• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
Also there's plenty of series that do space politics well, like Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Yamato 2199. Or if you're willing to go outside anime, Deep Space 9 or Babylon 5.

Gundam politics are just bad.

edit: gun damn it i just noticed

how did we get into another gundam discussion

The only issue I have with Unicorn is that its a sequel that we didn't get the original for. I think its pretty good now outside of the occasional odd cuts where a scene was skipped from the original ova.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My only guess is that, because the Major's body is prosthetic, you could say her body is up of "math" being done by the all the robotics inside doing computer...ing...

....or something...or maybe they did incredible math for her body's proportions?

Regiruler

The Sonic Boom cartoon apparently doesn't give a fuck.

Speaking of Sonic Boom, I hate how Cartoon Network is driving away the treasure trove of 3rd party shows that made it great. Pokemon is on Disney XD and Boom is stuck on Boomerang (however much sense that makes). Yugioh hasn't been on the network for years.

Is it a reach to say most all of the Gundam franchise is bad, and what quality does come out of it are aberrations?

This is the only thread I've ever seen that has called Unicorn "Bad". It was pretty popular and essentially saved the franchise in the west.

For a bit, the franchise was on life support here.

I think it's just you guys.

cntr

Banned
Nah, Unicorn's pretty bad. I watched it because it looked good, but the characterization and dialogue was always very weak. That's the reason I had more fun with IBO, because even if the plot is weak, the characters were really fun. I can live with a bad plot if the characters are fun.

...speaking of, I checked out a bit of IBO S2, specifically
the Hashmal fight
. ...even without Unicorn as a comparison, IBO Season 2 is going to raise our flags. Because, holy crap.

Seda

I actually wasn't even considering Unicorn when I made that statement. I was basing it off off what I have seen (I'm not watching Unicorn yet). Probably the biggest factor was that I was pretty disappointed in Zeta which is apparently one of the better ones, and even G Gundam is more "fun" that good.

cntr

Banned
Zeta is pretty...old, to put it one way. and G is pretty cheesy old. so I get if you didn't think they were that great.

I'm ok with overlooking datedness compared to pretentiousness. the latter's way worse, and it's the primary issue with modern Gundam.

Not even GundamGaf can come to a consensus on the best shows. Everybody seems to have a different fave. I can only rank Zeta and Victory as my top two. Everything else I've never really bothered to sit down and rank, and probably never will. I've liked a fair bulk of them though, with 00 being on the list that I haven't seen in years cause season 2 is fucking dog shit and I watch Seed and Seed Destiny for fun and certain moments, but it's not on my fave list at all. I like Wing for nostalgia and I still have fun with it since it's my gateway series, but I recognize it as pretty flawed. Build Fighters and G are very fun departures, but I really don't watch G that much cause it's barely a Gundam show to me, though I liked it a lot more the second time I saw it, which is something I could also say about ZZ, but Judau is not my boy, he ain't dethroning Kamille for me.

Raxus

It should also be noted we are watching a repackaged version of the Unicorn. Typical stories have beginning middle and ends but since we just cut up the OVA we may start with the beginning and end as the middle is getting started. It is very jarring.

That is also not including the

For the record I am lukewarm about the series. Once you get over all the UC nods it isn't terribly hard to follow but its presentation makes for a pretty bad week to week show. I am hoping things get sorted as we get further into the series like the last battle episode.

Moaradin

My main problem with Unicorn is still the characters. I feel like I barely know any of them and I have no investment in them. I can forgive a weak plot if the characters are strong (like with IBO), but I can't forgive weak characters.

Moaradin

Links (I assume is the name of the protagonist? I can never remember) is just getting on my nerves. His attachment to a girl he knew for like a day is borderline creepy. And I know people will say it's because he's a newtype or whatever, but that just seems lazy to me.

cntr

Banned
also honestly G Gundam is pretty bad in an objective sense

but it's like a b-movie about giant robot kung-fu. it's so dumb that it's great!

Links has to be the weeniest protags I have seen in a while and in a gundam series that is saying something.
and he started out so well with that zero-g fight!

Links (I assume is the name of the protagonist? I can never remember) is just getting on my nerves. His attachment to a girl he knew for like a day is borderline creepy. And I know people will say it's because he's a newtype or whatever, but that just seems lazy to me.
yeah it's one of those things that makes sense in-context, but is bad writing anyway.

...incidentally, are we going to have discussions about Gundam's quality every week? I feel like that in the last few weeks, I've written more about Gundam than I've ever wanted to.

Seda

I feel I should clearly that I kinda half-liked Zeta and IBO, I'm not that negative/cynical. I just also feel like that 'other' half of both shows is significant enough that I can't just ignore it.

My main problem with Unicorn is still the characters. I feel like I barely know any of them and I have no investment in them. I can forgive a weak plot if the characters are strong (like with IBO), but I can't forgive weak characters.

Alot of that is the format. In ova form it feels better

I honestly think Unicorn is just better watched binged. Dragging it out week to week isn't doing it any favors and you guys didn't even hit the boring parts of Unicorn yet. I think the boring parts are OVA 6 which is nothing but talking set up points for the final OVA.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The reason G Gundam holds up is because of how straight forward it can be. There isn't a lot of politics and when there is its often solved by fighting spirit, the power of friendship and love and ass kicking super mechs. Its a lot simpler and to the point than a lot of Gundam shows while playing up the insanity and is far more of a fighting shonen than it is a Gundam show with power creep, escalation, and so on.

cntr

Banned
yeah, G Gundam shares much more in common with hot-blooded super mecha than it does with any other Gundam. arguably a few Gundam themes and concepts are in there, but that's not obvious when they're filtered so thoroughly through the battle shounen setting.

so it's not really a Gundam except in name and appearance. Build Fighters is the only other Gundam show that resembles it.

The Ghost in the Shell ED is so good.

...what's with "she's incredible math", though

Well, her body is heavily cyborg, which I assume to function requires mathematical calculations happening at an absurd rate.

Or just the design of her body required such advanced engineering to make happen...well, that's incredible math.

I disliked IBO, so seeing it often propped up as a good one does not really give me much faith in the General Gundam Consensus tbh

I think Unicorn is legitimately bad about how it conveys information regardless of whether it's about UC continuity or not, but once I get through all other UC stuff I might go back through and watch the OVAs to give it another chance.

Morlas

Hey guys just got my gaf account approved and this is my first post! kinda nervous but i've been following this thread for a while so i know this is a pretty cool place overall i look forward to discussing toonami stuff with ya and i hope we get along.

Chase17

Hey guys just got my gaf account approved and this is my first post! kinda nervous but i've been following this thread for a while so i know this is a pretty cool place overall i look forward to discussing toonami stuff with ya and i hope we get along.

Welcome!

I disliked IBO, so seeing it often propped up as a good one does not really give me much faith in the General Gundam Consensus tbh

I think Unicorn is legitimately bad about how it conveys information regardless of whether it's about UC continuity or not, but once I get through all other UC stuff I might go back through and watch the OVAs to give it another chance.

To me, it was okay until it hit s2. Then it became legit

Mizerman

Greetings.

Morlas

Thanks for the welcome guys I'm probably gonna miss the first couple of hours of toonami for the next couple of months but i'll be following along.
Also how do i quote posts?
Also Joseph is amazing right? Am i right?
And next you'll say: 'Of course you're right.'

Welcome. enjoy your stay and if I were you don't enter the minefield threads...or gamingGAF overall.

To quote, simply use the quote tags without the "*" [*QUOTE][/QUOTE*], NeoGAF uses an old (and best) early 2000s IPB style tag system so it won't be complicated to pick up.

I just call him "Badger" at this point, and I fully agree with what you said I mean my god newtype psychic bullshit or not this dude barely knows this girl and shes everything to him while the girl from the first episode (again with these bullshit gundam names can't recall) seemed to have an interest in him and knew him for longer then a day and all badger was going on about was that his life had no meaning without gaint robots and girls he never knew.

I miss Mika. :\

Thanks for the welcome guys I'm probably gonna miss the first couple of hours of toonami for the next couple of months but i'll be following along.
Also how do i quote posts?
Also Joseph is amazing right? Am i right?
And next you'll say: 'Of course you're right.'
Joseph ain't even my favorite Jojo...

I was getting real sick of certain other forums and commenting sections so for me to get approved here last weekend was a profound blessing. This is a quite nice and civil forum to be on, ain't it? I've been lurking on this thread as well - ever since JoJo started

Jarate

Banned
welcome new people to the thread!

Toonami-gaf welcomes you to the most incredible part of the Neogaf experience, the Toonami-gaf thread!

cntr

Banned
this is toonamigaf! and welcome to you, who have come to toonamigaf

anything is possible at toonamigaf. you can do anything at toonamigaf.

the infinite is possible at toonamigaf. the unattainable is unknown at toonamigaf. welcome to toonamigaf! this is toonamigaf!

I'm not feeling either of these Gundams really.

I don't care about anything happening in Unicorn and despite IBO summoning emotion out of me, it was mostly hatred and disdain for everyone and everything happening in it.

I think I liked maybe two episodes of that show. And I hate Mikazuki so a Season 2 with him isn't going to help much, no matter what happens. Unless it's just that damn good.

cntr

Banned
his name in Japanese is clearly supposed to be "Bannerjee", which is at least a real (last) name.

why it became "Banagher", I have no idea

Moaradin

For me, the things I like about IBO outweigh the things I dislike about it, though I completely understand why someone would call it a bad show.

For Unicorn, I'm kinda confused why this one was hyped up outside of the OVA animation budget.

Seda

This doesn't mean anything, and I haven't even seen any of Unicorn yet, and this is very anecdotal

but

two friends of mine are both pretty big Gundam fans (one is a megafan really) but neither like Unicorn. So coming in, my initial perspective was that the general reception to the OVA was mixed at best.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You must pass the 3 trials to become a fully fledged ToonamiGAF member

Test #1: Count all the times Trump Card is said in Akame ga Kill
Test #2: Watch all of SAO, both seasons
Test #3: Endure the entirety of the Cell Arc & make it out alive....or watch Tenchi Muyo GXP

While I will say that I kind of appreciate IBO a bit more in comparison to UC, it is a bit worrying that IBO is considered one of the better Gundams outside of the more unique spin-offs like Build Fighters & G-Gundam. & I have to agree I feel like I know nothing about the character, making me care less about what's happening, let alone the fights because the people controlling the robots are those who I have no emotional connection to. Sure, the fights look nice, but they lose part of their impact if I don't care who the pilots are.

cntr

Banned
IBO S1 being a good show depends on your taste and how willing you are to just ignore the plot. I remember the reaction to S1 being very...mixed, even among Gundam fans.

(there seems to be a general consensus that S2 is very good, though)
Test #1: Count all the times Trump Card is said in Akame ga Kill
Test #2: Watch all of SAO, both seasons
Test #3: Endure the entirety of the Cell Arc & make it out alive....or watch Tenchi Muyo GXP
I've done none of those yet, oh nooooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom