• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC Gamer Details [Up3: Four Demos At E3, 30+ Minute Livestream]

Prothero

Neo Member
I just wanted to agree that Garrus and Wrex were an amazing combination in ME1. I would love to see BioWare bring Wrex back as a full party member in ME3, especially if Garrus has been confirmed already.

edgefusion

WanderingWind said:
Halt. Stop. No.

Dragon Age II's take on relationships was embarassing. Not an example to emulate.

Maybe from a straight perspective but there are barely any gay characters represented in games. If the character talks and isn't completely flaming then it's a step up from what we get now. I'd rather have an embarrassing gay relationship in ME3 than to be shunned entirely.

Sblargh

Banned
Dice said:
I strongly disagree.

-Oh, this girl who was constantly all into her own business apparently has the romantic maturity of a 15 year old and has had a huge crush on me this whole time.
-She is now dumping it on me all at once in an incredibly awkward confession.
-I act like the thought never crossed my mind, yet contradict that by saying I feel the same way... so apparently I love this girl but never acted like she existed?
-Basically after 3 conversations that go along the lines of "gee, you're swell!" -> "yeah... especially in my pants" she wants me to deflower her.

Just like real life.

squicken

edgefusion said:
Maybe from a straight perspective but there are barely any gay characters represented in games. If the character talks and isn't completely flaming then it's a step up from what we get now. I'd rather have an embarrassing gay relationship in ME3 than to be shunned entirely.

I'm sure that if they could do it again, they'd let players choose to be homosexual from the first game.

But now, they'd have to basically have it so that a middle age Shepard all the sudden decides/discovers he gay. I'm not trying to be insulting or dismissive in any way, but I thought the current position of the gay community was that one is born gay. Wouldn't Shepard "going gay" be an insult to that community?

"In Mass Effect 3 we'll fight the Reapers other experiments, with other species.
One is a hideously bloated pregnant Asari, her gums stripped away and a robot skeleton showing through her rotting flesh"

"The Reapers take on the Rachni, who were already viscious insect monsters,are covered with bulging savs of lesser creatures. Rather than hitting their weak spot for massive damage, you want to avoid it like the plague: bursting any of these sacs before the creature is dead wit will unleash a swarm of horrible mini-rachni that crawl all over your body"

"The Reaperised Krogan wears heavy armor plates that can shear off with enough focused fire. Once you do the creature changes its behaviour to be more defensive clutching its lurid blue intestines to its stomach as its lumbers towards you"

"One Reaper creature draws life force from anything that dies near it.
The time-honoured strategy of taking out the easy enemies first ends up
being counter-productive: you make the creature stronger than it would
have been with its allies alive."

gZfbK.jpg

Ickman3400 said:
Yes, they already went this route in ME1 with Saren.

Saren though, was not the head of a giant pro human organization that hates aliens and had JUST revived you to actively work against the aliens that they are now apparently working for.

Try to make sense of that.
Yeah, but do you honestly expect a pro-anything group to keep their morals in the face of ultimate annihilation? I predict there will be many factions/people who end up allying with the reapers in hope of mercy during the story. Hell, the offer for cerebrus could be to kill off all of the other races and leave humans as the dominate "slave-race".
Pretty much, what I'm saying here is that this, to me, is not shocking or surprising at all, from a "this kind of thing always happens in stories" perspective.
And plus.... we just know that they've allied with the reapers and have no idea why... The WHY is the part they could fuck up, but right now... It doesn't raise my eyebrow. The "why" is always the most important part in storytelling.....

TheChaos

f0rk said:
Isn't everyone in DA2 bi? That's a lot worse in my opinion, its like anti characterisation

Bioware won't do an exclusively gay/lesbian romance because the demand isn't there or something. Hope you enjoy bisexuals or nothing.

stupei

squicken said:
I'm sure that if they could do it again, they'd let players choose to be homosexual from the first game.

But now, they'd have to basically have it so that a middle age Shepard all the sudden decides/discovers he gay. I'm not trying to be insulting or dismissive in any way, but I thought the current position of the gay community was that one is born gay. Wouldn't Shepard "going gay" be an insult to that community?

As far as male Shepard goes, there are plenty of people who don't realize that they're gay until later in life, or it's possible that he's bisexual and has always been interested in men without acting on it during these particular missions.

As far as female Shepard, it's pretty damned offensive that Bioware has gone out of their way to insist that even hooking up with Liara doesn't make any version of Shepard "actually gay" even though she can still flirt mercilessly with Chambers. So, okay, she's not gay, she's just one of those annoying girls who kiss other girls for male attention? Great character choice, Bioware. (I also refuse to believe that a genetically perfect woman like Miranda wouldn't go both ways. Come on.)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
WanderingWind said:
Twittering? Or was there some project in there with the Henry VIII and hentai derby stuff that I missed?
I was making a joke that he was too busy making tentacle hentai.

That said, they haven't exactly been hiding that they're working on spin-offs, so it's quite possible they will have different lead writers on different projects.

Aaron

TheChaos said:
Bioware won't do an exclusively gay/lesbian romance because the demand isn't there or something (stupid, I know) Hope you enjoy bisexuals or nothing.
Unless I'm remembering wrong, they did that in Jade Empire. The princess character would only hook up with other women, and there might have even been a gay guy.

TheChaos

Aaron said:
Unless I'm remembering wrong, they did that in Jade Empire. The princess character would only hook up with other women, and there might have even been a gay guy.

The princess and Sky were available to both genders.

Beth Cyra

TheChaos said:
Bioware won't do an exclusively gay/lesbian romance because the demand isn't there or something. Hope you enjoy bisexuals or nothing.
How the hell did you end up with this? There are huge communities of gay gamers for both men and women. The call for gay/bi characters are crazy big.

He'll one of the most well known ME 1 mods is to have a gay relationship with Kaiden forged sake. Not only that but look around at all the demand, the videos and other things to have the genetic masterpiece Miranda to show interest in both the female side.

There is certainly enough people who would like or even love a fully gay character. I won't argue and say Bioware is wrong or don't have a reason, but trying to say there wouldn't be enough support is crazy talk.

TheChaos

TruePrime said:
How the hell did you end up with this? There are huge communities of gay gamers for both men and women. The call for gay/bi characters are crazy big.

He'll one of the most well known ME 1 mods is to have a gay relationship with Kaiden forged sake. Not only that but look around at all the demand, the videos and other things to have the genetic masterpiece Miranda to show interest in both the female side.

There is certainly enough people who would like or even love a fully gay character. I won't argue and say Bioware is wrong or don't have a reason, but trying to say there wouldn't be enough support is crazy talk.

The demand quote was their words, not mine, dude. Take it up with them. The quote was that not enough people picked the same sex option for romances for the resources need (programming, voice acting) to be worthwhile.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Nirolak said:
I was making a joke that he was too busy making tentacle hentai.

That said, they haven't exactly been hiding that they're working on spin-offs, so it's quite possible they will have different lead writers on different projects.
Ah. You are a humorous dude.

But let's break this down real quick. Mass Effect has upset gay gamers, who rightfully feel their desires are not being met. So, what's the solution? Let's throw "everybody is bi" out the window, because that's offensive to everybody. We need to have two choices for the three main sexual preferences, because only one still forces a players hand too much.

Male
2 straight, 2 gay, 2 bi. That's six characters.
Female
2 straight, 2 gay, 2 bi. That's six more.

So, if your RPG is going to have relationships, in order to make everybody happy, you'll need a minimum of 12, fully-fleshed out characters, all voiced and with enough dialogue to make the romance seem more than "hey, you were sorta polite to me, let's fuck immediately."

...sucks to be a game dev, eh?

Beth Cyra

TheChaos said:
The demand quote was their words, not mine, dude. Take it up with them. The quote was that not enough people picked the same sex option for romances for the resources need to be worthwhile.
I don't need to calm down. Just pointing out that Bioware's very own community shot that theory to shit.

I wonder what that Data was. When did they make that statement?

I'm just wondering. Depending on the timing their easily seems to be more then enough call for it to have same sex given Dragon Age 1 and 2. So it doesn't seem like their wasnt enough call for it so much as the straight side remained stronger and they don't want to lock out that fan base and not so much the gay side is properly supported.

TheChaos

TruePrime said:
I don't need to calm down. Just pointing out that Bioware's very own community shot that theory to shit.

The community makes up a very small (and vocal) part of the fanbase. Their message boards may want something, but that doesn't mean the general public will. Bioware probably did outside research on the subject. Look at how many people chose Male Shepherd (was it like 80%) despite everybody swearing up and down that femShep was better.

WanderingWind

The people who argue that Miranda must be bi because she's like, genetically engineered and stuff, kind of weird me out. I mean, we'd all love to have sex with Yvonne, but lusting that hard after polygons is so way to get through life, son

Aurarian

Mr_Zombie said:
You know, this is kind of unfair. How could you not be unfaithful, when the one you romanced in ME1 was either:

1) ass because you haven't called them since the attack on Normandy (because being dead for two years is obviously no excuse) and that you work with the evil organization now (that it resurrected you and is the only party interested in saving human race from Collectors is unimportant);

2) completely uninterested in you at the time because she devoted herself to hunt Shadow Broker;

So it's them that didn't want to continue the relationship, not Shepard :/

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. It's completely asinine to punish the players who decided to get it on during ME2. How can I be unfaithful when I was dead for two years and through the miracle of science was allowed to live once again? Not to mention as Zombie put it, Liara(I romanced her in the first game as well)was not interested in me at all. I moved on and she moved on. That's how I see it. Why should we be punished for that?

I don't even wanna talk about that awesome retcon where Udina is councilor. That's some straight up bullshit. Who the fuck would pick Udina in their playthrough? He was such an ass. Don't give me that bullshit that Anderson belongs in the "field". That's such a pitiful excuse. I remember him saying something akin to "I'm too old for this shit" when you asked if he wanted to come on your journey in ME1. Not to mention, he had also mentioned that he would be able to do some good as councilor on the Citadel. Again, bullshit. I think this game will be good but some of the choices Bioware has made in regard to the overall plot is so stupid.

Beth Cyra

TheChaos said:
The community makes up a very small (and vocal) part of the fanbase. Their message boards may want something, but that doesn't mean the general public will. Bioware probably did outside research on the subject. Look at how many people chose Male Shepherd (was it like 80%)
Well taking that approach really doesn't fix the problem on way or another.

For one picking male Shepard at that high a rate shouldn't be shocking when Mass Effect is a core gam which generally attract a 18-25 male, not to mention it's John Shepard's face they slap across every single piece of Mass Effect material.

I'm not trying o say gays are as in demand as m/f relationships. Just that their is big enough support for them.

Also percents are a tricky thing to use. What was the stat that a firm came out with about people finishing games? Like 30 percent or something crazy small? I think we can both agree that devs should still finish the games even if most people don't finish them.

WanderingWind

Yeah, Liara not really giving a shit about your return was the single most jarring thing about the second game.

Beth Cyra

WanderingWind said:
Yeah, Liara not really giving a shit about your return was the single most jarring thing about the second game.
When did this happen?

Granted I bought the Shadowbroker DLC so maybe it's different but this is not ho Liara acted at all in my first time playing ME 2.

WanderingWind

TruePrime said:
When did this happen?

Granted I bought the Shadowbroker DLC so maybe it's different but this is not ho Liara acted at all in my first time playing ME 2.
I haven't played the Shadow Broker DLC. In vanilla, she hugs you, then sits at a desk and gives you 2 missions and acts as an info dump for 2 more.

Beth Cyra

WanderingWind said:
I haven't played the Shadow Broker DLC. In vanilla, she hugs you, then sits at a desk and gives you 2 missions and acts as an info dump for 2 more.
Oh, well damn. Yeah I would have been like what the fuck? If that had been what happened.

Aurarian

WanderingWind said:

Did you romance her? I have a faint memory that she talked a bit more if you did(maybe I'm wrong).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Uh, she kisses you. Maybe in your game you dun screwed up by hittin on another girl and she heard via her info channels.

She's over 100 years old. Do you think that kind of person gets all giddy no matter what the depth of their love? Plus, knowing that she'll outlive Shepard by about 850 years gives her a bit of perspective about handling things in a balanced manner.

WanderingWind

Aurarian said:
Did you romance her? I have a faint memory that she talked a bit more if you did(maybe I'm wrong).
Maybe. I'm currently replaying as my Male/Ashley romance character. My real character romanced Liara, but I recall the reunion being lame there too.

RedSwirl

Thagomizer said:
The trouble is is that Bioware does have competent writers on the Mass Effect team- Wrex, Mordin, Garrus, and Legion (especially Wrex, Mordin, and Legion) demonstrate that.

The problem is, those writers aren't the leads, and the main story writers are talentless hacks that got lucky with ME1 and BDtS and have displayed nothing but ultra-concentrated FAIL since then.

So the consensus here is that all of BioWare's writing talent is spent on the characters and dialogue? That's what I've been able to gather from just playing Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Do their previous games follow the same pattern?

My thought on the TIM indoctrination/Cerberus after you arguments:

I think you could have a reasonable argument for Cerberus coming after you without reconning the entire thing.

Cerberus is an Earth-first shadow group. If you were on trial on Earth when the Reapers invaded, it would be plausible for an indoctrinated TIM (but not the entire organization) to blame the Reaper invasion on Shepard, then allocating its resources to fight you, assuming that Shepard was the key to helping them invade, not TIM.

My thought is that the whole TIM shift will likely involve the Collector's base, regardless if you saved it or not. Even if it was blown up, it makes total sense that TIM would still send Cerberus after the remains, and could still find some piece of Reaper tech to fully indoctrinate/activate TIM to send Cerberus to attack Shep.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
That makes sense. TIM checks out some Collector ship relics, and his Reaper Eyes glow brightly. His indoctrination is complete.

So bad, but so Walters.

RedSwirl said:
So the consensus here is that all of BioWare's writing talent is spent on the characters and dialogue? That's what I've been able to gather from just playing Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Do their previous games follow the same pattern?

I wouldn't even go as far as dialogue, just characters. As I said before their games are so empty in almost every aspect now that they're basically just big budget dating sims.

Vamphuntr

Hahaha the Illusive man is working with the reapers. We called it in another thread. Disappointed by the lack of Mordin and Miranda so far. I have hopes for both though. If cheating is supposed to come back to haunt you then she must appear at some point.

Also in another thread it was said that
You would do something about the genophage so Mordin will probably be there for that quest

Obnoxious Cerberus Cheerleader > Space bigot

Illusive Man never wanted to stop the Reapers. He understood, like Saren, that their return could not be stopped. He used Shepard to wipe out the Collectors for their technology so Cerberus and a select number of human colonies can evade and outlast the Reaper invasion, and once they've wiped the galaxy clean of non-humans, he and Cerberus can claim the Citadel and become the absolute dominant species. Losing Earth is simply a necessary sacrifice.

brandonh83 said:
Good, romancing in Bioware games is extremely hollow and corny as hell. Not gonna miss it.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only gamer who really likes the Bioware romances for the reasons that you listed above as opposed to the creepy Tali fanart reasons. I mean, come on, it's hard enough to portray romance successfully with human actors in a movie, so trying to do it with poorly animated Muppets is just incredibly amusing. I love the BioWare moments where a character tries to spill out their love for you while your po-faced character avatar just stares back at them with all the emotion of Agent Smith. Or two characters who've only had probably 20 lines of dialog together now take the time awkwardly grind polygonal crotches together before launching on a mission to defeat some alien menace. I want Bioware romances in every game (Call of Duty, Madden, Tetris, whatever) it's freaking hilarious and always puts a smile on my face. Maybe I'm just odd like that.

Acidote

Nirolak said:
This preview mentions that 70% of people weren't faithful to their ME1 romance. :lol

They reconfirm that this will come back to bite them.

Like if that had nothing to do with LotSB being a DLC or with the default romance option if you didn't import a save.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Cerberus is working with the Reapers?

No WREX?!

I'm getting an "Episode 3" letdown vibe here. All it needs is to have Liara say to Shepard "Johnny, I want to have our baby back on Naboo" and make it complete.

Jarmel

Banned
Confidence Man said:
Illusive Man never wanted to stop the Reapers. He understood, like Saren, that their return could not be stopped. He used Shepard to wipe out the Collectors for their technology so Cerberus and a select number of human colonies can evade and outlast the Reaper invasion, and once they've wiped the galaxy clean of non-humans, he and Cerberus can claim the Citadel and become the absolute dominant species. Losing Earth is simply a necessary sacrifice.

You know what, that actually makes a ton of sense and would probably be my course of action.

Squire

Banned
RedSwirl said:

From game to game their characters do seem to be the things that get the most praise. That's something ME2 played up. It was a story that revolved around it's cast. You can say what you want about Dragon Age 2 (there are good arguments for and against), but as far as I'm concerned, that game has BioWare's best, most well-rounded and unique cast of characters yet. So yeah, I could see that.

Ickman3400 said:
I wouldn't even go as far as dialogue, just characters. As I said before their games are so empty in almost every aspect now that they're basically just big budget dating sims.
This amount of hyperpole is a little too much.

Squire

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:

Definitely. We're talking about the characters. Not the individual designs, not the voice work, the characters, as wholes, in general. The dialogue is kinda imperative to that.

Rahxephon91 said:

You're right, it's not even an in depth dating sim. You just talk to the person a few times after main missions and then you get to screw him/her. So they didn't even get that right.

megalowho

Jarmel said:
I love how everyone is automatically assuming that all of Cerberus is indoctrinated and working with the Reapers.
Too many people making assumptions due to one line in a magazine, happy to plot out their worst fears as the most plausible scenario. Something about Mass Effect makes folks go crazy with premature negativity, even without proper context.

Ickman3400 said:
You're right, it's not even an in depth dating sim. You just talk to the person a few times after main missions and then you get to screw him/her. So they didn't even get that right.
Whatever, I don't have time for these kind of idiotic statements. The game is'nt anywhere close to out and you're already calling it terrible and the entire dating sim thing is stupid. I don't even know if your joking, dosen't sound like it. But yes it's a dating sim first and foremost, forget about everything else in the game. Nope, just forget the games talk about new additions to combat and a return of in depth rpg elements. It's a dating sim, even though it's a part of the game that can be avoided and is largely unimportant.

Jarmel

Banned
megalowho said:
Too many people making assumptions due to one line in a magazine, happy to plot out their worst fears as the most plausible scenario. Something about Mass Effect makes folks go crazy with premature negativity, even without proper context.

Context is everything and this really does seem like people are just happy hating the game.

Top Bottom