• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jerry Lewis passes away at 91.

Haven't seen many films with him.

But I remember seeing this on TV in like 90-91 when I was 7 years old. Took me a lifetime to figure out who starred in it and what the title was. All I remembered was a scene on a roof, and that catwoman was in it somehow.

MV5BMjZkNzBiYjgtMWYyOC00MGFlLWI1NTAtOGE2MjczYzZkN2Q2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR80,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Omadahl

Banned
There goes 90% of Paul Rugg's material if they ever revived Freakazoid. His impression was always spot on and in a weird way it gave me a better appreciation for Lewis. He had a tremendous impact on a lot of people even if we remember mostly for being popular with the French.

This is so eerie coming two weeks after I listened to the projection booth's podcast of The Bellboy, wow.

I'm a fan of his first four films as a director (The Bellboy, The Ladies Man, The Errand Boy & The Nutty Professor), as well some of his movies with Martin, and even with all of the poor comedies he did later, he gave some terrific later day performances in films like The King of Comedy. He may have been a bit annoying to some, but he was a great physical comedian. RIP!

Strike

Not so much a fan of him in his later years, but he deserves respect for his legendary career and his charity work.

He helped raise a ton of money for dead and dying friends. He'll be remembered positively.

He may have been a good person at one point but unfortunately this news just makes me remember this article I read a while back about how much a piece of shit he ended up being, telling racist jokes on stage and such. I think it was even linked from GAF.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9bzkjz/jerry-lewis-is-still-alive

Still...it's a sad time when a one-time legend leaves us.

Faynwulf

Always bet on gaf to shit on a recently deceased person. This guy was an actor who said some questionable things at an age where nothing should be taken at face value and not someone who commited crimes against humanity.

RIP - I always loved his films when I was a kid. I should watch some again now that I'm older.

EGM1966

Damn. Entertainment legend and deservedly so. Rest easy and in peace.

King of Comedy and something with Dino needs to be watched again now.

Feels like we're really losing many giants of entertainment now. Unavoidable but damn is the stream of losses steady. Least Lewis got to 91 - that's a damn good age for a guy from his generation.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Rest in peace. This guy was so far ahead of his time it's crazy. He made a lot of contributions to this world, so hopefully he'll be remembered for a good long while.

Every weekend as a kid there was a Lewis or Lewis and Martin movie or two on the telly. He sure turned into a grumpy shit but he made a lot of people happy for so many years. Me included.

tumblr_m1vjvp2YHR1qhaitco1_500.gif

ReaperXL7

He had some really sad and unfortunate views late in his life but it's also tough to know how much of that was brought on by mental illness. It's no secret that he battled a lot of demons and even tried to commit suicied at least once.

Hopefully he can find some peace,he was involved with some fantastic comedy, he made some garbage statements but did a lot of good with his actions, especially those with disabilities. People either loved him, or hated him.

Ridley327

Was this the telethon man?

Yeah, his telethon for muscular dystrophy was probably the most well known of its kind. His humanitarian work is some of the best any entertainer has ever done.

RIP. He had some unfortunate political views late in life, but he still did a lot of good for a lot of people throughout his life and he was a comedy legend.

eso76

He did an interview a few months ago. Look it up it's fucking amazing.

I just did. Holy shit, that was painful :D

You mean the one in which he's being as uncooperative as possible with the interviewer who basically keeps asking him how does it feel being beyond old, right ?
Legendary.

RinsFury

His views on refugees and his support for Trump disgusted me, but I respect his contributions to the comedic world and all the money he raised for muscular dystrophy. RIP.

It had been donated to the Library of Congress with the stipulation it wouldn't be screened until 10 years had passed. That was in August 2015.

On topic, RIP.

It sucks that we'll have to wait but I really don't blame him because of the current political climate we're in. It's an incredibly smart move on his part. This way people can mourn him appropriately without being distracted by what is most likely a very ill conceived bit of comedy that didn't fly back then and certainly couldn't have aged well now (or in the next 10 years).

bengraven

Rest in peace Mr. Lewis. You were a true legend and gave a lot of people including myself a lot of laughs. Personally love some of your movies set in the war and of course Cinderfella.

Personally though he did seem to be a hit or mess person. Some say he was great while others say he was a complete and total shit. But that's a topic for another day once we've stopped mourning.

Look at how the heads look so different in the bodies.

This is clearly Photoshop.

Amazing, he lived a long life. He did so much for others, I remember seeing those telethons back in the 80s and 90s.

God Speed Sir.

Top Bottom