• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zocano

I really want a mind twist reprint using the new invocation art so that I don't have to pick up the invocation

reprinting the $20+ praetors from New Phyrexia and Blightsteel Colossus seems like a shoe-in for Iconic Masters.

red13th

Demonic Tutor would be a great reprint yes, it's super iconic, hell the effect of searching cards is named after it. I was surprised by how expensive it was back when I bought one for my cube since it was reprinted twice in Divine vs Demonic and Duel Deck Anthology. I paid $20 and it looks like it's up to $35 now.

In other news, the Reserved List buyouts are becoming a bit ridiculous. Just random mediocre/bad RL cards are going up and seemingly at an increased rate. Sure, they come back down some but generally not to where they were before. I wonder if this sort of stuff might be finally gets WotC to at least relax the list. If they want to keep stuff like the P9 on it then fine but no one in their right mind cares about if (finds random crappy RL card) Roc of Kher Ridges can be reprinted.

Play Design - Making History at Grand Prix Minneapolis
* They only had a few weeks to test Hour of Devastation with the new rotation, where Battle for Zendikar was still in Standard.
* Their zombie decks all splashed white, since Grasp of Darkness and Kalitas weren't in Standard. This meant they didn't play Relentless Dead, were lower to the ground, and had less Liliana's Mastery.
* Red decks were more midrange and heavily played Hazoret's Monument. This in turn led to more Fiery Temper and Insult // Injury.
* Reanimator was also big in FFL, so Melissa was happy to have a lot of insight when it appeared during the GP.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
30753512.jpg

Is this book worth reading?

Zocano

I built my affinity deck and everything but I rarely run modern at fnm just cause I enjoy sealed so much. Feel like I'm not making much use of the money I spent on the deck but at least it's eternal and I don't imagine there will be an affinity ban ever really.

I say this just cause it's fnm again and I am stuck between doing more sealed or doing modern at my lgs. 🤔

bigkrev

30753512.jpg

Is this book worth reading?

I read the original version of it 2 years ago (So You Wear a Cape? was released on Kindle in 2015, which led to him getting a book deal), and really enjoyed it. It heavily focuses on earlier stuff though- the Hasbro sale is really the "end point" of the book, but it does go into lots of stuff about the internet and the lives people from early on in Pro Tour history are living right now

bigkrev

I built my affinity deck and everything but I rarely run modern at fnm just cause I enjoy sealed so much. Feel like I'm not making much use of the money I spent on the deck but at least it's eternal and I don't imagine there will be an affinity ban ever really.

I say this just cause it's fnm again and I am stuck between doing more sealed or doing modern at my lgs. 🤔

The only ban the deck can ever eat is Opal, and it would probably reduce the deck to valueless overnight, as nothing else in the deck has application anywere else in Magic

You could still play arcbound ravager in vintage shops.

You'd think they'll print a card one of these days that leads to a mox opal ban.

Does Walking Ballista see play in affinity? Should be amazing to finish someone off.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I read the original version of it 2 years ago (So You Wear a Cape? was released on Kindle in 2015, which led to him getting a book deal), and really enjoyed it. It heavily focuses on earlier stuff though- the Hasbro sale is really the "end point" of the book, but it does go into lots of stuff about the internet and the lives people from early on in Pro Tour history are living right now

Cool; sold. And thanks!

y2dvd

Iconic Masters got me thinking, what cards are you sentimental to? Even though my sultai commander is now Tasigar, it started out as Mimeoplasm and I refuse to trade it away.

BG infect was probably my first constructed deck, so Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon is another card I loved. Unfortunately, I traded it away, but I would love to grab ahold of another copy.

Iconic Masters got me thinking, what cards are you sentimental to? Even though my sultai commander is now Tasigar, it started out as Mimeoplasm and I refuse to trade it away.

BG infect was probably my first constructed deck, so Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon is another card I loved. Unfortunately, I traded it away, but I would love to grab ahold of another copy.

Plated Slagwurm for me. Dirt simple card but some combination of luck, Elvish Piper, and a couple choice pieces of equipment made it close out a stunning number of kitchen table games in Highschool.

Iconic Masters got me thinking, what cards are you sentimental to?
Flameblast Dragon. He was the star in my intro deck.There's also Chandra's Spitfire made me more interested in Prowess cards when I finally got back into magic months ago and holds a special place in my heart.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I loooooooooooooved Llanowar Sentinal as a kid, and haven't stopped loving it since.

Image.ashx

That or Kird Ape.

Joe Molotov

I wouldn't mind getting a nice new Lightning Bolt. I remember people thinking Ranumap Ruins art was a reprinted Lightning Bolt, and then when it was revealed it was like "ewww, look at this shit card" lol.

Tunoku

I wouldn't mind getting a nice new Lightning Bolt. I remember people thinking Ranumap Ruins art was a reprinted Lightning Bolt, and then when it was revealed it was like "ewww, look at this shit card" lol.

And then it turned out to be incredible and format defining. We are so bad at evaluating cards.

Bandini

I didn't start playing Magic until 2013, so I have no idea of what Standard looked like before then, but I can definitely play this UB Faeries deck. Flashback Standard was a really good idea.

Are you saying the weeks of "this is a low value shit set!" might have been a bit premature?
Dunno bout you but this is the least involved I've been with a set since I stopped playing during Theros and returning full time with Origins.

1 reluctant sealed event and like 4 cards I needed for Standard, which I played exactly once with too. Was fortunate enough to get everything I wanted for EDH from the limited amount of packs I opened.

As far as I'm concerned it's still the unequivocal truth.

Justin

Dunno bout you but this is the least involved I've been with a set since I stopped playing during Theros and returning full time with Origins.

1 reluctant sealed event and like 4 cards I needed for Standard, which I played exactly once with too. Was fortunate enough to get everything I wanted for EDH from the limited amount of packs I opened.

As far as I'm concerned it's still the unequivocal truth.

Limited is amazing in this set and you are missing out if you are not playing it. So much fun.

HoD limited is so hard. But I've been enjoying it a ton.

Tip for HOD drafting. Take the best card in each pack, pick up a desert or two and one or two mana fixers. Have fun!

Tunoku

3-5 color good stuff is great, but when too many people are eager to draft the deck and unable to read the situation, the deck quality gets worse and people end up with not enough mana fixing and/or payoff. UR aggro is also very strong and fun to play.

Are you saying the weeks of "this is a low value shit set!" might have been a bit premature?

It's on track to be something like DTK, where people call it bad at release and then it turns out to be surprisingly deep with real tournament cards. The end result of that is generally that the value of the set starts out much lower but stays pretty steady over time and maybe ticks up a little later in the Standard cycle.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question: At this point should I wait for the Sept. expansion to buy a Planeswalker deck, or get an HoD one now?

Quick question: At this point should I wait for the Sept. expansion to buy a Planeswalker deck, or get an HoD one now?
If you're worried about rotation, that won't happen for Amonkhet and Hour of Devastation until Fall 2018. So go ahead and buy it if you're interested.

Wichu

If you're worried about rotation, that won't happen for Amonkhet and Hour of Devastation until Fall 2018. So go ahead and buy it if you're interested.

Yep. If you're still playing Standard at that point, you've probably long outgrown a Planeswalker Deck anyway :p

red13th

My sentimental card is Umezawa's Jitte hands down. It was the powerhouse card back I started playing again during Ravnica's release, but I was a broke college student and couldn't afford it. I looked everywhere for Rat's Nest precons for a Jitte, but they were obviously sold out everywhere or jacked up in price.
My husband (then boyfriend) actually managed to buy one for his brother and I would borrow it when he wasn't playing. One day I was passing by a newsstand close to where I used to live and it had a Rat's Nest precon for sale at retail price! I bought it immediately and finally I had my own Jitte. It's the copy that I still have it in my cube after more than a decade and the only Portuguese card in the cube.

Zocano

Did modern; 3-1 with affinity, lost a game I shouldn't have cause I messed up some interactions cause it's been a bit since I ran it and I was exhausted. Stupid misplays but oh well.

Honestly second guessing cause I love limited so much and the speed of modern (and me running affinity) makes me feel like I enjoy it less. Mostly because I often stomp in 3 turns and don't often get as much fun back and forth as I do in limited. I looooove doing the combat math for affinity tho so I am torn.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I haven't mentioned it before, but a guy who was basically an adult mentor figure to me in high-school finally realized his dream of opening an LGS/comic store like a year ago and its an awesome store and people seem to really love it and I just spent several hours wandering GenCon with him and he just seems super happy and I'm really happy for him

Joba62x

Neo Member
If your looking to pick up the Hour of Devastation Planeswalker decks walmart has both Nissa + Bolas for 17.69 and free shipping or ship to store, I bought them at 19.51 ( I guess they just lowered them) and had to pay tax so it came to 20 something and shipped to my house. You get 4 packs, a $12 value plus the decks so its really not a bad deal , the foil Bolas has value. I hit a Doomsday invocation too so that was not bad. Not the worst $20 I have spent on magic. Just search the .com for the word hour they pop right up.

PsionBolt

Iconic Masters got me thinking, what cards are you sentimental to?

3rg9gvY.jpg
ar94FWG.jpg

Goldenglow Moth and Tome Scour. I stopped playing Magic for a long while after Onslaught block; one of the first events I played when I came back to the game was an M11 draft, where I fell in love with these cards. My deck was pretty much a pile of moths and scours -- you can pick up quite a few copies of a card when no one else at the table would even consider playing it -- and I had a really fun time. (I did have a couple of Aether Adepts and such to make the games at least close to winnable, but the main strategy of the pile was undeniably durdle-mill.) I didn't do particularly well, but every game was enjoyable, and if not for that draft, I probably wouldn't have gotten back into Magic after so long.

Wulfric

Did pretty good this week, 3-0 in weekday legacy and 2-1 at FNM. Death and Taxes still gives me trouble sometimes, I misplay quite a bit with Flickerwisp. Pulled a Noble Hierarch for my troubles, so I'll probably trade it for a pimp foil or something.

Repgnar

Are a lot of the standard staples that are at a reasonable price right now going to go up temporarily (1-2 sets) when the rotation happens or are they already priced at their value? With less cards available to choose from I'm just wondering if the really solid cards will get a boost in price and if I should be picking some stuff up in the next week.

Are a lot of the standard staples that are at a reasonable price right now going to go up temporarily (1-2 sets) when the rotation happens or are they already priced at their value? With less cards available to choose from I'm just wondering if the really solid cards will get a boost in price and if I should be picking some stuff up in the next week.

I mean, obviously it depends on whether the new incoming cards significantly change the meta or it just continues to be mostly a pile of junk Kaladesh cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom