• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Weevilone

If you look up failure rates for components, nearly all average around 5%, if that.

Puget systems posts a yearly "Most Reliable PC Hardware" article on their site with plenty of information on this.

Bad experiences are more likely to be posted about as opposed to satisfactory experiences.

I'm certainly not trying to diminish your personal experience, but I felt it'd be useful to clarify this, for anyone who is concerned about this stuff.

I understand that anything can break. I also understand that some companies take care of their customers when this happens and some do not. Asus does not.

AtlAntA

Does MSI Afterburner (v4.3.0.9267) report the correct clocks for the 1080 Ti?

My EVGA FE came in the mail today and right away reported 1837 MHz for the core during a Unigine Heaven 4.0 benchmark. According to everything I've been able to find, reference boost clock is 1582 MHz. A little adjustment to max power and fan speeds and I pushed it to 2000 MHz with no artifacting and just stopped. Surely this is some kind of software bug, right? Those are water cooling levels of OC. The memory reports correctly at 5508 MHz.

It's correct. You are watching gpu boost 3.0 doing its work. Google it for more information.

dr_rus

Does MSI Afterburner (v4.3.0.9267) report the correct clocks for the 1080 Ti?

My EVGA FE came in the mail today and right away reported 1837 MHz for the core during a Unigine Heaven 4.0 benchmark. According to everything I've been able to find, reference boost clock is 1582 MHz. A little adjustment to max power and fan speeds and I pushed it to 2000 MHz with no artifacting and just stopped. Surely this is some kind of software bug, right? Those are water cooling levels of OC. The memory reports correctly at 5508 MHz.

Official boost clocks is basically the lower limit your card will run on in normal conditions under super heavy load, under usual load the clocks will be significantly higher automatically. This has been the case for NV h/w since Kepler launch and GPU boost introduction.

I consider myself a pretty patient person usually, but this Strix stuff is a bit frustrating. I was waiting for it because I liked the reviews and have had good luck with my past Strix cards. But all this time waiting I've been reading comments and doing research and really, I'm debating if I should stick it out or look into other options.

Compsiox

Banned
I consider myself a pretty patient person usually, but this Strix stuff is a bit frustrating. I was waiting for it because I liked the reviews and have had good luck with my past Strix cards. But all this time waiting I've been reading comments and doing research and really, I'm debating if I should stick it out or look into other options.
Id get an evga card preorder just in case.

It's correct. You are watching gpu boost 3.0 doing its work. Google it for more information.

Official boost clocks is basically the lower limit your card will run on in normal conditions under super heavy load, under usual load the clocks will be significantly higher automatically. This has been the case for NV h/w since Kepler launch and GPU boost introduction.

I see. Thanks for the info. I haven't bothered with overclocking GPUs since the Fermi generation which would explain how I've managed to not absorb any information about clock rates from the past couple years.

JCH!

Id get an evga card preorder just in case.

That's what I did.

I pre-ordered the FTW but if I can get my hands on a Strix before that I will cancel it.

Heard horror stories about the ASUS customer support but I've been using their products for years and have yet to have a problem...

Here's one for you: since the new cards are practically the same price as watercooled Founder's Editions from Overclockers, should I just go with one of those? I want to order the PC this week.

I'm likely not going to hold on for a partner card at this stage. Since I'm getting a case with sound dampening anyway maybe I should just get the blower. IDK.

FWIW I'm really happy with the Strix. The GPU clock is consistently boosted to 1970Mhz and max temp is 64c at 35% fan speed. It's also super quiet!

The Dude

It's a bummer I gotta wait a month for my ftw3, but that will be a glorious day. Wish it was shipping mid month instead

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
That's what I did.

I pre-ordered the FTW but if I can get my hands on a Strix before that I will cancel it.

Heard horror stories about the ASUS customer support but I've been using their products for years and have yet to have a problem...

Or you can sell it to me. :)

That's what I did.

Kinda kicking myself for letting that FTW sell out before I considered it. Live and learn :)

I'm happy with my 1080 Strix and I don't mind waiting for the 1080 Ti Strix.

My 1080 Strix happily boosted to 2050 out of the box. I'm only able to wring another 10 out of it OCing it manually. GPU Boost 3.0 is a bit crazy.

I'm happy with my 1080 Strix and I don't mind waiting for the 1080 Ti Strix.

My 1080 Strix happily boosted to 2050 out of the box. I'm only able to wring another 10 out of it OCing it manually. GPU Boost 3.0 is a bit crazy.

Yeah you're probably right to wait. I'm just anxious to push my 1440p monitor I got in anticipation for this card. I'm running it on a 970 right now.

Hybris

Yeah you're probably right to wait. I'm just anxious to push my 1440p monitor I got in anticipation for this card. I'm running it on a 970 right now.

Exactly my setup at the moment. Even though there aren't many big pc releases coming up, 970 doesn't cut it at 1440p. I bought the monitor in anticipation of this gpu upgrade.

Kevin

Well I thought the Asus Strix and some of the other cards were going to hit this month. Especially since the Asus press release indicated a late March launch but we are just two days away from April and not even a peep from any of the companies. Quite disappointing especially since the Asus Strix is already being solid overseas for quite some time now. Not sure what the hold up in the states is.

I was hoping the EVGA card would pop up on newegg. I have a $400 gift card I want to use so I'm kinda stuck buying from newegg 😔. Oh well I guess I can wait another month or two.

Well the ASUS Facebook link I found on Reddit shows ASUS excited about the Strix launch in the next couple weeks. I'd link, but bad on mobile. It was posted a couple hours ago.

Pagusas

Elden Member
If a strix becomes available before FTW, I'll jump on it.

What do you guys think I should sell my TI FE for when I get the FTW or Strix? And whats the safest place to sell it to avoid scams?

Kevin

Well the ASUS Facebook link I found on Reddit shows ASUS excited about the Strix launch in the next couple weeks. I'd link, but bad on mobile. It was posted a couple hours ago.

Well I hope this means around April 11/12th otherwise I will have to go with a different card. :/

Compsiox

Banned
If a strix becomes available before FTW, I'll jump on it.

What do you guys think I should sell my TI FE for when I get the FTW or Strix? And whats the safest place to sell it to avoid scams?

There is no way to truly avoid scams. You could try the gaf sell thread or sell it face to face through Craigslist.

dr_rus

MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X Review

Very impressive card:

index.php
index.php

index.php
index.php

Performance advantage over FE is rather minimal though, as you'd expect from a minor factory OC. Still, I'll think about getting one once they'll become available.

Partner cards are always delayed like this. The 1080 custom cooler models didn't start showing up until a month after the 1080 FE too. The AIB vendor does actually need to design PCBs, manufacture test units, validate cooling systems, progress to manufacturing retail units, and eventually ship them around the world. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are consumer electronics.

dr_rus

all these reviews but the cards aren't hitting the market yet...

wonder if Nvidia went too early with their launch and didn't give partners enough time

Some (simpler) custom cards have hit the market already. It's that the demand is so high that whatever is shipped to stores is bought in an instant. It doesn't matter when NV would've launched the card as the initial demand would always be the same.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Some (simpler) custom cards have hit the market already. It's that the demand is so high that whatever is shipped to stores is bought in an instant. It doesn't matter when NV would've launched the card as the initial demand would always be the same.

Crazy that demand is this high for a $700+ card. Does this mean the middle class is actually doing well? lol

Xyber

Cool, price for the MSI Gaming X got lowered in a store here so I put an order on that one now as well.

So now I have 2 Gigabyte Aorus and one MSI ordered on 3 different sites, time to see which one ships first.

Got a friend with a busted 970 who is buying my 1080, so I want a new card as soon as possible.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
With my first session done, I've learned that the 1080ti runs Breath of the Wild really, really well in 4K.

Must have been quite a few people preorder as a place holder for the FTW to go back on sale. Still wondering about that all black beauty though...

*edit*. Nvm, appears this was a planned second batch release.

Top Bottom