• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Rangers |SPOILER THREAD| We've got SIX (6) more after this, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
I think the theme is from the 95' movie.

It's the amazing 95 version of the theme, my peeps. It's in the OP if you want the full listen.

giphy.gif

Bless up. I was thinking about the 95 movie too, though it's been a while since I listened to the soundtrack (I had the cassette of it!).

Zapages

It was a very fun movie the watch. The movie had good start with breakfast club feel to an average slow middle and then average ending.

I would give it 7/10.

I really wish the megazord and the zords were better designed. Also in the megazord/zords, they need their visors down all the time just like original show. Its kind of jarring to see them with their faces in the helmets type of thing that they are going for.

Aside from those two aspects. It was a good movie, but no where near bad as the marketing for the movie will make you believe.

Also can't wait it become more serious with Tommy/Green Ranger and Later with the Zeo Rangers, lord Zed, Machine Empire.

I wonder how they are going to do everything.

Movie 1 - Origin story - Rita on the Moon
Movie 2 - Green Ranger story - Evil to Good
Movie 3 - Lord Zed and new Zords/ Ninja Rangers - White Ranger?
Movie 4 - Power Rangers Zeo / Machine Empire? - Gold Ranger?
Movie 5 - Power Rangers In Space
Movie 6 - Power Rangers Lost Galaxy - League of Villians end of Power Ranger movies

My cross post from the other Power Rangers Movie discussion thread. :)

Quick

Banned
Speculations!

I posted this in the female Tommy Oliver thread, thought it might be worth posting here if we're doing speculations for the sequel.

I can see them tie up the Green Ranger with Rita in the sequel. I'm probably overthinking it, but Zordon was able to command the five power coins to find "worthy" people before the meteor hit. Rita could command her coin similarly, and put her essence into it (like Zordon in the ship, but more evil or something), and the person who finds her coin (a "lady" because she likes the word lol) starts to slowly inherit characteristics of Rita, until *insert plot stuff* and Tommi/Tommie/Tomi/Tommy ends up being part of the team and fucks up Lord Zedd or whoever comes up next.

ryan299

Enjoyed it a lot but Rita was terrible. Really brought down the movie.

Didn't like the designs of the puddys or the megazord. Could've used some more action with them in the suits.

Also Rita sucked.

Toa TAK

Banned
Rita was the bomb. Easily the most entertaining performance in the film next to Billy.

EDIT: I love that gif, Quick.

Pachimari

I wonder if they can do more with Rita in a sequel? I really loved Elizabeth's performance and how she was portrayed and I want much more of that.

cordy

Banned
If they plan on doing 7 total movies then I see it like this

1 - Current
2 - Green Ranger and it ends with him turning good
3 - Lord Zedd / Green Candle
4 - White Ranger / Thunderzords
5 - Zeo / Machine Empire
6 - Command Center destroyed / Zordon taken / Dark Spectre and Astronema show up at the end
7 - In Space / Zordon's death

Veedot

I think I'm the only one in my social circle who doesn't give a shit about Tommy. I wonder how they're going to portray a non-JDF Tommy in the sequel. Who knows he might actually become likable to me

Zen Aku

God I want the original cast actors to have a small role in the sequels. Like Jason and Tommy could be running a martial art dojo together, Kimberly as a cheerleading coach, Billy running a business (juice bar), and Zach as the new hip teacher that just came to Angel Grove.

That would be an awesome callback.

ZeroCDR

Way better than I expected, the characters were so well done. Focusing on development for most of the movie was the right choice, as a childhood fan it's hard to replace the original cast in my head and the movie really sold the new actors to me.

The last 30 minutes was ridiculously fun. The suits looked fine as did the zords, but the megazord looked kinda eh. I'm on board for the sequels for sure.

A.J.

Banned
It was a lot of run. The megazord design was bad, but I liked the characters. It's weird to see the Power Rangers actually be Teenagers with Attitude.

Tall4Life

1 - Current
5 - Zeo / Machine Empire
6 - Command Center destroyed / Zordon taken / Dark Spectre and Astronema show up at the end

But what about Turbo?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

Pineapple

1 - Current
5 - Zeo / Machine Empire

This is a good outline. I would love for the future films to unfold like this.

Oh, and in the next film, I would really love to see a Red v Green ranger combat scene utilizing both swords and hand to hand combat. Imagine a Matrix or Jason Bourne style fight scene for something like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILnnBJDTP10

Regiruler

Was it TOO MUCH TO ASK to have the theme song for the credits?

EDIT: hiding it 5 minutes in is shameful and it doesn't last nearly long enough.

Just came back from it. Enjoyed it until they brought the Zords out and only gave us 10 seconds of the theme song

What a bullshit thing to do

Same with not giving a proper zord transformation

Or ranger roll call

Regiruler

Coming from someone who didn't even mind the overdesigned visual aspects, or the fact that they morphed so late into the movie: this movie was so damn sub-par.

Licensed music everywhere. Where's the rockin' guitar solos?
Only tenuous nostalgia lines and 1 or 2 music clips.
Overcomplicating the characters. I only liked new Zack and Billy.
Some really souring jokes (if that single udder joke was what I thought it was).

I didn't even pay for the god damn movie, I got free tickets.

The acting was fine, but I really don't care about that. The only scene I liked was Billy's "death".

Just saw it again and holy crap, the theatre was even more wild tonight (makes more sense since there were more people).

The biggest cheers were for:
-90s theme
-Megazord reveal
-AJJ and JDF cameo

Also every joke landed perfectly. The adult jokes got the best laughs. This movie is going to thrive on good word of mouth.

Regiruler

You want to see a good nostalgia film? Watch Dark Side of Dimensions.

It is ten times the movie this will ever be.

I was so disappointed to the movie I hung on after the stinger in a desperate attempt to see if there was something redeeming. The only thing I got was 30 seconds of a remake of the original theme (which was good, but not nearly enough).

16BitNova

Just got back from watching. I really enjoyed it. I know there was a lot of character building and origin story but that's ok. Now that that is out of the way the rest of the movies can have plenty of action. Looking forward to the sequels. They got a good premise and cast here.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'm surprised this movie is as good as it was. I wanna take my little cousins to watch it now. Also I was losing it when they suplexed Goldar. Brock Lesnar would be proud with all the suplexes in this movie.

Also the original movie is on HBO right now and I'm drowning in nostalgia.

jdstorm

Banned
I'm surprised this movie is as good as it was. I wanna take my little cousins to watch it now. Also I was losing it when they suplexed Goldar. Sabin would be proud with all the suplexes in this movie.

Also the original movie is on HBO right now and I'm drowning in nostalgia.

Fixed.

cordy

Banned
But what about Turbo?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

I don't think they'll give us a Turbo movie. What I think they'll do is have a portion of a movie where they have to get in the Turbo Zords and their suits will morph while they're in there and that'll be like one big Uncharted scene like say they'll have to travel to the other side of the country or something and they'll use the Turbo Zords to get there.

The Turbo Zords will be the new "car action scene" for this series.

This is a good outline. I would love for the future films to unfold like this.

Oh, and in the next film, I would really love to see a Red v Green ranger combat scene utilizing both swords and hand to hand combat. Imagine a Matrix or Jason Bourne style fight scene for something like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILnnBJDTP10

Definitely. I see them going all in with the Green Ranger.

Saw it twice.

I still think it's a really solid leaning towards good movie.

90% I enjoy.

I still think Kim's character motivation is... not good. And the movie doesn't really punish her for it.

But hey, she's attractive and I enjoy watching those 5 people on screen.

They need to do a sequel (I think it will make enough money) and it needs to be the same director as well.

Sawneeks

Banned
Saw it earlier today and it's still hitting me that this was actually a good movie. From the second it was announced I was expecting some Fantastic Four-level of movie with poor acting and story with a couple of action scenes scattered throughout. Turns out we got a 'Breakfast Club with super powers' movie and it surprisingly worked. Honestly some of my least favorite parts of the film involved them being in the suits, I thought the characters and the chemistry between the main cast worked much more than the CGI fights.

Fingers crossed this gets enough for a sequel, really want to see what they can do with the Green Ranger in this set-up.

I liked the guy playing Jason, but kept getting Zac Efron vibes from him...weird right?

My friend said the exact same thing after the film. She thought it was odd to watch Zac Efron be a Power Ranger. :p

How are the cameos from the 90s actors handled?

They show up after the final fight in a crowd as everyone looks up at the Megazord in awe. They are front and center in the shot.

Zen Aku

How are the cameos from the 90s actors handled?

Pretty well actually, Jason David Frank and Amy Jo Johnson appeared as Angel Grove residents at the end of the final battle. They were looking up at the Megazords, smiling and taking pictures.

It last about 10 seconds, it was very well done.

Also the Zack is totally hotter than Jason. Like to the point of it being distracting.

Pretty well actually, Jason David Frank and Amy Jo Johnson appeared as Angel Grove residents at the end of the final battle. They were looking up at the Megazords, smiling and taking pictures.

It last about 10 seconds, it was very well done.
And they are standing together which made it better as well.

Zen Aku

And they are standing together which made it better as well.

I wonder if they can somehow ask the other original cast to appear. It doesn't even have to be much, just a scene here and there.

So Saban said they have about 6 more movies lined up. I wonder if they're going to do a different team power for each movie. Like we'll have Zeo next, then Turbo, etc.

I highly doubt it since we barely got familiarize with these zords and what the power rangers can do with their suits. Plus it would be weird to realize you're watching all the Power Rangers sequels knowing that in the end their old powers will be destroyed or lost only to get new one.

I wonder if they can somehow ask the other original cast to appear. It doesn't even have to be much, just a scene here and there.
At the premiere they asked what kind of cameo they would like and David Yost said a parent of the new team, Walter said he would want to be a bad guy.

ash321

Jesus Lion Gate, was it really that hard to make the song longer than 10s. Get rid of the generic rock and put some of that OG music in there.
I'll give the movie a 7/10. It was a fun movie, Zordon was meh, Alpha wasn't as annoying but still creppy as fuck, Rita was great (she got bitched slap to the fking moon), the rangers was ok, except for pink and black. Cinematography was trash, give me a headache after the car crash, lot of shots was film in like a 45 degree ? The zord and suit was meh, still not gonna buy the toy.
Edit: oh yeah the cameo was fun. Also a lots of good hidden easter egg.

Zen Aku

At the premiere they asked what kind of cameo they would like and David Yost said a parent of the new team, Walter said he would want to be a bad guy.

Well we already saw the parents of all the Rangers, so that is probably out of the window. I could see Yost being a teacher or something. Like a mentor to the kids, he doesn't actually know they are rangers but still give them valuable life lessons that they can use as rangers.

Actually I thought it would have been hilarious if when Rita got bitch slapped, that she would flew past the moon before drifting further into space. It would have been a funny callback.

I got to finally see it today and I'm legitimately shocked that I liked it as much as I did. Like, I really liked it. And to my further surprise, everyone in my group that came with me liked it too. Even the harsh critic that I was sure would hate it.
The whole setup with Rita being a freaky ocean mummy was awesome. I loved the 5 rangers and seeing them form their bonds during the movie in a way that felt earned. Zordon got more character than he ever has before and Alpha was consistently great to have around.

How? I was totally prepared to flush this one down the drain and now I'm thinking about seeing it again. I cant say how well it will impact people who are not in my age range, but for me, it brought to life a lot of what I imagined when I watched this as a child.

I'm not without complaints but as far as I'm concerned, they actually pulled it off and I'm anxiously waiting for a sequel. I'm hoping word of mouth gets around on this one because the critics crushed it, but consistently the regular joe opinions I see are on the positive side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom