• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions: $30 for paid version, Doom Slayer added, 6 new heroes by end of 2018

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If my computer could run Doom, it could run this, right?

Yeah.

1920.png

Accoun

Classic Q1 LG skin:
ec91112632.jpg

Classic Doom SSG skin:
cccd2a5d04.jpg

There should also be Q1 Nailgun/SNG skins, but I don't have pics of those.

boinx

Fucking hell I'm getting my ass handed to me. First match 14-9 was allrite then for the next 2 I went 5-18 and 5-20. I've always liked Quake even tho I was never very good, just never put the time in to get decent at it.

With that said, I'm still enjoying the game despite seemingly getting matchmade against veteran players. Can't really say yet for sure if I'm really digging the hero shooter design in my Quake tho.. I guess only time and more matches will tell.

Blu(e)

https://videocardz.com/72164/free-quake-champions-pack-with-radeon-rx-500ryzen-purchases

So Quake Champions is free with select Ryzen and Radeon GPU purchase! And of course I bought my Ryzen last night! Trying to get a key from AMD, but I might have to return it to Microcenter and repurchase.

Wonder if these would be steam keys or bethesda launcher keys. Would be cool if I can score a key for cheap. Seems like this key also comes with a AMD Ruby skin for Nyx.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The lore looks cool as hell. I stopped playing the beta like in May and it really seems they added quite a bit haha

luka

Loves Robotech S1
paid my $40 for the privilege of uninstalling bethesda.net - now when and how much can i pay to turn off the voices?

despite my issues with the game, it's still a lot of fun and worth supporting. surprised that it actually charted on steam already.

120v

so uh... no f2p yet? i'd be more than happy to try this out, even downloaded the bethesda launcher thinking it'd be an option

Accoun

so uh... no f2p yet? i'd be more than happy to try this out, even downloaded the bethesda launcher thinking it'd be an option

I think the F2P via Bethesda Launcher is only for people who played it in Closed Beta. Steam is for Character Pass owners only. They're supposed to open it up some day, but there was no date for it, so it might as well be at launch.

iddqd

Would have totally bought some cosmetics but the prices seem a bit nutty.
Might also just be me, never played anything with these kinds of transactions before.

The new maps seem great but a little bit too big for FFA.

And Doomguy, punching people to death with the fitting music is something else.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I suck at this game. Not feeling it. Refunded.

quake is not really something you can pick up and immediately understand because there hasn't been any real arena shooters in the collective consciousness for a long time. learning to route the maps, grab key items, and keep your stack up is probably the single biggest thing new players have to learn and even if your aim and movement is garbage it can make the difference between being terrible and competitive. item control is -huge- in quake.

if anyone else is having problems, just try making a mental note of where the mega health and both large armors are whenever you play a new map. Cycle around between them and the few key weapons (rocket/lightning/rail), and see just how much better you'll perform on average.

my second tip is to rebind all the weapons around the movement keys (i also put rl and lg on the mouse wheel).

renzolama

Matchmaking times seem unacceptable (several minutes sitting in queue repeatedly with no hits)...I chose "intermediate" skill, is this potentially the reason? I was hoping to hit the most common matchmaking rank but I guess everyone who bought it already must be l33t. I played in two CBT weekends and didn't have any matchmaking waits longer than 30 secs.

Matchmaking times seem unplayable (several minutes sitting in queue repeatedly with no hits)...I chose "intermediate" skill, is this potentially the reason? I was hoping to hit the most common matchmaking rank but I guess everyone who bought it already must be l33t. I played in two CBT weekends and didn't have any matchmaking waits longer than 30 secs.

I dunno, it usually takes me 1-3 minutes to find a match and I chose Beginner or whatever the first choice was. Doesn't seem to change much sometimes since I get put with people who mop the floor with my entire team.

ClumpSoul

Neo Member
Matchmaking times seem unplayable (several minutes sitting in queue repeatedly with no hits)...I chose "intermediate" skill, is this potentially the reason? I was hoping to hit the most common matchmaking rank but I guess everyone who bought it already must be l33t. I played in two CBT weekends and didn't have any matchmaking waits longer than 30 secs.

No its borked right now (put veteran as skill level), the last patch was MUCH better.

I would be playing it all night if it wasn't for the wait lol.

On another note, the shard count to buy classic weapon skins went through the roof, it was like 200 in the first beta, then like 600, now its 1200. Bethesda pls.

Sub_Level

How's the player base for this? There are only 730 people playing on Steam which seems...really bad.

I don't think there were numbers for the beta but yea its not popular.

They seem to be taking things slowly though and are committed to supporting it throughout all of 2018.

killroy87

They seem to be taking things slowly though and are committed to supporting it throughout all of 2018.

Weird, i thought brand alone would make this at least a mild success, especially at launch.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Im out of the loop.

So this game is f2p but early access is 30?

How do you guys think it would run on a i7 surface book performance base?

I havent played a pc game in years, but long time quake fan.

Weird, i thought brand alone would make this at least a mild success, especially at launch.

Yeah, I'm really hoping that more people will decide to pick it up or that it'll go F2P very soon and get a nice solid playerbase. I wonder if they're hoping that the Quake World Championships will help boost numbers.

Mechazawa

These queue times are still super abysmal. Even with the amount of people playing, it should not take 4 minutes to get into a match.

Sub_Level

So much shooter competition now. And being an arena shooter doesn't automatically get you players despite the positive internet reputation of the genre, not even one named Quake. If anything, Quake now has to re-carve a piece for itself to regain ground that has been lost since the wet fart that is Quake 4 (which came out like 10 years ago).

As long as its able to support itself in the long term and be its own little corner of the gaming world I'll be happy.

Top Bottom