• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Community Thread |OT| For all the Digidestined on GAF

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I dunno, I just feel like Tamers is a bit too, in layman's terms, "try hard" in the subject. Like it feels more apt in a different anime.

I honestly feel Monster Rancher did the depressing, grim stuff in mons setting much better.

I dunno, I just feel like Tamers is a bit too, in layman's terms, "try hard" in the subject. Like it feels more apt in a different anime.

I honestly feel Monster Rancher did the depressing, grim stuff in mons setting much better.

It's all relative- coming off from the previous season where killing Digimons was some kind of taboo, going into Tamers I was like "Yea! Kill them all!"

Everyone's allow one edgy childhood show =p

It's all relative- coming off from the previous season where killing Digimons was some kind of taboo, going into Tamers I was like "Yea! Kill them all!"

Everyone's allow one edgy childhood show =p

It felt so out of place in 02 too. Plus I don't think there was a reason why the Digimon they killed near the end wouldn't turn back into eggs like all them did in season 1. In Savers there was at least a decent reason why they wouldn't turn back into eggs.

Boss Doggie

Personally when comparing the two most loathed seasons (02 and YH) I go towards YH more. Primarily because of Gumdramon.

Also in Xros Wars lots of Digimon die and they don't turn into eggs. People say "well they can be revived anyway!" but the thing is, the stuff that can revive them is the thing the armies are fighting for.

Stuart444

It felt so out of place in 02 too. Plus I don't think there was a reason why the Digimon they killed near the end wouldn't turn back into eggs like all them did in season 1. In Savers there was at least a decent reason why they wouldn't turn back into eggs.

Is it implied that Digimon in Adventure when killed in the real world don't turn back into Digieggs. (and there was a few of them killed in the real world in 02)

Is it implied that Digimon in Adventure when killed in the real world don't turn back into Digieggs. (and there was a few of them killed in the real world in 02)

I think it's because once they are in the real world they're organic and not digital. So they can't be reborn. I think Frontier follows these rules as well.

Btw it was a theory that Frontier was the prequel to Adventure. I wonder if that still holds weight

I-hate-u

I think it's because once they are in the real world they're organic and not digital. So they can't be reborn. I think Frontier follows these rules as well.

Btw it was a theory that Frontier was the prequel to Adventure. I wonder if that still holds weight

It doesn't hold weight, but its a missed opportunity on Frontier writers' part. It was said in Adventure that the 8 kids were not the first chosen children, and they even showed six silhouettes aka the size of the Frontier cast in that one screen. Not to mention, spirits used in Frontier, like AncientGreymon, are the roots of the Greymon evolution line. Like wise with the other spirits and the evolution lines of the Adventure Digimon.

How cool would it have been if they had linked both universes together, and showed some scenes of a digi-egg appearing in Taichi's room at the end of the Frontier series?

Boss Doggie

Pretty much how I think about it. I only go with what's explicitly said and/or shown.

That is what has been explicitly shown (the series being standalones outside of A/02, even with Ryo "crossing" over it just means a multiverse exists).

I think the dub did something in Tamers to imply it's a single universe?

That is what has been explicitly shown (the series being standalones outside of A/02, even with Ryo "crossing" over it just means a multiverse exists).

The adventure+02 seasons are a cartoon in the tamers universe.
It's confirmed in the latest seasons finale where takato notes seeing s01 tai and Davis together is awesome or something- this was in the Japanese version so it's canon.

Boss Doggie

The adventure+02 seasons are a cartoon in the tamers universe.
It's confirmed in the latest seasons finale where takato notes seeing s01 tai and Davis together is awesome or something- this was in the Japanese version so it's canon.

Yeah I know it's that, but I was thinking the dub added something like "this happened many years ago" or some shit?

Tamers is by far my favorite season followed by Adventures 01 and Adventures 02, i have disliked all the seasons since (*Crosses fingers for Tri*).

Favorite Digimon: Guilmon

Boss Doggie

Hmm probably misheard of it then.

My favorite is Xros Wars and Savers (one has a strength over the other so I put them both as first to balance each other), with Adventures a second.

Though to be honest, lately I only like Adventures for the monsters. The characters don't really feel... great to me, and felt like the cast could be cut in half and simply attribute the characters of the cut cast towards existing ones.

I-hate-u

Speaking of Ryo, I would love if Namco re-explores the Wonderswan games, at least from a story prospective in a video game form. The Ryo/Ken relationship, and the whole multiverse is very intriguing to me.

Revisiting V-Tamer is not a with Taichi is welcome as well.

Tamers is by far my favorite season followed by Adventures 01 and Adventures 02, i have disliked all the seasons since (*Crosses fingers for Tri*).

Favorite Digimon: Guilmon

b2ny89e.gif

Hmm probably misheard of it then.

My favorite is Xros Wars and Savers (one has a strength over the other so I put them both as first to balance each other), with Adventures a second.

Though to be honest, lately I only like Adventures for the monsters. The characters don't really feel... great to me, and felt like the cast could be cut in half and simply attribute the characters of the cut cast towards existing ones.

Savers has the best non-partner Digimon by far. Mercurimon and Craniummon are better than any non-partner Digimon in any other series.

Kanhir

Best team is clearly Ryo and (game spoilers)
Milleniummon. Such an abusive relationship.

I've just started replaying the Ryo games lately, but the Wonderswan suffers so much from a lack of backlight.
Anyone else play these?

Boss Doggie

Savers has the best non-partner Digimon by far. Mercurimon and Craniummon are better than any non-partner Digimon in any other series.

Xros and Savers generally have best non-"partner" Digimon because the setting and story involves them. BanchouLeomon and Apollomon were hype. And /m/ had fun with Olegmon.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
That moment when you find out Guilmon = Goku. Flipping through anime on Hulu and wanted to check out DBZ sub voices, and realized that Goku's voice was very very unique and familiar... Oh it's Guilmon? Ok :p

Hmm, so I've been contemplating doing some Digimon rankings for awhile, so I think I'll try and get this stuff written down.

A few series I haven't seen in a few years, although I'm trying to do a full rewatch of everything (if I can ever survive the rest of 02), so some of this stuff is based on older memories.

What follows are the 100% official and correct rankings for all Digimon related things. Disagree if you want, but know that I have the mandate of Yggdrasil on my side.

Show rankings:
1. Digimon Tamers
2. Digimon Savers
3. Digimon Adventure
4. Digimon Xros Wars
(good show line)
5. Digimon Adventure 02
6. Digimon Xros Wars: The Young Hunters Who Leapt Through Time
7. Digimon Frontier

I think this is pretty self-explanatory. The top three are all amazing, although I think Tamers stands a head above the rest. Konaka really wrote some magnificent scripts for that series, and it gets dark in some very unpredictable ways. Savers was an interesting take on Digimon as well, skewing maybe a little older than the original shows did, and developing some great characters. It gave us some great characters, and some really good arcs. Adventure is, well, the original. The characters are fantastic, and the second half of the show is really incredible. I rewatched the whole thing in just a single week earlier this year, and I feel like it really stands up. Xros Wars starts out slow, but then it gets pretty good in the second half. Had all of Xros Wars been on par with the Death Generals arc I think it would have been a show that you could put on the same level as Adventure. Even with the poor start, I still really enjoyed the show. It just was really dragged down at the start by Akari and Zenjirou being terrible characters and a lot of the episodes being formulaic.

Those last three...well, at least they tried? Actually, I'm not sure anyone was trying with Hunters at all. I'm not sure if I should credit them for getting a show to air without a series writer, or punish them for airing a show with no series writer. What were they thinking?

And somehow I still hate Frontier more.

Movie Rankings:
1. Our War Game
2. Digimon Adventure
3. Digimon Hurricane Touchdown!! Supreme Evolution!! The Golden Digimentals
4. Digital Monster X-Evolution
5. Runaway Digimon Express
6. The Adventurers' Battle
7. Diablomon Strikes Back
8. Revival of the Ancient Digimon
9. Ultimate Power! Activate Burst Mode!!

God fuck that Savers movie so hard. What a crushing disappointment it was.

Aside from that, most movies are at least watchable. The Top 3 really stand out for me. 1 and 2 have had their praises sung by everyone, but I really want to praise what Shigeyasu Yamauchi did with the third movie. It's one of the most unique Digimon experiences, and it's a very good one. I've always felt that Yamauchi is a very underrated director. Movie 3 also had a really sensational soundtrack. I could listen to some of those songs forever.

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember enjoying X-Evolution quite a bit, although I'm not sure if that was just down to it being a new Digimon thing at a point where I'd given up hope.

To be honest, I don't really remember a whole lot about what I felt about Diablomon Strikes Back, The Adventurers' Battle or Revival of the Ancient Digimon right now. I need to really see them again to refresh my memories.

Characters:
1. Mimi
2. Ruki
3. Ikuto
4. Koushirou
5. Masaru
6. Takato
7. Jenrya
8. Ken
9. Nene
10. Taichi

Main character ranking: Masaru>Takato>Taichi>Taiki>Takuya>Daisuke>>>>>>>>>Tagiru

I think everyone who has ever set foot on this earth can agree to Mimi being the greatest fictional character of all time. After that, we have a bunch of other pretty good characters. I had to make some tough cuts to get down to 10 characters, and I'm sure I've made some snubs with this list. Ken was really one of the few good parts of 02.

Ruki and Ikuto both had the best arcs in their respective shows, and they really were big parts of both shows being so great. I've empathized a lot with Koushirou since I was a kid. I'm sure a lot of other nerdy kids who grew up watching Digimon felt the same way as me. And who can't like Masaru running around punching Digimon? The dude took on a freaking Royal Knight.

Partner Digimon:
1. Tailmon
2. Renamon
3. Terriermon
4. Tentomon
5. Palmon
6. Wormmon
7. Falcomon
8. Mervamon
9. Guillmon
10. Piyomon

There have been a lot of great Digimon over the years, so this list has some glaring admissions. But I can't have anyone except Tailmon at the top of the list. She had such a great arc that really resonated with me. Renamon was also a really strong character. I mean, who can say no to any of these Digimon?

Villains:
1. Vamdemon
2. Kurata
3. Piemon
4. Yggdrasil
5. Lillithmon
6. Pinochimon
7. Devimon
8. Cherubimon (Vice)
9. Mugendramon
10. Etemon

I think everyone can agree that Vamdemon was the best Digimon villain of all time. What an evil dick. The Vamdemon arc was definitely the high point of the original series. Kurata was one of the most delightfully evil villains in the entire franchise. And finally we get a human who is just unrepentantly evil rather than simply being manipulated by an evil Digimon.

Cherubimon in Movie 3 really hit the perfect balance of being both amazingly sinister and strangely sympathetic.

Not appearing on this list: Any of those terrible villains from 02.

Supporting Digimon:
1. BanchouLeomon
2. Ogremon
3. Wizarmon
4. Impmon
5. Craniummon
6. Andromon
7. Mercurimon
8. Chuumon
9. Culumon
10. Leomon (Adventure)

BanchouLeomon speaks for himself. What a guy. I think all of these characters are ones that anyone will instantly remember and have a strong reaction to. Ogremon had a great arc, and Wizarmon is probably involved in one of the most iconic moments of the original series. And who can possibly hate Impmon?

Openings Ranking:
1. The Biggest Dreamer
2. Butter-Fly
3. FIRE!!
4. Hirari
5. GOUing! Going! My Soul!
6. Never Give Up
7. Target ~ Akai Shougeki
8. New World
9. Stand Up

You really can't go wrong with Digimon openings in general. Stand Up isn't great, so unlike FIRE!! it doesn't have redeeming value for the show itself, but even the weakest Digimon opening still isn't bad, and most of the others are genuinely great songs.

Endings:
1. My Tomorrow
2. Itsumo Itsudemo
3. Keep On
4. I Wish
5. Days ~ Aijou to Nichijou
6. One Star
7. Ashita wa Atashi no Kaze ga Fuku
8. Mujaki na Mama de
9. An Endless Tale
10. Ryuusei

Digimon has had some amazing endings over the years, especially those that Ai Maeda has sung. The Top 3 are all just about perfect, and most other endings are pretty great. Even some of the lower ones on the list feel very nostalgic to me. I've always been disappointed that Xros Wars didn't have endings due to TV Asahi being dumb.

Insert songs:
1. One Vision
2. Brave Heart
3. We Are Xros Heart ver. X7
4. Slash!!
5. Evo
6. Beat Hit!
7. We Are Xros Heart
8. Evolution and Digixros ver. Taiki
9. Believer
10. Evolution and Digixros ver. Kiriha
11. Break Up!
12. With the Will
13. The Last Element

Obviously there have been some other great songs used in Digimon, such as Seven, but I wanted stick to the songs we think of first, mostly the evolution songs, as well as other power up songs that get used throughout the whole series.

One Vision will probably always remain the best. How can you not get hyped up hearing that song? Brave Heart is of course the original, and it's always going to be very special to me. And man, We Are Xros Heart ver. X7 still gets me so pumped up. It's like the stuff of Digimon fanfiction with the different singers.

Image songs:
1. Dark Wing (Devimon
2. Ore wa Ogremon
3. Super Girl (Mimi)
4. My Style (Ruki)
5. Crash de Bingo (Miyako)
6. Version Up (Koushirou)
7. Chigau Boku ga Iru (Jou)
8. Tomadoi (Mimi)
9. Watashi no Mirai (Shuichon)
10. Itsu Demo Aeru Kara (Mimi)
11. Yuuki o Tsubasa Nishite (Taichi)
12. Happy Smile (Mimi and Palmon)
13. Sora iro no Kaze (Sora)
14. Love Serenade (Etemon)
15. Lets' Gotsumon, Pumpmon

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of really great ones, but these are just the first ones that came to my mind. Digimon has had so many amazing insert songs over the years. I've probably listened to some of them hundreds of times in my life, and they feel to me just as much a part of Digimon as anything from the show's themselves. These songs feel like a real extension of the characters to me, and they go a long way towards shaping how I've interacted with these characters over the last fifteen years.

Well, I think I've rambled quite a bit about Digimon now. I've always had a really special place in my heart for this franchise, and I had fun putting these lists together.

That moment when you find out Guilmon = Goku. Flipping through anime on Hulu and wanted to check out DBZ sub voices, and realized that Goku's voice was very very unique and familiar... Oh it's Guilmon? Ok :p

Yeah, I always think of Nozawa as Guillmon first and Goku second.

Stuart444

I won't go over all this so I'll just say this, I have never agreed AND disagreed more with someone on Digimon than I have you.

Seriously, many of those I agree with while others I couldn't disagree more with.

I will say though, I don't know who I would rank higher, Vamdemon or Kurata. Both are just so evil.

Also Brave Heart + Believer FTW in terms of insert songs but most inserts have been pretty good in Digimon imo.

Frontier worse than Adventure 02? Man what...

I will say it's been over a decade since I've watched any of Frontier, I think. So it's possible that I'll soften on it on my rewatch.

I just remember absolutely despising it back in 2002-2003. I hated pretty much all the characters and thought the whole "people turning into Digimon" thing was really dumb.

02 gets real bad, but at least it has Ken, along with Episodes 13 and 23 which are genuinely great television. Frontier didn't even have that.

I won't go over all this so I'll just say this, I have never agreed AND disagreed more with someone on Digimon than I have you.

Seriously, many of those I agree with while others I couldn't disagree more with.

I will say though, I don't know what I would rank higher, Vamdemon or Kurata. Both are just so evil.

Also Brave Heart + Believer FTW in terms of insert songs but most inserts have been pretty good in Digimon imo.

Yeah, Brave Heart and Believer are both great. The insert songs have pretty much always been great in Digimon, so I found ranking them to be tough because almost anyone I could say is "one of my favorites". But when I get down to it, I can't put anything else above One Vision.

I will say it's been over a decade since I've watched any of Frontier, I think. So it's possible that I'll soften on it on my rewatch.

I just remember absolutely despising it back in 2002-2003. I hated pretty much all the characters and thought the whole "people turning into Digimon" thing was really dumb.

02 gets real bad, but at least it has Ken, along with Episodes 13 and 23 which are genuinely great television. Frontier didn't even have that.

Yeah, Brave Heart and Believer are both great. The insert songs have pretty much always been great in Digimon, so I found ranking them to be tough because almost anyone I could say is "one of my favorites". But when I get down to it, I can't put anything else above One Vision.

I hated the idea of removing partners in Frontier that I never gave it a chance when it came out. Went back and rewatched it a few years ago and it's pretty good outside of the last arc which is on par with the second half of 02 if not worse.

Boss Doggie

no Shoutmon and no DarkKnightmon makes Boss Doggie something something

Also no Flying Sky Warrior X5 and X4B ZA GUARDIAN in insert!!!

Anyway yeah, Frontier honestly should be given a chance. Feels like 02 gets too much leeway.

Ikuto top 3? C'mon son.

Also Frontier is decent. It has the second best Wolf character in Koji.

Yeah cast wasn't a strong point in Savers. Masaru and Ikuto were ok but Tohma and Yoshino weren't that good. My top 10 cast would probably be:

1. Rika
2. Koichi
3. Ken
4. Izzy
5. Henry
6. Koji
7. Tai
8. Masaru
9. Takuya
10. Joe

There's a pretty big drop off after the top 5 for me. Frontier doesn't get enough love for its cast. Everyone gets solid development and no character stands out at being really annoying.

Boss Doggie

Yeah outside of Masaru's family the characters are kinda lame.

Also people undersell Taiki a lot.

Anyway yeah, Frontier honestly should be given a chance. Feels like 02 gets too much leeway.

There is something about 02 that people just have a lot of nostalgic fondness for, I haven't pinned down what it is. (Ken? Armor evolution? BlackWarGreymon? Miyako?) It used to be my favorite before I rewatched it.

I started to like Frontier after I accepted there would be no Digimon partners. (Which was hard, because they are usually one of my favorite parts of the show.) I like the "spiritual" thing they had going on and the focus on the Celestial Digimon.

There's a pretty big drop off after the top 5 for me. Frontier doesn't get enough love for its cast. Everyone gets solid development and no character stands out at being really annoying.

I didn't like Izumi, but you're right about the others. Frontier had a good cast.

I was originally going to put both songs on the list, but I think I just blanked on them. Same goes for DarkKnightmon. I was going to put him on, but I went to do something else and forgot him. He definitely belongs; Xros Wars had great villains all around. Shoutmon was good, and he grew a lot, but I just have other Digimon who I like more.

In general I think Xros Wars is very underrated. I really enjoyed it after the rough start.

Ikuto top 3? C'mon son.

Also Frontier is decent. It has the second best Wolf character in Koji.

I liked Ikuto a lot. He had a great arc as far as main characters in Digimon go.

There is something about 02 that people just have a lot of nostalgic fondness for, I haven't pinned down what it is. (Ken? Armor evolution? BlackWarGreymon? Miyako?) It used to be my favorite before I rewatched it.

For me, I now recognize it to be pretty bad based on my rewatch, but I still have nostalgia for the era. 2000 and 02 airing represents me getting into Digimon. I can remember going to the Anime Intro Archive each week after the show aired in Japan to get the clips from the latest episode, and posting on Megchan's forum, and blaring Beat Hit in n the morning until my dad came in and told me it was time to go to school.

So I think I'll always have a fondness for the era, even though I now recognize that the show was bad.

Boss Doggie

Let's post something we like on a series we don't like.

It's Young Hunters spoilers, but honestly, this is Young Hunters.

ARRESTERDRAMON SUPERIOR MODE

my-movieporb1.gif

I already made a point that YH's sole redeeming factor is the lead digimon - Gumdramon. And his evolved form, Arresterdramon, is an amazing mon on his own. But man... everything makes sense in Arresterdramon after seeing the form. It really sucks that YH was an after-thought season because it had some neat ideas involving him. They were even hinting a lot more with his relationship to Shoutmon.

With that said... Shoutmon X7 still beats him and I think even OmegaShoutmon can school him just because it's fucking Shoutmon lol

Stuart444

I have made a small update to the op now with the info provided by Boss Doggie for Xros Wars. I know I've not added info on games or merchandise yet but I will get around to it soon enough.

I will also remove the netflix links once the shows have been taken off netflix next month :)

Boss Doggie

Sorry about the lack of news on Young Hunters summary, it's hard to make one for it because it's a drag. I'll get to it though!

Top Bottom