• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

killroy87

In terms of USB charging I'll be getting something like this Anker charger:

This one specifically is only $13 bucks and should add a good amount of playtime to the Switch on the go.

I have this, and it isn't even powerful enough to initiate rapid charging on my Pixel.

There's no way it puts that much power into the Switch.

japtor

Please share with us the power rating for charging the Switch? I'm sure many people are dying to know if their USB gear will work with it.
(...already posted earlier, but here goes again)

5-15V/2.6A, or 13-39W. Most (all?) standard USB-A chargers seem to max out at 5V/2.4A (12W), so that's the biggest question about whether or not they'll work. To get more it seems like you need to step up to USB-C ones to get to 3A (the official car adapter is listed as 5V/3A). It doesn't seem like that Benson Leung guy has tested out too many USB-C batteries so I don't know which ones are possibly hazardous.

I wouldn't buy now to be safe but if you do, be wary of the ones with big numbers cause they just add up the total power to ports, you have to look into the details. Like I saw a five port 50W charger, but each port was limited to 5V/2A (10W). Or 4.8A, when it's two 2.4A ports. (Edit: exactly like the Anker 4.8A battery linked in the OP actually)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
$70. The UHS-1 speed class seems to guarantee a transfer rate of up to 300MB/s, so that should max out load times for the Switch depending on its storage controller (an iPhone 7 gets 400MB/s read speeds from its internal storage). Write speeds are guaranteed to be better than 10MB/s.
You're thinking of UHS-2. UHS-1 does ~50MB/s or ~105MB/s, depending on interface clock. Most UHS-1 SD cards out there do 45MB/s or 95MB/s, respectively.

japtor

That's Quick Charge, which is a proprietary Qualcomm protocol.

Nintendo seems to be using USB-PD instead. Different protocol.
A bit more info:
https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/cEvVQLXhyRX

QC over USB-C would technically violate the spec too, while USB-PD (power delivery) is iirc only for USB-C...so maybe just look for USB-C chargers with power delivery. If they mention QC they should have a USB-A port as well and hopefully only provide it over that port.

Why the USB adaptor, doesn't the switch come with one? I understand a portable power supply one, that's fine but a cable? Why not just take the one that comes with the system.

SO based on that article

I should focus less on USB C and more on the charger itself and what Switch can support

We have specs on the Switch charger right?

Vitacat

Haven't been keeping up with all the Switch details, and am thinking of buying one close to launch.

Quick question: will I need to buy an SD card for it, if I'm buying physical games?

Thanks.

Lom1lo

Haven't been keeping up with all the Switch details, and am thinking of buying one close to launch.

Quick question: will I need to buy an SD card for it, if I'm buying physical games?

Thanks.

No at first not, in the long run maybe if you buy much dlc or if there are patches

Lexxism

Thanks.
If you are going 100% retail, then no. You don't need an sd card. Switch doesn't install games like HD twins do.

Thanks.

At some point its inevitable, patches, dlc and saves they'll eventually fill it

Theonik

(...already posted earlier, but here goes again)

5-15V/2.6A, or 13-39W. Most (all?) standard USB-A chargers seem to max out at 5V/2.4A (12W), so that's the biggest question about whether or not they'll work. To get more it seems like you need to step up to USB-C ones to get to 3A (the official car adapter is listed as 5V/3A). It doesn't seem like that Benson Leung guy has tested out too many USB-C batteries so I don't know which ones are possibly hazardous.

I wouldn't buy now to be safe but if you do, be wary of the ones with big numbers cause they just add up the total power to ports, you have to look into the details. Like I saw a five port 50W charger, but each port was limited to 5V/2A (10W). Or 4.8A, when it's two 2.4A ports. (Edit: exactly like the Anker 4.8A battery linked in the OP actually)
I should clarify that I was being facetious since we have no evidence at present that would indicate any charger or powerbank someone buys now will work on the switch like you said. If the car charger rating is accurate, most won't work so one needs to be really careful. I'm just annoyed to see many posts suggesting people buy gear in anticipation of the switch in spite of that.

Deft Beck

I ended up with like five USB-C cords due to an incompetent Chinese OEM (tried to order iPhone charging cables) from AliExpress. Cable-wise, I should be set.

Card-wise, I dunno. Depends on how much digital offerings there will be. If it's anything like the 3DS then I'll try to get a biggun.

_woLf

Gonna go ahead and bookmark this thread for March 3rd...

I am waiting on buying any charge cables until we see how third party stuff behaves with the switch.

tenchir

Do not buy any charger or battery bank unless we know more about the charging spec of the Nintendo Switch.

I think the Nintendo Switch unit itself will charge fine with a 15W(5V/3A) USB-C compliant charger, but I know for sure that the dock itself requires 39W(15V/2.6A) looking at this image of the back of the switch. It needs that much power for the USB ports on it and charging the controllers.

SDKmihB.png

I would wait until the Switch is out before buying anything. Don't buy any charger period like googles 60W charger or Apple's 60W or 87W charger since their spec is weird. The google 60W charger only has support for 15W(5V/3A), 36W(12V/3A), and 60W(20V/3A). Apple does their own thing and have like 12W(5V/2.4A), 29W14.5V/2A), etc.....

japtor

Im still unsure why it takes a USB C charger 3+ hours to charge a 4000+ mAh battery

3 hours seems slow for that capacity

http://thewirecutter.com/blog/quick-charge-usb-c/

Hmmm doing some research now
Well 3 hours or whatever to full doesn't necessarily mean it at a linear rate. I'm guessing most stuff charges on a curve where it starts fast and ends slow for reasons mentioned there and the Switch probably isn't that different. But until it comes out and they don't say, time to 50% or 80% or whatever could be anything.
Why the USB adaptor, doesn't the switch come with one? I understand a portable power supply one, that's fine but a cable? Why not just take the one that comes with the system.
For me I'd get one for my room or something, like keep the dock on the living room TV but have a charger in my room so I can play/charge at night without having to go back down to charge it.
SO based on that article

I should focus less on USB C and more on the charger itself and what Switch can support

We have specs on the Switch charger right?
...yes we have specs. Just read some posts in this thread. Or in this page alone even.
I saw the Anker Powerbank posted but, would this, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ZO46LK/?tag=neogaf0e-20 one be a bit better since it's up to 6A through a USB-C port
In theory it should work fine. Might as well wait to be safe unless you have an immediate use for it.

And that "6A" is from 2.4A USB-A (x2?) and a 3A USB-C port? I have no clue how that's supposed to add up to 6A.
I ended up with like five USB-C cords due to an incompetent Chinese OEM (tried to order iPhone charging cables) from AliExpress. Cable-wise, I should be set.
...unless they're shoddy USB-C cables.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
If you are going 100% retail, then no. You don't need an sd card. Switch doesn't install games like HD twins do.
Good to know. I was all set on buying a SD Card for my Switch, because 32GB doesn't seem like a lot considering on my old 500GB PS4 I ran out of space and I only buy physical games.

Lexxism

Good to know. I was all set on buying a SD Card for my Switch, because 32GB doesn't seem like a lot considering on my old 500GB PS4 I ran out of space and I only buy physical games.
Patches might fill up the 32gb storage depending on the game. You can just buy a 32gb sd which cost like $10. You probably wouldn't be bothering on it until you bought a lot of games I think.

zelas

Patches might fill up the 32gb storage depending on the game. You can just buy a 32gb sd which cost like $10. You probably wouldn't be bothering on it until you bought a lot of games I think.
Patches and dlc. Dlc easily could fill 32gb.

I just received my order of an Anker PowerLine+ 3ft USB-C to USB 3.0 for like 5 bucks I think.

Then I just realized that I have next to nothing that has a USB-C opening. I hope the Switch does.

Ashler

I'm going to wait until we have speed tests with different SD cards. I want to know if the Switch supports the speed of SDXC II cards ( up to 150Mb/s). If so, I'd bite the bullet and get a more expensive SD card before I go all digital.

Akoi

I have a 64GB U-3 card I will be using with it at launch. When the info comes out that says if it takes advantage of my U-3 card or not will help me decide if I get a 200gb U-1 or 128GB U-3 post launch.

This might be a stupid question, but:

If I don't buy an SD card at launch and just insert one later, it should be fine, right? Like it won't have to reformat the system?

I can't remember how it worked with the Wii U and 3DS

In terms of USB charging I'll be getting something like this Anker charger:

This one specifically is only $13 bucks and should add a good amount of playtime to the Switch on the go.

Way to tiny to make a big difference with the switch. You'll have to go bigger than that to get a decent charge.

Is there any reason to believe that the USB C cables that come with the Nexus 6p won't work with the Switch? Rapid charge horror stories have me paranoid.

EDIT: Read tenchir's post. It's nice to see that the industry has completely forgotten the lessons learned during the 90s where every damn vendor has their own special connector.

japtor

If that works to play and charge (handheld only of course) then...any other cheap 2.4A USB-A charger should work. You could probably get a cable and charger for less than that, or decent chance you already have a 2.4A charger.

I think a 200 or 256GB microSDXC card might be a good investment. Will definitely buy one down the road. During that transition time my 128GB card will have to (and probably will) suffice. Will personally go for SanDisk or Kingston, as those are cheap but definitely do the trick and won't die any time soon.

The way I see it, everyone should wait as long as they absolutely can before buying an SD card. The prices are dropping over time. I'll be using a 64gb SD card that I already own until I fill it up

I'm getting this battery bank from Aukey, USB C, 30000 mAh:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F8IRIN0/?tag=neogaf0e-20
54.99US$

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01FTI023C/
34.99€ with code AZ9DJWBH

Capacity: 30000mAh
Micro-USB Input: 5V 2.4A
USB C key in / Output: 5V 3A
Output 1 (Quick charge 3.0): 3.6V-6.5V/3A, 6.5V-9V/2A, 9V-12V/1.5A
Output 2 (AiPower): 5V 2.4A
Dimensions: 5.9'' × 3.3'' × 1.1''
Weight: 20.4 Oz

I saw that one but it's a bit big for me, was originally going to get an Anker one but now I'm interested in this RAVpower. It has a quick charge input port, so if I get say this wall charger to go with it then it'll improve charging times for the battery bank.

I think what you really just need to look out for with the Switch is to get something that actually has a USB-C output port for 5v/3a charging. A USB-A charging port using an A to C cable is seemingly limited to 5v/2.4a max and while that may end up charging the Switch, it'd be slower.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I'll mostly use mine as a console so the power adapter cord will be velco tied in with all the other wire mess in my TV set up.

So I'll want some charger block with a few USB ports that I can use when playing in portable mode/traveling and also use to charge my phone etc. to not have to lug multiple charger bricks.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
http://m.ebay.com/itm/322419941377?_mwBanner=1

Ordered up this Samsung Evo + 256GB on ebay for $39.99 with free shipping from China. Got shipping notification straight away. Should be received anywhere from Feb. 25 - Mar. 17. I can live with the timing. Used PayPal, should be OK if if it doesn't get here and I need to dispute.

Top Bottom