• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtue's Last Reward SPOILER Thread

I was thinking in a scenario if it wasn't a lie. Was it proved 100% that it was? May be I missed it.

It is never outright stated, but the letter you get from Quark talking about Junpei along with Dio's lying scumbag nature suggest that Dio was indeed lying.

Alec

It is never outright stated, but the letter you get from Quark talking about Junpei along with Dio's lying scumbag nature suggest that Dio was indeed lying.

Plus Dio lied about his 'wife and kid' in that one scenario...Dio is just 100% a lying scumbag.

Roto13

Think of it like multiple worlds. Say for example you have a decision between two choices. In one reality you chose one, but in another reality, you chose the other. The multiple realities in VLR are like that.

Well I know that, that's just Dragon Ball time travel.

But who the hell is in Kyle? Since when can people jump into other people's bodies, even in Zero Escape?

Was Luna the robot mom that was introduced to K?

My guess is yes, but I don't want to believe it.

K is just so awesome, and I'd hate for him to have been mean to Luna. :(

Well I know that, that's just Dragon Ball time travel.

But who the hell is in Kyle? Since when can people jump into other people's bodies, even in Zero Escape?

Well, if you can jump into your own body it isnt a stretch to be able to jump into someone else's body. It probably takes a TON of power to be able to hijack someone though. That's... actually pretty concerning.

Anyway the person in Kyle is apparently YOU. That's how ? knows all about the game.

kiryogi

Banned
Was Luna the robot mom that was introduced to K?

Everyone here thinks that's the case, which means poor Luna got really abused emotionally in the past from him.

On a different note, it's been so long, and but was there a Q room or something in 999?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Everyone here thinks that's the case, which means poor Luna got really abused emotionally in the past from him.

On a different note, it's been so long, and but was there a Q room or something in 999?

Yes. In the second Nonary game...

Roto13

My guess is yes, but I don't want to believe it.

K is just so awesome, and I'd hate for him to have been mean to Luna. :(

Well, if you can jump into your own body it isnt a stretch to be able to jump into someone else's body. It probably takes a TON of power to be able to hijack someone though. That's... actually pretty concerning.

Anyway the person in Kyle is apparently YOU. That's how ? knows all about the game.

So it's literally me, Roto13, the player? Because that's stupid and I hope not. Keep the fourth wall, please.

Eusis

Pretty sure it was a hint that Free the Soul was behind Radical 6.
I'd go a step further: they may have engineered the virus to create that specific thought. Slows thinking down, makes people feel they need to "get out", and so commit suicide and doing what Free the Soul wants: people killing themselves and abandoning their bodies.

I'm guessing this goes back to the root thing, there was some talk about how everyone may be connected on a higher level with the lower levels (like roots) being distinct individuals. I wonder if that's what Free the Soul wants, an attempt to drive all of humanity back up to that higher point and exist as a single entity? Problem is I'm guessing individuals are needed for that to even exist, much like roots, so it's only a path to destruction on all levels of existence.

I'd go a step further: they may have engineered the virus to create that specific thought. Slows thinking down, makes people feel they need to "get out", and so commit suicide and doing what Free the Soul wants: people killing themselves and abandoning their bodies.

Honestly I believe that to be the case as well. I just found it kind of ridiculous that someone could engineer a virus to generate specific thoughts. But in hindsight it isn't really that weird considering everything else in the series.

LiK

SUPER CURIOUS

I had an option in the rightmost path to Ally or Betray Phi. I decided to Betray just for game reasons since I hated to choose Betray and just wanted to see what happens. Turns out Phi said she will remember this and she did when I went back to the Ally path which totally mindfucked me. Freaked me out and almost made me wanna restart a save but i stuck with it. Did anyone choose Ally first?

Venfayth

SUPER CURIOUS

I had an option in the rightmost path to Ally or Betray Phi. I decided to Betray just for game reasons since I hated to choose Betray and just wanted to see what happens. Turns out Phi said she will remember this and she did which totally mindfucked me. Freaked me out and almost made me wanna restart a save but i stuck with it. Did anyone choose Ally first?

I cannot remember what I chose, but I recall that happening.

One of my favorite parts of the whole game - the interaction with Phi while jumping through various consciousness's, facilitated by the morphogenetic field.

edit:

I chose Ally first, and Phi betrayed me. Then she said "I told you I wouldn't forget" and Sigma acted very confused. Then I went to betray her and she chose Ally and got all pissed off and said she'd remember. Heh. I think :p

Alec

SUPER CURIOUS

I had an option in the rightmost path to Ally or Betray Phi. I decided to Betray just for game reasons since I hated to choose Betray and just wanted to see what happens. Turns out Phi said she will remember this and she did which totally mindfucked me. Freaked me out and almost made me wanna restart a save but i stuck with it. Did anyone choose Ally first?

I picked Ally first, and she still Betrays you and says she did it as Revenge for 'what happened before'. Sigma was like 'wtf' but I immediately knew what was going on.

SUPER CURIOUS

I had an option in the rightmost path to Ally or Betray Phi. I decided to Betray just for game reasons since I hated to choose Betray and just wanted to see what happens. Turns out Phi said she will remember this and she did when I went back to the Ally path which totally mindfucked me. Freaked me out and almost made me wanna restart a save but i stuck with it. Did anyone choose Ally first?

I did. She does the same thing, leaving you incredibly confused.

Also just a thought I had:

Brother has the goal of well... freeing the soul from the body to purify people. I'm almost certain at one point the game uses the word contagiousness and soul interchangeably. In a way, the AB game also has the goal that Brother has. Except in this case, it is focusing exclusively to "free" the soul of Sigma and Phi so that they can move across timelines.

Akane even says something to the extent of "your consciousness is now free from its 3 dimensional cage."

Crazy conspiracy time: Radical 6 was initially meant to make everyone on Earth espers. Things went incredibly wrong though.

LiK

I cannot remember what I chose, but I recall that happening.

One of my favorite parts of the whole game - the interaction with Phi while jumping through various consciousness's, facilitated by the morphogenetic field.

edit:

I chose Ally first, and Phi betrayed me. Then she said "I told you I wouldn't forget" and Sigma acted very confused. Then I went to betray her and she chose Ally and got all pissed off and said she'd remember. Heh. I think :p

I picked Ally first, and she still Betrays you and says she did it as Revenge for 'what happened before'. Sigma was like 'wtf' but I immediately knew what was going on.

I did. She does the same thing, leaving you incredibly confused.

ahhh, so i guess going Betray first was the way to go. Man, that was scary, lol

Caelestis

SUPER CURIOUS

Wasn't there a lock on the ally's path? So you had to do betray first.

Edit- Too late, but no lock? Shows the book on the flow chart. I went with betray first time myself.

GSR

Wasn't there a lock on the ally's path? So you had to do betray first.

Edit- Too late, but no lock? Shows the book on the flow chart. I went with betray first time myself.

Yeah, if you pick Ally first you hit a lock because Sigma doesn't know what the hell's going on and how to calm Phi down. Once you betray her and learn the Latin phrase and why she's so angry, you can talk her down in the Ally route.

Eusis

I noticed the ally path was curiously short, and had to see whether you died then, or if it opened up a new branch.

YOU DIED

At least it was explained, it'd have been AMAZING if you picked betray, only for her to default and then get in a huff over it despite the fact she beelines to kill you in Ally.

Eusis

Then why did she betray Sigma when she would have defaulted to Ally anyway?
I think this might be explained by waking up on a drowsy haze and just knowing she needs to be defensive to get out fastest. Or perhaps she completely expected retaliation for her earlier betray and was sure Sigma would get back at her for that while comatose, and if that's the case then she probably would feel bad about expecting the worst from him. Would explain how you could still get her ending on the betray path anyway.

Necrovex

Then why did she betray Sigma when she would have defaulted to Ally anyway?

Because she assumed Sigma was going to take advantage of the situation, and she chose the logical route.

And the sedation could have altered her thought process. I believe in my Egyptian princess!

Eusis

She might also have a subconscious drive to fuck over Sigma in the AB games. Then again she'd have probably picked Betray that first time regardless and had you get no points.

Necrovex

She might also have a subconscious drive to fuck over Sigma in the AB games. Then again she'd have probably picked Betray that first time regardless and had you get no points.

In one timeline, she does choose to ally with you...then Sigma betrays her.

Eusis

In one timeline, she does choose to ally with you...then Sigma betrays her.
Exactly. It's kind of amazing though how she had the audacity to FORCE you to go with her in the Betray timeline (then betray you immediately upon getting out), yet wants nothing to do with you in the other timeline.

Busaiku

So did anyone note which paths you can go through without having completed anything?
I got Dio and Clover before anyone else, but by the time I got to them, I'd already gotten Luna and K's to be continued.

It's hard to recommend a more linear route that gets you progressively closer to the truth a little at a time, like in 999.
I guess that is the point or something.

What routes do you guys think would work best if you weren't limited?
My memory's terrible, so I can't think of anything besides Clover -> Dio going 1st. Luna -> Phi obviously last.

SoulUnison

Banned
Is the only "lock" on the Two-Headed Lion Login path the Login screen itself?

What happens if you start a new file, take that path first, and already know the code?

Kazerei

Banned
So did anyone note which paths you can go through without having completed anything?
I got Dio and Clover before anyone else, but by the time I got to them, I'd already gotten Luna and K's to be continued.

It's hard to recommend a more linear route that gets you progressively closer to the truth a little at a time, like in 999.

My memory's terrible, so I can't think of anything besides Clover -> Dio going 1st. Luna -> Phi obviously last.

I think this is correct, but not 100% sure.

Clover ending - no requirements

Dio ending - no requirements

Tenmyouji ending - requires Laboratory knowledge

K ending - requires Clover ending

Alice ending - requires Dio ending, Laboratory knowledge

Sigma ending - requires Alice ending

Quark ending - requires Sigma ending

Luna ending - requires K ending, Sigma ending; can be skipped if you just type in the passwords

Phi ending - requires a bunch of endings

Vibed

Just finished the game at 3:30 AM, and holy hell WHAT A MIND FUCK. Like, I seriously have almost no idea what's going on in END or BEGINNING and had such a hard time following which conscience went where. I'm going to read through this thread to try to help figure it out though.

I have to say, contrary to what is likely the popular opinion, I was a bit disappointed by the ending. It didn't really reveal anything I hadn't already figured out ages ago except for the "Sigma is an old man/Zero" bit and the exact plans of how to change Radical-8 among a other things. I guess I didn't really consider most of it that shocking. (Except the old man bit, which I didn't exactly like because I want handsome young Sigma thank you very much! >:O ) Seriously, judging by what I know now, I had most of it figured out by my third ending.

Also, I remember the OVA showed Sigma looking young, that kinda conflicts with the real story, doesn't it...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Just finished the game at 3:30 AM, and holy hell WHAT A MIND FUCK. Like, I seriously have almost no idea what's going on in END or BEGINNING and had such a hard time following which conscience went where. I'm going to read through this thread to try to help figure it out though.

I have to say, contrary to what is likely the popular opinion, I was a bit disappointed by the ending. It didn't really reveal anything I hadn't already figured out ages ago except for the "Sigma is an old man/Zero" bit and the exact plans of how to change Radical-8 among a other things. I guess I didn't really consider most of it that shocking. (Except the old man bit, which I didn't exactly like because I want handsome young Sigma thank you very much! >:O ) Seriously, judging by the ending, I had most of it figured out by my third ending.

Also, I remember the OVA showed Sigma looking young, that kinda conflicts with the real story, doesn't it...

Yes.

As for the OVA, well... they really tricked everyone didn't they :D

Lusankya

Dio's and Clover's ending are the only ones without a scenario lock.
Clover's ending unlocks K's ending.
Then you need to complete the Laboratory escape room and play past it.
This unlocks the paths to Tenmyouji's and Alice's (you also need Dio's ending for Alice) ending.
Alice's ending now unlocks Sigma's ending, which in turn unlocks Quark's ending and give's you the ID for Luna's ending (technically you can watch Luna's ending much earlier, when you just know the login).

After you have all the other 8 endings you can finally watch Phi's ending. Knowing all the codes means, it's actually enough to get Luna's, Alice's and Dio's endings.

Top Bottom