded that they get the lawyers back in the room and make them fix it. Basically, they should increase the price. Writers in Hollywood don't get paid a lot for this sort of thing, but $50/100 is a massive lowball.

He says the bit about them being able to take away the prize-meeting for any reason without penalty is just WB's way to cover their asses in case of things like a plane crash. You would definitely meet with him, and he would definitely try to show you a good time while introducing you to powerful WB individuals who are good to know if you're trying to get a movie made in Hollywood. He was/is 100% committed to the contest idea.

Seesaw15

If you listen to Doug Loves Movies Podcast David F. Sandberg randomly appears in the audience just to listen to the show. Guy seems nice hopefully they can get him on the show.

nah about halfway through the movie. It just wasn't doing it for me. Maybe I wasn't in the right mindset, but I don't know if I care to go back.
Well they had barely turned into Gremlins halfway, but fuck it, no need to justify t if you weren't feeling it. There's too much shit to watch or play and not enough time to worry about that shit. Move on to something else. And don't watch Gremlins 2.

I went back and watched both after the RLM commentary, and while both are still pretty good, I don't think they are the best of the 80's comedies. That would be Pee Wee'd Big Adventure and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

jviggy43

I will not stand for Gremlins slander. As Jay said in the commentary in regards to the violence in that movie, IE not kid friendly "It felt like you were getting away with something as kid a kid watching this. Like you knew you were watching something you shouldn't be allowed to".

Gremlin in a blender and a microwave was fantastic. I need to watch gremlins

Gremlins 2 may be the best movie of all time. I mean that both ironically and unironically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01l_jMhjVM

Oreoleo

Double post, who cares

Have they ever talked about Room (the Brie Larson one) in any capacity? I just saw it the other day and it was phenomenal (seriously, wow) and now I want audio of Jay gushing about it.

Double post, who cares

Have they ever talked about Room (the Brie Larson one) in any capacity? I just saw it the other day and it was phenomenal (seriously, wow) and now I want audio of Jay gushing about it.

They did in one of their Oscars videos. I liked Room, wasn't blown away or anything. Met the director, seriously nice guy.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
not sure why this movie deserved a spotlight episode. they seemed to make a way too big of a deal about everything when all they actually showed of the movie was just normal botw fodder, with a bit of aids sprinkled on top. as such it's no surprise the discussion itself did not have any moments that were particularly fun. certainly nothing approaching the tums festival argument.

at least only one canadian this time.

Seesaw15

Ok BoTW. I don't really like episodes where the bulk of the humor comes from insulting the actors physical appearance. Call the actor Shrek once or twice then focus on the script/editing/production/behind the scenes stuff. I enjoy mean humor but just calling a fat kid fat is low hanging fruit.

Top Bottom