• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN 30 for 30 - OJ: Made in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

For those that have watched this and the FX series, which one would you recommend seeing first? And is it worth watching both?

I would watch both, starting with the series. The show gives you some great exaggerated performances from individuals you may not have known about during the trial. Having seen the FX program first, it makes the actual individuals more identifiable and easy to digest in a long documentary.

For those that have watched this and the FX series, which one would you recommend seeing first? And is it worth watching both?

I think watch the FX Series because it gives a bit more info and then follow up with OJ:Made in America. the FX show might be one of the best shows of 2016 so please do check it out.

Yeah I'd watch the FX show first because while you get a sense of the trial and the players albeit fictionalized the documentary is having a larger social conversation with the trial as a focal point.

jmood88

I have no idea why FX took the show off of their site. These networks go out of their way to keep people from watching their shit and it makes no sense.

Dalek

I hope to start watching it tonight . It really looks incredible and the whole story is stranger than fiction.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
There's nothing more annoying than listening to smarmy lawyers bragging that they got a double murderer off. That and listening to those dumb jurors justify their verdict.

DominoKid

I think the fact that his defense and acquittal is tied to race relationships in LA makes it all just seem like a sham given how much he didn't care at all about being black.

With the miniseries, it sort of felt "fake" because it was John Travolta and the guy from Friends doing this shit, but I wonder how the actual lawyers can feel about not only defending a guilty person, but also exploiting race in a way that made a mockery of the things that happened to the real victims of institutional racism.

it's just a job. seems fairly easy to reconcile it.

I have maybe 45 minutes of part five left. Honestly after the civil trial before the Vegas thing I had no idea what this dude was up to in between but Jesus dude hit a weird bottom that's like watching a Girls Gone Wild video.

There's nothing more annoying than listening to smarmy lawyers bragging that they got a double murderer off. That and listening to those dumb jurors justify their verdict.

You ain't seen nothing yet, wait until episode 5. The older woman juror was VERY honest

I have maybe 45 minutes of part five left. Honestly after the civil trial before the Vegas thing I had no idea what this dude was up to in between but Jesus dude hit a weird bottom that's like watching a Girls Gone Wild video.

He was an egomaniac spiraling out of control. I heard about bits and pieces of that stuff, but I was shocked how much video they had of him from that time

Tall4Life

This is absolutely fascinating. I was not alive when this was going on, so I only have a vague idea at best of what happened, so it kind of feels like I'm reliving the whole event, except I'm seeing all the different sides.

The Darden-Cochran dynamic with that argument about turning the trial into a race issue was engrossing, to say the least. Both sides made really interesting and valid points, and the extra commentary really helped unravel everything.

I think this is going to win an Oscar.

This is absolutely fascinating. I was not alive when this was going on...
For some reason this blows me away. Damn I'm old. I remember vividly watching the NBA finals when the white Bronco was being followed and when the verdict was read when I was home from work for my lunch(3 hot dogs).

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Are people really surprised by that? OJ was basically an arrogant rich white man with a tan at that point

Yes. I was 11-12 years old when this all was happening, how could I have known?

The most I knew about OJ was he played for the Bills and was in some movies.

For some reason this blows me away. Damn I'm old. I remember vividly watching the NBA finals when the white Bronco was being followed and when the verdict was read when I was home from work for my lunch(3 hot dogs).

There's a sportscaster who met Al Cowlings and claims Al told him that OJ wanted to hear the end of the NBA Finals game on the radio before he went to jail and that's why they were driving so slowly on the freeway.

jmood88

I have no idea how anyone in the prosecution or with the LAPD's investigation ever worked again. They did an amazing job of fucking the case up.

I have no idea how anyone in the prosecution or with the LAPD's investigation ever worked again. They did an amazing job of fucking the case up.

Based on the interviews with the jurors I'm convinced the outcome of the trial was determined during jury selection. Everything afterwards was basically pointless.

jmood88

Based on the interviews with the jurors I'm convinced the outcome of the trial was determined during jury selection. Everything afterwards was basically pointless.
For the one old lady, she clearly had her mind made up, but the prosecution and the LAPD made horrible decisions at every step of the way.

Yeah, the evidence collection was fucked up. Did I mishear it, or were Ron + Nicole's bodies covered with sheets from the house?
Nope, you didn't mishear. They really just grabbed a random sheet from the house.

RBH

Will this come out on Bluray/DVD? I don't have cable and don't know of any other way of obtaining this program.

A lot of the recent 30 for 30 documentaries have been put on Netflix within a month or two of them airing on TV. Not sure if that will be the case for this OJ special as well, but there's a chance. At the very least, I'd be shocked if this didn't release on Blu-Ray/DVD at some point.

This is absolutely fascinating. I was not alive when this was going on, so I only have a vague idea at best of what happened, so it kind of feels like I'm reliving the whole event, except I'm seeing all the different sides.

The Darden-Cochran dynamic with that argument about turning the trial into a race issue was engrossing, to say the least. Both sides made really interesting and valid points, and the extra commentary really helped unravel everything.

I think this is going to win an Oscar.
OJ best actor in leading role

Earlier, it was mentioned that Nicole
had to have a dress that covered her neck because "her head was almost severed off"
. Fucking Christ, I really wasn't ready for that picture.

Yeah, I mean I knew that from the FX series and researching the case earlier. I had even come across the crime scene photos before. Never THAT photo though. Holy shit.

A lot of the recent 30 for 30 documentaries have been put on Netflix within a month or two of them airing on TV. Not sure if that will be the case for this OJ special as well, but there's a chance. At the very least, I'd be shocked if this didn't release on Blu-Ray/DVD at some point.

I used to feel the same way too about being certain that everything would eventually make it onto Bluray/DVD, but we don't have Daredevil or Bojack Horseman yet. I don't have cable, so I'm hoping that this and People vs. OJ will be released on the home market.

jmood88

I used to feel the same way too about being certain that everything would eventually make it onto Bluray/DVD, but we don't have Daredevil or Bojack Horseman yet. I don't have cable, so I'm hoping that this and People vs. OJ will be released on the home market.
Both of those shows are Netflix originals. ESPN has put all the other 30 for 30's on Blu-Ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom