• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingaporeGAF |OT| Home to Olympic gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

SEA GAF would be good, since I don't think there's enough Singaporeans to keep this alive anyway.

Actually, I think there's enough. There's 20 of us around, maybe? And it's slowly growing. I just think that most of us don't come in here enough to post. Best way to keep track would be via the user control panel and using the subscribed threads function so you see when the thread gets updated and not just only coming in when you see the thread in the front page of OT.

any places that still sells retro games and consoles? PS2 and below.

Funz Centre has some of those. Seow Choon might have stuff as well though I haven't been there in ages. But yeah, there really isn't much of a retro scene here.

Gibbo

any places that still sells retro games and consoles? PS2 and below.

Seow choon used to be the go to place for this, but they have shut their doors in 2013 I believe. Your best bet would be on the buy/sell threads on gameaxis/hardwarezone

To be frank there is not a lot to talk about. Not much event in Singapore. Next year should be more interesting being Singapore's 50th birthday and possible elections.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
We could talk about the music scene?

A few good bands coming to Singapore in July, such as the Bombay Bicycle Club, The 1975 and Slowdive.

Anyone going to these gigs?

Other than that, don't think there are any big names on the horizon for the rest of the year. Other than Jay Chou, if that is your sort of thing.

kudoboi

A few good bands coming to Singapore in July, such as the Bombay Bicycle Club, The 1975 and Slowdive.

Other than that, don't think there are any big names on the horizon for the rest of the year. Other than Jay Chou, if that is your sort of thing.

i guess theres taylor swift and ellie goulding :/

ElyrionX

I'm more of a prog guy so I'm just waiting for Dream Theater to announce their Asian tour with fingers crossed for a Singapore show again. I've been to see them the last three times they were here.

Just returned from Singapore and I loved the place. Great food, friendly helpful people, clean modern city and everything is in English. You don't know how good that is after living years in Tokyo. Really liked the multiculturalism and blend of different influences. Did most of the touristy stuff and finished it off with a birthday lunch at Raffles. Just wish I could have gone out to some of the more out of the way places and seen some of the old Singapore.

Singapore>>>>>>Tokyo in my opinion. I think you guys are lucky to live there.

Just returned from Singapore and I loved the place. Great food, friendly helpful people, clean modern city and everything is in English. You don't know how good that is after living years in Tokyo. Really liked the multiculturalism and blend of different influences. Did most of the touristy stuff and finished it off with a birthday lunch at Raffles. Just wish I could have gone out to some of the more out of the way places and seen some of the old Singapore.

Singapore>>>>>>Tokyo in my opinion. I think you guys are lucky to live there.

There are good and bad in every country. Glad you enjoyed your stay :D

Xbox Singapore just announced our local xbone bundle. Sony does not need to worry at all. Lol.
The reaction on Xbox sg Facebook tells all.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox Singapore just announced our local xbone bundle. Sony does not need to worry at all. Lol.
The reaction on Xbox sg Facebook tells all.

Is it the Fifa Bundle? $739 with Kinect and $639 without?
How much is the PS4 going for now?

I remember seeing a price drop for the import version of Xbone on Qisahn last Dec, one week after they had stock lol...

Gibbo

Hi Singapore GAF! Just checking in after lurking for a long time...American foreign talent here since 2009.

Welcome mate. This thread is dead in the water though.

Btw, Anyone getting Fifa 15? Like my games lag free; and currently theres only one other singaporean that im playing regularly with. Lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I just visited Singapore last Saturday, up to Monday.

Bah! Everything breaks or not functioning! Hahaha. The battlestar galactica's roller coaster didn't work when I visited USS (big bummer), the merlion statue was closed (WTF), and the elevator that brought you up in Marine Bay was broken as well, forcing me to climb six floors worth of stairs, gahhh.

Also, damn your country is *really* hot, hahaha. I *really* love the buses though, although the drivers for some reason were always rude. Well, maybe not rude, but grumpy.

Visited Chinatown, bugis, etc etc. The ice cream in Orchard Road was divine, hahaha.

I enjoyed my times there though, all things considering. And since I don't require any visas whatsoever to visit, I am thinking of going back in the future just to enjoy things I missed the first time (that roller coaster ugggggggghhhhhh).

wilflare

I just visited Singapore last Saturday, up to Monday.

Bah! Everything breaks or not functioning! Hahaha. The battlestar galactica's roller coaster didn't work when I visited USS (big bummer), the merlion statue was closed (WTF), and the elevator that brought you up in Marine Bay was broken as well, forcing me to climb six floors worth of stairs, gahhh.

Also, damn your country is *really* hot, hahaha. I *really* love the buses though, although the drivers for some reason were always rude. Well, maybe not rude, but grumpy.

Visited Chinatown, bugis, etc etc. The ice cream in Orchard Road was divine, hahaha.

I enjoyed my times there though, all things considering. And since I don't require any visas whatsoever to visit, I am thinking of going back in the future just to enjoy things I missed the first time (that roller coaster ugggggggghhhhhh).

you should have told me even you are coming

ElyrionX

Welcome mate. This thread is dead in the water though.

Btw, Anyone getting Fifa 15? Like my games lag free; and currently theres only one other singaporean that im playing regularly with. Lol

I might buy it for the PS4 which currently still sits sealed and unopened in my closet lol.

Qvoth

i went sg around july, imo the quality of tonkatsu inside mandarin gallery went down, i used to love that place, but when i went there recently it was very meh

tried the new burger place in wisma atria, liked the fries more than the burger
i ordered the mexican cola because i thought it's some mexical local soft drink or some shit, turns out it's literally coke imported from mexico lol
i heard the south american cokes still use sugar canes, unlike the rest of the world, maybe that's the reason whey they sell it, don't think it tasted any different though

need recommendations on ramen places, the only ones i go to are santouka and ippudo since they're close to where i live :/

ElyrionX

Let me know. I might double dip..considering the hardwarezone and gameaxis Fifa community leans twds PS. Anyway time to dust it off- Destiny

Lol sure. I am still on the fence on Destiny. Waiting for reviews. Busy with Diablo 3 on the PC and I recently got into Magic the Gathering which is sucking up a lot of my time (and money).

i went sg around july, imo the quality of tonkatsu inside mandarin gallery went down, i used to love that place, but when i went there recently it was very meh

tried the new burger place in wisma atria, liked the fries more than the burger
i ordered the mexican cola because i thought it's some mexical local soft drink or some shit, turns out it's literally coke imported from mexico lol
i heard the south american cokes still use sugar canes, unlike the rest of the world, maybe that's the reason whey they sell it, don't think it tasted any different though

need recommendations on ramen places, the only ones i go to are santouka and ippudo since they're close to where i live :/

Many many great ramen places around. Another good one in the Orchard area is Bari Uma at Tanglin Shopping Centre. Marutama at Central is always good. Keisuke Tori King at Tras Street is a bit different from the usual ramen as it actually serves an actual chicken thigh with its ramen. Miharu at Gallery Hotel gets many rave reviews too. Ippudo is probably still my favourite though.

Anko

Hello, Singapore GAF. Didn't know we had a thread.
I just bought Destiny and found out about the awesome bundle they were doing for it (camera, 1 yr PS+, $15 credit, 2yr warranty at price of S$699). Then again, it's actually a reasonable bundle at that price and the launch unit without the whistles was the one that was overpriced. Makes me wonder why I bought at day one. Lesson learned. Store tells me it's probably Sony's counter measure against the XBO which is launching on the 23rd.

I've been going to Marutama Ramen, which I like. They have 4 stores in SG, though I'm not sure if they're close to you. How far could it get though, it's SG.

ElyrionX

I just bought Destiny and found out about the awesome bundle they were doing for it (camera, 1 yr PS+, $15 credit, 2yr warranty at price of S$699). Then again, it's actually a reasonable bundle at that price and the launch unit without the whistles was the one that was overpriced. Makes me wonder why I bought at day one. Lesson learned. Store tells me it's probably Sony's counter measure against the XBO which is launching on the 23rd.

That is a good deal. Damn. How much is 1yr or 1mth PS+ sub. I am wary of Destiny requiring multiplayer to be a complete experience. Somehow after not playing multiplayer on consoles for a while and doing PC gaming for the past year, the idea of paying multiplayer access does not sit too well with me anymore.

Gibbo

Yup always tell myself not to buy consoles on day one- but i always give into the hype. I bought my PS4 for 629 sgd a few months back when supplier stock was very low. Now for that price, several shops are offering to throw in a second controller if you buy a game from them as well

Gibbo

That is a good deal. Damn. How much is 1yr or 1mth PS+ sub. I am wary of Destiny requiring multiplayer to be a complete experience. Somehow after not playing multiplayer on consoles for a while and doing PC gaming for the past year, the idea of paying multiplayer access does not sit too well with me anymore.

1 year sub is 47sgd. Destiny comes with a free 1 month PSN+ trial. So dont commit to a year yet.

ElyrionX

1 year sub is 47sgd. Destiny comes with a free 1 month PSN+ trial. So dont commit to a year yet.

Good to know thanks. At least it's substantially cheaper than a Xbox Gold sub.

I was just reading through the Destiny thread and I am probably going to skip it lol. Got too much stuff on my plate as it is. No point spending time and money on a mediocre game.

ElyrionX

Bus drivers are lowly-paid workers living in a country with high standards of living and virtually no social safety net (although this is changing very fast). On top of that, their passengers tend to be rude and unappreciative while their fellow drivers on the road are idiots and inconsiderate. Of course they are grumpy lol.

wilflare

woah that's a nice bundle...

bought my PS4 with FIFA(sold off) 2years warranty and PS+ 1 month... sigh.

so it was S$659
- S$52 (sale of game)
- ?? Credit for shopping at Challenger.
= S$600?

+ S$65 (Bought PlayStation 4 Camera from Amazon)

Total = S$665

but I guess being able to play some of the games more than make up for it

TheDrizzle

Neo Member
Many many great ramen places around. Another good one in the Orchard area is Bari Uma at Tanglin Shopping Centre. Marutama at Central is always good. Keisuke Tori King at Tras Street is a bit different from the usual ramen as it actually serves an actual chicken thigh with its ramen. Miharu at Gallery Hotel gets many rave reviews too. Ippudo is probably still my favourite though.

Keisuke Tori King ramen is not bad but I prefer the food at Gyoza King by the Orchid Hotel more. No ramen there but the gyoza is good and the portions are just right.

I bought my PS4 + Tomb Raider for SGD 640 which seems like a pretty bad deal in retrospect. Didn't go for the camera though, not sure if I would ever use that.

Playing Destiny now but the matchmaking is pretty bad. Always looking for some local gamers to play with. Add me! PSN: The-_-Drizzle

Gibbo

Im not exactly a ramen fan, but i do like Tori king at 100am. Really generous with their servings and their roast chicken is pretty delicious.

Anyway, anyone here playing D3 on the PS4? Spent many hours on the PC version, but decided to double dip.

Kjellson

I was in Singapore back in June. I really liked it and I want to go back some time soon.

The heat fucking slaughtered me though. I don't know how you guys do it.

Kjellson

Air con.

Lots of air con.
Lol, you're right. As someone else earlier in this thread said, there were a lot of malls with AC's over there.

Also, now when I'm here I might ask some stuff I've wondered since I visited. I lived in the Pan Pacific Hotel and I noticed the lack of stores and bars nearby, and the ones that was was in underground passages and malls. Most of the places closed early too, I went through a Burger King and a 7-Eleven at 10 PM and they were closing! Is it safe to assume that areas like Orchard Road and similar is where the real city life takes place? (Never really visited OR, just went through with a tourist bus)

Also, another thing I'm wondering. On June 21st (I remember because I watched the Argentina - Iran World Cup game the same day) there was this big event. It had stuff like military aircrafts flying around making high sounds, and there were a couple of helicopters flying a huge Singaporean flag to this stage by the water. Later during the evening there was apparently some singing about how great Singapore was or whatever and other performances.

My question is, what was the thing all about? The national day is supposedly in August so I don't know.

Lol, you're right. As someone else earlier in this thread said, there were a lot of malls with AC's over there.

Also, now when I'm here I might ask some stuff I've wondered since I visited. I lived in the Pan Pacific Hotel and I noticed the lack of stores and bars nearby, and the ones that was was in underground passages and malls. Most of the places closed early too, I went through a Burger King and a 7-Eleven at 10 PM and they were closing! Is it safe to assume that areas like Orchard Road and similar is where the real city life takes place? (Never really visited OR, just went through with a tourist bus)

Also, another thing I'm wondering. On June 21st (I remember because I watched the Argentina - Iran World Cup game the same day) there was this big event. It had stuff like military aircrafts flying around making high sounds, and there were a couple of helicopters flying a huge Singaporean flag to this stage by the water. Later during the evening there was apparently some singing about how great Singapore was or whatever and other performances.

My question is, what was the thing all about? The national day is supposedly in August so I don't know.
Rehearse starts early. Lots of fireworks before August too.

7/11 should be 24/7, not sure why that store closed so early.

spiritfox

Most stores close around 10-11, though they tend to open later on Fridays and weekends. 7-11s are supposed to be 24hrs though, unless the mall itself is shutting down for the night.

Also, we have lots of rehersals for National Day. In fact, many are open to public because we can't fit them all on the day itself. It's rather silly if you think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom