• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant |SPOILER THREAD| With more Christian subtext than BvS

She infact ran away locking the door when she saw the guys back start to bleed, which could have been anything at that point

She got sprayed in the face with blood after two spikes? blasted their way through a blokes spine. I'm pretty sure most people would shit themselves and bail at that point.

So I saw this last night, and quite enjoyed it. I agree with the posters saying that most of the actions everyone is shitting on for being really dumb person moments are, in fact, humans acting in realistic ways in the situation they're dealing with. None of the crew would be trained to deal with alien organisms gestating inside people, bursting out, then trying to fucking murder everyone. If this were a real situation, with people not trained to react in certain ways, everything would be absolute chaos.

GhaleonEB

All of this. I have no time for arguments that terror stricken human beings in utterly horrifying situations they've never experienced before should do anything other than freak the hell out and be overtaken by their pure primal drive to run or fight.

Yeah, the snippet in that tweet is odious. Being terror stricken is quite reasonable, I thought that angle of the disaster at the drop ship was done well, and likewise how McBride and the other survivor (I'm not good with names) behaved. In the opening drop ship scene, I also liked that she had an intimidate instinct to call for help.

But to chronicle her actions:

She locks the other woman in the med bay, to quarantine her. When the one doing the locking just got sprayed in the face with blood and goo by the infected guy.

She gets a gun and opens up the door anyways, once it's too late.

She misses when firing at the alien.

She slips and falls on her ass.

She closes the door on her foot, apparently breaking it.

She gets another gun and misses some more, this time hitting explosive canisters that blow the ship up.

Side note: despite apparently having a broken foot/ankle, she's seen on fire walking around.

It's one thing to be panicked, but it felt like one of the prolonged death scenes from a Naked Gun movie.

UberTag

Everything about this film tells me it should be a leading contender for next year's Razzie Awards and yet it won't be because film critics got baited by the production values into giving it respectable review scores. The fans clearly hate it. There seems to be an auto-inflation effect for all of Ridley Scott's films. It's the only explanation why even overlong pap like Exodus: Gods and Kings eked out a Metacritic higher than 50.

cdyhybrid

They landed on an alien planet and like an hour later one of the crew members is dying for who knows what the hell and he just threw up on someone else. This is not really a normal situation. Who wouldn't panic if something like this happened?

[edit]

She kept telling them not to touch anything and then threw away something that they touched before she entered ther shit. She was terrified that whatever he had had infected her or would end up infecting the whole ship.
People who aren't morons and wouldn't walk out on alien planets without a suit just because the atmosphere is breathable. We can barely deal with the pathogens on Earth and they just assume shit on an alien planet is fine. Give me a break.

Zekes!

She was freaking the fuck out

Everyone on the Covenant were freaking the fuck out

Everyone who was walking back to the ship was fricking the fuck out

It was complete and utter pandemonium as it should've been.

I mean, I guess? I wouldn't say Kenny Power's wife was dumb for not knowing how to deal with the situation at hand, though. Like, she even tried to use a gun and missed every single shot because she probably had never used one before.

I actually had no problem with her actions until she went back into the room with the gun. If she had just locked the other two in the medbay on the basis that she didn't know if the other woman was infected, that makes sense even if it's a brutal thing to do. But going back into the room? Nah man, that's just straight up dumb, and that's what they always do in movies.

Either way, her situation is the easiest to excuse due to fear and panic, but a lot of the other situations in the movie are characters being straight up stupid

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
People who aren't morons and wouldn't walk out on alien planets without a suit just because the atmosphere is breathable. We can barely deal with the pathogens on Earth and they just assume sit on an alien planet is fine. Give me a break.

What does any of that have to do with the person who stayed behind on the ship?

Maximus P

They landed on an alien planet and like an hour later one of the crew members is dying for who knows what the hell and he just threw up on someone else. This is not really a normal situation. Who wouldn't panic if something like this happened?

No, I understand completely.

But panicking for me would surely be the girl making a run for it. I think most people in that situation, even in a panicked state would have quickly opened and closed the door letting her friend free before making a run for it to hide behind the rest of the crew who were already tooled up with weapons at that point..

I just really dont understand her going for the weapon to fight the thing. Especially as she was so afraid to open the door in the first place when her friend was begging for her to save her.

The scene could have been done so much better for me.

CloudWolf

Seeing what David did to the engineers in this movie, it makes a bit more sense in hindsight why the engineer in Prometheus was trying to wipe out Earth. Perhaps the engineers have had experience with artificial intelligence themselves and determined that AIs are inherently a threat to biological life. Any civilization that has developed the necessary technology must be destroyed.
No, because that doesn't explain why the Engineers wanted to wipe out the Earth 2000 years ago.

Vectorman

Banned
I would also love to hear who decided that the mini-me Alien coming out of the captain's body was a good idea. Like lol that a facehugger would birth a snake-like creature in the original but nope, it's gotta look like a regular xenomorph that raises it's tiny hands.

sirap

No audience likes an incompetent character. That's like the first thing you learn as a writer when developing your characters.

There's nothing wrong with having your character panic and fuck up, but do it well. If you want them to run, run. Want them to fight back? Do it. Hell, you can even have them freeze in terror. Just don't make them switch between all three.

Alien handled this pretty well. Covenant...not so much.

GhaleonEB

I would also love to hear who decided that the mini-me Alien coming out of the captain's body was a good idea. Like lol that a facehugger would birth a snake-like creature in the original but nope, it's gotta look like a regular xenomorph that raises it's tiny hands.

It looked hilarious, even before it raised its hand. If the entire point is that David is making the aliens we see in the rest of the series, shouldn't the first one to be born...look like them?

What a baffling decision.

Firenze1

Banned
I was startled how early this telegraphed it was going to be a stinker. The moment Insecure Religious Man started talking about his insecurities and "following the path as it's laid out before me" oh my god. It actually made Prometheus' "because that's what I believe" scene appear subtle.

Then the crew began subdividing. Leave three on the main ship. Okay good call, makes sense. Leave one back on the drop ship. Um, okay. Now two are stopping midway during their hike. Um, not such a great idea. Now one of the two that stopped are splitting up and you gotta be shitting me. This embraces the whole don't split up cliche from horror movies and takes it to the nth degree.

Then one of the women locks up the other one with the infected guy for...I don't know. She's a horrible person. But she's also uncoordinated, landing flat on her ass and missing shooting the alien. Then she gets another gun and blows up the entire drop ship, setting herself on fire to die a horrible death. I actually started laughing when she came flailing out of the ship. The least coordinated space traveler in science fiction history here, they leave to go on a hike and she blows the place up and is on fire. Bravo! All that's needed is the returning hikers to be carrying a couple of pizza boxes and we could have a recreation of that "what the fuck happened here" .gif.

It's been a long time since I've seen a character fail so much in a film. Someone on the first page mentioned it should have had the Benny Hill theme running through it, and they were spot on. Jesus.

But everyone else is just as dumb. Let's lower the main ship into the storm. Let's go stand on top of a ship to fight the thing that tore through the entire crew. Let's stick my face in this giant egg, when people doing so with aliens on their face are literally plastered all over the wall. Let's be stalking down a dark hallway looking for monsters while the people on your radio are like, "Um, what's up? Hello?" and you don't reply for reasons. I counted four times this happened, and I only started counting midway through the film.

Unlike Prometheus, this was not a visually interesting film. There's no set piece like the alien ship launching sequence near the end that feels like it really builds from anything or has visual impact. Just clumsy one-off scenes that happen for increasingly stupid reasons, and are not well set up or filmed coherently.

Prometheus was dumb and awkward and misguided, but it didn't have the contempt for the audience that this film did. When our hero is stapling David's face back together near the end, I'm sitting there thinking, they told the audience the android self-heals. How does someone in the chain of command of the ship not know that? Holy fucking shit people. I hated the ending to this film more than I have the ability to express.

I set my expectations to "pretty but dumb", aka Prometheus. But I got "not very pretty and it hates you even before you have a chance to hate it back".

Here is a worse one:

1 engineer rips davids head off, he is still alive
2 shaw flees with davids head, lands on alien planet and apparently repairs david, um how?
3 david slashes walter with a knife so he dies, but at the same time david (an inferior model) lived on beheaded. And this upgraded model should not lost to david.

Einchy

No, I understand completely.

But panicking for me would surely be the girl making a run for it. I think most people in that situation, even in a panicked state would have quickly opened and closed the door letting her friend free before making a run for it to hide behind the rest of the crew who were already tooled up with weapons at that point..

I just really dont understand her going for the weapon to fight the thing. Especially as she was so afraid to open the door in the first place when her friend was begging for her to save her.

The scene could have been done so much better for me.

She didn't open the door because she thought it was something contagious and only opened the door to try to help her friend once she saw it was a creature.

cdyhybrid

What does any of that have to do with the person who stayed behind on the ship?
It's got everything to do with the entire expedition.

They all acted like complete morons. No better than the dumbass that wanted to pet an alien snake worm.

In addition to the aforementioned idiocy in response to the initial infection, we had the crew splitting up after they knew they were in hostile and extremely deadly territory just because people weren't answering comms. Then they don't even bother double checking which android got on the ship with them when they know that the source of all their troubles looks exactly like the android they lost track of.

GhaleonEB

She didn't open the door because she thought it was something contagious and only opened the door to try to help her friend once she saw it was a creature.

She got sprayed in the face by the same infected guy, then locked her up and ran. I instantly lost all sympathy for her in that moment.
Here is a worse one:

1 engineer rips davids head off, he is still alive
2 shaw flees with davids head, lands on alien planet and apparently repairs david, um how?
3 david slashes walter with a knife so he dies, but at the same time david (an inferior model) lived on beheaded. And this upgraded model should not lost to david.

Yeah, I didn't understand how we went from Walter tossing David around like a rag doll to David kung-fuing Walter to a standstill. What?

And as you said, David talking while nothing but a head,yet a single stab turning off Walter really didn't make sense.

Einchy

She got sprayed in the face by the same infected guy, then locked her up and ran. I instantly lost all sympathy for her in that moment.

Yeah, she was selfish there.
[edit]

Which isn't really a bad thing, in the sense that it was poorly directed or written, she was just wishing she didn't get infected and was too scared to go in there cus it might actually infect her. Then only went in when she saw it wasn't a disease and had a gun but she's not some badass so she trips on the slippery blood covered foor and misses all her shots, like a real person.

I really like that whole scene because of how human it is.

Monocle

Everything about this film tells me it should be a leading contender for next year's Razzie Awards and yet it won't be because film critics got baited by the production values into giving it respectable review scores. The fans clearly hate it. There seems to be an auto-inflation effect for all of Ridley Scott's films. It's the only explanation why even overlong pap like Exodus: Gods and Kings eked out a Metacritic higher than 50.
Ridiculous.

Yeah, the snippet in that tweet is odious. Being terror stricken is quite reasonable, I thought that angle of the disaster at the drop ship was done well, and likewise how McBride and the other survivor (I'm not good with names) behaved. In the opening drop ship scene, I also liked that she had an intimidate instinct to call for help.

But to chronicle her actions:

She locks the other woman in the med bay, to quarantine her. When the one doing the locking just got sprayed in the face with blood and goo by the infected guy.

She gets a gun and opens up the door anyways, once it's too late.

She misses when firing at the alien.

She slips and falls on her ass.

She closes the door on her foot, apparently breaking it.

She gets another gun and misses some more, this time hitting explosive canisters that blow the ship up.

Side note: despite apparently having a broken foot/ankle, she's seen on fire walking around.

It's one thing to be panicked, but it felt like one of the prolonged death scenes from a Naked Gun movie.
She panicked and acted selfishly out of self-preservation. I can tell you that if I got sprayed in the face by a guy with a monster tearing out of him, I wouldn't even consider quarantining myself in the same room. I think it's more likely that I'd try to trap and kill the thing.

Firenze1

Banned
Yeah, I didn't understand how we went from Walter tossing David around like a rag doll to David kung-fuing Walter to a standstill. What?

And as you said, David talking while nothing but a head,yet a single stab turning off Walter really didn't make sense.
Yeah ridiculous plothole right there. Also daniels not realizing walter was david until she was in cryobed was ehhhhh.

Monocle

Wait didn't David rip something out of his neck?

So just finished watching this movie with a group of friends. Man fuck this movie. I fell asleep 2 or 3 times but besides that they all hated it and felt like it added nothing and had like close to zero plot. It was worthless and honestly feels like it takes the story away further from how we get to the derelict ship in Alien

I'll post more of my thoughts in the morning, but just a quick reaction to Covenant:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Best comedy of the year

Dahbomb

Legit laughed out twice when those two chicks tripped over the blood like that. Wasn't the only one in there either.

This movie had zero tension or suspense. Scott has really lost his touch on that matter.

If it weren't for all the Fassbenders scene then this trash would be AvP tier.

If you guys want more "human" scenes of humans acting dumb... there are a thousand other horror movies of dumb people acting dumb and getting others killed. This trope has never been interesting and in fact gets made fun of constantly. The whole scene in the drop ship was like something you would see in a parody horror movie, the slips on the blood were slipping on banana peel levels of comedy.

Legit laughed out twice when those two chicks tripped over the blood like that. Wasn't the only one in there either.

As my friend said it was literally something out of a 90s horror film. I literally expected the girl to then manage to knock the alien out and then just drop the gun and run away.

Also "I'll do the fingering."

Carcetti

Not to mention 5 people died at the start simply because they didn't wear (or even have?) helmets into a totally unknown biosphere.

Anyone else AMAZED how much this shit series is mirroring the Star Was prequels?

TPM/Prometheus: Promises to be a groundbreaking new installment to the franchise that answers many questions and deliver more of the suspense and sci-fi action/terror fans love. While the film is pretty to look at, its also boring, and so pretentious it has its head up its own asshole, with monumentally stupid and unmemorable characters and a villain that only wins cause everyone else has an IQ below 50. It also seems to takes glee in contradicting establish franchise lore and canon every chance it takes to show its own bullshit down our throats that we never asked for.

AotC/Covenant: In response to the criticisms of the first film, this one ramps up the action (and gore in this case) and fanservice and does its best to avoid or remove entirely elements of the first film people hated, while at the same time fixing NOTHING that was actual wrong with the first film. The result is a mess with a plot and characters that are somehow even DUMBER than the first and so much forced fanservice at times it feels like the film pauses just so the imagined audience can ooooh and awww.

If the convention follows the third film will be just like RotS: A film that is in some ways even DUMBER than the previous two yet still considered by fanboys to be the best one simply cause of all the fanservice slapped on screen as fast as possible to distract the audience from the horrendous dialogue, stupid characters and idiot plot.

She panicked and acted selfishly out of self-preservation. I can tell you that if I got sprayed in the face by a guy with a monster tearing out of him, I wouldn't even consider quarantining myself in the same room. I think it's more likely that I'd try to trap and kill the thing.

Yeah, I actually liked that she was like "fuckkkk this bitch and her Transporter Refueled bleeding ass." That was smart. The dumb part was going back inside. Be smart and selfish and keep it locked inside. Also, how come the Prometheus crew come in with flamethrowers and shit, but these guys don't? Shame. Shame! We all know the only kinds of aliens that exist are bug aliens and therefore flamethrowers are a required part of space travel.

Firenze1

Banned
So just finished watching this movie with a group of friends. Man fuck this movie. I fell asleep 2 or 3 times but besides that they all hated it and felt like it added nothing and had like close to zero plot. It was worthless and honestly feels like it takes the story away further from how we get to the derelict ship in Alien
10 minute flute scene was really dragging.

Anyone else AMAZED how much this shit series is mirroring the Star Was prequels?

TPM/Prometheus: Promises to be a groundbreaking new installment to the franchise that answers many questions and deliver more of the suspense and sci-fi action/terror fans love. While the film is pretty to look at, its also boring, and so pretentious it has its head up its own asshole, with monumentally stupid and unmemorable characters and a villain that only wins cause everyone else has an IQ below 50. It also seems to takes glee in contradicting establish franchise lore and canon every chance it takes to show its own bullshit down our throats that we never asked for.

AotC/Covenant: In response to the criticisms of the first film, this one ramps up the action (and gore in this case) and fanservice and does its best to avoid or remove entirely elements of the first film people hated, while at the same time fixing NOTHING that was actual wrong with the first film. The result is a mess with a plot and characters that are somehow even DUMBER than the first and so much forced fanservice at times it feels like the film pauses just so the imagined audience can ooooh and awww.

If the convention follows the third film will be just like RotS: A film that is in some ways even DUMBER than the previous two yet still considered by fanboys to be the best one simply cause of all the fanservice slapped on screen as fast as possible to distract the audience from the horrendous dialogue, stupid characters and idiot plot.

Correct on all three counts.

Jindrax

I liked it.
Don't really get the criticism is the thread.
I mean if the crew did everything right there wouldn't be much of a movie.

But yeah I quite enjoyed it. Especially the whole David aspect.

Hopefully the movie has his unleash an alien or two on that entire colony that they'll build.

EGM1966

Pretty much agree. Oh well Scott clearly wants to keep busy vs retiring which I do admire but he's allowing half baked scripts to underpin his work to maintain the pace which is a shame as he can still direct a good scene and elicit a good performance but the underlying weakness of the scripts is killing his efforts.

Why is Christian subtext written in the title like a bad thing. Personally, I find it insulting.

Because movies tend to do it poorly with the subtlety of someone dying with their arms outstretched. Oftentimes comes off as a director shortcut for having depth and sounding smart.

theytookourjobz

I feel like all of the dumb shit the characters did doesn't bother me because A) no one was prepared for that situation and B) without all of the stupid mistakes, there is no movie. But holy shit the David/Walter swap was telegraphed a mile away. I liked the movie well enough but the end treated the audience like idiots and it left a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

TarNaru33

Banned
Odd... I figured out it was David simply due to the injuries on his face. Walter's regenerates (exception of his hand), so the guy needing to staple his face together made me already realize it was David with the fact that they didn't show the conclusion of their fight.

Sorry but the characters were too stupid for me to put this up with the Alien movies. Mr. Captain realizes that David created these hostile creatures and how David was talking to it just after it beheaded that lady yet he was still willing to stick his head into the egg sac.

Then Walter realizes what David had done much earlier, but gives not a single warning to those working beside him.

Also sorry, if you tried to take a ship down to danger levels with 2K people, I am going to knock your ass out and put you into hypersleep (or try anyways even if I have to wake some Colonists), the rest of the people on the planet can figure out what to do later.

I know they were probably focused too much about the Alien that was loose, but I would be wondering how the hell it got on the ship right after I killed it/sent it off into space. There was no way I was going to go into hyperspace without dealing with those concerns.

Issue with origin movies like this, is you already know how it will end. As soon as I figured out it was the origin of the Aliens, I knew the crew and colonists were screwed in the end as if David failed, it would contradict the Alien movies.

I enjoyed it up to the point shit goes bad, some cool scenes and tension, but once David arrives, movie goes downhill fast.

The whole movie also was just predictable, the marketing really showed off way too much of the movie, Davids twist was so obvious, everything was just too laid out. Movie would have benefitted from revealing less in the marketing possibly. But as it went on all I could think of, "oh they haven't gotten to that scene yet.... so they must...." and then yep it happens like I think.

And the chest burster, wtf was that mess? I expected ABC 123 to start playing and it to do a little dance. Stupid to change how the chest burster looks only to give it a silly looking meme worthy scene.

Also, the editing felt really choppy in the final 3rd of the movie. Everything moves incredibly fast, there is no indication of time either but the xenos becomes full sized from face hugger to xenos in a manner of like 6 minutes of film. Even in shitty AvP they do kinda note it's been hours possibly going by.

Monocle

So how did shaw repair david without tools or knowledge?
He talked her through it. Wasn't there a bonus clip released where David told her something like "connect [colored thing] to [colored thing]. It's meant to be easy"?

Bullshit negativity. Absolutely fucking worthless putrid nonsense. It's not even analysis. Just whining. You're jizzing diarrhea all over the place and asking others to join in. It's vulgar.

Oh please the Star Wars prequels are much better than this so far :p
Pure delusion. Watch them again.

i started laughing when it raised its hands 😂😂

"it's a me"

All I could think about when the mini me popped out.....

giphy.gif

Yeah this movie was ass. Just came back from it. Thoroughly underwhelming. Expected slightly more than Prometheus since Alien was in the damn title. Just poor. Why all this robot garbage when all people want to see is the alien fuck shit up.

The twist at the end was so audaciously telegraphed I just had to laugh.

Monocle

I found a video of the scene everyone is trashing and I honestly didn't think it was that bad...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RrxlbLVcpqI
Certain movie threads around here devolve into festering dogpiles for serial complainers. It becomes a game of perverse one-upsmanship: Who can slam this decent-at-worst movie with the crudest, most hyperbolic insults?

There's barely a pretense of discussion anymore. It's mostly "This shit movie is shit and I hate shit so I hate this shit. Everything sucks, blaargh."

What a waste of time. It's like, go find something you actually enjoy and talk about that. Wallowing in negativity is fucking tacky.

Are people assuming the David/Walter swap was a twist? To me it was basically Hitchcock's bomb under the table-moment. The tension came from you knowing, but the characters not.

zoukka

Are people assuming the David/Walter swap was a twist? To me it was basically Hitchcock's bomb under the table-moment. The tension came from you knowing, but the characters not.

Indeed, it wasn't hidden in any way. The way he looked at the distance when he stapled his face was a pure david-moment. And anyone who has any understanding of movie plot structure knew that Walter is dead when they didn't show the conclusion of their fight.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Certain movie threads around here devolve into festering dogpiles for serial complainers. It becomes a game of perverse one-upsmanship: Who can slam this decent-at-worst movie with the crudest, most hyperbolic insults?

There's barely a pretense of discussion anymore. It's mostly "this shit movie is shit and I hate shit so I hate this shit. Everything sucks, blaargh."

What a waste of time. It's like, go find something you actually enjoy and talk about that. Wallowing in negativity is fucking tacky.

If you don't like to read negative reactions then all you have to do is stop reading them. You can't seriously expect a poorly constructed movie like Covenant to avoid hyperbole when it's trying to live up to one of the most iconic and beloved scifi movies of all time. If you put the Alien name on something then either deliver a quality product or expect to get ridiculed. Covenant is getting exactly the same treatment that every movie post-Aliens got.

Ridley is delusional if he thinks he can just slap the Alien brand on his Prometheus 2 leftovers and shove some stupid xenomorphs into the last act. People wanted an genuine Alien movie, not a movie where Aliens appear briefly as a plot point.

Top Bottom