• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably won't do anything, specially if many publishers are making the console people do this in the first place.

I mentioned this in another thread but I think it's worth repeating because it seems like the entire world thinks this and it isn't the truth.

The reason that both Sony and Microsoft want a cut of used game sales is for themselves. Sony and Microsoft are both huge publishers. They sell a lot of games. So just on that alone them getting a cut of used games helps them. But more than that, every game sold on a playstation or xbox pays a licensing fee to Sony and Microsoft. So if this used game thing goes through they stand to make the most money. If it doesn't they stand to lose the most *potential* money. Does Activision and EA want this also? Of course they do. But this isn't a situation where EA and Activision strong armed MS and Sony into this. This is something that 10000000% benefits Sony and MS in actual money - not 'goodwill from publishers.'

And as such, if they are willing to let that revenue stream go, how could EA or Activision strong arm them? They know that Sony or MS wouldn't drop it unless they saw it as causing so much harm that everyone would lose money.

I don't know anyone at MS but my expectation is before all is said and done they also will have a similar used game policy to last gen. And the day that EA reintroduces their Online Pass is going to be hysterically awful for them.

Shinta

Banned
There is almost no chance that they care what a few dozen tweets say.

Or you could open your eyes and see that this issue is being covered across all gaming websites and tech websites, and almost none of it is positive. It's not just tweets. It's the collective voice of all the dissent combined that is having an effect.

Tweets only add to that. It's easy to do and we have insider information from someone specifically saying that they're reconsidering ... RIGHT NOW!

Minions

#PS4NoDRM would be better. Should be added to the title of this topic and it may have a chance of trending...

@yosp @jpkoller @luckylongworth @rohdescott @shanewatch @nsuttner No PS4 DRM! Used games, Free Online, No fee!! #PS4NoDRM #PS4USEDGAMES

I'm pretty sure Sony has made up their mind with or without GAF, as I'm sure they've weighed the MS backlash into account in general.

Sony can put a hurting on MS if they advertise no DRM. Is it not smarter to be DRM free, since more people would generally buy new games on the mentality that they can sell it if they don't like it?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Our JP gaffers need to get in on this as well. I don't know how well yosp speaks English, but getting concerns in his native tongue couldn't hurt.

DieH@rd

Banned
hippies-in-vanc9jnm.jpg

Boke1879

Or you could open your eyes and see that this issue is being covered across all gaming websites and tech websites, and almost none of it is positive. It's not just tweets. It's the collective voice of all the dissent combined that is having an effect.

Tweets only add to that. It's easy to do and we have insider information from someone specifically saying that they're reconsidering ... RIGHT NOW!

Exactly. maybe nothing will come of this, but we won't know unless we try. This week the internet came out in force against MS and their anti-consumer practices.

If we start by just tweeting these people. Some high level some not, but maybe it'll get the ball rolling. if this thread is successful enough maybe a news site will pick up on it and this things can spread.

Can't hurt to try.
It only takes like 5 seconds anyway, lol.

Which is why it won't matter. Asking people to sacrifice 5 seconds of their life doesn't signify anything. If people were really serious you would see more enthusiast gamers willing to boycott and not buy the systems. No, not buy used systems or games. No not make their GamerTag "SupportUsedGames420Xxxx", but flat out stop buying the systems, but we all know we won't. A majority of the people bitching will probably still line up on launch day and buy one or both of these systems and companies know this. Enough people are not really willing to put their money where there mouth is.

I mentioned this in another thread but I think it's worth repeating because it seems like the entire world thinks this and it isn't the truth.

The reason that both Sony and Microsoft want a cut of used game sales is for themselves. Sony and Microsoft are both huge publishers. They sell a lot of games. So just on that alone them getting a cut of used games helps them. But more than that, every game sold on a playstation or xbox pays a licensing fee to Sony and Microsoft. So if this used game thing goes through they stand to make the most money. If it doesn't they stand to lose the most *potential* money. Does Activision and EA want this also? Of course they do. But this isn't a situation where EA and Activision strong armed MS and Sony into this. This is something that 10000000% benefits Sony and MS in actual money - not 'goodwill from publishers.'

And as such, if they are willing to let that revenue stream go, how could EA or Activision strong arm them? They know that Sony or MS wouldn't drop it unless they saw it as causing so much harm that everyone would lose money.

I don't know anyone at MS but my expectation is before all is said and done they also will have a similar used game policy to last gen. And the day that EA reintroduces their Online Pass is going to be hysterically awful for them.

It's funny, because when it came to Online Passes, Sony even had them on their First Party games, while Microsoft didn't.

Shows you were Sony stood last gen on used games. They want their cut.

The only thing keeping Sony from blocking used games, was playing a waiting game to see if Microsoft did it themselves. I'm sure know that they know Microsoft will block used games, Sony is heavily considering it themselves.

Sony really gains nothing from NOT blocking used games. If they don't block used games while Microsoft does, guess who has the support of Publishers? Microsoft.

In a hypothetical, were Sony to drop their DRM idea, would this prevent publishers limiting used-games as we've already been told the PS4 will not require any connection to the net? Or could publishers find an alternative way -- beyond online authentication -- that could see them achieve the same goal?

Minions

It's funny, because when it came to Online Passes, Sony even had them on their First Party games, while Microsoft didn't.

The only thing keeping Sony from blocking used games, was playing a waiting game to see if Microsoft did it themselves. I'm sure know that they know Microsoft will block used games, Sony is heavily considering it themselves.

Sony really gains nothing from NOT blocking used games. If they don't block used games while Microsoft does, guess who has the support of Publishers? Microsoft.

Sony gains everything from not blocking used games. They get my money. Otherwise they don't. There are many people out there like me. Don't be so dense.

baekshi

Banned
Our JP gaffers need to get in on this as well. I don't know how well yosp speaks English, but getting concerns in his native tongue couldn't hurt.

It would be nice if someone can make a Japanese tweet for us. Not a google translated one.

Also small countries(mostly in Asia/Africa) would be affected by this where they have no respective online stores and such.
#PS4NODRM

What kind of support will that be? It's not like they are going to limit supporting the PS install base to any degree; they'd lose even more money that way

DBT85

Meh, with online passes I can actually see where they are coming from, you want to play on the servers, you pay for it. If not, you can still enjoy the fruits of single player and you can do what the fuck you want with your disk.

Which is why it won't matter. Asking people to sacrifice 5 seconds of their life doesn't signify anything. If people were really serious you would see more enthusiast gamers willing to boycott and not buy the systems. No, not buy used systems or games. No not make their GamerTag "SupportUsedGames420Xxxx", but flat out stop buying the systems, but we all know we won't. A majority of the people bitching will probably still line up on launch day and buy one or both of these systems and companies know this. Enough people are not really willing to put their money where there mouth is.
The thing is, it still shows concern. The point is to encourage Sony to not do this with the PS4 because there is enough time to change it, what's the point of a boycott if it releases with a DRM? That's when there's nothing we can try to do.

The op has flipped flopped some much this past week it's hard to take anything he/she says seriously.

First, a couple of days ago you said it was definitely it's happening, then you completely discredited your own sources right after by saying it could be a case of broken telephone and been funneled bad info. Now you've said it's changed and happening again. You've pretty much covered every angle so whatever the outcome would you won't be wrong.

And the fact that this decision is changes from week to week is also laughable. Whatever the reason Sony's doing it, either for their own monetary reasons, or to please publishers it's obviously going to be a big part of their road map and future plans with the console and a few bad articles on used games in a week is not going to change anything.

Sony gains everything from not blocking used games. They get my money. Otherwise they don't. There are many people out there like me. Don't be so dense.

No there aren't. Otherwise every other issue this gen that enraged hardcore gamers and set message boards on fire (DLC, DRM, online passes) would have influenced game sales, and they didn't. Most hardcore gamers are more bark than bite.

The thing is, it still shows concern. The point is to encourage Sony to not do this with the PS4 because there is enough time to change it, what's the point of a boycott if it releases with a DRM? That's when there's nothing we can try to do.

Re-read your statement. It essentially says "Man lets show Sony how much we hate DRM, but if they do it anyway oh well nothing we can do..." There IS something you can do, if you are that against it on principle, DON'T BUY THE SYSTEM! That is the most power you ACTUALLY have. Not annoying them with tweets. Not complaining about it on a message board pre-launch. Actually stand by your principles and don't buy the system. Even if that means you don't get to play The Last Guardian or Gran Turismo 7 or the Last of Us 2 and any other number of games you might really think are awesome. If you aren't willing to do that (and most gamers aren't), then Sony and the other co.'s have no reason to listen to your concerns.

Shinta

Banned
No there aren't. Otherwise every other issue this gen that enraged hardcore gamers and set message boards on fire (DLC, DRM, online passes) would have influenced game sales, and they didn't. Most hardcore gamers are more bark than bite.

They're far more vulnerable on a console launch. They have a lot to lose. They are listening.

DBT85

The op has flipped flopped some much this past week it's hard to take anything he/she says seriously.

First, a couple of days ago you said it was definitely it's happening, then you completely discredited your own sources right after by saying it could be a case of broken telephone and been funneled bad info. Now you've said it's changed and happening again. You've pretty much covered every angle so whatever the outcome would you won't be wrong.

And the fact that this decision is changes from week to week is also laughable. Whatever the reason Sony's doing it, either for their own monetary reasons, or to please publishers it's obviously going to be a big part of their road map and future plans with the console and a few bad articles on used games in a week is not going to change anything.

Mortimer is Famous. And reliable in what he says. It is known.

Speak for yourself, if there is one thing I'm amazing at it's not supporting shit I don't like.
I've ditched other brands and products in a heartbeat over way less than this.

What is wrong with people thinking of gamers as some kind of sad crack addicts?
And don't you understand that if something doesn't provide what you are looking for it is only natural to lose interest? It doesn't take effort to boycott something you despise.

ascii42

MS didn't have online passes because MS already charges to play online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom