• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Megasoum

Banned
How is the performance on the garage menu? I haven't downloaded it yet but it sounded like some people were getting low fps in the menus because of it. Obviously this is just the first week it's showed up though. Is there an option to disable it?

Hmm good question, didn't notice any performance issues with the menu navigation. Other than that I don't really care if I don't hit 60 fps on the car slowly rotating in the background hehehe. Anyway I was too mesmerized by the truck load of jaggies everywhere to notice anything else lol.

Edit: I just checked and I'm stable at 60fps in the menu with everything set to ultra. But then again, it looks kinda terrible so I'm not sure that the menu are actually using the ingame settings so who knows.

Darkdeus

A few more unedited Pagani pics!

7518908556_8838f41e84_b.jpg

7518913034_13b4bb31e0_b.jpg

7518919812_dae2d249cf_b.jpg

7518902202_04d933361c_b.jpg

7518903410_f030e252df_b.jpg

Mascot

This thread has convinced me, for the first time in decades, to think seriously about PC gaming. Especially if Forza continues its soft-core anti-motorsport direction.

Edit: but PC gaming still fucking terrifies me. All that tweaking to get best results, all the different component/spec permutations... It would kill me.

Blizzard

Banned
Darkdeus, do you have a link to the Kelnor (if I got the name right) FXAA injection settings that you're using for those lovely colors?

Arucardo

Hmm good question, didn't notice any performance issues with the menu navigation. Other than that I don't really care if I don't hit 60 fps on the car slowly rotating in the background hehehe. Anyway I was too mesmerized by the truck load of jaggies everywhere to notice anything else lol.

Edit: I just checked and I'm stable at 60fps in the menu with everything set to ultra. But then again, it looks kinda terrible so I'm not sure that the menu are actually using the ingame settings so who knows.

Yeah, the menu doesn't really render anything, I get 400+ fps without v-sync on, it's just a "video" of the car.

Dilly

Banned
Sure about that? The models got changed to Ultra in the latest build and there was a bug that the lightning changed if you raced on a track with morning/evening/night settings.

I think it's rendered now, the old menu was a video. That and the menu stutters for me.

_machine

Sure about that? The models got changed to Ultra in the latest build and there was a bug that the lightning changed if you raced on a track with morning/evening/night settings.

I think it's rendered now, the old menu was a video. That and the menu stutters for me.
My menu is very, very sluggish too and doesn't look too gorgeous, but that should get fixed soon hopefully.

This thread has convinced me, for the first time in decades, to think seriously about PC gaming. Especially if Forza continues its soft-core anti-motorsport direction.

Edit: but PC gaming still fucking terrifies me. All that tweaking to get best results, all the different component/spec permutations... It would kill me.
Isn't CARS planned to release on next gen consoles?

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
I just bought the 10€ license. Did I chose wrong? it seems I only miss exclusive cars and weekly build

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I wish they'd just have some presets. Eg I have a DFGT, just give me settings that make it feel good. I can leave the fiddling to the experts

_machine

You can pay the difference and upgrade at any time, you're also not getting country roads.
It's also worth mentioning that whether you pay 10€ or 25€ you'll get your tool pack cost off the price of the game, off course if you're not going to buy the game you'll not benefit from it in that way but you'll most likely get atleast your money back from the profits.

I wish they'd just have some presets. Eg I have a DFGT, just give me settings that make it feel good. I can leave the fiddling to the experts
That's the way it should be and is for my Momo; I think the default settings fit me pretty well, but they don't always match everyone's personal tastes and they're are WIP a the moment, but you shouldn't need to tweak the game to make it feel good.

Did anyone try this game with 3d Vision so far? Does this work? I'm convinced and buying anyway as soon as my registration email comes in. Just wanted to know in advance :)

mclaren777

Those CARS shots put GT5 to utter shame.

The geometry in pCARS is fantastic, but I still think GT5 looks more natural and believable (and iRacing trumps them both IMO).

There's just something about the shaders/lighting in pCARS that makes the cars look Photoshopped into the environments.

Dilly

Banned
The geometry in pCARS is fantastic, but I still think GT5 looks more natural and believable (and iRacing trumps them both IMO).

There's just something about the shaders/lighting in pCARS that makes the cars look Photoshopped into the environments.

I defintaly don't agree with that.

What is the best(read: accurate) AA solution for this? I'm on a GTX680 so which ever is the most computationally expensive isn't really an issue.

I have the option of MSAA x8 and SMAA x2, but SMAA x2 also turns on PP-SMAA by default, which i don't really want.

I cant believe how beautiful this looks, maybe as good as GT5 premium cars.

Easily superior to GT5 premium cars.

_machine

What is the best(read: accurate) AA solution for this? I'm on a GTX680 so which ever is the most computationally expensive isn't really an issue.

I have the option of MSAA x8 and SMAA x2, but SMAA x2 also turns on PP-SMAA by default, which i don't really want.
I think MSAA x8 is the best option at the moment, but hopefully SMS will get SSAA included soon and after we might even see TXAA.

Is SMAA 4x not as option yet?

Nope, not in my game at least (249). Have they announced there will be a x4?

I'm right in thinking MSAA > SMAA though, right? I'm under the impression SMAA is the best of the MLAA/FXAA bunch. I ain't got time for any 'intelligent' blur in my game.

Megasoum

Banned
BTW anybody got a working AA flag for Nvidia Inspector for the game? I'm trying to force AA without one but it doesn't seem to work.

Mascot

Isn't CARS planned to release on next gen consoles?
What PS4/360 might offer is the main thing that's giving me pause for thought right now about jumping ship to PC sim racing. That and my love of plug 'n' play, and total fear of all the endless faffing that seems to be involved in getting a PC game to run properly. Or am I hopelessly behind the times, and PC gaming isn't the technical nightmare it used to be?

Darkdeus

Darkdeus, do you have a link to the Kelnor (if I got the name right) FXAA injection settings that you're using for those lovely colors?

Hey here's kelnor's FXAA file. http://www.sendspace.com/file/5s3696
I used his FXAA and hdr 3 which is not a good combination for racing. Too much contrast and it makes the tracks look bad. Makes for good screens tho! GT5 does have nice lightning but actual gameplay shots look like garbage. There's jaggies and low res textures everywhere. The post processed photo mode looks nothing like the actual gameplay.

fresquito

What PS4/360 might offer is the main thing that's giving me pause for thought right now about jumping ship to PC sim racing. That and my love of plug 'n' play, and total fear of all the endless faffing that seems to be involved in getting a PC game to run properly. Or am I hopelessly behind the times, and PC gaming isn't the technical nightmare it used to be?
I started playing PC games four years ago. I was a console gamer before. I've never had a problem running new games (some games can have lower performance with ATi cards and some old games are harder to run with modern OS, but that's it). Installing mods (depending on the game) can be harder, and maximizing your PC if you have a lower tier PC can be a bit confusing at first. But PC gaming is very easy, specially with tools such as Steam. Until you've never used a PC in your life, which I highly doubt.

PC gaming is much better in many areas than consoles will ever be. For starters, it isn't a closed system, which means there're lots of mods, indie games and ideas popping up kleft and right, that would never happen on consoles (DayZ, for istance).

As for pCARS, it's pretty easy. This new build comes with a launcher that auto updates when needed. There're some bugs, yes, but that's bound to happen with pre-alpha code.

disap.ed

iRacings lighting looks by far worst of these 3 IMHO.

And I think pCARS look only photoshopped with certain FXAA injector settings.

legacyzero

Banned
Why am I having trouble understanding the pricing structure?? What is the best and lowest level of entry for a broke ass like me?

Dilly

Banned
Why am I having trouble understanding the pricing structure?? What is the best and lowest level of entry for a broke ass like me?

€10 gives you an update every month, and a €10 discount on the full game. You don't have acces to the Nordschleife and the country tracks.

€25 gives you an update every week and a €25 discount on the full game. Acces to all content.

€50 gives you an update every week and a €50 discount on the full game. Acces to all content.

You can also buy the €10 option and later upgrade to the €25 option by just paying a €15 extra.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, you should be able to upgrade whenever. One thing I highly recommend, go for at least the 25 option since the country road tracks are really pretty.

mclaren777

Yeah, now add some cars to the mix and suddenly it doesn't look so good, because iRacing lighting is flat and completely prebaked.

I still prefer its aesthetic to pCARS, especially when you add cars to the mix. I think that's where pCARS currently stumbles – the tracks are spectacular, but the cars often look out-of-place due to lighting/shaders.

paskowitz

I feel like the ultimate sim would be some crazy love child of iRacing (physics, tracks, online), GT(shaders, tracks, cars) and pCARS (textures, community, immersion).

disap.ed

I still prefer its aesthetic to pCARS, especially when you add cars to the mix. I think that's where pCARS currently stumbles – the tracks are spectacular, but the cars often look out-of-place due to lighting/shaders.

That's really interesting, it is the complete opposite for me (at least ATM).

As Metalmurphy said, the cars in iRacing look completely flat (as much "videogame look" as a videogame can look IMO).
On the other hand (some) tracks in pCARS are still lacking a lot (I'm not speaking of Nords or Monaco which are in REALLY early stage, but Bathurst for example). Tracks like Suzuka though are showing where we should be heading, so I'm quite positive this will change in the next months.

ed3dfx

Slightly Mad Studios (SMS)
Did anyone try this game with 3d Vision so far? Does this work? I'm convinced and buying anyway as soon as my registration email comes in. Just wanted to know in advance :)

I just bought a 3d vision monitor yesterday and went to try new build, at the moment I couldn't get it to work. Using 304.79 beta drivers and build 249.

I have used 3d vision on it before in the past ( laptop) and it worked.. so it may be just with the current build for now thats not working.

Top Bottom