• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silver and Gold drama on Amazon Prime right now (Kaiji/Akagi author)

Ryuukan

bNjv0aa.jpg

Amazon just put up Silver and Gold (Gin to Kin), a Japanese drama based on the manga of the same name by Nobuyuki Fukumoto, known for Kaiji and Akagi manga.

summary from the amazon page:

Tetsuo Morita (Sosuke Ikematsu), a good-for-nothing guy, gambles to vent his anger towards life. Dead broke, he meets Ginji Hirai, a bigtime fixer. Tetsuo admires his evilness and talents, which allow him to make big money. Morita aspires to surpass Ginji and turns to crime. A psychological warfare over big money between evil and evil. Can Tetsuo become a successful fixer?

def gonna watch this tonight!

Amazon link

I know what I'm watching tonight! Love Kaiji and Akagi, and this certainly looks like it'll scratch an itch until they get a move on with a Zero adaptation.

Ryuukan

Just watched ep 1, good stuff

I've never read Kaiji or Akagi so I can't call myself a fan but liking this so far

Swamped

Banned
Kaiji depressed the hell out of me, but I couldn't stop watching it. Looking forward to watching this show.

rackham

Is this based on that Shogi anime show were that "genius" kid walks into a mobster bar late at night in the first episode?

This show is interesting for sure, but I felt the conclusion to ep3 was a bit weak. Will keep at it though. Love that the zawa zawa's are back :)

Is this based on that Shogi anime show were that "genius" kid walks into a mobster bar late at night in the first episode?

Sorry if I'm wrong but are you perhaps mistaking shogi for mahjong? As that's pretty much how Akagi starts (and that series is related).

rackham

This show is interesting for sure, but I felt the conclusion to ep3 was a bit weak. Will keep at it though. Love that the zawa zawa's are back :)

Sorry if I'm wrong but are you perhaps mistaking shogi for mahjong? As that's pretty much how Akagi starts (and that series is related).

No you're probably right. I don't know any of that shiz. So yeah. Akagi is probably it. lol. Shogi/majong. lol

Ryuukan

finished ep 9
gambling is a pretty heavy focus, much like the author's other works obviously
that was some intense stuff
also be warned there were a few graphic scenes

LTTP but this is actually a pretty good show. First real arc is pretty poor and not indicative of the rest of the episodes but I got total Kaiji vibes from everything else.

FYI there's some depiction of sexual violence in the middle episodes.

That being said,
I'm questioning why poker dude was depicted as being a sympathetic figure after he lost the poker game despite being a serial rapist. The fate he suffers in the next arc is pretty fucking awful, though. Wouldn't want that for even the worst killers.

The mahjong arc was pretty gripping even though I barely understood the game (it's like poker but with ceramic tiles?) So I'm wondering if I could enjoy Akagi too.

Ryuukan

LTTP but this is actually a pretty good show. First real arc is pretty poor and not indicative of the rest of the episodes but I got total Kaiji vibes from everything else.

FYI there's some depiction of sexual violence in the middle episodes.

That being said,
I'm questioning why poker dude was depicted as being a sympathetic figure after he lost the poker game despite being a serial rapist. The fate he suffers in the next arc is pretty fucking awful, though. Wouldn't want that for even the worst killers.

The mahjong arc was pretty gripping even though I barely understood the game (it's like poker but with ceramic tiles?) So I'm wondering if I could enjoy Akagi too.

in regards to the spoilered text, I think that was done precisely to setup what you then mentioned.

Top Bottom