• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

JanKowalski

Neo Member
I did. Took me 23 minutes, without source access. (I dedicate this to the people that told me I'm unreasonable when I lambasted From for not doing something that takes a few hours at most in the other thread)

data2012-08-2319-29-00ojjb.png

(This is rendering at 2048x1440 noAA btw.)

I'll make a thread when it's in a state ready to release

Why are you rendering at 2048x1440 (2x original)? Wouldn't it be better to render at 1536x1080 (1.5x original)? Screens are 1080p.

Quality should be the same, but less taxing on GPU.

LegatoB

I'll pick this up as soon as we get it confirmed that Durante's framebuffer fix works on GFWL. That was the only thing holding me back.

stabwound

Neo Member
What the hell?

Does the game run unplayably badly at high resolutions, or what? What other good reason could there be for From to have locked the game at low resolution when it is apparently trivial to unlock it for higher resolutions?

Wow, Durante doing what an entire team wouldn't. Thank you so much! I'm one step close to buying it now. Only thing holding me back is the framerate.

Tain

Maybe they were super paranoid about having to test multiple resolutions or something.

That's pretty much the only guess I can make.

Deadstar

What the hell?

Does the game run unplayably badly at high resolutions, or what? What other good reason could there be for From to have locked the game at low resolution when it is apparently trivial to unlock it for higher resolutions?

Maybe 1920 x 1080 will be released through paid dlc?

zkylon

zkylewd
So we should set up a Paypal account and all gift Durante Borderlands 2 or something.

23 fucking minutes man...

Eusis

Guess I'll buy from steam now considering it's THAT easy to fix the resolution. I assume uncapping the frame rate will be pretty easy as well.
I imagine that won't be. Resolution locking is absurd outside of 2D games where there's the simple matter of assets not being designed for higher resolutions, many emulators have shown you could take any 3D console game and run it at a MUCH higher resolution than originally intended, so locking this made no sense. It's not unheard of however for PC ports to have issues with FPS unlocking, From Dust ran at double speed (or higher!) and L.A. Noire had some weird issues crop up. At best I seriously do expect this one will have the physics stuff run at 30 FPS, much like Bioshock on PC or when the FPS limit is removed on 360.

Taruranto

I did. Took me 23 minutes, without source access. (I dedicate this to the people that told me I'm unreasonable when I lambasted From for not doing something that takes a few hours at most in the other thread)

data2012-08-2319-29-00ojjb.png

(This is rendering at 2048x1440 noAA btw.)

I'll make a thread when it's in a state ready to release

I can't decide if i want to facepalm or feel happy for this.
Maybe both.

So looks like 16x9 framebuffers work well. It's not locked to anamorphic rendering.

I guess I'll get this ready to release in a few hours -- a few things to do still, like reading rendering res from some config file and cutting down on debug logging (currently produces ~100MB/minute)).

I'll make a thread then.

Will be a config file.

Unlocked aspect ratio.

The executable is unmodified.

It's not the same exactly, but it uses the same method to deliver its "payload". So if FXAA injectors work with GFWL (I don't know if they do) this should as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'll stop replying for now otherwise I'll never get the release done. Talk about the game or something, I'll be back in a few hours!

Thank you for the clarification. Let me know when you put up the thread in case I miss it. I'll link to it. Well done, well fucking done.

I decided to keep my PS3 version and skip the PC release after the resolution news, but Durante is making it very hard to resist right now.

I see where you are coming from, but GMG has had several opportunities to get it for 20% or more off retail. In fact, you probably still can with the coupon they have up right now.

Just a heads up, not biting your face off.

New thread title. Nice.

Interesting, brings it down to ~$32. Might jump on that later this evening. Thanks for the heads up.

I have to imagine this will get a bit of publicity as well. It's embarrassing for FROM to not have done what Durante did in 23 minutes.

SublimeO12

Neo Member
Does anyone know if you'll be able to use the "matchmaking" to co-op with friends easily? Or is it going to be limited to only random matchmaking?

Blizzard

Banned
One reason people were saying the resolution was locked was that the game would kick you out if it ever dropped below 30 fps, or am I just confused about that?

Also, I notice the HUD seems identical...I'm guessing the mod just affects the 3D rendering and the HUD is added after that? Or it just looks the same because the asset is low-res?

I need to read up on this game. I wasn't really interested, but I'm at least interested enough to learn some of the details. Is this the one where other people from the internet affect your game somehow, and there's not a way to avoid that?

Is there a way to see sales of a game per hour? I know seeing Durante's posts made me go buy it. I wonder how many sales they made in time since he started posting those.

rybrad

So Durante fixing this in 23 minutes makes a lot of people look really bad, especially that ex-Ubisoft Dark Souls fanboy with his tirade against "entitled" PC gamers. Really happy that the resolution won't be an issue as it was the major hangup I had, rest is tolerable.

epmode

This may be a silly question but will it be possible to run this mod in native 16:10 resolutions? I don't mind black bars but upscaling is the devil.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Amazing. Durante is now king of GAF.

Looks like I might be buying this sooner rather than later. No expectations or anything, but wouldn't it be pretty damn easy for FROM to patch in resolution options?

Great work Durante. Good to see the PC is getting what it wants as this is a great series.

Honestly I couldn't care less if From didn't put as much effort towards the technical side. The initial game design is what matters to me. Plus I know what it is like to be in software dev and there can be a thousand reasons for something like this not going though. From company politics to deadlines to budget to risk... etc. Modders don't have to face these same issues so sometimes it can be more beneficial to let them make the necessary changes.

For those that don't realize it, even a change that takes less than an hour to implement can have drastic unforeseen effects on other things and as such dozens upon dozens of testing hours gets put into ensuring something like this doesn't have any downfalls. Because if a company breaks a release they take TONS more flak than a modder who didn't consider how it would affect feature 'x'. I hate that reasoning just as much as everyone else, but thinking putting in a fix like this is really as easy as it actually is means you aren't fully aware of what goes on behind the scenes.

Again AMAZING work Durante and people like you are what pushes games to their limits and forces companies to step up and meet the expectations. ;) Company inner workings should be no excuse for a feature this important. I'd say that every obstacle would have been worth having it from the get go.

Then again maybe they didn't do it on purpose cuz they knew how easy it was and that a situation like this may spark a sense of camaraderie in the community... like that feeling you get in DS/DkS when a stranger helps you beat that boss you've been stuck on for days. Little do you know you are playing their game right now. ;)

Dont want to be a party pooper but I cant stop thinking that maybe at some point in the game, it will just blow up or be unplayable at custom resolutions.

I just want to understand how a team of devs that have programmed stuff for complicated multi-threaded consoles is not capable of doing what a hobbiest programmer can do in 23 minutes.

I refuse to believe they are that incompetent.

Top Bottom