• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super English Dub Thread

Awesome! Love the dubbed anime but didn't want to check the other thread due to potential spoilers.

A teeny bit upset that the last episode was more of a recap but all good! Hopelly the string of continuous weekly episodes continues.

Boke1879

I know some may tire of it but I love every eating scene in this show. The ramen bit with beerus just killed me lol

They make that food look so damn good lol.

Only thing I hate is how the dub is only one episode a week. It's just going to take so long to get where we are now in the sub, but the dub gets my support every week.

cntr

Banned
Pretty good episode, which is uh, really saying something for a recap.

If you're wondering, the only reason there's a recap is to give the production a bit more time to recover after it collapsed during the Golden Frieza arc. This is the only recap episode in Super.

Was that uub reference in the sub too?
Yeah.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Pretty good episode, which is uh, really saying something for a recap.

If you're wondering, the only reason there's a recap is to give the production a bit more time to recover after it collapsed during the Golden Frieza arc. This is the only recap episode in Super.

Yeah.

ugh that's one thing I wish they would get rid of. Uub is such a weird random way to end the series and it would be nice to end with Goku with his family. I try not to think about that ending. LIke why reincarnate Buu? He never asked for that with Cell or Frieza and now he's leagues above Buu

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
They make that food look so damn good lol.

Only thing I hate is how the dub is only one episode a week. It's just going to take so long to get where we are now in the sub, but the dub gets my support every week.

yeah 52 weeks a year means we won't even be caught up to the sub in a year :(

cntr

Banned
Uub is canon, so I guess they figured they should set him up in Super so it's a bit less random? I'unno.

Skeeter49

The recap felt weird, but it was funny with the narrator and Goku breaking the fourth wall.

Nice seeing Gohan and Piccolo train.

Vegeta's mean to Goten and Trunks :(

cntr

Banned
Oh, yeah, Lemongrab, can you add a link or mention the Toonami OT in the first post? Would be nice, since it's the main place to watch dub Super.

Enforced

I read some comments on the episode of the english dub on Youtube. There are some people didn't realize that Krillin was impersonating 18 and Chi-Chi. They thought their voices was strange. They didn't really pay attention. lol

Tidalwave

Thanks for making this thread. Maybe it will result in a majority of off topic not posting spoilers of the sub randomly, without context and without a spoiler warning?

It won't.

Skeeter49

Notable things from that VA list. English Cast VA spoilers.

Cabba's
VA is the same as his Xenoverse 2 VA.

Same for
Frost

Hit's
is different.

Video games are traditionally worse with VA than the actual show though.

cntr

Banned
The VAs for the games get almost no info or direction on what the characters they're portraying are like. There's an infamous terrible voice in the game, about a major spoiler character, where the description the VA was given for the character was "he's evil".

That's all going to be fixed in Super.

caliph95

The VAs for the games get almost no info or direction on what the characters they're portraying are like. There's an infamous terrible voice in the game, about a major spoiler character, where the description the VA was given for the character was "he's evil".

That's all going to be fixed in Super.
That "evil" character in preceding Dlc got better acting and voice too so I imagine super will fix that

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Omg that episode didn't have any action but damn were the boob comments hilarious. I was rolling when the assistant was describing her lol

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Just now caught the episode. Quite the tease but U6 looks interesting and I like the voice acting for the new fighters so far. Can't wait for good frieza next week and guessing the bear is a pushover. The purple guy has to be the strongest as he seems to be the most serious and unknown one.

Just now caught the episode. Quite the tease but U6 looks interesting and I like the voice acting for the new fighters so far. Can't wait for good frieza next week and guessing the bear is a pushover. The purple guy has to be the strongest as he seems to be the most serious and unknown one.

A push over.... yeah, that sounds about right for Majin Pooh.

Chris R

Yay, finally a thread that isn't 2 years ahead of us!

Next few episodes should be good after taking forever to build up and get the fighting started :(

caliph95

Got our first look at the U6 fighters
giphy.gif

I've found in cases the english dub is making some pretty nice improvements over the original japanese version, even in some cases adding additional fight animations and more clearly explaining specific story details? Is that true?

Ionic

Next week's episode looks good. I love Vegeta's closing line.

I only finally started Super last weekend and got caught up in a couple days. I have a hard time dealing with the subs having grown up with the dub voices, but knowing that there are 70 more episodes out is making me question my virtues.

Giga Man

Oh, goody. There's a DBS dub thread. I'm so glad we're finally on some new stuff.

JetsOW1.png

Goku and Vegeta look like their poses should be reversed. They look completely opposite in character here. Also, the rest of Frieza's neck is missing on the left of the poster where you can see the background taking up its space.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Oh, goody. There's a DBS dub thread. I'm so glad we're finally on some new stuff.

JetsOW1.png

Goku and Vegeta look like their poses should be reversed. They look completely opposite in character here. Also, the rest of Frieza's neck is missing on the left of the poster where you can see the background taking up its space.

It is well known that Friezas species only has one trap muscle

Also you're spot on about the poses. That looks like Goku's pose from their first fight and gokus face looks like it was drawn for a bragging vegeta moment.

Discount Frieza is gonna get rekt by vegeta blue I think. Not sure about the metal man. Seems like a good foe for piccolo to take down

It definitely sucks that the dub is so far behind and also has to go through breaks every so often because of Adult Swim.

if it takes a week off, when it comes back at least give me two episodes and I'll be happy.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
It definitely sucks that the dub is so far behind and also has to go through breaks every so often because of Adult Swim.

if it takes a week off, when it comes back at least give me two episodes and I'll be happy.

Yeah their production should be able to handle at least one a week in the interest of at least keeping pace

cntr

Banned
I've found in cases the english dub is making some pretty nice improvements over the original japanese version, even in some cases adding additional fight animations and more clearly explaining specific story details? Is that true?
The script is pretty much one-to-one. They rewrite the dialogue to be funnier for English-speakers and whatnot, but most of the conveyed information are pretty much the same. (Though, the subs often have mistranslations, which obviously the dub doesn't. But people don't always know that.)

The animation is the same, but the dub uses the blu-ray versions of the episodes, with touched up animation. (And if you wanted to be pedantic, Funimation adjusts frame timings to match the dub dialogue, which technically makes it different.)

I suppose there are very few dragonballz fans that are not into super at all
Super is very much in the style of the original Dragon Ball. Very light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek. I mean, look at Monaka's nipple jokes, that's the most OG shit you can get.

I've always preferred comedic Dragon Ball, and honestly, don't care much for Z's seriousness and fighting. I don't like much of Z after Frieza. But while Super is right up my alley, a lot of people did prefer Z's seriousness, and so Super gets a lot of grouching from them, heh. The Super OT is especially awful about this, they even argue about power levels!

Hopefully this thread fares better!

Mind, though, that the Japanese broadcast of DBS takes regular breaks as well. This week had no Japanese episode, for example, since its channel was airing an all-day Japanese history marathon. So it works out pretty evenly in the end. Otherwise, blame Toei for being so stingy about letting Funimation air DBS.

And Super isn't just some Adult Swim show, it's part of Toonami. Which has more shows than just Dragon Ball. You might not give a crap about those, but some people do, so.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
And Super isn't just some Adult Swim show, it's part of Toonami. Which has more shows than just Dragon Ball. You might not give a crap about those, but some people do, so.

I would prefer to get two episodes of Super each week, rather than Super followed by the Kai version of the Buu saga.

I do realize that's just because I think the Buu saga is a gigantic waste of time in general, and it's probably better for Toonami the way it is.

cntr

Banned
I would prefer to get two episodes of Super each week, rather than Super followed by the Kai version of the Buu saga.

I do realize that's just because I think the Buu saga is a gigantic waste of time in general, and it's probably better for Toonami the way it is.
tbh I wouldn't mind that, but yeah no way it'd actually happen

I'm currently following the Latin Spanish dub of DBS on Cartoon Network Latin America and I'm halfway through the Freezer saga (please no spoilers beyond this arch) and I'm flabbergasted by the quality of the animation so far. This is subpar. It doesn't even come close to DBZ from 25 years ago. What the hell happened? This screams lowest required effort and corners being cut all around. Does it get better?? Or will this new show look worse than it's almost 30 year old predecessor?

Top Bottom