• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's watch/rewatch Game Of Thrones together from the start

Season 5 Episode 5
Daenerys acting a little more like her father burning her enemies alive.

Missandei and Grey Worm, I still don't understand why the castrated guy is trying to get it on. I mean Nathalie Emmanuel is beautiful but its still weird.

Tough decision to try to ally with the Wildlings. But anyone who had seen the White Walkers would see the necessity in it.

Ramsay has official reached "someone is definitely going to kill this annoying prick" status. Could it be Theon? I'm guessing not but that would be a cool redemption.

The whole Stone Men/greyscale thing is weird. Is it just a plot device for something bigger?

Season 5 Episode 6
I hate to be overly nitpicky but just cutting off the front of someones face is a lousy explanation of shifting identities. Is this different/more fleshed out in the book? I mean Jaqen was a husky old black dude earlier in the season.

Liked the scene in the water palace. Nice little fight and everyone ends up getting arrested.

Margaery gets arrested, wonder who is next? Pretty much everyone is fair game. This High Sparrow is out of control.

Still object to the fact that Sansa would ever agree to go through with marrying a Bolton. It's absurd.

Haven't had a rape scene in awhile. Nice to see the series get back to its roots /s.

bigJP

Season 5 Episode 6
I hate to be overly nitpicky but just cutting off the front of someones face is a lousy explanation of shifting identities. Is this different/more fleshed out in the book? I mean Jaqen was a husky old black dude earlier in the season.

Don't think the book has gotten that far.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I am the worst at binge watching. I started the series a few days before this thread went up and I'm only coming up to the end of the second season.

I felt like a goober when I didn't realize the burned bodies were supposed to be the Stark boys. At first I just assumed they were the farmers themselves, then I realized they were tiny so it must be the orphans that they'd brought up twice at that point. Not once did it occur to me that they were supposed to believe it was Bran and Rickon until it was said on screen explicitly.

I am the worst at binge watching. I started the series a few days before this thread went up and I'm only coming up to the end of the second season.

I felt like a goober when I didn't realize the burned bodies were supposed to be the Stark boys. At first I just assumed they were the farmers themselves, then I realized they were tiny so it must be the orphans that they'd brought up twice at that point. Not once did it occur to me that they were supposed to believe it was Bran and Rickon until it was said on screen explicitly.
Eh I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. There are so many things going on at once you are bound to miss something.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Eh I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. There are so many things going on at once you are bound to miss something.

Don't worry, I tend to blame others for most things I find bad in general.
The scene could have been much more clear if they wanted the viewer to buy the misdirection, and they didn't have to bring up the true victims earlier in the episode to make it obvious what was really going on. It was just a late season cliffhanger resolved in the next episode though
so I didn't mind much.

Season 5 Episode 7
Tormund has turned in to one of my favorite characters. Kristofer Hivju does a great job. Extra bonus for being a redhead.

RIP Maester Aemon :(

Didn't think Sam would ever have sex with Gilly. Seemed like he was rather principled. Although he has seen some shit, maybe he just doesn't care anymore.

WTF is Stannis doing. He's completely lost this thing.

The scene in the dungeon in Dorne was pretty amusing.

Oh shit, Cersei getting fucked by her own overreach. Nice to see her get some karma.

Finally understand those "I am the Gift" meme's from awhile back. Still not funny.

Season 5 Episode 8

Great episode, or is it half episode heh (not even going to bother discussing the non-Hard home stuff.

I wasn't expecting a huge action set piece because usually those are in Episode 9 but I guess things are really ramping up in scale in general.

Hardhome is a bit on the nose to name the village.

I knew Karsi was going to get it. The cliched "I'll be right behind you" bit strikes again.

Really cool that the Valyrian steel can kill the White Walkers, I wasn't expecting that at all. Although I don't know how I feel about these insta kills.

The whole sequence had a real tense horror/thriller vibe to it with the building tension and the total chaos.

The Night King with his "come at me bro" look at the end while raising all the dead wildings was priceless. Is Andy Serkis secretly mo-capping that guy?

I may be wrong but that didn't look like it was filmed in Iceland like the other North of the Wall stuff. It felt kind of familiar but can't put my finger on it.

Altazor

Season 5 Episode 8
The whole sequence had a real tense horror/thriller vibe to it with the building tension and the total chaos.

that's probably what I liked the most. It just felt absolutely hopeless. Based Miguel Sapochnik, who returns in Season 6 to direct its two best episodes (yet again).

that's probably what I liked the most. It just felt absolutely hopeless. Based Miguel Sapochnik, who returns in Season 6 to direct its two best episodes (yet again).

Is this part past the book?
Based on the original numbers it seems like 70-80k wildings died there

Altazor

Is this part past the book?
Based on the original numbers it seems like 70-80k wildings died there

what LegendofDragoonLives said.
Jon gets a letter talking about the dire situation at Hardhome, including some very ominous lines like: "Very bad here. Wildlings eating their own dead. Dead things in the woods." and "Eight ravens left. Dead things in the water. Send help by land, seas wracked by storms."

There's a bit more but there's something that happens later both in the book and the show so I won't mention it after you've finished the season.

Jon's not there. You get impressions from other people. Here you get his POV since he goes there.

what LegendofDragoonLives said.
Jon gets a letter talking about the dire situation at Hardhome, including some very ominous lines like: "Very bad here. Wildlings eating their own dead. Dead things in the woods." and "Eight ravens left. Dead things in the water. Send help by land, seas wracked by storms."

There's a bit more but there's something that happens later both in the book and the show so I won't mention it after you've finished the season.

Damn ok, it's always interesting to learn about the differences.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Finished season 2, some assorted thoughts:

Winterfell: HOW'D IT GET BURNED?! It seemed that Theon's men betrayed him to take him to the forces coming to take back the castle in exchange for their freedom. How did lighting up the place help this plan?

giphy.gif

The Blackwater battle was really good, but some of the kills bordered on gorey slapstick. Maybe it says more about me than the show but when that dude's head exploded in front of Stannis I had a hearty belly laugh. The explosion at the start was incredible and it was well done in general, but all the talk and preparation of the long siege only to be followed by "Welp we lost, time to kill my son" after the first fight felt a bit off. It worked to reinforce Tyrion being pretty great and Joffrey being a total shit, but we already knew these things.

Sansa's conversation with The Hound seemed like it ended with her accepting that he wouldn't harm her, implying they were going to leave together. But then he was gone and she stayed around because she is bad at decisions and wanted to stay in the shittiest situation of everybody in shitty-situation land. I'm guessing the "Let's feel bad for Sansa hour" will continue for basically as long as she or the show survives.

Beyond the wall: Walking, talking, walking, talking, walking, HOLY SHIT THINGS, season is over. I feel like I'm watching Lost again.

Daenerys has had her wheels spinning in the grand scheme of things, but I like her character moments. Entering the city, getting smacked back into reality by the merchant, burning the (only? What?) warlock, and her final punishment to her servant and host were all great. The vault reveal itself felt like nothing more than a twist for the sake of twists and didn't really make sense with the character as he had been set up. If you say a thing enough in Qarth does it become true? Does Qarth work on Persona 2 rumor rules?

Arya's great. Let's get this war over with so she can start murdering some fools.
I enjoyed her scenes with Tywin, even if he should have had her killed or at least under watch long ago if he's in a war and figured out she's faking at being a commoner. Her story might have been my favorite of the season aside from that nagging issue.

I think it's the knowledge of a book series existing that makes me look for things, but season 2 felt like there were parts cut or altered because it would have been expensive.
Qarth felt underwhelming as a supposedly huge rich city, the invasion of Winterfell happened off screen, the King's Landing "siege" ...
but I haven't read the books so maybe I'm off.

Neece

Finished season 2, some assorted thoughts:

Winterfell: HOW'D IT GET BURNED?! It seemed that Theon's men betrayed him to take him to the forces coming to take back the castle in exchange for their freedom. How did lighting up the place help this plan?

giphy.gif

The Blackwater battle was really good, but some of the kills bordered on gorey slapstick. Maybe it says more about me than the show but when that dude's head exploded in front of Stannis I had a hearty belly laugh. The explosion at the start was incredible and it was well done in general, but all the talk and preparation of the long siege only to be followed by "Welp we lost, time to kill my son" after the first fight felt a bit off. It worked to reinforce Tyrion being pretty great and Joffrey being a total shit, but we already knew these things.

Sansa's conversation with The Hound seemed like it ended with her accepting that he wouldn't harm her, implying they were going to leave together. But then he was gone and she stayed around because she is bad at decisions and wanted to stay in the shittiest situation of everybody in shitty-situation land. I'm guessing the "Let's feel bad for Sansa hour" will continue for basically as long as she or the show survives.

Beyond the wall: Walking, talking, walking, talking, walking, HOLY SHIT THINGS, season is over. I feel like I'm watching Lost again.

Daenerys has had her wheels spinning in the grand scheme of things, but I like her character moments. Entering the city, getting smacked back into reality by the merchant, burning the (only? What?) warlock, and her final punishment to her servant and host were all great. The vault reveal itself felt like nothing more than a twist for the sake of twists and didn't really make sense with the character as he had been set up. If you say a thing enough in Qarth does it become true? Does Qarth work on Persona 2 rumor rules?

Arya's great. Let's get this war over with so she can start murdering some fools.
I enjoyed her scenes with Tywin, even if he should have had her killed or at least under watch long ago if he's in a war and figured out she's faking at being a commoner. Her story might have been my favorite of the season.

I think it's the knowledge of a book series existing that makes me look for things, but season 2 felt like there were parts cut or altered because it would have been expensive.
Qarth felt underwhelming as a supposedly huge rich city, the invasion of Winterfell happened off screen, the King's Landing "siege" ...
but I haven't read the books so maybe I'm off.

About the gore in future episodes
Blackwater is the only battle with that cartoon gore and exploding limbs and heads. They decided it was a bad choice and future battles all have a more realistic approach to gore.

Season 5 Episode 9
Fuck these people for burning Shireen alive. Stannis is totally screwed in the head at this point and even if this sacrifice works there is 0 chance he is mentally competent enough to win the Iron Throne.

Nice moment between Jaime and Myrcella with her accepting him as her father. Otherwise this Dorne stuff really screeched to a halt.

It's weird seeing Arya actually dressed as a girl. She still can't let go of the past. Doubt she ever will.

I suppose it was inevitable that Daenerys would ride Drogon. It was foreshadowed endlessly. Can she actually control him though?

Altazor

Season 5 Episode 9
Fuck these people for burning Shireen alive. Stannis is totally screwed in the head at this point and even if this sacrifice works there is 0 chance he is mentally competent enough to win the Iron Throne.

I really disliked this episode for that reason. No amount of
yay Denerys is riding a dragon yassss kween slay
obvious "epic heroic" shit made me forget what they did to
Stannis'
character. Full blown assassination, and one hell of a horrible scene to watch.

Season 5 Episode 10
Good riddance to Stannis after that whole debacle. Glad Brienne got her justice.

See this is what I'm saying about this whole face thing. Arya clearly had different hair and a different build then whoever was getting flogged originally. It's dumb.

All that time in Dorne for nothing apparently with Myrcella getting poisoned on the way back.

That walk of shame...

Can't say I'm surprised that the men mutinied on Jon Snow. I don't believe he is actually perma-dead though. When an important character is dead in this show they are very explicit about it.

Altazor

Season 5 Episode 10
Good riddance to Stannis after that whole debacle. Glad Brienne got her justice.

See this is what I'm saying about this whole face thing. Arya clearly had different hair and a different build then whoever was getting flogged originally. It's dumb.

All that time in Dorne for nothing apparently with Myrcella getting poisoned on the way back.

That walk of shame...

Can't say I'm surprised that the men mutinied on Jon Snow. I don't believe he is actually perma-dead though. When an important character is dead in this show they are very explicit about it.

1- The "funny" thing about that scene is that
Renly never was the rightful king. He's the younger brother, Stannis had a better claim. Renly just had charisma and alliances. "All flash, no substance" as someone said in a Book thread.

2- Yeah, that sort of thing kinda works better in books than on the screen, because you're not worried about those sort of details. Your imagination takes care of that when you're reading.

3- Fuck. Dorne. Most wasted plotline in the series.

4- Arguably the best part of the episode and one of the best scenes from the season. Really well done, and captured the
absolute humilliation and despair that Cersei was forced to go through, and how she (publicly) endured it.

5- The "thing that happened both in the book and the show" that I mentioned earlier was this. In the books though
he was planning to go to Hardhome with the wildlings to see WTF had happened there when he gets "that" letter and decides he's going to Winterfell to fight Ramsay while sending Tormund and other wildlings to Hardhome. He thinks the tone of the letter means Ramsay has unjustly provoked and threatened the Night's Watch, so he's justified in getting involved - he doesn't force his brothers to go with him and no one volunteers, except for some wildlings. After that, chaos descends and Jon gets et-tu-brute'd by some of his brothers.

Season 5 Overall Thoughts
Not quite as horrible as people were claiming just "ok" with some highlights. Hardhome and Cersei's walk of atonement.

Some really brutal stuff in the Winterfell and Stannis story lines that I took no enjoyment out of.

What the hell happened to Bran??

Final thought, what is going on with Daenerys exactly? Her conquest is way too slow. They've used 5 seasons out of 8(I think?) and she is still at least a season if not more away from even setting foot on Westeros let alone conquering the whole thing.

Violet_0

Banned
Final thought, what is going on with Daenerys exactly? Her conquest is way too slow. They've used 5 seasons out of 8(I think?) and she is still at least a season if not more away from even setting foot on Westeros let alone conquering the whole thing.
book Dany is the same. No one knows why, but the Essos chapters are much better in the books than the show, relatively (imo). You've now gotten to the part of the show that nearly completely progressed past the books, minus one or two things that are still to come. Some of the events in S5 have yet to happen or might actually never take place in the books

book Dany is the same. No one knows why, but the Essos chapters are much better in the books than the show, relatively (imo). You've now gotten to the part of the show that nearly completely progressed past the books, minus one or two things that are still to come. Some of the events in S5 have yet to happen or might actually never take place in the books

I get that, I still think they are setting themselves up for failure since they clearly have multiple seasons worth of material past the books. First 5 seasons went incredibly slow, at some point its going to have to pick up drastically. I guess its a double edged sword though, if you don't cover enough of the actual books you risk alienating the fans of the source material.

Violet_0

Banned
I get that, I still think they are setting themselves up for failure since they clearly have multiple seasons worth of material past the books. First 5 seasons went incredibly slow, at some point its going to have to pick up drastically. I guess its a double edged sword though, if you don't cover enough of the actual books you risk alienating the fans of the source material.

I think you'll get your wish once you catch up to the current season. The pacing picks up again in S6, it's quite packed compared to S5

who are your favorite characters at this moment?

I think you'll get your wish once you catch up to the current season. The pacing picks up again in S6, it's quite packed compared to S5

who are your favorite characters at this moment?
I've always leaned towards the characters with a sense of humor because this show is so heavy. Tyrion, Bronn, Tormund, and The Hound. I liked Arya a lot at first but she's getting a little too "serious".

Violet_0

Banned
I've always leaned towards the characters with a sense of humor because this show is so heavy. Tyrion, Bronn, Tormund, and The Hound. I liked Arya a lot at first but she's getting a little too "serious".

oh, you're just picking the usual suspects, how boring :p

wait, no
Ser Davos
?!

Season 6 Episode 1
Nice to see Brienne actually make good on her oath.

This stuff at Castle Black is just a waste of time. Clearly Jon is going to be brought back. I can't imagine it being any more telegraphed.

There goes Daenerys' fleet. I'm sure she'll get another one easily enough. She just needs to find a way out of the Dothraki clutches.

Seems like the Dorne plot line is at a conclusion. Not sure where it goes from here as they killed the vast majority of the interesting characters (Oberyn, Doran, Trystane)

Season 6 Episode 2
Three Eyed Raven recast. I guess its been 2 seasons so few would notice.

More on Bran, since he was gone for like a season and a half I assume he's been in this tree for years?

So Jon Snow is back. No surprise there. I did like the whole Wildings showing up to protect him bit though.

So is Euron Greyjoy just an asshole? Why does he show up and kill his brother randomly?

Ramsay Bolton doing more psycho shit. I'm more convinced than ever he is going to get it.

This is some weird Faceless Man training. I guess it pays to learn how to fight blind if you want to assassinate someone in the dark?

About the gore in future episodes
Blackwater is the only battle with that cartoon gore and exploding limbs and heads. They decided it was a bad choice and future battles all have a more realistic approach to gore.

- You find out later how it gets burned, you didn't miss much lol

- As for the Wall/North, that part gets progressively better over time. There will be a huge episode in the future that generally gets everyone on board with the Nooouth.

- The main battles get so much fucking better in the future. Always thought ep9 of s2 is grossly overrated because of the entire battle pales in comparison to what's to come. They get better at it, and when director Sapo tha goat comes into town, battles will you get you hyped the fuck up.

James-Franco-Wink-Gif-In-Spider-Man.gif

Season 6 Episode 3
Does dying and being resurrected really absolve you of your oath to the Night's Watch? I'm a little unclear on the fine print.

So Bran can effect the past? This is getting pretty weird.

Mereen ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I don't see how Daenerys is in any danger at all. She can get her Dragon to burn down the whole city and she is immune to fire.

Arya sure got her sigh back quickly. This is a weird plot line.

Man I pretty much forgot Rickon existed. Has to be the most insignificant person in this whole series.

Altazor

Season 6 Episode 3
Does dying and being resurrected really absolve you of your oath to the Night's Watch? I'm a little unclear on the fine print.

technicality, but yes.
"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death." Jon was definitely killed, and he was brought back, so his Watch ended with his death.

Season 6 Episode 4
They really are getting a lot of mileage out of this High Sparrow storyline. It's just a matter of how Cersei is going to take this dude out. The intimidation/army tactic is only a short term move.

Nice reunion with Jon and Sansa. At this point its hard for me to remember those couple episodes back at the start of season 1 and how the kids looked/interacted...and I only started watching a little over a month ago.

Not sure what Littlefingers angle is here. He lies about what he did to Sansa in order to help her retake Winterfell?

RIP Osha, hope she got a nice paycheck for the 10 minutes of work she did on this season.

Mereen stuff is terrible, especially without Daenerys.

Speaking of her, more ridiculous fortune for her. So she kills essentially every Dothraki person of importance and inherits a gigantic army. I guess she had to be prisoner for a couple days. At least we get some T&A right fellas? /s

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Tell me when you guys reach Season 6 cause I only watched until S5.

Edit: Damn. Seems you're already at S6.

Season 5 is easily the worst season so far by the way. S7 comes pretty close at times (and, IMO, has what I would call the worst written/directed episode in the entire show), but S5 is where the show took a huge nosedive in quality. S6 is better, though still not as good as S1-S4.

Season 6 Episode 5
You know its funny how Jorah and Daario came all this way and literally did nothing to help Daenerys.

I have a feeling Jorah will get healed. No clue how though.

Seems like Arya doesn't have the stomach for blind assassinations. She only really wants to kill those who have wronged her.

So these forest/tree things created the White Walkers but now they fight against them. I wonder if we'll ever learn more about what Dragon Glass really is.

OMG, Hold the Door, get the fuck out of here.

Season 6 Episode 4
Nice reunion with Jon and Sansa. At this point its hard for me to remember those couple episodes back at the start of season 1 and how the kids looked/interacted...and I only started watching a little over a month ago.

Ironically enough, the two Starks that have nothing in common/to do with each other pre-leaving are the two that meet. Sansa was a douchebag to Jon before they left (in the books), they have 0 interaction in the show until this moment.

Their scene and Hodor scene make this an amazing episode for me for ep 5 :'(

Season 6 Episode 6
Is this the first/only time we've actually seen the Mad King?

Benjen coming out of nowhere. How many years has it been since he showed up? Couldn't figure out what his weapon is? Is it a flaming mace or is it something more like a lantern on a chain?

What's Samwell going to do with a Valerian steel sword? Eventually give it to someone else who can actually use it?

Looks like the show of force worked on the High Sparrow. Although now the king is brainwashed too.

I still don't understand why Arya went through all of this Faceless Man stuff if she never fully committed to it.

Season 6 Episode 7
So the Hound is alive? I knew it. I'm happy he is back. Always good for a funny barb at someone.

I wasn't sure if Margaery had truly converted or not. It appears she hasn't. I like that it was kept ambiguous.

Man these North Men are real pieces of shit huh? Won't back the rightful rulers when this fuckhead is in power. I'm sure after the inevitable victory by the Starks they will all come crawling back.

"I'm gonna fuck the tits off this one" is a great line for Yara. It is kind of cruel taking Theon to a brothel but whatev.

Damn Arya got fucked up by the Waif. Have to reiterate on the whole changing your faces doesn't change your body type/hair/etc. I'm guessing she'll survive at least for now because they are always explicit about major deaths.

Season 6 Episode 8
Little bit of stretch that Arya could even recover from that attack let alone be able to sprint for miles and defeat any enemy in single combat. I'm guessing she's going home to work on her list. I'd like to see her kill Cersei but I don't know if she'll ever get the chance since the series is running out of episodes.

I like The Hound joining up with The Brotherhood, he is well on his way to redemption.

How convenient that just as Daenerys returns in need of a huge fleet of ships, there is one right on her doorstep.

I would what Cersei's "plan" is after trial by combat was outlawed.

Maybe I'm missing something but what is the point of this whole Riverrun sequence? There are no greater stakes. Is it just a convenient way to get a bunch of the main characters together again? Or is it more about Jaime not being in King's Landing for something?

Season 6 Episode 9
Another easy victory and more allies for Daenerys...moving on to the good stuff.

I think I had seen "Battle of the Bastards" floated around before. Never really thought much of it.

This is definitely a highlight for the season. I love how raw and brutal the battle is. It really feels hopeless for Jon Snow. There are some parallels in visual style to the Hardhome sequence.

I was pretty convinced Rickon was getting it although I had slight hope he would survive.

I always knew the Knight of the Vale were coming to save the day. Is it just me or does this series rely a lot on these Deux Ex Machina kind of events to save main characters from an obvious death?

Too bad the giant got it, he was the last one of his race I think?

I'm glad Ramsay got it. Well deserved for that piece of shit. He was right though, he left a lasting mark on Sansa. Her taking pleasure in him being eaten alive is quite the striking difference in her character from earlier seasons.

Season 6 Episode 9
Another easy victory and more allies for Daenerys...moving on to the good stuff.

LMAO! A huge reason why that character has been so boring for seasons 2-6. I really hope
she doesn't end on the throne at the end, though I am pretty confident it's not happening. I think when she 'almost' touches the throne but moves away in season's 2 house of the undying vision is a foreshadowing. She gets real close but never gets to sit on the throne.

I wouldn't say there's much deus ex machinas at least until s6's done, they're generally telegraphed or make sense through their actions imo. Sansa told him to wait it out I believe before the fight. It also makes sense she asks LF for help to bury Ramsay. Vale showing up earlier means Ramsay stays at Winterfell and they never take the castle. LF obviously has it in his interest as always to ensure victory for the (Sansa) Starks.

By the way, SapoGOAT directed Hardhoam, and he directs both 6x9 and 6x10.

Rewatched season 1 - 6 before and during season 7. It was even better now when you have everything more in context and know who the characters are.

I was unfamiliar with all characters when the show started and it was quite messy to keep up with what happens. But when you binge it, know the characters, houses and so on and dont have to wait a year between seasons it is ooh so god.

Top Bottom