• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Errr sorry I mean definitely no wipes!

Really wanted to try all the weapon combos for my necro, even though I won't be playing a necro
KuGsj.gif

Trey

Is it just me or is the sylvari silhouette next to your account name starting to get color? I don't recall the hair being green colored.

Sephirus

Like Arol I'd really like to dive into Ascalonian Catacombs, both Story and Explorable Mode.

If there are indeed character wipes, I don't know if I'll have enough time during the weekends to get to the point where I could run it. Though with everything else there is to do, I can't complain too much.

KaoticBlaze

well ferny and I just finished building my very first gaming rig and its running beautifully...im excited as hell to try it out on D3 and GW2 on the highest settings :)
next on the list is to build his in a couple of weeks :)

Teknoman

I hope I can jump on, but chances are i'll probably get home with just an hour left as well.

A Blizzard game at a discount? Surely you jest :p

IDK, maybe in the OT you'll find some sale or something. I'll probably buy it too... I'm in that limbo in which I say to myself, well why not? it's not like I won't enjoy the game, but on the other hand I remind myself of all the stuff I don't like about it: laggy SP game + no pause, RMAH, shitty designs and cartoony graphics, etc. and I stop myself from pulling the trigger. I had the store open all day long but I haven't done it yet. We'll see.

They are supposed to be adding an SP pause at launch I think.

Ferny

well ferny and I just finished building my very first gaming rig and its running beautifully...im excited as hell to try it out on D3 and GW2 on the highest settings :)
next on the list is to build his in a couple of weeks :)

It was a longer task than expected but it's running nice. Love the case as well. Plenty of space for all the items and plenty of room for wire management.

demolitio

Perfect day for the stress test since I have a depressing appointment with my doctor that afternoon. It's just too bad it takes 3 hours to get out of his damn office so I'm sure I'll have GW2 on my mind the whole time. :D

The one nice thing about being unemployed (permanently) is I have all the time in the world. The bad part is I don't have money to keep me occupied all that time, lol.

Trey

I asked this a long while ago and everyone dropped that boring ass stock answer of "I won't change a thing, Soule is amazing!" Anyways, what are you custom playlists looking like so far? I'm currently trying to figure out how to fit Raekwon's Cuban Linx in there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I asked this a long while ago and everyone dropped that boring ass stock answer of "I won't change a thing, Soule is amazing!" Anyways, what are you custom playlists looking like so far? I'm currently trying to figure out how to fit Raekwon's Cuban Linx in there.

Poisonous paragraphs smash your phonograph in half it be the Inspectah Deck on the warpath

zulfate

what! jeremy soule is amazing! i will never change it!

ok well so far i have

final fantasy XI to me had an adventuress feeling to it so this will be for roaming around or in town sometimes.

dark knight OST i would use some songs for the epic boss battles

but thats it so far i haven't decided what other songs i want for certain parts.

JonCha

So, the UK actually has an advantage for once.

3-1? I'll be able to play from 6/7. Not much, but enough. Almost pointless though.

Mastamind

Alright, I'm gonna have to do it. Putting in for a half-day monday too
KuGsj.gif

Any way to get D3 cheaper than teh retail?

A while back i got amazon.com to pricematch amazon.uk. Will be getting it for $45. Amazon.uk's price is higher now but still cheaper than retail(about $53).

Ashodin

Shit yeah I'll be on for that stress test. You better fuckin' believe it.

I'm gonna ROLL with bitches.

Gonna try out the engineer this time.

Jira

so to participate, all I gotta do is preorder is somewhere, right?

Pre-purchase(pay in full)

If you want a digital copy, get it from

http://buy.guildwars2.com

Note that it has been going in and out of stock as they want to keep the betas playable for those who've already purchased and you do have other alternatives like bestbuy.com or a physical copy from gamestop entirely assuming you're in North America.

Alex

I always thought FFXI had the best* MMO OST because it was just fun music, and not a small orchestral swell every few minutes

Music > soundtrack, thats one of my only real major complaints with modern gaming is the sound work is always trying too hard to be cinematic, even moreso than the narrative and visuals at times.

*Besides http://youtu.be/5X1gC3BLq2w

Jira

I always thought FFXI had the best* MMO OST because it was just fun music, and not a small orchestral swell every few minutes

Music > soundtrack, thats one of my only real major complaints with modern gaming is the sound work is always trying too hard to be cinematic, even moreso than the narrative and visuals at times.

*Besides http://youtu.be/5X1gC3BLq2w

One of my favorite things about FFXI was the music.

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
Good news for us Yuro-trash. It might be a working day, but if the strength of coffee is with me, I can pull it through until the bitter end on Monday.

Now comes the tough decision. Will I take my Char warrior further into the second zone, and experience that content, or try another class. Some of the crazy videos I saw of Engineers inspired me!

desverger

Really great time for us EU-people :(

May 14th, 21:00 to May 15th, 16:00 my local time. What do they think, that we don't sleep on monday nights and don't work on tuesday mornings? :p

Kem0sabe

From those that played the beta, is the game launch worthy as it stands? and if not, how many months till you think they have an excellent product to launch?

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
From those that played the beta, is the game launch worthy as it stands? and if not, how many months till you think they have an excellent product to launch?

The quality of the open beta was better then many other MMO's that launch.
Biggest issue for me was the low framerate during large PvP battles. The rest looked polished and finished to me.

Hackbert

midsummer release would be my bet at the moment. and given the CPU Core restrictions, it ran okay. Hopefully they take that one out for the next weekend, to get an impression on what goes really hardware-wise

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Uh...

- No Asura or Sylvari, effectively 40% of the race-based PvE content
- No direct experience with anything over level 30
- Significant optimization problems
- Mesmer still needs to an identity
- No word of what happens when people hit 80 beyond WvWvW and PvP
- No LFG finder (as TOR has shown, this is a pretty big thing)
- Were it up to me, combat would get a significant overhaul because right now it's definitely more boring than TERA and possibly even more boring than WoW depending on what you want out of MMO combat.

I mean, even leaving out all the balance work and such GW2 is nowhere near "ready to launch".

Hackbert

Uh...

- Mesmer still needs an overhaul

I mean, even leaving out all the balance work and such GW2 is nowhere near "ready to launch".

just cause the dont want to spoil these new races and areas, does not equal it is not ready. Possible, but no fact.
A lot of little fixes here and there. Whats broken about the mesmer? didnt play that class

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Uh...

- Were it up to me, combat would get a significant overhaul because right now it's definitely more boring than TERA and possibly even more boring than WoW depending on what you want out of MMO combat.

TBH I don't think LFG is a big thing for gw2, the vast majority of the content is open world, and all of the dungeons are compressed to what is essentially 8 area's. This also isn't a gear grind mmo, so you don't need to do that stuff. Most probably we'll get something similar to what he have in gw1.

It's not done due to optimization problems and loads of various bugs but that's really about it.

Haly

just cause the dont want to spoil these new races and areas, does not equal it is not ready. Possible, but no fact.
A lot of little fixes here and there. Whats broken about the mesmer? didnt play that class
That we don't know if Asura and Sylvari are ready or not means we can't make any judgements based on the game's ready state.

Mesmer's core mechanic is useless in lots of situations, awkward to use, clunky, does not provide enough utility or damage. Other problems include lack of cohesion between weapons, synergy, etc etc.

The list goes on...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That we don't know if Asura and Sylvari are ready or not means we can't make any judgements based on the game's ready state.

Mesmer's core mechanic is useless in lots of situations, awkward to use, clunky, does not provide enough utility or damage. Other problems include lack of cohesion between weapons, synergy, etc etc.

The list goes on, there's far too much to list here.

That's simply a random assumption you made, most probably they don't plan to do public tests with the asura and Sylvari, since as you Beta's tend to limit the amount of content you get to see since there's a load of non prepurchase players their too, so you can't really show off everything. Whether it's done or not we don't know but it's simply illogical to assume it isn't with no proof.

Mesmer issues really aren't that important, it'll probably get a thousand bumps and nerfs during it's lifetime, hell even the core mechanics of the dervish got completely altered a year after it's introduction, unless it's incredibad it's not a main for launch issue. Weapon synergy etc are things that should be worked on before launch again plenty will be done after too.

What's most important right now, would be bugs, game stability, and optimzations, that's really the main issues the game has.

Kem0sabe

Besides the lack of content to test and bugs (from what you guys are saying), what has me more worried is the report of poor performance, from my experience with TOR, a poor engine is a poor engine, no amount of post launch optimization will fix it.

For a game with large scale pvp as it´s end game, that has me worried.

Hopefully they will do an open weekend beta, so i can see how it runs on my computer.

More important than any of that tho, is it fun to play? are the quests and story writing good? I always play rpg´s for the story and character progression.

The game has lots of problems, but what does it matter when it is probably (in my case) the most "meaningful" online game in over a decade.
What I mean by meaningful is that the game is inherently more social in nature than almost anything out there.
It acheives this, not by forcing you to do things with others. On the contrary you can excel alone, and move around the world alone, but the game just becomes more with others.

It really is. Without a shadow of doubt, an amazing game. A game that needs turquing, tweaking, binching, slicing, darlings killed, optimization and much more. But the philosophy here? It's gun be guuud. reeeiiil guuuuuddddddddd.

Haly

That's simply a random assumption you made, most probably they don't plan to do public tests with the asura and Sylvari, since as you Beta's tend to limit the amount of content you get to see since there's a load of non prepurchase players their too, so you can't really show off everything. Whether it's done or not we don't know but it's simply illogical to assume it isn't with no proof.
I'm not assuming it isn't ready. I'm saying because we don't know if Asura/Sylvari are ready, we can't assume they are. And if we don't know that much, then we can't say GW2 is ready.

Not hard :\

My biggest issues are with Personal Story. I think it's quite weak and gives a bad first impression of a regular MMO.

Uh...

3) Yes. Optimization in this game is servere. But let's hope that the reported statements are true. Only one CPU core and no GPU used. Lets hope that once they do it, that performance will explode for all of us.

4) Mesmer? Mesmer has an identity! Mesmer just needs more to do with illusions and phanta? getting a few different conditions is not enough, and just exploding them is not enough. At least not when compared to the breathe of Necro and Ele!

5) What happens is that the game is finished, and you can no get scaled back down and do areas of the worlds you didnt do before, hunt achievements, do dungeons for show-off loot, explore the entire map(and other titles), wait for next expansions.

6) Interesting. We will see. SWTOR is not valid to compare it to I feel. But I see your point for Dungeons.

7) ???

Haly

4) Mesmer? Mesmer has an identity! Mesmer just needs more to do with illusions and phanta? getting a few different conditions is not enough, and just exploding them is not enough. At least not when compared to the breathe of Necro and Ele!
WvWvW: Illusions (except Distortion) require pathing. This basically means that when sieging or defending a keep, Illusions are completely useless. This is not even considering all the AoE going on everywhere. What's the point of shattering if your illusions die before reaching the target?
5) What happens is that the game is finished, and you can no get scaled back down and do areas of the worlds you didnt do before, hunt achievements, do dungeons for show-off loot, explore the entire map(and other titles), wait for next expansions.
That is not nearly enough to sustain typical PvE MMO players.
It's boring. When 50% of your damage comes from an automated chain of attacks (the equivalent of rotations in other games), it doesn't feel like you're actively involved in pushing out DPS.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not assuming it isn't ready. I'm saying because we don't know if Asura/Sylvari are ready, we can't assume they are. And if we don't know that much, then we can't say GW2 is ready.

Not hard :\

That's not what your stating at all, you came to the conclusion that it wasn't ready when the conclusion you should have come to was you can't really tell.

"I mean, even leaving out all the balance work and such GW2 is nowhere near "ready to launch". "

Your words, and you stated lack of Sylvari and Asura zones as a reason for that. How you you read that post you made and then the one you replied to me with.

Haly

I was listing reasons to doubt its readiness when Neckbeard said:
The quality of the open beta was better then many other MMO's that launch.
Biggest issue for me was the low framerate during large PvP battles. The rest looked polished and finished to me.
My own reasons for saying it's not ready concern other deeper issues than just two races. I'm talking fundamental design problems.

Stuart444

Yeah, it's -7. Should be 20:00 for you then (I'm GMT+3 currently and Germany is GMT+2).

Sounds right yeah, Germany is +1 ahead of us UKers (which we're on GMT+1 aka BST) so 8pm is right.

People forget about DST/BST/Whatever you call it and loads seem to end up saying the wrong thing because they think UK is still GMT, Germany is still GMT+1, etc

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
I was listing reasons to doubt its readiness when Neckbeard said:

My own reasons for saying it's not ready concern other deeper issues than just two races. I'm talking fundamental design problems.

I'd rather stay out of this wonderful discussion, but what the hey-

Games like Warhammer, TOR, and Star Trek Online had major issues during the launch and proved to be barely playable. GW2 beta weekend was smooth sailing compared to those.

Guild Wars 2 is different from the classic MMO design. That does not mean it has fundamental design problems, it tries to break the mold and is taking risks in many areas. A breath of fresh air in a stale market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom