• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

??IV 3D remake to DS

thefro

DeaconKnowledge said:
I thought my query about V would have indicated that I never played IV.

From all that i've heard, V was where they got the balance right, and VI was were they perfected it.

V's a good game and the job system is great (and thusly it has better gameplay than IV), but IV's well balanced and has a much better story than V (so much so that it's an RPG archetype these days).

In general:

1-3-5 = gameplay based FFs
2-4-6 = story based FFs

Odysseus

Banned
Pureauthor said:
At least SE does us the favour of slapping the same name onto the same game so we know what we're setting ourselves up for. :lol

yeah, there is that

+1 for honesty
-1000 for milkage

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Odysseus said:
holy crap square, stop making the same games over and over again

we already have one nintendo

To my utter surprise Sega hasn't jumped on this bandwagon.

They could easily do a "SquareEnix" and a million copies of the same thing.

Pureauthor said:
What about the FFIX remake?!

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE FFIX REMAKE?!?

Dreamcast 2

itsme

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
You have to realize that you're part of the problem.
Yes, and no. I've been thinking the storyline of FF4 was the best and it deserved 3d make over. I wish it were for PS3 or 360 for the full HD glory, but I'll take it.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It's in Japanese! It MUST be true!

This is just a random blog on a blog site. It's either heavily mistranslated, or totally fabricated. News of this caliber wouldn't be broken on the Japanese version of Livejournal.

while I am happy about this as I never played FFIV, Square needs to stop jerking off to its past self, release new things even if they wont be stellar, you bastards.

Brofist

Jonnyram said:
After they've totally run FF into the ground, and done ports/remakes of every game for every system, do you think they'll start digging into DQ or is that more sacred?

start? there have been quite a few DQ spin offs, side games etc.. already

I wonder if Square will get the same flak for double-dipping on a franchise that Activision is/did for Friend or Foe. The circumstances are a bit different, but the principle is the same.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
vareon said:
Now I need a full 3D remake of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Or maybe not.
MQ is actually an awesome game. Do it, Square.
kpop100 said:
start? there have been quite a few DQ spin offs, side games etc.. already
But teh remakes! We got DQIX announcement and the VI remake is neither here nor there!

I'd go for it. FFIV has been a top personal fave since first play on FF2 SNES, and FFIV Advance only reinforced that (despite the glitches). Cecil, Kain, Rosa, etc are essentially the definitive FF characters to me.

Plus, the FF3 engine is well-tuned...

Although come to think of it, I would prefer to see Cecil and company appear as properly proportioned, realistically-shaped characters more than what FF3 offered, but oh well.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Pureauthor said:
Would you take a new IP instead? IAWW...

3397790037.jpg

This was a good start.

BuckRobotron said:
I'd go for it. FFIV has been a top personal fave since first play on FF2 SNES, and FFIV Advance only reinforced that (despite the glitches). Cecil, Kain, Rosa, etc are essentially the definitive FF characters to me.

Plus, the FF3 engine is well-tuned.

It could use some more refining.

THEY JUST PORTED THE BLOODY GAME TO THE GBA FOR GOD'S SAKES!

Who am I kidding, I'm gonna buy it and they know it! Now hurry up with FF5-9 DS!

Jonnyram said:
After they've totally run FF into the ground, and done ports/remakes of every game for every system, do you think they'll start digging into DQ or is that more sacred?
Haven't DQ remakes and spinoffs been common for a lot longer than FF? Though FF is outpacing it now.

If this report is true, it's the second actual FF remake (as opposed to port), while there have been 1-3 remakes each of Dragon Quests I, II, III, IV, V. In an earlier time where the only proper FF spinoffs were Mystic Quest and Tactics, DQ had entire spinoff subseries in Torneko and Monsters.

Brofist

Jonnyram said:
I know that, but it was never anything like the current FF barrage.

true. yeah I supposed they have been a little more gentle with the DQ name. Although I wouldn't mind seeing some more DQV caliber remakes of DQ games.

Anyway if this is true, and that's a big ole if, I welcome it. Haven't played or bought any version since the original SFC game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Jonnyram said:
I know that, but it was never anything like the current FF barrage.

it will never be that way as long horii lives...

Aeana

cw_sasuke said:
it will never be that way as long horii lives...

This is the truth. Horii has said several times that he only remakes a Dragon Quest game when he is sure that he can give the player a genuinely improved experience over the original game.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
The awesome thing about remake rumors is that I can't lose!

Zweisy1

holy crap square, stop making the same games over and over again

we already have one nintendo

Square Enix makes Nintendo's milking look lightweight in comparison... Only developer/publisher that compares to SE milkage wise is Koei with their endless Musou games.

M3d10n

Remaking any 16-bit FF on anything more powerful than the DS with 3D graphics is... a dream. A hopeless one.

It would cost too much money. A FFIV, V or VI port with Crisis Core graphics would cost much more and take much longer to do than Crisis Core itself.

The DS is the only way they can upgrade the graphics while retaining an old-school feeling (chibi characters, tiled world map, etc) and be able to boast that they have some of the best graphics on the platform at the same time. So deal with it.

Rufus

Troidal said:
And even on a more important note FFXII International????!!! Woooooo!!!!
12 new license boards!!!!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHH SHIIIITTTTT!!!!
Just saw that too.

WTH? Does that mean there'll be - Jobs? Each with it's own Licence Board? Sound intriguing, since I hated the normal License Board.

pswii60 said:
So what is that Disdeia game or whatever it was? I thought that was the DS FF game, not IV?
Dissidia is PSP, and if that blog speaks the truth, it's a fighting game featuring Final Fantasy characters from different games.

Matix

pswii60 said:
So what is that Disdeia game or whatever it was? I thought that was the DS FF game, not IV?

From the other SE fap fest...

Jonnyram said:
Woot... FFXII International :)
Now I can play with the awesome English voice-acting.
Dissidia sounds like a wash, however. Ehrgeiz reborn indeed.

Crisis Core in autumn and a DS remake of FFIV. Nice.

Dissidia:
Characters from the FF series do battle on 3D fields... genre is versus action.
Cosmos and Chaos are the two gods of Light and Dark
First chars revealed are Warriors of Light from FFI, Zitan from FFIX.
Also there will be Garland and Kuja.
That's all the blog says.

iQue

I´m currently playing FF3 (EU release) for the DS and it´s great. I think i will pick up this, too :)

Hcoregamer00 said:
It could use some more refining.

Indeed. Being well-tuned still leaves room for improvement, as I expect them to do for a newer game on the engine and responding to the known issues with FF3.

RevenantKioku

Rufus said:
Just saw that too.

WTH? Does that mean there'll be - Jobs? Each with it's own Licence Board? Sound intriguing, since I hated the normal License Board.
Unlock the LBs like you unlock the Mist Knacks (i.e. character restrictions) and I'd be interested. Still doesn't fix a lot of the game's problems. But I'd be very interested.
shaft said:
holy shit. I was almost gonna play 4 on GBA. I'll wait for this one kthnxbye.
Do both! Shit, I'm tempted to go replay IV and V right now.

Top Bottom