• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The retail apocalypse has officially descended on America

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also had that concept in the US in the 80s and 90s called Service Merchandise. Watching the stuff you ordered come out on a conveyor belt was super exciting as a kid.

On topic? How do people order shoes and clothes online? I mean, I do it occasionally but I prefer to try things on before I buy.

I buy Made in USA New Balance off of eBay have yet to have an issue. I have tried four pairs and they are a perfect fit each tine. American made clothing is cut for Americans with most brands so you know things are going to fit. In most cases, you might even need to size down. With some manufacturers that make their stuff overseas, you may or may not need to size up.

Finn

I buy Made in USA New Balance off of eBay have yet to have an issue. I have tried four pairs and they are a perfect fit each tine. American made clothing is cut for Americans with most brands so you know things are going to fit. In most cases, you might even need to size down. With some manufacturers that make their stuff overseas, you may or may not need to size up.

I mean, okay, but what about clothing that's not made in America? I'm going to need to try it on unless I want to send something back every time the fit isn't perfect.

Anyone who has purchased clothes from H&M and J. Crew and Old Navy know that a size 30 pant from one is not the same as a size 30 pant from another. Similarly, a J. Crew size medium could fit perfectly, while you're swimming in an Old Navy size medium.

As for shoes, I might fit into a size 10 typically, but that doesn't mean any size 10 shoe is going to be comfortable. Which is why most people, when shoe shopping, try them on before buying.

Couleurs

On topic? How do people order shoes and clothes online? I mean, I do it occasionally but I prefer to try things on before I buy.

Mostly trying clothes on at a brick and mortar store, then buy that brand online if it's cheap enough to justify the wait. Otherwise im mainly buying stuff I've already had before, so I know what size I need.

I just order several sizes and fits to see them on once they have been delivered and return those that didn't fit.

I wonder what happens to suburbia?

More restuarants since those don't compete with Amazon.

We really need to invest more in public parks.

They will be the ghettoes of this century.

Finn

Mostly trying clothes on at a brick and mortar store, then buy that brand online if it's cheap enough to justify the wait. Otherwise im mainly buying stuff I've already had before, so I know what size I need.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of online shopping, though? It's not super convenient to drive to the store to try something on and, unless the price is significantly reduced, what are you saving?
I just order several sizes and fits to see them on once they have been delivered and return those that didn't fit.
I mean, I get doing that, but that seems super wasteful and, again, inconvenient. (Maybe I'm just really bad at returning things, though!)

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of online shopping, though? It's not super convenient to drive to the store to try something on and, unless the price is significantly reduced, what are you saving?

I mean, I get doing that, but that seems super wasteful and, again, inconvenient. (Maybe I'm just really bad at returning things, though!)

Most of the online stores I buy from already include the return label in the package so it's as simple as dropping it off at the nearest UPS/FED/USPS location. I feel like it's more efficient to have a lot of items being delivered and returned in a mail truck than going into a mall in a two ton vehicle, sometimes just by yourself, just to try on clothes.

But eh, I live in West Hollywood. CA. I have tons of shopping options here and I prefer buying at consignment shops anyway. I buy some of the harder to find sizes online (like XS or XXS). Many local places that I shop around here are less than two miles from me.

edit: here ya go http://www.treehugger.com/culture/online-shopping-vs-driving-to-the-mall-the-greener-way-to-buy.html.

Finn

But eh, I live in West Hollywood. CA. I have tons of shopping options here and I prefer buying at consignment shops anyway. I buy some of the harder to find sizes online (like XS or XXS).]
I always get amazing deals on those sizes on J. Crew Factory's website.

Couleurs

That's why I don't buy clothes online very often (maybe every couple of months). When I see something I want, I'll check Amazon or somewhere else while I'm in the store, if it's drastically cheaper online then I'll hold off and buy online. Otherwise I'll pay a few extra bucks to get it now

sans_pants

avec_pénis
We also had that concept in the US in the 80s and 90s called Service Merchandise. Watching the stuff you ordered come out on a conveyor belt was super exciting as a kid.

Zappos ships in 2 days and have a very generous return policy

BunnyBear

It's an interesting juxtaposition to Australia, where the colossal malls (or shopping centres as we call them) are going gangbusters. They keep getting bigger and they are regularly renovated to keep them cutting edge. They're absolute chaos on a weekend. Very difficult to get a park, etc.

It seems that in Australia, as long as a shopping strip has a major supermarket like Coles or Woolies, it will do fine. The retail apocalypse is nowhere near striking Australia.

Then again, we don't have Amazon. Yet.

shandy706

The small mall near where I work was down to like 20 shops from 75+ about 8 years ago.

For some reason it has shot back up though. Went to pick up a Clemson hat I ordered at lids.com. The place was packed on Saturday. I'd say there were at least 50+ shops open again. I was really surprised.

pixelation

This is really sad to me, buying online pales to making a purchase in the flesh. And some cities are beginning to look like legit ghost towns.

digdug2k

Having just moved to thailand, it's crazy to me how big and busy malls are here. Like multiple huge huge huge malls all stacked next to each other covering all of downtown and bigger ones out in the suburbs. I guess online ordering is pretty shit though, and I've heard it's just so hot people go to the malls to get some free ac.

I think if anything kills B&N it will be the massive square footage they have to pay for each month. Physical books still have appeal - far more than games do, I would argue, and they're the only place around to buy them locally.
Completely agree with your first point, the company's hollow in more ways than one. I would have said their long tail demand for obscure books could save their online and spare the in-store overhead, but I don't think their online is all that.

Another poster mentioned coffee, and that's easily the most crowded section of my B&N (It's a Starbucks, which I assume most are). Starbucks pushed the lifestyle to relax and hang out in store, and it makes sense that it worked its way into B&N. But don't you think this is somewhat at odds with the company's goal? Surely they want people to hang around and enjoy themselves, but they can't position themselves as a library. And now I'm imagining libraries with Starbucks in them...Hmmm. Actually a Starbucks opened right near that B&N recently, complete cannibalization. Time will tell if it sucks B&N's lifeblood, but B&N isn't looking to hot in my eyes.

But Gamestop, of course they won't last in this shifting marketplace, I think management is keeping it lean enough to have longer legs (than Barnes) though. It's just the business they're in, they can have a lot of small stores for wide coverage, and they know when to shut 'em down. A B&N closing is proportionately a harder blow to B&N underlying. Maybe I'm underestimating the adoption rate of digital gaming, but I'm reminded of e-book hype which wasn't a TKO IMO.

Their massive expansion was very recent, and they did a lot of it by building across the street from Walgreens. I'm guessing they found out a lot of those locations, the Walgreens there was barely hanging on itself.
There's a CVS in downtown LA literally across the street from a Walgreens.. haha

Looking at the list I'm not surprised. These stores have been killed by online or by similar competition. We live in a time where u can't expect your company to be around for 50 years anymore.

I am forced to order the majority of my clothes. None of the stores near me, within 50 miles, carry the clothing I want.

Example

Old Navy doesn't carry big and tall sizes in its stores. I'm forced to order the tall clothing, which is regular sized clothing if you lived​ in the 70s or 80s.

Adidas Super Nova Boost, or any decent athletic shoe at a decent price for that matter, isn't sold in brick and mortar stores. I'm specifically taking about running shoes where the heels are not made of cardboard​.

These stores want to sell the cheapest made products for the highest markup.

Has there been the technology for us to upload our body then try the clothes of an online store yet?

Even then, it'll be missing that feel when you actually wear real clothes. I hope retails will always be there.

Has there been the technology for us to upload our body then try the clothes of an online store yet?

Even then, it'll be missing that feel when you actually wear real clothes. I hope retails will always be there.

Some online suit places are starting to offer a spot where you can input your measurements so that suits can be matched to size. You always need additional tailoring so it's not a catch-all solution but still. I imagine more casual clothing should be easier.

blackjaw

Completely agree with your first point, the company's hollow in more ways than one. I would have said their long tail demand for obscure books could save their online and spare the in-store overhead, but I don't think their online is all that.

Another poster mentioned coffee, and that's easily the most crowded section of my B&N (It's a Starbucks, which I assume most are). Starbucks pushed the lifestyle to relax and hang out in store, and it makes sense that it worked its way into B&N. But don't you think this is somewhat at odds with the company's goal? Surely they want people to hang around and enjoy themselves, but they can't position themselves as a library. And now I'm imagining libraries with Starbucks in them...Hmmm. Actually a Starbucks opened right near that B&N recently, complete cannibalization. Time will tell if it sucks B&N's lifeblood, but B&N isn't looking to hot in my eyes.

But Gamestop, of course they won't last in this shifting marketplace, I think management is keeping it lean enough to have longer legs (than Barnes) though. It's just the business they're in, they can have a lot of small stores for wide coverage, and they know when to shut 'em down. A B&N closing is proportionately a harder blow to B&N underlying. Maybe I'm underestimating the adoption rate of digital gaming, but I'm reminded of e-book hype which wasn't a TKO IMO.

It's funny you say this.

My wife took my kids to B&N yesterday with my three year old and one year old and people trying to "relax and read" were looking at her sideways as two happy children were in the kids section trying to find a book.

Lady (non-employee) asked her if the kids could be quiet and she left without purchasing the two or three books she was going to get out of embarrassment/anger.

It's a store, not a library. The "relax and read a book that you didn't purchase" culture is probably going to be the death of B&N.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's funny you say this.

My wife took my kids to B&N yesterday with my three year old and one year old and people trying to "relax and read" were looking at her sideways as two happy children were in the kids section trying to find a book.

Lady (non-employee) asked her if the kids could be quiet and she left without purchasing the two or three books she was going to get out of embarrassment/anger.

It's a store, not a library. The "relax and read a book that you didn't purchase" culture is probably going to be the death of B&N.

That's been half of their appeal for decades. If they die that won't be why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom